sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum


You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 28, 2020 12:03 pm  #1


Are You Sick Of All The Live COVID-19 Press Conferences On TV & Radio?

They seem to be on every station all the time on both radio and TV - those endless press conferences from the federal, provincial and city governments.
 
At the beginning of this crisis, they provided a look at what was going on as the disaster seemed to unfold with breakneck speed. But now I’m wondering if anyone else is having presser fatigue from these daily drone-ons.
 
Every station seems to cover Justin Trudeau’s latest money drop, followed by a question and non-answer session at 11:15 AM. (Not to mention the minutes lost to having the same responses in French translated into a slugglishly delivered English.)  The noon newscasts regularly break away to hear the latest from the federal government experts, who often have somewhat tedious and sometimes completely unintelligible slides that are hard enough to see on TV and impossible to follow on radio.  
 
Both CBC and CTV’s noon news shows went live with the presser on Tuesday, with Channel 9 wisely dumping out of it after seven minutes or so, as the doctors presented their case in the most boring manner possible.
 
I don’t blame them, of course. The fed’s Dr. Theresa Tam and Toronto’s Dr. Eileen de Villa are doing their best, but they’re not broadcasters. And boy does it show on a daily basis. (I find the latter’s overly earnest and very slow manner of speaking, meant to be reassuring, extremely hard to listen to.)
 
Then Doug Ford gets his coverage at around 1:15 in the afternoon. (Someone will have to explain why Evan Solomon’s national radio show takes the full thing everyday. If I’m in Vancouver, why would I care what Ford has to say? Would you listen in Toronto for 30 minutes if B.C. Premier John Horgan was speaking?)  The city of Toronto then has its experts on soon afterward.
 
As important as this story is and as much as I’m following it – because it affects us all – am I the only one who finds myself increasingly waiting for just the headlines? Wouldn’t radio and TV stations do listeners and viewers a better service by just distilling this down to the pertinent facts or clips once it’s all over, instead of letting these guys go on and on and on every day?
 
I well recall all the SARS pressers I had to sit through for endless weeks in 2003, waiting for any nugget of new information to come out after the first month. I wonder if anyone here is still watching these press conferences on a daily basis or tuning them out and waiting for the newscasts that follow to tell them the important facts.

And believe me, as a news junkie, I never thought I'd feel this way. But enough is too much already. Thankfully, the virus hasn't made me sick. But too many pressers has!

 

April 28, 2020 12:12 pm  #2


Re: Are You Sick Of All The Live COVID-19 Press Conferences On TV & Radio?

All government all the time.  Enough.

 

April 28, 2020 3:35 pm  #3


Re: Are You Sick Of All The Live COVID-19 Press Conferences On TV & Radio?

Agree 100% about Solomon taking Ford live.  A typical CBC-esque decision, but decided by CFRB. Meh, all ivory towers are the same, I guess.  If I'm in BC, I'd be outraged, unless the stations opt out. But can you opt out in a "network?" .idk. Where I live they replay the show in its entirety at 2000.  So it's 8 hours old!  Breaking news me arse! lol

 

April 28, 2020 7:54 pm  #4


Re: Are You Sick Of All The Live COVID-19 Press Conferences On TV & Radio?

Is this not why we have news channels?  or the CBC?

CHCH runs these pressers.  They have a different mandate. 

What's the point of watching the last few minutes of Hogan's Heroes or, even worse, joining Mission Impossible (a show you have to pay close attention to from the beginning) half way through?  They aren't adding anything of value to the broadcast. 

Sorry but if I want news, I'll tune into a news channel.
 

 

April 28, 2020 8:27 pm  #5


Re: Are You Sick Of All The Live COVID-19 Press Conferences On TV & Radio?

I don't think I'd mind so much if there were any news value to them. But most just seem to be a "here-we-are-we're-looking-after-things" PR effort to show that they're on the job. The fact they're rarely the top story any more (including Trudeau's latest daily money drop) on most noon or 6 PM newscasts speaks volumes to me. 

     Thread Starter
 

April 28, 2020 8:32 pm  #6


Re: Are You Sick Of All The Live COVID-19 Press Conferences On TV & Radio?

RadioActive wrote:

Then Doug Ford gets his coverage at around 1:15 in the afternoon. (Someone will have to explain why Evan Solomon’s national radio show takes the full thing everyday. If I’m in Vancouver, why would I care what Ford has to say?!

Because as much as they pretend it is, it's not a national show. Sure, it airs in Vancouver, but virtually nobody there is listening. It's all about whether it makes sense for CFRB and CFRA to carry them. (1410 Vancouver registered a 0.0 share yesterday)


Not sure what you mean by "every radio station" though. The news/talk stations are carrying these; that's it. That's a small percentage of what people are listening to.

Last edited by RadioAaron (April 28, 2020 8:36 pm)


 
 

April 28, 2020 9:09 pm  #7


Re: Are You Sick Of All The Live COVID-19 Press Conferences On TV & Radio?

I am this close to cutting my cable...now all or most ads talk about Covid-19 and how we're all in this together, but hey while you're collecting $2000 lease a Jeep...

Then the news is about Covid...and you wonder why we may be getting sick? If the body is 97% water and what we hear, read, watch affects our emotions, and water is about emotions, watching the news media and TV ads is kind of getting to me.

Ease up on the propaganda already...not that we should go back to normal, but isn't there something else happening around the world that they can report on besides Covid-19...

Give me solutions, give me hope, give me truth...and maybe a good glass of Macallan's while you're at it!

 


The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...
 

April 28, 2020 9:43 pm  #8


Re: Are You Sick Of All The Live COVID-19 Press Conferences On TV & Radio?

RadioAaron wrote:

Not sure what you mean by "every radio station" though. The news/talk stations are carrying these; that's it. That's a small percentage of what people are listening to.

By every station, I was obviously (or apparently, not so obviously)  referring to the news/talkers,which for better or worse, is what I mostly listen to. Call it a little literary licence. The Trudeau propaganda appearance is covered live every day by CFRB, CFMJ (GNR640), CBC Radio 1, and CKTB locally, to name the ones I can think of. I haven't checked, but it's probably also on CJBC. And it appears on every major GTA TV station except City, TVO and, I think, the OMNIs.

That's a lot of air time being taken up for something that in the end, generates very little real news. Most of it could be conveyed by a press release and most of these aid programs could all be released at once. But then, he wouldn't get his major face time and convince people he was doing something.

And I'm not the only one who notices. I've heard several commentators asking, 'why doesn't he just outline his plan for helping, instead of doling it out in dribs and drabs with a new reward for a new set of people every day?' I can only think of two reasons - they're making it up as they go along and he wants his 45 minutes of attention that comes from having him come out there at 11:15 AM, followed by a half hour of not answering the questions being asked in two different languages. 

But there's often so little news, it's become a pointless PR exercise, even for someone who's an admitted newshound. And frankly, I'd rather hear regular programming. 

     Thread Starter
 

April 29, 2020 6:23 am  #9


Re: Are You Sick Of All The Live COVID-19 Press Conferences On TV & Radio?

I normally listen to about 5 different radio newscasts every morning then I have to turn them off and put it aside. So I turn on the TV in the background. CHCH runs old shows all day long. One of my favs is Hogan's Heroes. Then guess who comes on and interrupts it.

 

April 29, 2020 9:47 am  #10


Re: Are You Sick Of All The Live COVID-19 Press Conferences On TV & Radio?

andysradio wrote:

I normally listen to about 5 different radio newscasts every morning then I have to turn them off and put it aside. So I turn on the TV in the background. CHCH runs old shows all day long. One of my favs is Hogan's Heroes. Then guess who comes on and interrupts it.

Dr. Tamiflu?   https://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons3/devil.png
 https://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons3/grin.png


 

 

April 30, 2020 8:23 pm  #11


Re: Are You Sick Of All The Live COVID-19 Press Conferences On TV & Radio?

So today, I am breaking my silence to speak from experience about the live COVID-19 press conferences on radio by Trudeau and Ford. 

I was PD of CFRB in Toronto when SARS hit and I insisted we carry the daily press conferences of the doctors and politicians on CFRB. On air staff thought I was nuts. ("How many times are we going to carry these press conferences telling people to wash their hands?") asked the announcers whose shows were pre-empted and who then had to continue the coverage by taking calls from listeners about what was said at the press conferences.

I also insisted that the morning shows and afternoon drive shows have Dr. Mitch on to discuss SARS. When the PPM ratings came out after SARS, The time slots where we aired the press conferences and Dr. Mitch jumped a few share points. The ratings went up because listeners made a point to tune in to the press conferences, the talk shows taking calls about SARS and Dr. Mitch's regular time slot.

I was in Montreal when H1N1 hit and told the on air staff at CJAD I wanted Dr. Mitch on the morning show and in the afternoon every day at the same time. Hosts are all the same. It doesn't matter what radio station they work for. Tell them they have to surrender time from their show EVERY DAY and they rebel. But I was able to convince them by telling them how SARS increased the ratings on CFRB when we had Dr. Mitch on or when we carried the SARS press conferences.

The problem with the H1N1 press conference in Montreal was that most of the comments were in French. So I assigned one reporter to monitor the daily 3pm press conference to lift the English tape and record a 10-15 minute package that aired in afternoon drive. Included in the H1N1 package was Dr. Mitch and a CJAD reporter asking a question at the press conference. When the PPM ratings came out, CJAD was up THREE share points!

It was interesting that with SARS it was about washing your hands and with H1N1 it was about getting the flu shot. Today with COVID-19, we're back to washing our hands.

So, why am I rehasing all this. To counter those who are complaining about news and newstalk radio stations carrying these news conferences. I was there for SARS and H1N1, and if I was still running a CJAD or a CFRB I would do it again today because it is the right thing to do - the average person can't get enough of pandemic information. 

These press conferences on the radio are just like top 40 music stations playing the same top 40 songs over and over every day. The DJ's may get fed up with the same songs just like talk show hosts may get fed up with COVID-19. But the ratings go up during those press conferences because people want to know if the pandemic is claiming more lives and when can they get their lives and jobs back.

I'm not judging if Trudeau or Ford are doing a good job or not. That is a different post. I'm talking about the role news and newstalk radio stations play during a pandemic. Been there, done that. 

OK, this old man is signing off and going back to driving my wife crazy while we stay home and wait out COVID-19.

Stay safe everyone!

 

April 30, 2020 8:27 pm  #12


Re: Are You Sick Of All The Live COVID-19 Press Conferences On TV & Radio?

Thanks for checking back in Mr. Kowch. We may not agree on this issue but I always value your insights and your experience. It's what makes this board so rewarding for me.

The TV station I worked at during SARS had an all news cable outlet attached to it, and we took the pressers every day as well. But I think there's a slight difference between those two incidents. If memory serves, SARS, as terrible as it was, was mainly a GTA/Southern Ontario story. It wasn't as big a deal in say, Calgary. And while it affected certain places, it wasn't the worldwide, economy stopping, business destroying disaster this one is.

Why does that matter? Back then, I think we had one press conference a day. We didn't hear from the Prime Minister, followed by the Premier, followed by a bunch of federal talking heads, and then the mayor and his medical officials. One or two pressers a day on the air is very different than taking up to four or five of them. My point is that it's simply too many talking heads over and over, day in and day out.

And after so many weeks/months of this, they're really not saying anything new anymore. It's become more like a PR handholding exercise for governments.

And that's why I suspect some like yours truly are tiring of it.

Still, I can't argue with your rating success, but I would ask, "How much is too much?"

Either way, I appreciate your well thought-out comments.

Oh, and my sympathy to your wife. I'm sure in your personal ratings book, she always comes in at #1.

Last edited by RadioActive (April 30, 2020 8:51 pm)

     Thread Starter
 

April 30, 2020 11:40 pm  #13


Re: Are You Sick Of All The Live COVID-19 Press Conferences On TV & Radio?

I noticed that the 11 AM ET news specials on CTV and Global are talking about other news items, not just COVID-19 or what the PM has to say (CBC is just simulcasting Newsworld). I am starting to think those two networks are going to start doing a midday national news to replace/supplement their local noon newscasts.

 

May 7, 2020 11:04 pm  #14


Re: Are You Sick Of All The Live COVID-19 Press Conferences On TV & Radio?

i'm thinking, it's better to be "sick" of the conferences as opposed to being "sick" with the virus.

 

May 8, 2020 10:51 am  #15


Re: Are You Sick Of All The Live COVID-19 Press Conferences On TV & Radio?

I've noticed that in the the past few weeks, stations like CFRB that had been carrying the whole Trudeau presser are cutting out of it after the first few minutes and are playing highlights, instead. So clearly they don't feel there's any interest in staying with it for the duration. By contrast, 640 took the whole thing, while RB had analysis, which in my mind was far more interesting.

Just as revealing - CBC Radio 1 cut out of the reporter Q&A as well, to go back to the extended version of The Current.

It appears the strategy of taking this presser for 45 minutes or more day after day is losing its luster for some radio outlets  I don't think any Toronto station is taking the city's daily press conference anymore either. The same goes for the Ottawa-based Dr. Theresa Tam gabfest that happens around noon. 

Perhaps listener fatigue is setting in - or maybe, it's just that programmers have realized outside of an initial announcement at the beginning of each presser, the politicians really don't have that much to say and the rest is just PR.

     Thread Starter
 

May 8, 2020 11:56 am  #16


Re: Are You Sick Of All The Live COVID-19 Press Conferences On TV & Radio?

I noticed that CTV stopped carrying the morning Trudeau presser this week, running The View instead. Global continued to put on a newscast at 11 which included the Trudeau statement and Q&A.  

 

May 11, 2020 10:38 am  #17


Re: Are You Sick Of All The Live COVID-19 Press Conferences On TV & Radio?

CFRB, 640 and even CBC Radio 1 has stopped carrying the daily Trudeau presser, which to me speaks volumes.

Only CKTB and 680 News went live with it on radio Monday. (And 680 foolishly did not have any translation for the inevitable long French answers, which is very inconsiderate and a tune out invitation for their listeners.)

Over on the TV side, there was no coverage on CTV, which had been doing wall-to-wall specials with Lisa LaFlamme, and interestingly not on CBC flagship CBLT, where it had always been carried previously but which stayed with their kids' programming. (I'm quite sure their respective all news channels picked it up, but it shows that the regular networks no longer consider it necessary.) Global and CHCH were the only two OTA stations that took the entire thing, including the Q&A. 

I have heard an increasing number of commentators openly wishing the feds would just roll out all the aid programs once every few weeks, instead of turning it into a daily - and apparently unnecessary - PR stunt, which unfortunately, is what it seems to have become and many are acknowledging that by not showing it at all.

     Thread Starter
 

May 11, 2020 11:22 am  #18


Re: Are You Sick Of All The Live COVID-19 Press Conferences On TV & Radio?

To sum up the feelings of this board based on posts during the last week or two.
Conrad Black's opinion of the CBC - relevant and newsworthy
Prime Mister's daily address to the nation during a pandemic which continues to kill people by the hundreds - less necessary than Hogan's Heros reruns
I'm with Steve Kowch.

Last edited by Prod Guy (May 11, 2020 11:24 am)

 

May 11, 2020 11:59 am  #19


Re: Are You Sick Of All The Live COVID-19 Press Conferences On TV & Radio?

I'm not saying his addresses are unimportant per se. I'm saying he could do one a week and be even more relevant, instead of this dribs-and-drabs presentation, which is getting tedious. Unless they're willing to admit they're simply making it up as they go along (which is certainly possible) they could present all this in a once-a-week announcement that would, indeed, get a lot of attention.

You can't argue with the evidence - fewer stations are taking it live, if at all, and many that still do are cutting out early. The fact it's no longer the lede on any noon newscast, even minutes after the presser ends, is also evidence that even the pros no longer find it as newsworthy as they once did. (It wasn't even mentioned until 7 minutes in on CTV's Noon News Monday - and even then it was essentially a voiceover.)

I have no problem with the stations showing it if they want. That's their choice. The fact they no longer are, shows they don't think it's that important any more. 

And for the record, I never really liked Hogan's Heroes. But boy, I would have loved to be in on that pitch meeting at CBS back in the 60s. "You want to do a comedy based on WHAT????")

     Thread Starter
 

May 11, 2020 3:41 pm  #20


Re: Are You Sick Of All The Live COVID-19 Press Conferences On TV & Radio?

"Unless they're willing to admit they're making it up as they go along (which is certainly possible) they could present this in a once-a-week announcement...."  And what evidence or facts to you have to support this? 

RA, what the hell are you talking about? I think we all know the world leader who is "making it up as he is going along" and it ain't Trudeau.  Please don't group our PM or any other leader with "Mr. It's All About Me, and look what a Great Job I'm Doing.." As a matter of fact he is on TV right now as I write.

And a once a week update? Are you serious?  Wouldn't you be howling and complaining what a poor job the government (Trudeau) was doing if he was only available  once per week? I bet my bottom dollar you would.  Likely the argument would be..hhhmmm, what is he hiding from the press and public, and why is the information coming out so slow, and why is the government so out of touch?

You said that you have no problem with stations showing the daily updates if they want, that it's there choice. Yes, and isn't that what is happening?  As you say, fewer are taking it live and some are opting out early.  So what is the problem then, and what exactly are you talking about? Just because some stations don't carry the update live any more does not prove your point.   And I disagree, Trudeau's announcement was the lead story on the noon newscast I saw today, and Doug Ford is often the lead on the evening news.

Today's announcements by both Trudeau and Ford were worth watching.  Personally I think Doug Ford has been coming across quite well during his daily updates. I also appreciate that both he and Trudeau have been stressing the cooperation between federal and provincial governments.  Do you have issues Premier Ford's daily updates too? How about Gov. Cuomo of NY, should Doug and Andrew just update once per week? How about President Trump?

Just because you find the updates tedious, self serving or boring doesn't mean that everyone else does.     Oy Vey Man!   Give your head a shake...https://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons3/angry.png

 

May 11, 2020 3:45 pm  #21


Re: Are You Sick Of All The Live COVID-19 Press Conferences On TV & Radio?

the original hank wrote:

i'm thinking, it's better to be "sick" of the conferences as opposed to being "sick" with the virus.

Can I get a very big Amen?
 

 

May 11, 2020 4:02 pm  #22


Re: Are You Sick Of All The Live COVID-19 Press Conferences On TV & Radio?

I have been watching The Partridge Family daily at noon. It's like free mental health therapy - a restorative to the feigned concern all those politicians and medical administrators have for my best interest.
So indeed I stopped watching the pressers weeks ago and just inform myself at the top of the hour.

 

May 11, 2020 4:28 pm  #23


Re: Are You Sick Of All The Live COVID-19 Press Conferences On TV & Radio?

paterson1 wrote:

"Unless they're willing to admit they're making it up as they go along (which is certainly possible) they could present this in a once-a-week announcement...."  And what evidence or facts to you have to support this?

You may disagree with this, but I'm far from the only one who feels that way. I've heard countless - and growing - numbers of commentators wondering why he doesn't just announce a comprehensive program and tell all Canadians affected by this terrible nightmare what they can expect and where they stand. As an example, reporters have been asking him for weeks, "what are you going to do for seniors?" To date there has been no answer, only a vague promise that 'we'll get to it.' Meanwhile, those people have been in limbo for months. Does he know or not? Or is he saving it for yet another announcement that will get him on TV? 

I'm not saying they haven't been doing an adequate job. My point is, if you have an aid program, tell us what it is, instead of this daily drip and drop doling out money to everyone. Can you imagine if they did a budget this way?  "We'll tell you more about what we're planning tomorrow. And the next day. And the next day. And the..."Canadians would be justifiably upset by that and they'd have a right to be.

I'm not sure why you have such an issue with having the government (and I don't care which party we're talking about) telling us what they're going to do. Now. Today. We don't need a months-long soap opera, leaving various groups hanging. And that's why I'm hearing an increasing number of people on the radio wondering about this endless publicity-fest. If you think a part of this is not political, then you don't understand how the game is played. 

paterson1 wrote:

I think we all know the world leader who is "making it up as he is going along" and it ain't Trudeau.  Please don't group our PM or any other leader with "Mr. It's All About Me, and look what a Great Job I'm Doing.." As a matter of fact he is on TV right now as I write.

I never once mentioned He Who Shall Not Be Named, nor did I ever compare our guy to theirs. That's your imagination - or perhaps it's closer to reality than you'd like to admit. 

paterson1 wrote:

And a once a week update? Are you serious?  Wouldn't you be howling and complaining what a poor job the government (Trudeau) was doing if he was only available  once per week? I bet my bottom dollar you would.  Likely the argument would be..hhhmmm, what is he hiding from the press and public, and why is the information coming out so slow, and why is the government so out of touch?

Maybe some would have that reaction, but I wouldn't. I'd prefer an update when one is needed. not him coming out day-by-day to get his face on TV, milking the opportunity to watch his approval rating go up. Tell us what you're going to do and do it. That's fine. Then everyone knows where they stand. That seems simple and logical to me. Still not happy with that reasoning? I'll explain just a little more in my next post tomorrow. And then a tiny bit extra the day after that. And the day after that. And the day after....   

paterson1 wrote:

You said that you have no problem with stations showing the daily updates if they want, that it's there choice. Yes, and isn't that what is happening?  As you say, fewer are taking it live and some are opting out early.  So what is the problem then, and what exactly are you talking about? Just because some stations don't carry the update live any more does not prove your point.

My point is that it was once a daily update, anchored by their senior people at the start. Now two months or so in, many have chosen to stick with regular shows and eschew special coverage. And if the eschew fits, wear it. It illustrates that in the judgment of the stations I've been monitoring, they simply don't think there's the news value in it that's worth interrupting normal commercial (and yes, commercial is the key word here) programing. Not sure why that upsets you so, but it's simply a fact that it's not getting shown like it used to be. If it was urgent, they'd be interrupting everything to show it.   

paterson1 wrote:

Trudeau's announcement was the lead story on the noon newscast I saw today, and Doug Ford is often the lead on the evening news.

Not sure which stations you watch at noon, but the ones I saw had it much lower down in the newscasts - even the ones that actually carried the presser live. It's a trend I'm noticing more and more often. If he says something truly revealing, I trust it would not only be the headline but they'd have major analysis following it. Those experts have mostly vanished, too. 

paterson1 wrote:

Do you have issues Premier Ford's daily updates too? How about Gov. Cuomo of NY, should Doug and Andrew just update once per week? How about President Trump?

Again, it depends entirely on what they have to announce. If you've been following the U.S. trade publications (here's a typical example, but there are dozens more) you'll see that many of the more anti-Trump cable networks - CNN and MSNBC in particular - are often choosing not to carry Donald's ditherings, despite the fact they often rate well. Again, it's a news judgment and it depends on what he has to say. If it's just a rant against his enemies, does it deserve airtime? (You may notice that NBC, CBS and ABC, which all used to interrupt programming for his pressers now no longer do so and haven't for weeks. Why do you think that is? Yes, they hate him, but they also know there's no news value in it worth sacrificing all that airtime.) 

You may also notice, that outside of the all-news networks in Canada, Ford's presser, the Theresa Tam show and Mayor Tory's daily updates are not getting shown very much anymore either. Sometimes, they'll join the Tam one in progress, take it for three minutes, then go to other news. That's very different from at the beginning of this and a sign that the novelty - and the news from it - is wearing off.   

paterson1 wrote:

Just because you find the updates tedious, self serving or boring doesn't mean that everyone else does. Oy Vey Man!   Give your head a shake...https://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons3/angry.png

There are plenty of places to find what you're looking for, so fill your boots. I have no problem with anyone who wants to watch it every day. But when every station is showing the exact same thing at the exact same time for no real news reason beyond the fact Trudeau (or Trump) seems to want to be on camera again, then yes, it does bug me.

And as for giving my head a shake, I would, but the rattling noise gives me a headache...

     Thread Starter
 

May 11, 2020 5:56 pm  #24


Re: Are You Sick Of All The Live COVID-19 Press Conferences On TV & Radio?

There is a big difference between "making it up as you go along" and reacting quickly, being flexible and trying to stay on top of a situation that seems to change constantly. And yes, there are things that the government doesn't know, which is no strike against them.  

I still find many of the questions that the press ask at these updates are more to try and trip up Trudeau, Ford, Kenny. Legault etc. or to get some friction going between governments. Our news media needs to grow up and stop with all the "gotcha" questions. The public is not interested in this childish self serving type of journalism in a serious health pandemic.

Governments including the feds are spending billions and billions of dollars that we don't have.  Canada, US, UK, Germany, Spain, you name the country are all going hugely into debt over COVID-19. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the government announcing programs in stages or waiting to see if the second or third stage of a program and money is necessary.  It also allows them to make changes easily or to reevaluate if the program is still even needed.  

It great to say that they should have this comprehensive plan until the end of the year or the next 18 months.  The reality with this would be that the government would need to continually change  plans for large initiatives and revise program estimates of money. This would be more confusing for business and the public, and the government wouldn't look like they had thought a program properly.    So rolling smaller initiatives in stages or as needed is more economical and actually more realistic. It is easier to customize and adapt programs as you go along rather than committing to something that would be more expensive, much larger, and may not even be needed any longer half way through.

No you didn't mention Trump by name but just the fact that you think the government might be willing to "admit that they're making it up as they go along" is an attempt to lump the federal governments handling of this situation with what the US government has done. 

The two countries have handled the crisis totally different and it is pretty obvious putting bias aside, who is doing a better job so far. No it is not my imagination since the Trump government has been accused by many, even by some brave Republicans and Governors that they don't have a plan and don't know what they are doing. Most cheerleaders for the Trump government are predictably FOX news and conservative talk radio.   So you implying that our governments are somehow the same and making it up as they go along is 100% incorrect and misleading.  And if this is so, some facts and proof please. 

Every station is not showing the exact same thing as you keep mentioning.  CTV, CBC, Global main networks are not normally covering Trudeau's pressers any longer so again what is the beef?  If CHCH wants to continue, as you said would be their choice. 

Trudeau was the lead today on both CTV news channel and CBC news network at noon.  Local channels I would think would lead with a local story on COVID-19. Trudeau second or third story?

In terms of a plan for nursing homes, I agree and changes will happen, but that is not Trudeau's call.  Nursing homes are a provincial jurisdiction and any involvement with the federal government will depend on what deals can be made with provinces.  This won't happen likely anytime soon which is unfortunate but all of the governments will need to work on this not just the feds.

Well at least you still have a rattle when you shake your head.  I hear crickets!!https://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons3/sad.png

Last edited by paterson1 (May 11, 2020 6:00 pm)

 

May 11, 2020 6:26 pm  #25


Re: Are You Sick Of All The Live COVID-19 Press Conferences On TV & Radio?


 

May 11, 2020 6:33 pm  #26


Re: Are You Sick Of All The Live COVID-19 Press Conferences On TV & Radio?

I will repeat - the comparisons to Trump are all in your head. I never once referred to him or mentioned his name in any way. That's your interpretation and I can assure you I wasn't thinking of him at all in my previous posts. 

But since this isn't a political board and since we obviously disagree on a lot, I'd much rather steer this back to the media and how local TV and radio are covering it. So while there's a lot I could say about your rebuttal, I'll bite my typing fingers, so to speak, and just conclude with this. 

I fully expect the Canadian cable news networks to take every presser they can get live. They have a ton of time to fill and this meets their mandate in a big way. When I was working for one of them, press conferences were something of a Godsend, giving you a chance to regroup and maybe - just maybe - find a headline or two. Or better yet, take a bit of a break. 

My original comments were about the local media, namely radio and broadcast TV. There, things have almost certainly changed. 

As noted, there are few live pressers now on many of them. And now, though our dear leader steps out on Saturdays with more filler, most stations no longer interrupt their regular program to take it. (Unless you're going to argue that his weekend tete-a-tete isn't as important as the ones Mon.-Fri., which be be absurd.)

So while a lot of what we've argued is based on opinions, here are a few facts, which are a lot harder to dispute.

-Neither local radio or TV are bringing in extra staff, at overtime rates, to cover Trudeau's pressers on the weekend like they once did. And they're not doing it during the weekdays, either. Not even CBC Radio 1 took it on Saturday, finally allowing "Under The Influence" to run in its normal time slot for the first time in weeks. The only logical conclusion must be that they don't think it's worth it, even though they have no idea what he might say. 

-You said in your previous post that the station you watched the noon news on carried Trudeau's press conference announcement as its lead story. I took the liberty of monitoring every single local TV station's 6 o'clock news - CFTO, Global, CBC, and City TV - their most important newscasts of the day - to see where this story landed.

Most led with either store and curbside pick-up reopenings or the fact the latest case counts in Ontario had declined. Then there were tales about Doug Ford's Mother's Day actions (the "gotcha" questions, which you referred to, and I agree with you on those, but that's the nature of the beast), a COVID death in a Toronto shelter,  the big coke bust, an apparent arson in a school and another in a playground, both in Brampton, a kid caught going over 308 km/h an hour on the highway and a police-involved shooting in Brampton. 

And the Trudeau story about the money for big business which you say led the newscasts previously and which you implied was so important? The only station that even mentioned it was CFTO, which did a Kevin Gallagher  reporter wrap on the item - and that wasn't until 6:13 PM. I watched Global, CBC and City and not one them - not even the CBC - bothered to cover it at all. Not a clip. Not even copy. 

So it would appear their producers didn't think it was all that important.

All I'm saying is that unless there's a cure, a vaccine or another huge spike in cases, Trudeau's breathless, overly dramatic pronouncements no longer seem to be carrying the same weight as they did in the early days of this mess. And more and more stations - CFRB, GNR 640, CBC Radio 1, CFTO, City TV, and CBC - have all stopped taking it. 

That speaks more than I can say. And apparently more than Trudeau can say, either.

     Thread Starter
 

May 11, 2020 7:40 pm  #27


Re: Are You Sick Of All The Live COVID-19 Press Conferences On TV & Radio?

Well first off, we would absolutely get along RA.  I don't have any doubt about some spirited discussion but always a congratulations of a good debate, eventually a hand shake (with gloves on and from a distance) and possibly even a little liquid reward. 

What got my potatoes boiling was your political statement and assumption about the government willing to admit they were making their plans up as they went along. You brought up this "politics" not me. That is your opinion but not based on any evidence. Stations not calling in extra staff on a weekend is not evidence of a lack of planning by the federal government. Even Governor Cuomo of NY who always has lots of info is not getting the same coverage.  So your statement of the government making it up as they are going along in fact is in your head and not really based on anything. 

I think it is totally understandable that most stations are more in a monitoring phase for all the updates now and are not covering live. And yes often there isn't a lot of new information but this isn't necessarily a reflection of any government's lack of a plan. They are doing what any responsible government should do in a time of crisis, and this still is a very serious situation. Federal and provincial governments have been available and front and centre, and they should be commended for this.  What is covered daily falls as much on the broadcasters as the government. 

 

May 11, 2020 8:11 pm  #28


Re: Are You Sick Of All The Live COVID-19 Press Conferences On TV & Radio?

Fair enough and I know you enjoy these spirited debates, which I suspect is why you start them! 

My impression of them "making it up as they go," and yes, I'll admit that's not based on fact, more like a feeling and observation isn't just my thought process. I've heard Jerry Agar and Bill Carroll both venture the same opinions as this has dragged on.Those two certainly won't surprise you. But perhaps this will - John Moore has also ventured this opinion about our P.M.'s constant announcements. And this is just one of the places where I've heard pundits much wiser than I'll ever be come out with this idea.

I'll conclude with one last repeat - political innuendo aside, all I've really been saying throughout this thread is that more and more stations are taking less and less of these pressers as the week goes on. You may not agree with that decision, but that's simply a fact beyond dispute. And I'm not making that up as I go along. 

     Thread Starter
 

May 11, 2020 8:53 pm  #29


Re: Are You Sick Of All The Live COVID-19 Press Conferences On TV & Radio?

Well I hope you and the one or two on here that actually read our long posts enjoy as well.  What would be the point be then?

I don't disagree with fewer stations, radio and TV covering these updates at all. It is up to them and if they don't carry live, fine by me.  I doubt that CBC, CTV and CP24 newschannels will drop them though and they all still have some decent analysis before and after. I do feel however it is very important for now that both the feds and the provincial governments have regular updates. Depending on what happens the dailies  may soon not be necessary, but still more than once per week for now anyway.

Now in terms of the government making it up as they go along, that really is more about Trudeau's speaking style. Justin often comes across this way with his hesitations and somewhat odd adolescent style that he still has. To me both the feds and provincial government have been more or less sticking to their plan and rolling out programs carefully and in stages and I don't have a problem with this. In fact as I mentioned  this is preferable to a long term year plan right now, still too early for that.  That's only because there is still a lot that we don't know.
 

 

May 12, 2020 6:00 am  #30


Re: Are You Sick Of All The Live COVID-19 Press Conferences On TV & Radio?

Count me in as part of the "one or two crowd" I DO read, and enjoy your long posts. Not all opinions can be expressed in several sentences. Neither can opposing views.  I noticed no snide, snarky comments. Both parties made valid points. The main point though, while RA and paterson1 did disagree on the topic of discussion, neither were disagreeable.