sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 17, 2020 8:59 am  #1

How Radio Has Survived & Thrived During The Coronavirus Crisis

Bill King in FYIMusicNews.ca talks to several industry veterans, including the managing director of Jazz FM, longtime consultant David Bray, Ross Davies, formerly with CHUM and Astral, and even Toronto Mike about how radio has performed during this seemingly endless and unprecedented viral nightmare.

Radio in the Time of Crisis

April 17, 2020 9:05 am  #2

Re: How Radio Has Survived & Thrived During The Coronavirus Crisis

As it was frequently stated in this forum that much of radio is consumed by individuals in vehicles (sitting on the DVP waiting for Jody to advise how long the holdup will be) has overall radio listening grown, stayed steady or declined?          

April 17, 2020 9:25 am  #3

According to radio consultant David Bray in the article linked to above, the medium actually has more listeners than before the crisis hit. 

"...Tuning levels are good, even while some on-air talents are broadcasting from home. Anyone coming into the station must keep their distance from fellow employees.

News/Talk stations are seeing significant increases in tuning.

From February 24 to March 30, at home, listening to AM/FM has increased by 29%.

Lastly, the streaming of AM/FM stations has amounted to 19% of tuning for A25-54, an increase of 72% over the January level of 11%."

The problem is ad revenues are understandably down because there are fewer businesses open and thus fewer people buying time. Talk about Catch-22 (Or should that be "Catch-19" in this case?) 

April 17, 2020 9:39 am  #4

RadioActive wrote:

According to radio consultant David Bray in the article linked to above, the medium actually has more listeners than before the crisis hit. 

"...Tuning levels are good, even while some on-air talents are broadcasting from home. Anyone coming into the station must keep their distance from fellow employees.

Lastly, the streaming of AM/FM stations has amounted to 19% of tuning for A25-54, an increase of 72% over the January level of 11%."

The problem is ad revenues are understandably down because there are fewer businesses open and thus fewer people buying time. Talk about Catch-22 (Or should that be "Catch-19" in this case?) 

Ad revenue problems go with the economic meltdown. CFIB is talking about 50% of small businesses possibly failing if this lasts another month. Whether or not their numbers are accurate, the economy in many ways and sectors is taking a massive hit. The best thing radio can do now is use the time to enhance digital platforms, try new things, enhance credibility and listenership even more, and work on revenue generation models that will work when this ends. Keep in mind that a huge reason we're in this so deeply is because the bean counters have failed in  places like nursing homes, government, etc. Not that this is the time to actually spend more money - it's the time to plan how to invest money wisely once things ease up and the timing is more optimal.

April 17, 2020 10:44 am  #5

In ottawa, Torres owned Rebel FM has always been creative about engaging local advertisers.  they are currently offering free website development for ecommerce and as much as $40,000 per month in airtime/inventory to small businesses in the region.
good luck to them.

https://rebel1017.multiscreensite.com/free-websites

April 17, 2020 10:54 am  #6

splunge wrote:

In ottawa, Torres owned Rebel FM has always been creative about engaging local advertisers.  they are currently offering free website development for ecommerce and as much as $40,000 per month in airtime/inventory to small businesses in the region.
good luck to them.

https://rebel1017.multiscreensite.com/free-websites

That's goodstuff. reminds me of ad depts in newspapers actually creating or helping create some ads for small businesses. Website development is a logical though creative extension... what do people / businesses TRULY need in a given moment and going forward. Then meet that need! Good for Torres!

April 18, 2020 8:10 am  #7

Safe to say that usage and ratings for all traditional media is up right now as compared to a year ago. Radio is experiencing what many daily newspapers have been dealing with for years, more listeners but lower revenues. And the same with television, however I feel that TV may be fairing the best overall right now.

I don't know about the rest of you but I have been watching/listening to TV much more than listening to radio during the COVID crisis. Not saying that TV coverage is any better, but I just seem to gravitate more to TV, bouncing between CTV, CBC, CNN, CP24, BBC and my local CTV station in K-W.  I like the visual graphics and COVID stats that come up on television and of course the immediacy.

Also always checking the CNN, FOX, CBC, Globe and Mail, National Post and BBC websites. So maybe it's just a case that I haven't had much more time for radio, although I do tune in Newstalk 1010, 640 and locally Newstalk 570 in the few times weekly I am in the car.

I like the analysis on both CBC and CTV prior to and after Trudeau's update everyday, and CP24 has done a good job focusing on the GTA and Ontario. I have watched quite a few of the updates with Doug Ford  and from some of the other Premiers. Also I appreciate CTV's heartwarming, humourous, and somewhat rallying stories that they feature at the end of the national newscast. CBC also finishes their newscasts on the National with an upbeat, inspirational or lighter note.  

However, I am growing tired of the inane questions that some of the news media are asking  Trudeau, the Premier's and various Health Minister's after the daily updates.  Some in the media are really trying to get conflict going between Trudeau and Trump, or trying to blame the situation at nursing homes on Doug Ford.  Stupid questions everyday like "when do you think we will be back to normal and what is the time frame?"  News media, please.  Do you actually think any politician knows this?

The problems with under staffing and the spread of illness in nursing homes have been going on for decades here and elsewhere. I currently have a brother in a nursing home, and my wonderful late mother spent 12 years in a nursing home. So like some of you,  I have experienced the good and have seen the weakness of these institutions first hand.   And finally, any media induced Trump/Trudeau conflict would just be an unwelcome sideshow diversion which nobody needs right now.

However, the general TV coverage has been good and I think mostly balanced. That is here, but not CNN.

I find CNN to be far too opinionated and fixate constantly on what should have been done, how much everyone knew months ago, how the president and his government are so incompetent etc. etc.  The best personality by far on CNN is Sanjay Gupta who is a professional.  Isn't it sad that a doctor is a far better journalist and much more measured and fair in his approach than many of the main CNN anchors, who at times get too emotional, too opinionated and again always seem to focus on conflict and controversy.  This gets predictable and a turn off, at least for me. 

And sadly the same can be said for FOX, which I only hear on Sirius XM and I do look at their dreadful website. They are as guilty as CNN but for other reasons. They almost never question anything that Trump or his government does, and are still talking about Obama as if he just left office last week. They are constantly denigrating Joe Biden, and like Trump, treat anyone or any organization that disagrees with them as the enemy.  Even legitimate factual concerns are dismissed as fake or tied into some conspiracy against the current government, America and their way of life.  Pretty sad.

I have noticed that TV seems to still have a lot of commercials and about 75% are new since they are talking about COVID and the changes that everyone is dealing with.  Some ads have been more like a public service, from larger companies and some of the auto manufacturers.  A lot of restaurants are advertising on TV pushing their take out and delivery, and of course all of the government ads.  So TV may be getting through this the best so far revenue wise,  they may be bleeding the least, but they are definitely bleeding. 

April 18, 2020 4:36 pm  #8

RadioActive wrote:

The medium most definitely does *not* have more listeners. He's cherry-picking. Sure, at home listening increased by 29%, but that was by people who already were at home AM/FM listeners. Of course it went up! Not to mention at-home was a fraction of in-car commute-time listening, which is shedding tuning faster than at-home is increasing.  Streaming is up, naturally, but there's no mention of whether that is *new* tuning or just a platform shift.

Here's an apples to apples comparison - Numeris numbers from the first Wednesday in March vs the first Wednesday in April:

Total CUME, all rated stations, Toronto:
March 11 - 3,581,000
April 8 - 2,599,000

Average Minute Audience, all rated stations, Toronto:
March 11 - 344,900
April 8 - 261,400

Some daily CUME comparisons by station:
CBC: 591,000 --> 391,000
CHFI: 887,00 --> 405,000
Q107: 463,000 --> 370,000
CFRB: 233,000 --> 176,000
CHUM: 552,000 --> 280,000

NewsTalk stations aren't getting more tuning, they're getting a higher tuning *share*; a bigger piece of a smaller pie.

Last edited by RadioAaron (April 18, 2020 4:38 pm)

April 19, 2020 7:28 am  #9

Kilgore wrote:

I admit never having had time for something called Jewel 88.5 until the SOWNY announcement that the inimitable Roger Ashby is heard there Sunday mornings 9 - noon.   

It may inspire a book "Roger and Me"       

Also airs there Saturday afternoon from 4-7 PM if you don't want to wait or if that's a better time for you.

April 19, 2020 5:17 pm  #10

I finally got a chance to hear Roger's show this morning at work. I work in a small independent grocery store and Sunday mornings are pretty quiet.  Very impressed. His vast knowledge of music and the artists who perform it is incredibly entertaining. I found it more interesting to listen to what he had to say about a particular song than to listen to that song. He did a really nice tribute to Bill Withers. I also didn't know that the Elvis version of Suspicious Minds was not the original. It was cool to hear Gas Light by the Ugly Ducklings and the Flaming Embers Westbound #9. Don't think I have heard either song since their original chart run.

April 19, 2020 5:32 pm  #11

mace wrote:

I work in a small independent grocery store.

One of our unsung COVID-19 heroes! I, for one, am grateful for your being there. (My fridge thanks you, too...)

April 19, 2020 11:11 pm  #12

Thanks RA. The nice thing about working in a grocery store is I never have to wait in line. I shop on the days I work AND I live three blocks from the store so I can walk to work. Haven't bought gas since March 15th. I still have 3/4 of a tank left.

April 24, 2020 5:31 pm  #13

RadioActive wrote:

Kilgore wrote:

I admit never having had time for something called Jewel 88.5 until the SOWNY announcement that the inimitable Roger Ashby is heard there Sunday mornings 9 - noon.   It may inspire a book "Roger and Me"       

Also airs there Saturday afternoon from 4-7 PM if you don't want to wait or if that's a better time for you.

Thank you.    Is anyone carrying Ashby's Sunday Oldies show, other than Jewel 88.5?

April 24, 2020 6:02 pm  #14

Not sure of the time it airs on each one, but according to Bell's Orbyt Media, here's the affiliate list:

CKDX-FM 88.5 in Toronto
CJWL-FM 98.5 in Ottawa-Hull
CKHY-FM 105.1 in Halifax
CFMP-FM 107.7 in Arnprior, Ont.
CHSV-FM 106.7 in Hudson, Ont.
CIYM-FM 100.9 in Brighton, Ont.
CJGB-FM 99.3 in Meaford, Ont.
CJWV-FM 96.7 in Peterborough, Ont.
CKHK-FM 107.7 in Hawkesbury, Ont.
CKLY-FM 91.9 in Lindsay, Ont.
CKNC-FM 99.7 Simcoe, Ont.
CKPC-FM 92.1 in Brantford, Ont.
CKWW 580 in Windsor, Ont.
CKDO-FM 107.7 in Oshawa, Ont.
CHTG-FM 92.9 in Haldimand, Ont.
CHRC-FM 92.5 in Clarence-Rockland, Ont.

April 26, 2020 8:26 am  #15

CKDX-FM 88.5 in Toronto
CJWL-FM 98.5 in Ottawa-Hull
CKHY-FM 105.1 in Halifax
CFMP-FM 107.7 in Arnprior, Ont.
CHSV-FM 106.7 in Hudson, Ont.
CIYM-FM 100.9 in Brighton, Ont.
CJGB-FM 99.3 in Meaford, Ont.
CJWV-FM 96.7 in Peterborough, Ont.
CKHK-FM 107.7 in Hawkesbury, Ont.
CKLY-FM 91.9 in Lindsay, Ont.
CKNC-FM 99.7 Simcoe, Ont.
CKPC-FM 92.1 in Brantford, Ont.
CKWW 580 in Windsor, Ont.
CKDO-FM 107.7 in Oshawa, Ont.
CHTG-FM 92.9 in Haldimand, Ont.
CHRC-FM 92.5 in Clarence-Rockland, Ont.

Truthfully  CKDK is Newmarket and CHSV is Hudson Quebec (not Ontario) 

April 26, 2020 8:37 am  #16

The list comes from the Bell Media press release. Why they put it out that way is something you'd have to ask them. But then, if CKLW is said to be in Bingham Falls, Michigan, as we saw in a previous thread, anything's possible!

April 26, 2020 9:47 am  #17

RadioActive wrote:

The list comes from the Bell Media press release. Why they put it out that way is something you'd have to ask them. But then, if CKLW is said to be in Bingham Falls, Michigan, as we saw in a previous thread, anything's possible!

Shoddy work which we see way too much.

Anyway my morning was made a few minutes ago when Roger Ashby played The Woolies garage rock version of Who Do You Love. Don't remember ever hearing that track on area radio but it was a regional hit in 1966.

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/