sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 27, 2020 9:39 pm  #2

Re: Why Canada isn’t getting HBO Max or Hulu

Article seems to be blocked for non G&M subscribers.

June 27, 2020 10:35 pm  #3

mace wrote:

I had the same experience as it is designated "available to subscribers".  That said,  I was able to read it on my mobile (not the first time this has happened).

June 27, 2020 10:42 pm  #4

mace wrote:

sorry but i can read it for some reason. not a subscriber. 

Last edited by cash (June 27, 2020 10:43 pm)

June 28, 2020 6:42 am  #5

I tried reading the article on my smartphone this morning. Still blocked. Perhaps someone could post a Cole's Notes [showing my age] version. I suspect the reason HBO Max is a no go here is similar to why we won't see NBC Peacock. HULU, I don't know much about this service. Because it won't be available in Canada, means I would probably enjoy it.

June 28, 2020 9:01 am  #6

I pine for the days when I could just go into Incognito mode and it would let me read The Globe and Mail news.
They can take their paywall and SHOVE IT!!! What? Can't make enough money off of banner advertising???
GEEZ!!!

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

June 28, 2020 2:02 pm  #7

Mace,  personally I've discovered  that there is no guaranteed cell access;  to all otherwise blocked articles.  I'm using a 6 year old (yeah I know,  but I hate change) Sony Android.  What I have found is that on some occasions I can access articles that I am blocked from seeing on my laptop, (Windows 10/Edge). 

When it comes to the Globe,  it is hit and miss and it doesn't always work.  I'm not surprised that cash had no problems.  Out of curiosity,  I tried to access the piece twice yesterday on my laptop and it opened once and denied me access once!

Postmedia, however is a different story.  While the Sun has a 10 article/month limit,  that kicks in on my laptop;  my cell has always given me unlimited access.. The same is true of the National Post.

Last edited by Media Observer (June 28, 2020 4:53 pm)

June 29, 2020 9:38 am  #8

The long and short of the article come down to rights.  Although Bell Media has rights to most of HBO's library if HBO buys a program from an international source it doesn't automatically mean that Bell Media/Crave gets access to it.  Bell needs to negotiate with the international party and even though Bell has a deal with HBO it doesn't include HBO Max original feature films.  Same with CBS All Access programming.  Bell negotiated for the Star Trek programming while Corus/W Network bought the rights to The Good Fight.  As long as HBO, CBS, Hulu, Amazon or Peacock can make more money from selling the programming or certain libraries of programming to international partners including those in Canada the programming rights will continue to be sold piecemeal.  CBS seems to be the only one that sells marquee programs to Canadian partners while still selling their base package in Canada.  

That was the gist of the article for those interested.

June 29, 2020 10:35 am  #9

LOSat wrote:

CBS seems to be the only one that sells marquee programs to Canadian partners while still selling their base package in Canada.  

Twilight zone is a good example of that. (The new ones, not the older ones)  but I still don't understand...Did City TV choose not to carry season 2 (2020) due to low ratings?
Or were ratings actually good, (for season 1, 2019) but CBS All Access just decided not to allow a season 2 on City TV?

Last edited by Radiowiz (June 29, 2020 10:36 am)

June 29, 2020 11:11 am  #10

Another example is Seth MacFarlane's sci-fi dramedy "The Orville." Although it was originally on Fox, the show shifted after last season to Hulu. I called City TV after the announcement and they assured me they were holding onto the rights in Canada and would continue to show it over free TV here. 

That was just under a year ago, but who knows what's happened since then - or whether, with COVID, they'll even be able to get it made anytime soon. The show requires a lot of extra time for the special effects so it takes longer to produce than some other TV programs. The fact that we can't get Hulu here even if we wanted to is a real problem if you were a fan of this show and it doesn't wind up being aired here or gets gobbled up by Bell. 

June 29, 2020 11:20 am  #11

Citytv is not giving any indication whether they have season 2 of the Twilight Zone.  The article did mention that the Canadian rights holders at times do not broadcast or release the programs at the same date and time as the originating source sometimes with many months in between.  Something like Star Trek or Game Thrones pretty much has to be date and time synced.  The Good Fight probably doesn't have the cachet of the former titles, so Corus can get away with delaying it.  Besides it is something they may want to hold to fill holes in different schedules because of COVID.

June 29, 2020 11:24 pm  #12

LOSat wrote:

Citytv is not giving any indication whether they have season 2 of the Twilight Zone.  The article did mention that the Canadian rights holders at times do not broadcast or release the programs at the same date and time as the originating source sometimes with many months in between.  Something like Star Trek or Game Thrones pretty much has to be date and time synced.  The Good Fight probably doesn't have the cachet of the former titles, so Corus can get away with delaying it.  Besides it is something they may want to hold to fill holes in different schedules because of COVID.

Thanks for the info so far.

September 16, 2020 8:27 pm  #13

LOSat wrote:

Citytv is not giving any indication whether they have season 2 of the Twilight Zone. 

City TV will be airing all new Twilight zone September 28, 2020.

September 17, 2020 10:02 am  #14

Wonder if HBO Max would be on IPTV?  I need it to watch the remake of Fresh Prince of Bel-Air