sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 21, 2019 8:56 am  #1

Hit Network Show Moves Solely To Streaming Service, Outraging Fans

It's one thing when a sequel like "Star Trek:Discovery" goes on a streaming service like CBS All Access to tempt subscribers. It's quite another when an established network show - that was renewed by that network - suddenly bolts from free TV to go pay. 

But that's what's happening with Seth MacFarlane's popular "The Orville," which - despite being a ratings success for Fox - is suddenly moving to Hulu, a streaming service not available in Canada. The Star Trek homage (I will be nice and not call it a direct steal) had been airing here on City TV, although whether that will continue remains to be seen. If Rogers is smart, it will maintain the rights to the show, keeping it away from Crave and boasting it as an exclusive that you can't see anywhere else in Canada. 

Even if you're not a fan of the show, this is a rather disturbing development. Many OTA broadcast programs have migrated over to streaming but generally only after they were cancelled by their originating network. ("Designated Survivor" and "A.P. Bio" are two recent examples that come to mind.) 

But to my knowledge, this is the first currently airing hit network show that is abandoning traditional broadcast TV to try its fortunes on a subscription basis. If this move proves successful, I fear it won't be the last. And fans of the show are not surprisingly pretty angry about it, as evidenced in the comments on the linked article below. 

The Orville Moving Exclusively to Hulu for Season 3, to Premiere in Late 2020  

July 21, 2019 9:14 am  #2

Re: Hit Network Show Moves Solely To Streaming Service, Outraging Fans

Rogers aired all new Twilight zone episodes on City TV that were originally intended to only air on CBS all access, so maybe something will be worked out with Hulu for the Canadian viewers? 

July 22, 2019 3:00 pm  #3

Re: Hit Network Show Moves Solely To Streaming Service, Outraging Fans

There appears to be some good news for Canadian fans of "The Orville," which is heading to streamer Hulu in the U.S., a service unavailable here.

A source at Rogers tells me they're holding onto the Canadian rights and they expect the show will return to City TV when it comes back in 2020. Because the simsub qualifications will be removed (and because it's still so far off) it's too soon to say just what night and time it will air here, but the fact that it will remain free-to-air - and not go to Crave or Space - is great news for fans of the show north of the border, especially those of us who get it OTA.