sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 21, 2020 2:39 pm  #1

Poll: Were you a fan of the Tragically Hip?

I never got this group. 

Last edited by cash (September 21, 2020 2:50 pm)

Were you a fan of the Tragically Hip?

September 21, 2020 3:40 pm  #2

Re: Poll: Were you a fan of the Tragically Hip?

Nope.  Early tunes Blow at High Dough & New Orleans Is Sinking are great songs .. but nothing else they did really resonated with me.  To each their own.

September 21, 2020 4:12 pm  #3

"rock 'n roll's been goin' downhill ever since Buddy Holly died"

John Milner, Sept. 1962

September 21, 2020 4:22 pm  #4

geo wrote:

"rock 'n roll's been goin' downhill ever since Buddy Holly died"

John Milner, Sept. 1962

👍

September 21, 2020 5:36 pm  #5

I like all kinds of music, but I've never gotten into the Hip. Guess I'm not hip.

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

September 21, 2020 5:50 pm  #6

as g121 said, their early days were solid.  i was into them until whatever came after fully completely.  however their final farewell concert was epic in the annals of Canadian music.

September 21, 2020 8:46 pm  #7

I wouldn't necessarily consider myself a diehard fan, but I do like a fair bit of their catalogue. I'd list "Last American Exit", "Small Town Bringdown", "Boots or Hearts", "Courage", "Grace, Too" and "At the Hundredth Meridian" among my favourites.

On the other hand, "New Orleans is Sinking" has turned into a classic rock cliche, IMO, due to it being overplayed so much (even the killerwhaletank version). "Twist My Arm" feels like, literally, the same chord over and over again. And I never really quite understood the point behind "My Music at Work" (the song).

PJ

Last edited by Paul Jeffries (September 22, 2020 12:44 am)

ClassicHitsOnline.com...If you enjoy hearing the same 200 songs over and over again...listen to the other guys!

September 21, 2020 9:08 pm  #8

I kind of felt like I was the only one who didn't "get" them.  I don't hate them but I don't deliberately listen to them either.   This thread makes me feel quite normal.

Sort of reminds me of the commercial where someone admits to not liking beer but being afraid to admit it because everyone else seems to drink it.

Last edited by Peter the K (September 21, 2020 9:09 pm)

September 22, 2020 12:22 am  #9

The former DJ me respected their talent and their storied place in Canada's music scene, but music lover me never wanted to, or wants to play them, if that makes sense...

September 22, 2020 12:56 am  #10

Just imagine if the Pursuit of Happiness lasted nearly 30 years, that's kinda the argument here.  sure they were good initially, but how did they evolve into that?  burn out before you fade away.  I'd compare it to U2.  Joshua Tree to the unwanted distribution on an iphone?

September 22, 2020 8:16 pm  #11

Yup, I must be un-Canadian in some people's eyes because, aside from a very few select tunes, I never understood the fuss over this band. Sure they told some intriguing stories from this land but I could only take so much of Gord Downie (rest his soul) and his vocals. 
I'm also no fan of Rush so I guess it's time to turn in my citizenship. 

September 24, 2020 2:19 pm  #12

kevjo wrote:

Yup, I must be un-Canadian in some people's eyes because, aside from a very few select tunes, I never understood the fuss over this band. Sure they told some intriguing stories from this land but I could only take so much of Gord Downie (rest his soul) and his vocals. 

Howard Stern has been arguing with callers all week who say that Rush is the best rock band of all time. 

September 24, 2020 4:26 pm  #13

cash wrote:

kevjo wrote:

Howard Stern has been arguing with callers all week who say that Rush is the best rock band of all time. 

Both those bands evoke strong feelings on the part of those people who treat them like some deity and will voice their feelings any time they are given a chance. My philosophy has always been in the "to each their own" field but let's not make these human beings into something higher. 
By the way, maybe I might get to hang on to my citizenship as I really enjoy Gordon Lightfoot.

September 24, 2020 5:03 pm  #14

Music is like wine.  Enjoy what you like, however you like it.  It's supposedly a cardinal sin but I enjoy red wine -- especially a nice cheap plonk -- refrigerated.  As long as I don't force it on somebody who doesn't like/want it, all is good.  When I serve the good stuff to guests I'm happy to serve them however they please.

Having said that, I enjoy both Motorhead and Walter Ostanek -- just not at the same time.  Even I have my limits!

September 25, 2020 9:28 am  #15

I am not really a fan of either Rush or the Tragically Hip. I can "tolerate" Rush in small amounts. The Hip, not so much. I would also fall into the to each his own category. I resent the crowd that considers you Un-Canadian if you're not a huge fan.

September 25, 2020 9:45 am  #16

Peter the K wrote:

.. Having said that, I enjoy both Motorhead and Walter Ostanek -- just not at the same time.  Even I have my limits! 

and when you listen to Walter Ostanek, so do your neighbours! : )) .. 

September 25, 2020 11:32 am  #17

Peter the K wrote:

Music is like wine.  Enjoy what you like, however you like it.  It's supposedly a cardinal sin but I enjoy red wine -- especially a nice cheap plonk -- refrigerated.  As long as I don't force it on somebody who doesn't like/want it, all is good.  When I serve the good stuff to guests I'm happy to serve them however they please.

Having said that, I enjoy both Motorhead and Walter Ostanek -- just not at the same time.  Even I have my limits!

Very well said!  I like Tragically Hip but only a few songs.  The melody of a song dictates if i like it or not, that being rock they didnt have to me, good melodies nor was I a fan of his voice (RIP).

September 25, 2020 10:00 pm  #18

g121 wrote:

Peter the K wrote:

.. Having said that, I enjoy both Motorhead and Walter Ostanek -- just not at the same time.  Even I have my limits! 

That's why I usually only listen to music in the car.    Of course it's now Oktoberfest time here in K-W, so nobody would take notice.

I listen at comfortable levels, except for one song -- Do you know what I mean by Lee Michaels.  It just begs to be cranked up to a nearly painful level.   Just like how he played it.  (I hear his penchant for playing it loud has pretty much deafened him.)

September 25, 2020 10:51 pm  #19

to me, they were ok (nothing more... nothing less). that said, their live performances were sometimes hit or miss (especially when gord appeared to be zoning out). in my opinion, those times came across as being more messy than artsy.

September 25, 2020 10:56 pm  #20

Peter the K wrote:

[Of course it's now Oktoberfest time here in K-W ... 

"Ziggy, Zaggy, Ziggy, Zaggy, Oi, Oi, Oi!”  .. I went to UofW : ))

September 26, 2020 7:56 am  #21

g121 wrote:

Peter the K wrote:

A good pair of headphones would solve this problem.

September 27, 2020 10:39 pm  #22

Interesting. I generally don't listen to contemporary music ... I tend to catch wind of music after it's long off the charts. Or if it's unusual or the style or genre interests me. So the Hip finally caught my attention when Gord Downie was seriously ill and did the concert tour and live broadcast. I was awed by his public performance when his body was quitting on him - and I would now consider myself a minor fan of their music. Wished I'd discovered it earlier, and seen them live. I like the off-beat, rough'ish sound, and lyrics are substantial IMO. I don't like my music polished ... that's maybe the main reason I don't listen much to contemp hit radio, for instance. (I also like the late 60s-80s, maybe that reflects my age - late 50s).

This did get me thinking about the contemporary artists I've not noticed until they were gone. I heard Amy Winehouse while DXing and casual listening, for instance, but would have been hard pressed to ID a song of hers. I finally gave her serious listening time when on a flight to Europe well after her passing. I was blown away by her voice, and played her Air Canada selection over and over for hours. Stan Rogers isn't pop, but I didn't discover his music until just after the fatal crash. Some friends were serious fans. Again, I was blown away and since acquired a bunch of his albums (I've kept and play my vinyl). A real powerhouse of a voice, not only innately strong but so well controlled.

I'm grateful to have found their music, disappointed they left too soon...

October 1, 2020 3:05 pm  #23

this was about the result i expected. would have been the same for rush. 

October 1, 2020 4:35 pm  #24

Even though many that took part in the poll didn't really like or get the Tragically Hip, the fact is they were huge.  Even outselling international acts like U2 in Canada.  Three diamond selling albums and many more multi-platinum with estimated sales as of this year around 8 million and just in Canada.

Granted they didn't sell much outside of the country.  But they could sell out auditoriums in places like Seattle, Detroit, Buffalo and parts of the mid west US.  Internationally pretty much unknown.

Leave it to the BBC with this great explanation of the Tragically Hip and to a certain extent Canadian culture.  This was written just after Gord Downie died.
https://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-36399891