sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 15, 2020 9:52 am  #1

Hockey Legend & Media Personality Eddie Shack In Palliative Care

The 83-year-old is in palliative care after battling cancer. It appears he does not have much time left.

You don’t have to be a hockey fan (which I’m not) to appreciate his larger-than-life personality. As a recent article in Post Media points out, he was a fixture of local radio and TV for a time.

“In retirement, Shack was a spokesman for both The Pop Shoppe and Schick razors, even agreeing to shave off his trademark handlebar for a Schick promotion.

“He was also the subject of a popular song, written by Hockey Night in Canada sportscaster Brian McFarlane, called Clear The Track, Here Comes Shack. The tune even topped the pop charts in Toronto for a couple of weeks in 1966 — getting more radio play than the Beatles or Rolling Stones.”

I was aware the song was by The Secrets, but I never knew it was written by Brian McFarlane. Anyway, spare a thought for a real entertainer. They really don't make them like that anymore. 

Eddie Shack’s Final Battle

July 15, 2020 10:02 am  #2

Re: Hockey Legend & Media Personality Eddie Shack In Palliative Care

Very sorry to read this news.  Yes he was always a great entertainer.

July 15, 2020 10:19 am  #3

July 15, 2020 10:33 am  #4

RadioActive wrote:

The 83-year-old is in palliative care after battling cancer. It appears he does not have much time left.
<snip>
Anyway, spare a thought for a real entertainer. They really don't make them like that anymore. 

I ran into the instantly-recognisable Shack, in his trademark cowboy hat, last summer at the St. Lawrence Market. I greeted him with a hearty "Clear the Track!" I reckon he gets that a lot but he smiled and acknowledged me with that big grin. He really was motoring through the crowd, clearing the track was an appropriate call.

He is a legend. We lost Red Kelly last year. There are not many left with Maple Leafs Stanley Cups rings. Although someone told me Eddie had confided in them that he had sold his cause he needed the money.

July 15, 2020 12:18 pm  #5

Eddie was always a regular at Bruno's Fine Foods on Avenue Rd. Always willing to chat with staff and customers. He wrote a book last year  with Ken Reid entitled Eddie Shack: Hockey's Most Entertaining Stories. Lots of incredible of hockey photos of course, but many personal family ones as well. How did he get uniform #23? That is what Punch Imlach assigned him. He liked it because 23 backwards looks like E.S. his initials.

July 16, 2020 5:42 am  #6

He used to sell Christmas Trees too and he had  donut shop on HWY 27 and Finch area too!

Plus he was the "Nose" for Facelle Royal kleenex...

Here's a look into his "business" ventures...including selling Christmas tree's...

http://rabidhabs.com/a-holiday-discussion-about-meeting-eddie-shack/

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

July 16, 2020 6:39 am  #7

He also frequented the Royal Bank of Canada on Avenue Road down from Bruno's. 

Unfortunately I don't think most of the tellers there (most of who were born after he retired and/or were not born in Canada) knew or appreciated who he was.

July 26, 2020 11:00 am  #8

July 26, 2020 1:06 pm  #9

Muffaraw Joe wrote:

He used to sell Christmas Trees too and he had  donut shop on HWY 27 and Finch area too!

Plus he was the "Nose" for Facelle Royal kleenex...

Here's a look into his "business" ventures...including selling Christmas tree's...

http://rabidhabs.com/a-holiday-discussion-about-meeting-eddie-shack/

I played at his golf course in Kleinburg back in the day.

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

July 26, 2020 1:34 pm  #10

As Carl alluded too 2 posts above!

Here is global news announcing the passing of Eddie...

https://globalnews.ca/news/7219084/the-entertainer-eddie-shack-was-one-of-a-kind/

Like him or hate him, he was a fan favourite and a character too!

Last edited by Muffaraw Joe (July 26, 2020 1:35 pm)

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...