sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 30, 2020 9:19 pm  #31

Re: Rush Limbaugh To Listeners: Cancer Means I May Not Be Here Much Longer

paterson1 wrote:

"More than anyone else, he kept AM radio alive past when many thought it would have pegged out."  That's true in the US but not here.

Currently no stations in Canada carry Rush Limbaugh's radio program and I don't believe any or very few actually ever have.  So his influence on Canadian radio, AM or otherwise is zero.

Incorrect.

He saved the format, and the format crosses the border.

May 30, 2020 10:10 pm  #32

splunge wrote:

can we PLEASE move on from political discussions and who should get banned for what? this isn't the first thread to be noticed, and absolutely not why i come here. 

👍👍👍

May 30, 2020 10:57 pm  #33

6079 Smith W wrote:

paterson1 wrote:

"More than anyone else, he kept AM radio alive past when many thought it would have pegged out."  That's true in the US but not here.

Currently no stations in Canada carry Rush Limbaugh's radio program and I don't believe any or very few actually ever have.  So his influence on Canadian radio, AM or otherwise is zero.

Incorrect.

He saved the format, and the format crosses the border.

Sorry, he may have saved talk on AM radio in the US but he has had no impact or anything to do with talk radio here.

AM stations years ago moving from music to news/talk/sports formats had nothing to do with Mr. Limbaugh and his show.  It had everything to do with music sounding better on FM, and listener migration away from AM.  News/talk/sports were the logical formats to fill the gap when music moved to FM.

Rush has no measurable audience in Canada and no stations in the country carry his show.  So how could he have saved the format here with virtually no listeners?  He doesn't have much of a profile in Canada other than what people might see on a TV news report when he has said something provocative.

There are no equivalent Rush Limbaugh's on Canadian radio, and nobody has really copied his type of talk format.  The only way to hear his program would be on line, an app or picking up a border station that carries the show.

Radio talk shows have been part of Canadian broadcasting and popular since the 60's and of course CBC radio 1 is primarily talk and been around long before Rush Limbaugh came onto the scene. 

So, I fail to see how he saved AM talk radio in Canada.

May 30, 2020 11:35 pm  #34

i agree with paterson1.  limbaugh may be talented in what he does in the US, but that has little to do with AM radio in Canada.  unless 6079 is suggesting that rush's "style" influences our own talk show hosts, i fail to comprehend the statement that he "saved AM radio" in this country..

BTW, thanks paterson1 and 6079 for returning the thread to debating broadcasting topics... where it should be.

May 31, 2020 3:32 am  #35

One could better argue that Mr. Limbaugh managed to get people to listen to AM radio without any FCC regulation requiring them to do so while CRTC held onto a 49% non hit rule for FM here for quite some time,
making music a better option than talk for various AM radio stations until that non hit rule was finally thrown out.

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

May 31, 2020 9:02 am  #36

splunge wrote:

limbaugh may be talented in what he does in the US, but that has little to do with AM radio in Canada.

One could argue that Bill Carroll and Jerry Agar's styles closely mirror Rush's. Their machine gun style of emphatic, loudly and forcefully delivering their one-sided points.

May 31, 2020 9:47 am  #37

Radiowiz wrote:

One could better argue that Mr. Limbaugh managed to get people to listen to AM radio without any FCC regulation requiring them to do so while CRTC held onto a 49% non hit rule for FM here for quite some time,
making music a better option than talk for various AM radio stations until that non hit rule was finally thrown out.

I don't really know how much the 49% hit/non hit rule actually affected talk radio in Canada since it was about music.  The CRTC dropped that ruling for FM around 1997 except for Ottawa/Gatineau and Montreal.

CHUM-FM from the winter 1985 ratings was the #2 station in Toronto with 965,200 listeners, right behind CFRB's 1,023,400.  RB even in the mid 80's was playing less music and slowly starting to introduce more talk and features to the format. 

So FM radio in the mid 80's-early 90's, with half of their music as non hits would overtake AM music stations in the ratings.   Q107, CHFI,  CKFM and CFNY all eventually passed AM stations in popularity during this time.  CFTR was one of the last holdouts dropping top 40 music and opting for the current all news format in June 1 1993.

Getting back to talk radio and Rush Limbaugh, talk AM radio has evolved differently in Canada. Overall this format has had a slower rise here and I think that could be traced back to CBC Radio 1 and the failure of the CKO all news network. 

CKO attempted a news/talk network format 1977-1989 and was not successful possibly because it was ahead of it's time, and CBC radio could have been a factor with a news/information format that was already well established.

The expensive failure of CKO and the relative popularity of CBC Radio 1 may have slowed the progress of AM talk radio in Canada.  This is speculation on my part, but initially could have been a factor for the slower growth of talk/news as compared to US radio.

Last edited by paterson1 (May 31, 2020 1:21 pm)

May 31, 2020 9:50 am  #38

Tickle Trunk wrote:

splunge wrote:

limbaugh may be talented in what he does in the US, but that has little to do with AM radio in Canada.

One could argue that Bill Carroll and Jerry Agar's styles closely mirror Rush's. Their machine gun style of emphatic, loudly and forcefully delivering their one-sided points.

Certainly Reagan's dismantling of the FCC's Fairness Doctrine set the stage in the US for Rush et al. And the ideologically-driven talk radio that emerged in the US has crept north of the border, with the tone generally at least somewhat more polite and subtle, and perhaps more topic driven rather than seemingly endless, vague ranting. There's also a considerable right-wing tilt in the US; in Canada there is a slight bit more balance (CFRB roundtables, for instance). I keep an ear on what UAS and Canadian show hosts do out of general interest and curiosity (often listening when I'm DXing), but generally have little use for ideological rants even when it reflects how I see things - I'd rather learn new details or other concrete information, or hear things in as full a context as possible.

May 31, 2020 12:58 pm  #39

Tickle Trunk wrote:

splunge wrote:

Not really sure if you could say that Bill and Jerry's style closely mirror Rush Limbaugh.  Carroll isn't always conservative in his opinions, and he is not nearly as one sided or condescending as Rush. Jerry Agar would be a bit closer to Limbaugh's style however he does have a lot of guests on his show that aren't involved in politics.

In fact both Bill Carroll and Jerry Agar aren't all politics all the time. True they are both opinionated but there have always been talk show and news hosts with strong opinions in Canada. Personalities like Jack Webster, Michael Coren, Roy Green, Gordon Sinclair, Dean Blundell, Mark Elliot, Scott Thompson, Larry Solway, Lowell Green, and Charles Adler.  All of these hosts were opinionated, but I wouldn't say any were much like Rush Limbaugh in presentation or general outlook. 

May 31, 2020 1:19 pm  #40

^^ I was commenting on his broadcast STYLE and not his political leanings (this is a radio board and not a political one) nor his show content.

May 31, 2020 1:38 pm  #41

I was talking about style too. Carroll and Agar's style does not "closely mirror" Limbaugh's. If you re read my post, I say why their shows are not similar.  And all of the other personalities I listed past and present that are/were opinionated don't have his style either.  So that is why I say Limbaugh's influence on AM talk here is more or less zero.

May 31, 2020 1:41 pm  #42

paterson1 wrote:

I don't really know how much the 49% hit/non hit rule actually affected talk radio in Canada since it was about music.  . CFTR was one of the last holdouts dropping top 40 music and opting for the current all news format in June 1 1993.

If the CRTC didn't have that 49% non hit rule in place, 680 may have gone all news a lot sooner and FM in Toronto would have also had a proper hit music station a lot sooner.
AM 640 most likely would have gone straight from Country right into talk radio and skipped the whole Rock 40 & Top 40 thing they did for a little while before eventually going all talk.

May 31, 2020 2:03 pm  #43

640 was going to go all-news: TR beat that sound of Toronto by a tad.

May 31, 2020 2:14 pm  #44

paterson1 wrote:

Getting back to talk radio and Rush Limbaugh, talk AM radio has evolved differently in Canada. Overall this format has had a slower rise here and I think that could be traced back to CBC Radio 1 and the failure of the CKO all news network. 

CKO attempted a news/talk network format 1977-1989 and was not successful possibly because it was ahead of it's time, and CBC radio could have been a factor with a news/information format that was already well established.

The expensive failure of CKO and the relative popularity of CBC Radio 1 may have slowed the progress of AM talk radio in Canada.  This is speculation on my part, but initially could have been a factor for the slower growth of talk/news as compared to US radio.

And don't forget the attempt by Telemedia to launch an all talk format long before CFRB took the plunge. CJCL, now the Fan 590, was still at 1430 in the early 80s, when they tried to become a 24-hour all yak-yak-yak station. The talent on display was amazing - John Donabie, Tom Fulton, John Oakley, Andy Barrie and on and on it went. 

Unfortunately, it was way before its time, the signal was terrible and outside of the Blue Jays and the Leafs, no one listened. As radio veteran Leslie Sole noted in an article in Broadcast Dialogue in 2004, putting together that line-up today would be prohibitively expensive. 

The Greatest Station You Never Heard

May 31, 2020 5:04 pm  #45

Tickle Trunk wrote:

640 was going to go all-news: TR beat that sound of Toronto by a tad.

Yup! 
Ads started airing while they were still "the NEW beat of Toronto" claiming to soon be "the NEWS beat of Toronto"

May 31, 2020 5:11 pm  #46

Radiowiz wrote:

paterson1 wrote:

I don't really know how much the 49% hit/non hit rule actually affected talk radio in Canada since it was about music.  . CFTR was one of the last holdouts dropping top 40 music and opting for the current all news format in June 1 1993.

If the CRTC didn't have that 49% non hit rule in place, 680 may have gone all news a lot sooner and FM in Toronto would have also had a proper hit music station a lot sooner.
AM 640 most likely would have gone straight from Country right into talk radio and skipped the whole Rock 40 & Top 40 thing they did for a little while before eventually going all talk.

All of the things you mentioned are absolutely possible, but we will never know.  My point was that FM was already doing well ratings wise years before to the 49% hit/non hit ruling change in 1997.   AM was losing the music battle to FM in the late 80's and early 90's.  Other than oldies or gold, music had become not the best option for AM. 

CFTR was still doing all right revenue wise but the writing was on the wall and they were smart to make the change when they did.  Could they have gone sooner, maybe, but in hindsight their timing was pretty good, and they have never looked back. 

Like RA mentioned CJCL was too early with the all talk format and it didn't work out so well for them back in 1983.  CKO was still around at that time, CBC radio was doing their thing, and even though CFRB was still playing MOR/AC music they had a lot of talk, chatty hosts and heavy into news, sports, and information. 

June 1, 2020 10:51 am  #47

Peter the K wrote:

potentiometer wrote:

mace wrote:

Lots of high fives by the oh so tolerant American Left have most likely begun now.

Uncalled for. 

I disagree.  The left, as a whole, do, in favour ad-hominem attacks.  Those against the provincial government tend to attack Doug Ford and before him Mike Harris rather than the Conservatives.  It was exactly the same when the Conservatives were in power federally where "The Evil Harper" got the brunt of the attacks.

Did the Right attack the last Liberal Premiere directly?

Um, yeah. Have you actually forgotten all the personal attacks on Kathleen Wynne not only on Twitter and various right wing blogs but in the Toronto Sun? Particularly over the sexed curriculum when the attacks became particularly lurid?

And you don't think Justin Trudeau has been personally targetted for abuse? (Search for "Turdo" on Twitter, for example). 

Come on, get real. Yeah, both the left and the right attack the others' leaders personally. Don't put on the mantle of self-righteousness and pretend the right doesn't engage in ad hominems whether in Canada against Trudeau, Wynne, Rachel Notley etc or in the US against Obama (remember the birthers? - let by the troll-in-chief, Donald Trump), or the Clintons etc? 

June 1, 2020 11:14 am  #48

Hansa wrote:

Yeah, both the left and the right attack the others' leaders personally. Don't put on the mantle of self-righteousness and pretend the right doesn't engage in ad hominems whether in Canada

Anyway............. Does ANY of that belong on THIS board? ⛔🤫😡

June 1, 2020 11:35 am  #49

His infamous quote about lung cancer:
"That is a myth. That has been disproven at the World Health Organization and the report was suppressed. There is no fatality whatsoever. There's no even major sickness component associated with secondhand smoke. It may irritate you, and you may not like it, but it will not make you sick, and it will not kill you...Firsthand smoke takes 50 years to kill people, if it does. Not everybody that smokes gets cancer. Now, it's true that everybody who smokes dies, but so does everyone who eats carrots ... I would like a medal for smoking cigars, is what I'm saying."

June 1, 2020 11:58 am  #50

Prod Guy wrote:

His infamous quote about lung cancer:
"That is a myth. That has been disproven at the World Health Organization and the report was suppressed. There is no fatality whatsoever. There's no even major sickness component associated with secondhand smoke. It may irritate you, and you may not like it, but it will not make you sick, and it will not kill you...Firsthand smoke takes 50 years to kill people, if it does. Not everybody that smokes gets cancer. Now, it's true that everybody who smokes dies, but so does everyone who eats carrots ... I would like a medal for smoking cigars, is what I'm saying."

Talk about being hoisted on his own petard (in other words, karma's a bitch). 

June 1, 2020 7:12 pm  #51

He did say firsthand smoke does take fifty years to kill. Assuming he started cigarettes in his teens, that would qualify.

I don’t agree with everything Limbaugh says, but he is entertaining.

June 3, 2020 12:05 am  #52

A somewhat unique interview with Limbaugh ... 

https://1053thebeat.iheart.com/featured/breakfast-club/content/2020-06-01-the-breakfast-club-sits-down-with-rush-limbaugh

Not that he says anything hugely unexpected - and this post isn't meant to generate political discussion - but the whole thing, overall, is, well, interesting...

... The station is in Bowdon Georgia, near Atlanta.  The only reason I found the above video is because I heard a reference to "ATL's home for the Breakfast Club, the new 105-3 the Beat" while DXing this past Saturday up in the Kawarthas. It was until very recently a country station. Now it's hip-hop. Stations in the US change formats and such as often as some people change socks. Anyhow, I heard a ton of FM stations from the Carolinas through to Florida...

Last edited by Saul (June 3, 2020 12:15 am)