sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 4, 2020 12:08 pm  #1

CFTO weak signal

It was particularly bad this weekend, but generally less reliable since switching to real channel 8. Any explanations or hopes for improvement?

May 4, 2020 2:23 pm  #2

Re: CFTO weak signal

Perhaps running lower maybe they are working on repack of other channels in the CN Tower. tvguy usually chimes in and gives his great info on the situations.

May 4, 2020 2:30 pm  #3

They are hit and miss in Whitby and I have a clear shot at the CN tower from the roof.  50-60 kms tops, that said, I know they were on reduced power for a while.  Also, there is VHF and UHF for OTA.  My antenna is not both and for the life of me I can't remember what CFTO broadcasts on, but it sucks!!  Even the lowered powered Buffalo stations come in just fine and they are repacking if not already completed!

May 4, 2020 3:49 pm  #4

CFTO is VHF, formerly on RF 9 / Virtual 9, and since last year, they have been on RF 8 / Virtual 9.

I have the same problem with hit and miss reception of CFTO in Burlington. I have a clear shot to the CN Tower, and receive the other Toronto OTA stations without issue... except CFTO...

In fact, this past Friday / Saturday I was receiving CBS 5 from Syracuse N.Y., WPBS from Watertown N.Y. and most of the Rochester N.Y. UHF stations....

I have a couple of antennas with dipoles, but CFTO is hit and miss...