sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 22, 2020 12:33 pm  #1

CTV News Offers Rare On-Air Apology For “Kissing Stranger” Story

It’s not often you see an on-air apology as the second story in a newscast but CTV News was forced to make one on its noon show Friday, after something that aired on its late night edition the previous evening.

I didn’t see the yarn in question, but I can only imagine the reaction the station received based on the description of it in the mea culpa. It sounds a lot like something an HR Department might have come up with.

After the initial lede about that tragic dog attack in Aurora, Nathan Downer came back on camera and said this:

“A follow-up on a story that aired last night on CTV News at 11:30.

In a story on social distancing, we included an interview with a woman in a park. During the interview, a stranger came up to the woman, and kissed her directly on the lips. Our story then focused on the danger of kissing a stranger on the lips during a pandemic.

It was wrong to air this video.

The video demonstrated non-consensual behaviour and downplayed the fact that what occurred was simply unacceptable and offensive. It does not meet CTV News’ editorial standards and we apologize.”

May 22, 2020 2:12 pm  #2

Re: CTV News Offers Rare On-Air Apology For “Kissing Stranger” Story

This is pretty big news when the competition also covers this story: 
https://toronto.citynews.ca/2020/05/22/ctv-news-apologizes-for-airing-video-of-non-consensual-behaviour/

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

May 22, 2020 3:33 pm  #3

That was a Canadian Press story, but you're right - it's an interesting choice that the competition decided to run it. What's equally interesting to me is that I've been unable to find any record of the apology on the CTV Toronto news website. You'd figure if they'd received complaints, they might have posted the "we're sorry" there.  

And while they've taken down the story, as everyone is aware, nothing ever completely disappears from the Internet. I'm sure there was some huge backlash to it to prompt the apology, but in the clip, the woman doesn't seem too upset by the attention, and even asks the guy who she just met while walking her dog to "text me."

You can see it here.

May 22, 2020 3:58 pm  #4

I don't see what the issue is. The kiss was obviously welcomed and there was earlier interaction. It's not like someone marched into a nursing home and started kissing residents.

May 22, 2020 4:43 pm  #5

Saul wrote:

I don't see what the issue is. The kiss was obviously welcomed and there was earlier interaction. It's not like someone marched into a nursing home and started kissing residents.

When you get sick from CORONA VIRUS, you will have a fever, a high fever, the highest fever that you have ever had in your life. It is not going to be like the typical flu n fevers. You're going to breathe slowly like you've had a sponge stuck in your nose. When you'll try to fill the air in your lungs by inhaling heavily you will feel like you are still short of breath. And that will scare you. You are going to cough a lot, so much so that you're going to tire until you almost pass out. Every time you do it, your chest, arms, back, fingers, toes will hurt. You will try to catch air through the nose and you will not be able to. So, they are going to give you oxygen and it is going to burn the entrance to your nose, which is going to hurt even more. And if you can't breathe, another doctor will come and put a couple of half-inch tubes down your throat to get past the bronchi and into the lungs. That is called an artificial respirator. It is really disturbing n annoying, and on top of that, you cannot speak or eat.
You will be alone in a closed room. You will not be able to see your partner, your mother, or your father, or your children that you love so much, or your brothers; because you are going to infect them with the same thing that is killing you.
You will feel so alone that you will start to cry and you will be afraid of dying. You will think of the ones you love and you will cry, even more, that will worsen everything hence the shortness of breath.*THIS IS WHEN YOU WILL UNDERSTAND WHY THEY TOLD YOU: "STAY AT HOME"SO PLEASE STAY HOME FOR YOURSELF AND YOUR LOVED ONES  

May 22, 2020 5:39 pm  #6

Radiowiz wrote:

Saul wrote:

When you get sick from CORONA VIRUS, you will have a fever, a high fever, the highest fever that you have ever had in your life. It is not going to be like the typical flu n fevers. You're going to breathe slowly like you've had a sponge stuck in your nose. When you'll try to fill the air in your lungs by inhaling heavily you will feel like you are still short of breath. And that will scare you. You are going to cough a lot, so much so that you're going to tire until you almost pass out. Every time you do it, your chest, arms, back, fingers, toes will hurt. You will try to catch air through the nose and you will not be able to. So, they are going to give you oxygen and it is going to burn the entrance to your nose, which is going to hurt even more. And if you can't breathe, another doctor will come and put a couple of half-inch tubes down your throat to get past the bronchi and into the lungs. That is called an artificial respirator. It is really disturbing n annoying, and on top of that, you cannot speak or eat.
You will be alone in a closed room. You will not be able to see your partner, your mother, or your father, or your children that you love so much, or your brothers; because you are going to infect them with the same thing that is killing you.
You will feel so alone that you will start to cry and you will be afraid of dying. You will think of the ones you love and you will cry, even more, that will worsen everything hence the shortness of breath.*THIS IS WHEN YOU WILL UNDERSTAND WHY THEY TOLD YOU: "STAY AT HOME"SO PLEASE STAY HOME FOR YOURSELF AND YOUR LOVED ONES  

It was what appears to be a consensual kiss. Suppose they're single - are they going to remain celibate and dateless until a vaccine is successful - if an effective vaccine even happens (the science is not 100% on that)? My take on this is it was a pick-up, and it seems to have been appreciated. End of story. If it was not consensual, it'd be an entirely different matter in so many ways. But this does not appear to be the case. 

May 22, 2020 7:53 pm  #7

Saul wrote:

It was what appears to be a consensual kiss. Suppose they're single - are they going to remain celibate and dateless until a vaccine is successful - if an effective vaccine even happens (the science is not 100% on that)? My take on this is it was a pick-up, and it seems to have been appreciated. End of story. If it was not consensual, it'd be an entirely different matter in so many ways. But this does not appear to be the case. 

I need a haircut and you need a brain.

May 22, 2020 8:06 pm  #8

As someone who served as a news producer in my time, I think the issue isn't the guy with the kiss - although that was bad enough. In addition to living in more sensitive times, we're also living in some dangerous ones, with the coronavirus. I'm not sure, but I think the real concern at CTV besides promoting the guy acting like a macho jerk, is the idea that it may inspire someone else to do the same thing. 

Remember the "F-her Right In The P" idiocy that plagued many live shots for months before people started getting charged and/or losing their jobs over it? Same kind of logic. You can't be seen condoning that kind of behaviour on TV, especially during a pandemic. It may be something others will emulate. We live in a social media world where far too many are trying to outdo the last guy's stupid stunt and do something even more outrageous.

That, plus the inevitable outcry on the web, is likely why CTV felt it had to apologize, despite the victim's rather tepid reaction to what could be termed an alleged sexual assault. It wasn't only what happened to her and the fact they showed it. It's the idea it might happen to someone else, who might not be as willing or as healthy.

They were right about one thing, though. It should never have aired in the first place.

May 22, 2020 11:30 pm  #9

Radiowiz wrote:

Saul wrote:

I need a haircut and you need a brain.

From the City story: In a voiceover, the reporter says the woman was OK with the “spontaneous kiss” from a man she said she had met minutes earlier with her dog. The woman tells the man to “text me” as she walks away.

No question it's a weird story, but this has every indication of consensual. I don't know if you've had a bad experience with Covid, but you sound really frightened. I've been there - I felt seriously freaked out after my heart attack a few years ago - it was a crushing experience physically and mentally. But thankfully I realized I had only one option - to get back on track and live my life as meaningfully as possible. (And, in case you might presume otherwise, I'm following protocols to minimize risks to myself and people who might be even more vulnerable). If this incident is truly is as it seems to me, then it suggests a ray of hope. If the woman wants the man to text her so she can have him charged with assault, I'll stand corrected.

May 23, 2020 12:34 am  #10

Saul wrote:

If the woman wants the man to text her so she can have him charged with assault, I'll stand corrected.

Charge or no charge is a very moot point when you can't even get a haircut in this town. 
Me thinks you missed all the most important points,

May 23, 2020 8:11 am  #11

Radiowiz wrote:

Saul wrote:

If the woman wants the man to text her so she can have him charged with assault, I'll stand corrected.

Charge or no charge is a very moot point when you can't even get a haircut in this town. 
Me thinks you missed all the most important points,

What was described by a media outlet as non-consensual in fact would appear to have been consensual. Hopefully, two people who were self-isolating alone can now do this together. I get your fear of Covid, if the risk of being on a ventilator and all the attendant suffering that you expounded on at incredible length is what you mean by "important points". (There are other important points I didn't address, like how it was for the most part a non-story, and that running it demanded more explanation and context). I don't live with your dread - I listen to expert advice and use common sense and realize a healthy and positive attitude will get me through all of this.  

May 23, 2020 8:26 am  #12

Ah, but what's "expert advice"? If you listen to local radio, every guest GNR has is an "expert". We get information overload ~~ yet we can't tune away. Common sense is the last thing we should have faith that the other guy has. If they strictly relied on that, the average Joe wouldn't distance and wear protection.

I know someone that is absolutely terrified that we are barely at the half way mark of this pandemic. Stay instead your homes, down in the basement, next to that 8 ton oil/water/radiator furnace and make sure there's aluminum foil on the windows.

May 23, 2020 9:25 am  #13

Tickle Trunk wrote:

Ah, but what's "expert advice"? If you listen to local radio, every guest GNR has is an "expert". We get information overload ~~ yet we can't tune away. Common sense is the last thing we should have faith that the other guy has. If they strictly relied on that, the average Joe wouldn't distance and wear protection.
I know someone that is absolutely terrified that we are barely at the half way mark of this pandemic. Stay instead your homes, down in the basement, next to that 8 ton oil/water/radiator furnace and make sure there's aluminum foil on the windows.

I completely agree with your sense of 'expert'. And maybe 'common sense' isn't the right word for what I mean. Perhaps 'rational thought'.

We are nowhere near the halfway mark, and that's precisely why we need to dial down the terror level. The idea behind the measures has been to keep things flatlined, not to eliminate Covid. Doesn't mean we can't all do what we can, individually and collectively, to avoid Covid as much as possible. I'm not frightened, but I'm also hoping not to get this thing. But shutting things down for 1-2 years on the presumption a vaccine will even work will in itself have a myriad of unintended and undesired consequences. It's about finding that balance, keeping people on board, remaining cognizant of ripple effects on other areas of health and life - being smart about it rather than panicky. The media sometimes do a very good job, other times they utterly fail, most often it's somewhere in between. I'd like to see an intelligent discussion about opening up rather than polemics (the terrorized versus the gun-toting Michigan libertarians)...

May 23, 2020 9:50 am  #14

I must admit: I rather like these Covid-19 times. I order what I want online and either it's delivered FREE or I swing by the store, park in a special spot and staff put my order in my trunk FREE. (Well not free. I used to work retail, so I know how soul-stealing that job actually is) I tip the associate $50 always. Plus you'd be surprised how fast the service is!!

Plus, I like Zoom- style virtual meetings. Why put pants on when I can have an appointment with my doctor and variety of councillors, psychiatrist, and others. My cable company has a free preview on with over 100+ channels!

Heck, I even can order weed online and they send it!

I don't want this fun to ever end.

May 24, 2020 6:18 am  #15

I look at this pandemic thingy this way. I have BEER and food in my fridge. My 65" tv works. So does my laptop and phone. My newspaper gets delivered to the lobby of my building. I have a job in a grocery store [not one of the major chains] so I shop on my scheduled work days. No lineup issues. Life is good. Could it be better? Absolutely. Like the rest of society, I need a haircut and I am waaaaay overdue for a dental cleaning. And I miss going to my local pub to watch sports with my friends and co-workers. Yes I know. "First World" problems. I DO know there are many who are less fortunate than myself. I am extremely thankful that financially, I do not have to worry about where my next meal will come from or paying my rent and other monthly expenses. So if my life has been reduced to work...go home... repeat, that is a very small price to pay for my part in attempting to "flatten the curve"

May 25, 2020 2:42 pm  #16

Leave it to the Internet to suggest how some would have liked to see the kissing story end. 

May 25, 2020 2:53 pm  #17

Toronto's #1 Newscast...

May 25, 2020 3:23 pm  #18

What I don't understand is if the lady said no crime was committed, why is the newsreader apologizing? Are they creating their own news, hoping that this is spread like live ants on an apple slice, dipped in caramel? 🐜🐜🐜