sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 22, 2020 9:10 am  #2

Re: Ben Mulroney steps down as etalk anchor

I suppose this was inevitable. But he's not leaving the network. Instead, he'll be staying with the early AM show and fronting special events like the Oscars. 

His words read like they've been vetted by a PR team:

"Last Saturday, I watched on CTV as my colleagues led a national conversation about how we can take action against systemic racism. That conversation showed me, more than ever, we need more Black voices, more Indigenous voices, and more People of Colour in the media… And that is why I have decided to immediately step away from my role as an anchor at ETALK to create a space for a new perspective and a new voice."

"
It is my hope that the new anchor is Black, Indigenous, or a Person of Colour who can use this important platform to inspire, lead, and make change." 

Hands up anyone who thinks this was really totally his decision.

You can watch the statement here.

June 22, 2020 10:01 am  #3

Radio Active writes..."Hands up anyone who thinks this was really totally his decision."  I have so much I could say; but please....really.  ""It is my hope that the new anchor is Black, Indigenous, or a Person of Colour who can use this important platform to inspire, lead, and make change" Says Ben.

Well then Ben lets do the same thing with the morning show and the Oscars; if you really mean it.

Last edited by AMFM (June 22, 2020 10:03 am)

June 22, 2020 10:56 am  #4

"It is my hope that the new anchor is Black, Indigenous, or a Person of Colour who can use this important platform to inspire, lead, and make change." 

seriously?  just how important is the "platform" of etalk ? Should we really be looking to an entertainment / navel gazing / gossip / fluff filler show to provide "inspiration" , "lead"(ership) , or "make change" ?

Really???

If Bell Media / CTV / and Ben think that installing a person who is Black, Indigenous, or of Colour will solve these serious problems, then I'm sorry.... they are just delusional...  and that in itself is part of the root of the problem to begin with.

June 22, 2020 1:29 pm  #5

Hard to see how he could have stayed at etalk after one of his co-workers there posted this: 

https://www.laineygossip.com/how-jessica-mulroney-used-white-privilege-and-white-fragility-against-sasha-exeter/66442

June 22, 2020 1:35 pm  #6

Hansa wrote:

Hard to see how he could have stayed at etalk after one of his co-workers there posted this: 

https://www.laineygossip.com/how-jessica-mulroney-used-white-privilege-and-white-fragility-against-sasha-exeter/66442

My thoughts too.  I read her post last week and there is nothing ambiguous about saying you are "scared of the Mulroneys".  Whether you agree with her or not,  there is no way an employer would keep the two together.

June 22, 2020 1:37 pm  #7

Yes, and he referred to his "privilege" if you watch the whole statement on video. But he IS the son of a former Prime Minister and I suspect his "privilege" comes from far more than the colour of his skin. While there are certainly a lot of wrongs to be righted, I think what's rubbing a lot of us the wrong way about this is how overly politically correct it seems. 

It feels more like something written by committee than anything Mulroney himself might have penned. Not saying he doesn't actually mean it, but you wind up wondering if it's as insincere as it ends up sounding. Still, it's the perfect storm for the guy, involving a currently sensitive issue, his colleagues and his own wife. He obviously had to say and do something. Oh, to be a fly on the wall in that home when this was breaking.

Rock, meet hard place. 

June 22, 2020 2:43 pm  #8

Maybe they should hire a Lesbian Folk Dancing, Black Woman Stutterer in a wheelchair, as was suggested back in 2000. 

Last edited by Peter the K (June 22, 2020 2:44 pm)

June 22, 2020 3:27 pm  #9

Because the real solution is complicated and multipronged. It's about genuinely creating opportunities and an infrastructure to support diversity. Two-way mentorships (where each part teaches and learns from the other, more like buddy system. Sincere efforts in university and college programs. Training for younger people to work their way up into management. Teaching out to various communities to promote careers, and backing that up with summer jobs and other opportunities. And consciously actually integrating people from diverse backgrounds. It's like weaving a piece of tapestry, not switching out a thread or two.

June 22, 2020 5:31 pm  #10

Meanwhile, CityLine's Tracy Moore will begin hosting a YouTube only series about race relations.

From the Canadian Press story:

"LIVE: #CitylineReal" premieres Tuesday afternoon and will see Moore speaking with guests every week about race and inequality in Canadian society. Topics that will be discussed over the next five weeks include performative allyship and microagression."

Citytv Reveals Limited Fall Line-up

June 22, 2020 8:16 pm  #11

Ben Mulroney definitely benefits from white privilege but he also benefits from not only class privilege but elite privilege (as does Justin Trudeau). Ben Mulroney's first media gig was as a columnist for the Toronto Sun - Brian Mulroney was (and is?) on the board of Quebecor which owned the Sun at the time. I don't know if Brian has any links with people on the board or in senior management at Baton or Bell (which took over CTV around the time Ben joined) but I'm sure the connection didn't hurt, just like Chelsea Clinton being the daughter of the Clintons gave her an entry into NBC. Would Ben Mulroney, who unlike most people who entered television in the 2000s, never went to either journalism school or to a post-secondary radio-tv program or had any background that I know of in student media, have gotten either a column in a major newspaper chain or a gig as an entertainment reporter if he hadn't been a Mulroney? Unlikely. 

June 22, 2020 9:15 pm  #12

Hansa wrote:

Ben Mulroney definitely benefits from white privilege but he also benefits from not only class privilege but elite privilege (as does Justin Trudeau). Ben Mulroney's first media gig was as a columnist for the Toronto Sun - Brian Mulroney was (and is?) on the board of Quebecor which owned the Sun at the time. I don't know if Brian has any links with people on the board or in senior management at Baton or Bell (which took over CTV around the time Ben joined) but I'm sure the connection didn't hurt, just like Chelsea Clinton being the daughter of the Clintons gave her an entry into NBC. Would Ben Mulroney, who unlike most people who entered television in the 2000s, never went to either journalism school or to a post-secondary radio-tv program or had any background that I know of in student media, have gotten either a column in a major newspaper chain or a gig as an entertainment reporter if he hadn't been a Mulroney? Unlikely. 

What you are saying is true.  However even today, and often in media, it is often who you know, who knows you, or can vouch for you that determines if you get the interview and ultimately the job. 

Ben landing the job years ago at CTV wasn't really a surprise.  And initially he wasn't on air very much and no doubt was being trained. The fact that he didn't go to broadcast school or take journalism isn't that big a deal since personally I think the quality of our broadcast schools and journalism is lacking, and too many in the field seem to have the same viewpoint and style.  He does have a law degree and a BA with a major in history, and this would have served him well in media.

Also within the industry, Ben has a good reputation and this is evident since he is able to interview some performers and artists that don't talk much to the media. They usually mention him by name on the red carpet and virtually nobody walks by without speaking to him. So you can argue he got the job because of his name (anyone can do that) but he survived 18 years because like him or not, he is good at his job.

Was this totally his decision?  Of course not, it never is. Naturally Bell/CTV have a lot of input in the statement and final outcome since it also concerns them and they are directly involved.  Should he have stepped down from the morning show, Oscar coverage, and CTV?  No, not unless he wanted to or the network thought it was necessary. I agree it wasn't necessary for him to leave everything, similar to his wife.

I watched the statement tonight on eTalk and I think it was about as good as could be expected. This whole situation was much more about his wife and Ben did what any good spouse would do, support and try and help her.   And it is hard to fault anyone for that.

June 23, 2020 1:50 pm  #13

Interesting to note what Jessica Mulroney currently has on her Linked-In page, There's no mention of anything about her having ever worked for CTV in any capacity, but she still claims affiliation with both CityLine and Good Morning America, as well as being associated with PR for Hudson's Bay Co. - even though all those jobs are now gone.

Perhaps it was never updated to include the Bell Media gigs, although I would wonder why that wouldn't have been listed since she was there before her now defunct GMA gig began. 

Jessica Mulroney's Linked-In page

June 24, 2020 12:50 pm  #14

Hansa wrote:

According to John Doyle,  the Quebecor connection did come into play later, over the Sun's (then) TV Critic's coverage of Ben.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/arts/television/article-ben-mulroney-knows-all-about-power-and-privilege-in-canada/

June 25, 2020 1:19 pm  #15

The shoe is now on the other foot, yet not everyone loses their job it appears. And the old tropes about "growing" and "learning" and "being evolved" are trotted out. I'm not defending Jessica Mulroney in any way, but really, this is the most insincere and incredible irony in the past few months. The hypocrisy of this is stunning.

Pot, meet kettle.

Lainey Lui apologizes for past racist and homophobic posts on her blog

June 25, 2020 1:52 pm  #16

what?  still no comment from Jess Allen.....  

June 25, 2020 5:40 pm  #17

More political correctness running wild. 

Just two weeks after the group Lady Antebellum announced they were changing their name to "Lady A," the Dixie Chicks have decided to alter their famous moniker and will now be known only as "The Chicks." (And no, I'm not making that up.) 

In other news, The Who are worried that they will be associated with an increasingly troubled World Health Organization, and will now be known only as "The." (And yes, I am making that one up!)

June 26, 2020 6:48 am  #18

RadioActive wrote:

Just two weeks after the group Lady Antebellum announced they were changing their name to "Lady A," the Dixie Chicks have decided to alter their famous moniker and will now be known only as "The Chicks." (And no, I'm not making that up.) 

I guess the next move will be to change the name of Dixie Road in Mississauga despite the fact that it was named after a Welsh doctor who settled in the area and has nothing to do with the Confederacy.

June 26, 2020 8:07 am  #19

So the Dixie Chicks are now going to be called simply "The Chicks".  Well watch out "chicks" the Me Too movement will now be after you for addressing women as chicks.  And with what's going on today,  Lainey Lui should be let go if not just for her attitude  on the video.  Her demeanour in the video appears arrogant to me and very stiff on what she has done in the past.  She does not appear to be remoresful  in any way.

Last edited by AMFM (June 26, 2020 8:12 am)

June 26, 2020 5:47 pm  #20

Charlie wrote:

Tq345 wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

I guess the next move will be to change the name of Dixie Road in Mississauga despite the fact that it was named after a Welsh doctor who settled in the area and has nothing to do with the Confederacy.

Is there a statue of him in the area?  Tear it down for good measure.

I'm not sure about a statue, but he did found the church and cemetery at the corner of Dundas and Cawthra. Ripping up the graveyard is always an option. 😁

June 26, 2020 6:41 pm  #21

Even animated characters are not immune.

First,  Cleveland:  https://tvline.com/2020/06/26/family-guy-cleveland-voice-mike-henry-black-actor/

Second,  The Simpsons:  https://tvline.com/2020/06/26/the-simpsons-recast-non-white-characters-actors-voice/

Last edited by Media Observer (June 26, 2020 7:20 pm)

June 27, 2020 8:58 pm  #22

And now authors who write outside of their own culture are cancelling themselves:

https://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/by-topic/childrens/childrens-book-news/article/83691-upcoming-ya-novel-ember-days-canceled-by-author.html?fbclid=IwAR0sN7NC4PJtr0DyEtBNcjbVDTUGeHHL6Sp2F4a3zM0MXnTnmQpQRfkTRM0

Upcoming YA Novel 'Ember Days' Canceled by Author

I have to wonder how much time she already put into researching and writing out this novel before chucking the entire thing.

June 27, 2020 10:25 pm  #23

Media Observer wrote:

Even animated characters are not immune.

First,  Cleveland:  https://tvline.com/2020/06/26/family-guy-cleveland-voice-mike-henry-black-actor/

Second,  The Simpsons:  https://tvline.com/2020/06/26/the-simpsons-recast-non-white-characters-actors-voice/

So I guess the question now is how far do you take this? 

Joe Swanson, the character in the wheelchair on Family Guy, is played by Patrick Warburton, of Seinfeld fame. Does this mean he has to stop voicing that character because he's not disabled? 

Two men, Dan Mintz and John Roberts, play female characters on Bob's Burgers. Should they be replaced by real women? And if so, does Nancy Cartwright continue to play Bart Simpson, a male?

And what about BoJack Horseman? Should he be played by a real horse? 

I have no objection to being sensitive to these issues and there are real problems to be solved. But this is where this kind of overly political correctness can lead.