sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 8, 2020 11:34 am  #1

Milton FM Station Gets Power Boost, Despite Some CRTC Resistance

Unless you live in or around Milton, you’ve probably never listened to CJML-FM, the MyFM station that serves that city.

But despite not passing the usual sniff tests for getting a power increase, the Commission is allowing them to have one anyway.

MyFM is on 101.3 and operates with a small 228 watts. Generally, the CRTC only allows a power boost when a station can demonstrate an economic or specific technical need. But CJML failed to meet either criteria, despite arguing that it might not be financially viable if they couldn’t get their signal out farther. The CRTC says that new stations (it’s only been on since 2017) generally don’t make money in their first few years, so they rejected that argument. They also didn’t show a technical need, either. And there’s no other frequency where they could go that would address their issues.

So why did they get a virtual doubling of the signal to 480 watts? It’s because the CRTC judged that Milton is one of the fastest growing cities in the GTA and getting the signal out farther will serve a rapidly expanding community that didn't exist before, without spilling over into other markets, creating another competitor.  

So Jon Pole wins another round!

CRTC Decision

April 8, 2020 1:51 pm  #2

Re: Milton FM Station Gets Power Boost, Despite Some CRTC Resistance

I still rather hope myFM would apply for a frequency change to 101.1 or 101.5 MHz, because 101.3 has too much interference on it...

April 8, 2020 2:06 pm  #3

Actually I'm puzzled how they could not demonstrate a technical need.     CJSA-FM Toronto on the same frequency just overpowers Milton's MyFM on the same frequency.   You have to be almost to the transmitter site to get MyFM in Milton at all.     CJSA is based on First Canadian Place with 850 watts ERP, which is likely why MyFM with only 228 watts couldn't fight it off.   The height of CJSA would put CJSA at a huge advantage.

Personally I think MyFM would have been better off on another frequency, even 1 up the dial, but if they have to use 101.3, more power would for sure help push CJSA back.   

Drive down the 401, and you will see what happens... You have to be half way through Milton to even hear MyFM.    Hopefully bumping up to 480 will help, but it's still going to be hard to push CJSA back especially on the East side.    

Last edited by radiokid (April 8, 2020 2:07 pm)

April 8, 2020 3:25 pm  #4

The CJML tower site is located in a naturally low lying area (near a creek, on Reg. Rd 25 / South of Derry Rd).

As well, the tower itself is not that tall... resembles a self supporting cellular mono pole structure.

April 8, 2020 6:11 pm  #5

Barrie, Fergus and Fort Erie are on 101.1; Orangeville and Hamilton have 101.5. Not easy...

December 6, 2020 12:51 am  #6

The myFM Milton application was approved in April, but only came into effect around these few days in December. I was driving around the areas surrounding Milton and Peel Region to observe if there's any change in signal strength of myFM and other stations on the same frequency.

CMR FM 101.3 (CJSA), which targets the south Asian communities in GTA, have their signal greatly affected in cities such as Mississauga and Brampton, especially on the western fringes by myFM. myFM is constantly cutting in CJSA in areas such as the 401 & 407 intersection and Lisgar GO station, which a certain amount of CMR listeners resides nearby. The HD signal is even affected worse, with static-y signals compared with still-listenable a week before.

myFM Milton's signal is considerably stronger, however certain low-lying areas are still constantly being affected by CJSA and Easy 101.3 in Tillsonburg. I'm not sure why CRTC would approve myFM on the extremely congested 101.3 frequency in the first sight, even the power increase doesn't help a lot in solving the interference. I'm sure myFM won't take a long time before they apply for another change, specifically changing to another frequency.

Last edited by Adrian106072 (December 6, 2020 12:53 am)

December 6, 2020 6:30 pm  #7

Adrian106072 wrote:

The myFM Milton application was approved in April, but only came into effect around these few days in December. I was driving around the areas surrounding Milton and Peel Region to observe if there's any change in signal strength of myFM and other stations on the same frequency.

CMR FM 101.3 (CJSA), which targets the south Asian communities in GTA, have their signal greatly affected in cities such as Mississauga and Brampton, especially on the western fringes by myFM. myFM is constantly cutting in CJSA in areas such as the 401 & 407 intersection and Lisgar GO station, which a certain amount of CMR listeners resides nearby. The HD signal is even affected worse, with static-y signals compared with still-listenable a week before.

myFM Milton's signal is considerably stronger, however certain low-lying areas are still constantly being affected by CJSA and Easy 101.3 in Tillsonburg. I'm not sure why CRTC would approve myFM on the extremely congested 101.3 frequency in the first sight, even the power increase doesn't help a lot in solving the interference. I'm sure myFM won't take a long time before they apply for another change, specifically changing to another frequency.

If My Broadcasting ever decides to change CJML-FM's frequency from 101.3 MHz to a new frequency in Milton which isn't easy in the GTA, I've listed some potential FM frequencies below that may or may not work for Milton. The only other option is move to the AM band which is very rare this day in age and likely won't happen!

88.7 MHz a first adjacent frequency to CIRV-FM 88.9 Toronto, ON and both CKDX-FM 88.5 Newmarket, ON and possibly the new 88.5 Grimsby, ON. Interference with CIWN-FM 88.7 Mount Forest, ON may be minimal but may interfere with CIRV-FM Toronto.

89.7 MHz lies in between CIUT-FM 89.5 Toronto, ON and CJBC-FM-2 89.9 Paris, ON; may interfere with both stations on 89.5 and 89.9.

93.1 MHz interference with CHAY-FM Barrie, ON may vary and both 93.3 Guelph and Hamilton as well as CHTG-FM 92.9 Caledonia, ON

95.7 MHz interference with CFJB-FM Barrie, ON may vary and CJKX-FM 95.9 Toronto and Ajax. CJOY 1460 AM Guelph, ON was denied a license to move to 95.7 MHz a few years back.

96.9 MHz is used by a very low-power radio station CKHC-FM at Humber College in Toronto. May definitely interfere with CKHC-FM.

100.5 and/or 100.9 MHz may interfere with CHIN-FM 100.7 Toronto.

101.7 MHz interference from CKNX-FM Wingham, ON may vary. Also is a first adjacent frequency to CKMO-FM 101.5 Orangeville, ON and second adjacent to CFNY-FM 102.1 Toronto with possibly a low-power tourist info station at 101.7 in Toronto if it's still on the air.

104.1 MHz a first adjacent frequency from CIRR-FM 103.9 Toronto and second adjacent from CHUM-FM 104.5 Toronto.

106.3 MHz a first adjacent frequency from CIMJ-FM 106.1 Guelph, ON and CFPT-FM 106.5 Toronto.

It's hard to say which frequency would be best for CJML-FM Milton if they change frequencies. Toronto and southern Ontario sure has a crowded FM dial indeed!

December 7, 2020 8:33 am  #8

Scorpio42 wrote:

Adrian106072 wrote:

If My Broadcasting ever decides to change CJML-FM's frequency from 101.3 MHz to a new frequency in Milton which isn't easy in the GTA, I've listed some potential FM frequencies below that may or may not work for Milton. The only other option is move to the AM band which is very rare this day in age and likely won't happen!

88.7 MHz a first adjacent frequency to CIRV-FM 88.9 Toronto, ON and both CKDX-FM 88.5 Newmarket, ON and possibly the new 88.5 Grimsby, ON. Interference with CIWN-FM 88.7 Mount Forest, ON may be minimal but may interfere with CIRV-FM Toronto.

89.7 MHz lies in between CIUT-FM 89.5 Toronto, ON and CJBC-FM-2 89.9 Paris, ON; may interfere with both stations on 89.5 and 89.9.

93.1 MHz interference with CHAY-FM Barrie, ON may vary and both 93.3 Guelph and Hamilton as well as CHTG-FM 92.9 Caledonia, ON

95.7 MHz interference with CFJB-FM Barrie, ON may vary and CJKX-FM 95.9 Toronto and Ajax. CJOY 1460 AM Guelph, ON was denied a license to move to 95.7 MHz a few years back.

96.9 MHz is used by a very low-power radio station CKHC-FM at Humber College in Toronto. May definitely interfere with CKHC-FM.

100.5 and/or 100.9 MHz may interfere with CHIN-FM 100.7 Toronto.

101.7 MHz interference from CKNX-FM Wingham, ON may vary. Also is a first adjacent frequency to CKMO-FM 101.5 Orangeville, ON and second adjacent to CFNY-FM 102.1 Toronto with possibly a low-power tourist info station at 101.7 in Toronto if it's still on the air.

104.1 MHz a first adjacent frequency from CIRR-FM 103.9 Toronto and second adjacent from CHUM-FM 104.5 Toronto.

106.3 MHz a first adjacent frequency from CIMJ-FM 106.1 Guelph, ON and CFPT-FM 106.5 Toronto.

It's hard to say which frequency would be best for CJML-FM Milton if they change frequencies. Toronto and southern Ontario sure has a crowded FM dial indeed!

104.1 would get more interference from WHTT in Buffalo and CICZ IN Midland. Along the 401 in Toronto, The DOCK does at times mess up the Buffalo signal.