sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 29, 2020 8:03 pm  #1

What Was The Best TV Show Airing During The Year You Were Born?

This article takes a look at one big show that was airing the year you were born - provided you came into the world from 1950 onwards. I'm less than convinced by the way they were chosen, but it's still interesting to see what you missed because zero-year-old kids rarely watch much television.

Best TV show released the year you were born 

July 29, 2020 9:08 pm  #2

Re: What Was The Best TV Show Airing During The Year You Were Born?

RadioActive wrote:

It's interesting to see what you missed because zero-year-old kids rarely watch much television.

The Carol Burnett Show was the big show that debuted the year I was born. Thankfully, due to the fact it ran for quite some time in first-runs and reruns, I didn't miss out on what was (and is) quite possibly, the funniest sketch show on TV.

PJ

ClassicHitsOnline.com...If you enjoy hearing the same 200 songs over and over again...listen to the other guys!

July 29, 2020 9:36 pm  #3

The article made me want to look at other shows that started the year I was born (1953). Some that I ended up watching when I was a little older, or at least the people who were in them, that started that year were The Danny Thomas Show,  The Tonight Show with Steve Allen and also coincidentally the Jack Paar Show and the Johnny Carson Show.

July 29, 2020 10:09 pm  #4

I was born in 1952 right during Hockey Night in Canada. So I'll go with that one. (The Leafs won).

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

July 29, 2020 10:13 pm  #5

Paul Jeffries wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

It's interesting to see what you missed because zero-year-old kids rarely watch much television.

The Carol Burnett Show was the big show that debuted the year I was born. Thankfully, due to the fact it ran for quite some time in first-runs and reruns, I didn't miss out on what was (and is) quite possibly, the funniest sketch show on TV.

PJ

It was a great show. Even the actors could barely restrain their laughter. The sketches involving Tim Conway were incredible.

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

July 29, 2020 10:27 pm  #6

This is one of my favourite Tim Conway sketches. Lionel Waggoner is completely unable to hold it together.

July 29, 2020 11:04 pm  #7

Dale Patterson wrote:

Paul Jeffries wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

PJ

It was a great show. Even the actors could barely restrain their laughter. The sketches involving Tim Conway were incredible.

Harvey Korman couldn't keep a straight face to save his life when he was in a sketch with Tim Conway!  

PJ

ClassicHitsOnline.com...If you enjoy hearing the same 200 songs over and over again...listen to the other guys!

July 29, 2020 11:15 pm  #8

Paul Jeffries wrote:

Dale Patterson wrote:

Paul Jeffries wrote:

PJ

Harvey Korman couldn't keep a straight face to save his life when he was in a sketch with Tim Conway!  

PJ

Harvey Korman as the patient and Tim Conway as the dentist...   pure hilarity,,.

July 30, 2020 1:44 am  #9

The best TV show the year I was born was ...................... oh wait. There wasn't any TV yet. lol 

July 30, 2020 7:29 am  #10

1961 ... Dick Van Dyke?  Yeah, I can agree with that.  It holds up pretty well today.

- Not an industry person.  Just a guy with a love of Toronto radio. 

July 30, 2020 7:31 am  #11

If you have Roku, you can get many episodes of The Carol Burnett Show on the Roku Channel.  Oddly, the seasons do not seem to be complete but there are a fair number episodes to watch.

Last edited by Leslieville Bill (July 30, 2020 7:31 am)

- Not an industry person.  Just a guy with a love of Toronto radio. 

July 30, 2020 7:53 am  #12

Twilight Zone and before  air checks became a thing there was this episode called "Static" that made a radio travel back in time:

Last edited by Fitz (July 30, 2020 8:31 am)

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/

July 30, 2020 9:22 am  #13

1953 for me. Lucy and another forgotten series that was a top 10 hit in four of its eight year original run. Dragnet.          I was also surprised to see the extremely short lived series Police Squad mentioned. The premiere episode used an almost identical script from the 1957-60 NBC cop show M Squad which starred Lee Marvin. Even the theme song is eerily similar.

July 30, 2020 5:16 pm  #14

Ha! For me it was Bugs Bunny...it's funny I always wanted the Road Runner to die...here in this video he actually does and it is a "existential" moment for Wylie E. Coyote...

Last edited by Muffaraw Joe (July 30, 2020 5:16 pm)

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

July 30, 2020 5:31 pm  #15

Muffaraw Joe wrote:

Ha! For me it was Bugs Bunny...it's funny I always wanted the Road Runner to die...here in this video he actually does and it is a "existential" moment for Wylie E. Coyote... 

I had never seen this until you posted it awhile back...love it!

July 30, 2020 5:34 pm  #16

I believe that was from Family Guy, not the original Warner Bros. cartoons. But it's still great. 

July 30, 2020 7:05 pm  #17

RadioActive wrote:

I believe that was from Family Guy, not the original Warner Bros. cartoons. But it's still great. 

A safe bet, given that (in addition to the different voices) you never heard the Road Runner swear;  back in the day...lol.

Last edited by Media Observer (July 30, 2020 7:07 pm)