sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 7, 2020 8:13 pm  #1

May 7, 2020 9:52 pm  #2

Re: CFL season most likely to be cancelled

Well the CFL commish asking for $150 million is a bit rich.  The government can't and shouldn't bail out everything.  In markets like Vancouver, Toronto and Montreal the CFL wouldn't have any problem with social distancing since the stadiums are less than half full anyway. In markets like Hamilton, Ottawa, Winnipeg and Saskatchewan where they do draw good crowds they will need to limit attendance.

Every sport is going to have the same problem, so sorry CFL cancel the season if you must.  I was surprised that Ambrosie said that most of their revenue doesn't come from broadcast rights but ticket sales. 

I still think that the deal with TSN for $55 million per year has hurt the CFL in the long run. The schedule should be split between TSN and CBC. The CFL has no over the air games, and all the hundreds of thousands that have cut cable and those that don't subscribe to TSN, never see the Grey Cup or any games.  Out of sight out of mind.

May 7, 2020 11:57 pm  #3

That deal has been credited with saving the league by several GM's through the years.

May 8, 2020 12:03 am  #4

I would have thought that the CFL would be the one league that could survive without fans. 

May 8, 2020 9:08 am  #5

Charlie wrote:

cash wrote:

I would have thought that the CFL would be the one league that could survive without fans. 

They do.

But if that was true, they would be playing this season with no fans in stadiums, and they would still get the broadcast revenue from Bell to carry them through.  According to the commissioner, most of their revenue is from ticket sales, and last year they sold over 3 million tickets.  Ambrosie mentioned unlike other professional leagues most of their revenue does not come from broadcast rights. So obviously they can't survive without fan support.

I don't support the government (taxpayers) helping them out this season. If they can't figure out social distancing at games for this year, then I guess they will need to cancel the season with no fan or broadcast revenue.

Maybe the TSN deal helped the league monetarily 12 years ago, but with games only available on a cable network through until 2026 is hurting them overall in my opinion.  There are a lot of people that don't have cable or don't purchase TSN.  With no over the air broadcasts for many years has likely impacted attendance at games. The league doesn't have the profile any longer and at least part of this can be traced back to no over the air broadcasts.  It would help the CFL if the CBC had a game of the week or split the schedule with TSN.

Look at major league baseball when the broadcast rights went to cable years ago, and no network regular season broadcasts .  Ticket sales have slid from 79,400,000 in 2007 to 68,400,000 in 2019. Now there are other reasons for the slide as well, but like the CFL, major league baseball is losing it's profile against the NFL and NBA, even the NHL to a certain extent.

May 8, 2020 11:33 am  #6

This may be the end of the CFL.  Most people under 40 don't know or care about the league.  It is an attendance-driven league. 
And by selling the TV rights exclusively to cable, it forbids anyone who does not have TSN,, of not seeing the product.
The league took the money and ran.  Now they are fumbling.

May 8, 2020 1:11 pm  #7

I'll take "What is the CFL, for $100, Alex". 🤔

May 8, 2020 2:56 pm  #8

Wow if no fans turned up, one would think it's an Argo's game!!!

Oskee Wee Wee!

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

May 9, 2020 4:54 pm  #9

I think it's quite likely the CFL will fold. 

May 9, 2020 5:59 pm  #10

Tickle Trunk wrote:

Compact fluorescent lightbulb?

May 9, 2020 6:21 pm  #11

Saul wrote:

Tickle Trunk wrote:

Compact fluorescent lightbulb?

I for one will save my CFL.  (Comment For Later) 

May 9, 2020 8:12 pm  #12

I love the CFL, as a kid growing up in Ottawa, I would sleep, eat and breathe football and the then Ottawa Rough Riders, heck Russ Jackson was the vice principal at the High School my sister went to. (Sir John A. MacDonald).

When I was 10 I lost my dad and that very sister a few years later was dating a guy who was friends with TE Rhome Nixon, I got to meet him and some of the other Rough Riders at the time in of all places attending practice. 

This was 2-3 years after losing my dad and man, Rhome Nixon a U.S. born player took me under his wing and I got to attend practices, have fried chicken in the dressing room after and hang out. I got to meet Art Green, Rudy Sims, Art Cantrelle, Hugh Oldham and one day after a game, I got to go back to Rhome Nixon's apartment for a post game party, I got a ride home by CFL Hall of Famer, Condredge Holloway, turns out I lived a 15 minute bike ride away from Mr. Nixon #74 with the Ottawa Rough Riders, he even caught a TD pass in the 73 Grey Cup win.

We stayed in touch until 1975 when he got traded to the BC Lions...but he was a mentor and a true class act. I was the luckiest kid to hang out at practices and even watch a game from the sidelines.

A high school buddy of mine was the "Water Boy" for the team when they won the 76 Grey Cup on the Tony Gabriel catch from Tom Clements.

Plus 4 years ago I got to see the RedBlacks win the Grey Cup here in Toronto...it was like Christmas Day! 

For these reasons alone, I have loved the CFL, I played football too in High School and later in my 40's and early 50's I would visit Ottawa to see family (I am a Toronto guy now)...and would work out at GoodLife Fitness on Pinecrest by the Queensway and who did I meet each time? But the former coach, George Brancato, we'd talk regularly about those times and I went to High School in Ottawa with his kids...

So, joke as you may, but in my family the CFL is about family, fun, healing and Golden Palace Egg Rolls after a game!

(Drops the mic)

https://scottgrant.photoshelter.com/image/I0000O2QxgyI9wbc

Last edited by Muffaraw Joe (May 9, 2020 8:27 pm)

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

May 9, 2020 10:11 pm  #13

Well said Muffaraw Joe and a great story. 

I certainly hope that the CFL does have a season one way or another this year, and the league is able to weather this storm.

Like many things in our country, the CFL is loved, disliked, ignored, mocked and misunderstood by many.

Critics have been predicting the death of the league for decades (sort of like radio) but it keeps surviving and even thriving at times (just like radio).

I am still not clear why they couldn't have a 2020 season, either with limited crowds or no fans at the stadium.  But other leagues and sports will have similar problems if conditions don't improve later in the year.