sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 21, 2019 9:56 am  #1

Hit Network Show Moves Solely To Streaming Service, Outraging Fans

It's one thing when a sequel like "Star Trek:Discovery" goes on a streaming service like CBS All Access to tempt subscribers. It's quite another when an established network show - that was renewed by that network - suddenly bolts from free TV to go pay. 

But that's what's happening with Seth MacFarlane's popular "The Orville," which - despite being a ratings success for Fox - is suddenly moving to Hulu, a streaming service not available in Canada. The Star Trek homage (I will be nice and not call it a direct steal) had been airing here on City TV, although whether that will continue remains to be seen. If Rogers is smart, it will maintain the rights to the show, keeping it away from Crave and boasting it as an exclusive that you can't see anywhere else in Canada. 

Even if you're not a fan of the show, this is a rather disturbing development. Many OTA broadcast programs have migrated over to streaming but generally only after they were cancelled by their originating network. ("Designated Survivor" and "A.P. Bio" are two recent examples that come to mind.) 

But to my knowledge, this is the first currently airing hit network show that is abandoning traditional broadcast TV to try its fortunes on a subscription basis. If this move proves successful, I fear it won't be the last. And fans of the show are not surprisingly pretty angry about it, as evidenced in the comments on the linked article below. 

The Orville Moving Exclusively to Hulu for Season 3, to Premiere in Late 2020  

July 21, 2019 10:14 am  #2

Re: Hit Network Show Moves Solely To Streaming Service, Outraging Fans

Rogers aired all new Twilight zone episodes on City TV that were originally intended to only air on CBS all access, so maybe something will be worked out with Hulu for the Canadian viewers? 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

July 22, 2019 4:00 pm  #3

There appears to be some good news for Canadian fans of "The Orville," which is heading to streamer Hulu in the U.S., a service unavailable here.

A source at Rogers tells me they're holding onto the Canadian rights and they expect the show will return to City TV when it comes back in 2020. Because the simsub qualifications will be removed (and because it's still so far off) it's too soon to say just what night and time it will air here, but the fact that it will remain free-to-air - and not go to Crave or Space - is great news for fans of the show north of the border, especially those of us who get it OTA.

April 20, 2022 10:20 am  #4

RadioActive wrote:

There appears to be some good news for Canadian fans of "The Orville," which is heading to streamer Hulu in the U.S., a service unavailable here.

A source at Rogers tells me they're holding onto the Canadian rights and they expect the show will return to City TV when it comes back in 2020. Because the simsub qualifications will be removed (and because it's still so far off) it's too soon to say just what night and time it will air here, but the fact that it will remain free-to-air - and not go to Crave or Space - is great news for fans of the show north of the border, especially those of us who get it OTA.

Well, so much for Canadians ever getting to see "The Orville" on free TV again. The City TV rep told me a long time ago that Rogers planned to retain the rights for Canada. 

That was just a few months before Disney+ officially came online. Now it appears the show is lost in space for those who don't subscribe to that streaming service. Pity. I was a big fan of the show, but not big enough to pony up for anything Disney, one of the greediest and most reprehensible companies on the planet. 

‘The Orville: New Horizons’ Disney+ Release Date Announced (Canada)

April 20, 2022 11:01 am  #5

Multiplatforms and fragmentation... bet there is an uptick in Kodi boxes again.

April 21, 2022 12:48 am  #6

RadioActive wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

Well, so much for Canadians ever getting to see "The Orville" on free TV again. The City TV rep told me a long time ago that Rogers planned to retain the rights for Canada. 

That was just a few months before Disney+ officially came online. Now it appears the show is lost in space for those who don't subscribe to that streaming service. Pity. I was a big fan of the show, but not big enough to pony up for anything Disney, one of the greediest and most reprehensible companies on the planet. 

‘The Orville: New Horizons’ Disney+ Release Date Announced (Canada)

Depriving yourself of a show you admit you love because you won't pay the price of 4 cups of coffee.  Thanks for taking such a brave stand against tyranny.  :D

I can't understand why people don't ditch cable and cycle through the streaming services one by one.  Love the Jays?  Get Sportsnet for three months and then ditch it.  Love the Orville?  When the season ends get Disney for your free one month and then ditch it.  It has never been easier or cheaper to binge what you want and then move on.  If anyone spends money for more than one or two streaming services at a time they're doing it wrong.

April 21, 2022 7:12 am  #7

I fully understand your point of view. But mine is that I don't want to do business with companies that are unethical or gougers - and as someone who went through the C-Band days of satellite, it was Disney who led the charge to constantly make everything more expensive. They were relentless in their campaigns to make it cost more, not only for me, but for cable subscribers in the U.S. 

The Disney myth of being a benevolent fantasyland for kids where everything is wonderful and happy is just that and I watched that veneer very quickly fade away. 

There was no profit that was ever enough for them and it seems they taught the Bell and Rogers of the world how it's done. I can easily afford Disney+, Crave and all the others. My choice not to do so isn't because I'm cheap but because I choose to support only the companies I respect. It isn't like they're supplying food and I need them to live. 

It's an ethical choice and I know most people don't take the same road I'm on, nor do I judge them for that. But until they change their policies - which is never going to happen - I'm very happy to live without them. 

April 21, 2022 9:04 am  #8

The days of free broadcast TV aren't coming to an end just yet, but you can certainly see it from here - and in these numbers. (The figures are from the U.S. but I suspect the trends in Canada are similar. It's interesting how cable has still managed to hang onto a large part of the audience, despite the growing popularity of streaming and cord cutting.)

Streaming Hits All-Time High in TV Usage as Broadcast Slips

April 21, 2022 10:22 am  #9

To each their own I guess but I can't get so worked up about Bell, Rogers or Disney that I refuse to watch or subscribe to their service.  I guess part of that reason would be the fact that any money I spent on them is only going to be used to buy something else, so I am not saving much if anything, 

I wouldn't want to be without TSN, Sportsnet, and the Canadian news channels. And to be honest  going the other route and able to watch all retro tv from Buffalo or a bunch of channels I will rarely look at holds no interest at all for me.  The novelty would wear off in about a month. Other than Dick Van Dyke, I don't even watch CHCH in the daytime with all of their retro programming.

As easy as it is to hate the big conglomerates and their perceived gouging, I always remember that they employ thousands and thousands of people, are the bedrock of the media industry in this country, and whether you want to admit it or not, actually do good in the communities they serve and give back. 

Even so called ethical companies normally have their skeletons and biases that you can find if you scratch the service.  Or they are not as noble or balanced in their approach as initially thought. Just because they charge less doesn't mean they are more principled.  They can charge less because they didn't build the system or employ thousands of people.

But like all things in life you need to look at the whole person or company, the good and bad to actually make a decision as to whether you want to be a customer or have any sort of relationship with them. And also make the decision that your refusal is worth not receiving local sports and news coverage that doesn't appear on OTA television.  Radio is fine in a pinch, but I much prefer watching the Jays on television.

April 21, 2022 12:56 pm  #10

I understand your position perfectly and for a change, have no criticism of it. This is a personal decision on my part.

But here's the funny thing - in Big Yellow Taxi, Joni Mitchell asked, "Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got till it's gone?" The opposite of that is also true - you can't miss "what you've got" if you never had it. I realize there are a lot of good shows on these streamers that I will never get to see. And yet somehow, it doesn't bother me for even one second. I can't miss what I never had. 

But I absolutely would never judge anyone else for what they do. If you're OK with paying these guys for their service, I hope you enjoy them and get your money's worth. I sleep better at night knowing I'm not supporting in any way a company whose ethics and values at the expense of their customers I find wanting. Not to mention the shoddy way they've treated some of my friends in the industry. 

Your mileage may vary and there's nothing wrong with that.