sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 22, 2020 12:22 am  #1

Free NHL hockey now, free Crave tv next?

I was scrolling through Twitter and read that TSN has unlocked the NHL channel for the next while to provide free access to the "best of" programming they're serving up as long as this season is suspended. That means lots of classic matchups and landmark games from years ago.

It'll be good to see the game played from a time when the shifts were longer and if a guy roughed up your goalie, there was a reaction from the bench, and payback in one way or another.

Do you think TSN's parent company Bell might find a way to give free access for a limited time to Crave, in order to offset the time and money people are spending watching newly released movies like The Invisible Man on YouTube and elsewhere? 

Season 5 of Billions premieres on May 3rd, a free marathon of seasons 1-4 would be a good way to build an audience, and get people into the habit of watching Crave.

(If you're looking for a new show, Billions is brilliant, and lives up to the hype. Not family friendly, but brilliant.)

March 22, 2020 12:32 am  #2

Re: Free NHL hockey now, free Crave tv next?

I watched game 8 of the Canada-USSR 1972 series earlier today -  the game had some many satellite issues, 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNFfK7lnLbY

March 22, 2020 3:27 pm  #3

For those of you who are baseball fans, PBS has unlocked their website pbs.org. The entire Ken Burns 1994 documentary on the game is available for streaming including the "10th Inning" which covered up to the year 2010.

March 22, 2020 11:20 pm  #4

betaylored wrote:

I was scrolling through Twitter and read that TSN has unlocked the NHL channel for the next while to provide free access to the "best of" programming they're serving up as long as this season is suspended. That means lots of classic matchups and landmark games from years ago.

It'll be good to see the game played from a time when the shifts were longer and if a guy roughed up your goalie, there was a reaction from the bench, and payback in one way or another.

Do you think TSN's parent company Bell might find a way to give free access for a limited time to Crave, in order to offset the time and money people are spending watching newly released movies like The Invisible Man on YouTube and elsewhere?

Season 5 of Billions premieres on May 3rd, a free marathon of seasons 1-4 would be a good way to build an audience, and get people into the habit of watching Crave.

(If you're looking for a new show, Billions is brilliant, and lives up to the hype. Not family friendly, but brilliant.)

The NHL Network folded in Canada about three years ago.  Do you have a source?

Last edited by Prod Guy (March 22, 2020 11:21 pm)

March 23, 2020 1:55 am  #5

Prod Guy wrote:

betaylored wrote:

The NHL Network folded in Canada about three years ago.  Do you have a source?

Just went back to Twitter to find the tweet I read from TSN Sports, and surprise! it's gone, looks like my "source" was a very good fake. Not the first time someone has been taken in, won't be the last. I usually do a screenshot for proof but I didn't this time. I don't watch TV anymore Prod Guy, otherwise I would have known that the story of free hockey on the NHL channel in Canada was fake. Thanks for setting me and the record straight.

Though the tweet was fake, the idea of Bell offering a free trial whether it be to sports, Crave or whatever, might be a good move, and a way for the giant company to build goodwill in the community and generate positive publicity.

With this weekend's very sad developments concerning Team Canada and the upcoming Olympics, there's scope for looking back at past games, and highlighting our world class athletes.

Will Bell and other companies like Netflix step up with some free viewing? Definitely maybe. $$$

Last edited by betaylored (March 23, 2020 2:17 am)

March 23, 2020 1:41 pm  #6

TORONTO (March 23, 2020) – Bell Media’s Crave announced today that it’s providing one month free for any new subscribers with access to the internet, expanding from seven to 30 days the trial period that Canadians can sample the service. Available through April 30, the one-time-only offer is for first-time, direct-to-consumer subscribers, and can be accessed now on the Crave app or Crave.ca.

https://www.bellmedia.ca/the-lede/press/crave-offers-30-days-free-to-canadians/

March 23, 2020 4:34 pm  #7

March 23, 2020 6:17 pm  #8

Hollywood Suite is pretty good, enjoy it while it's free. Totally unrelated but I guess AMC settled with Bell?  They were going to be pulled end of February, but they are still there. Somebody blinked and I have a feeling it was AMC.

March 23, 2020 6:51 pm  #9

...and Bell forced all of its newscasts (including that here in Ottawa) to prominently air a story tonight about Crave.  IN THE MIDDLE OF A MASSIVE HEALTH CRISIS, THEY THINK THEY HAVE TO CONTINUE SELF-PROMOTING LIKE THIS???? I don't care about the whole "full disclosure" thing (CTV and Crave being co-owned, yadda yadda yadda), a newscast is not the time or place for this B.S.  Full stop.  End of story.

March 23, 2020 8:27 pm  #10

NHL's youtube feed is streaming the 1995 Flames/Rangers game where Messier scored a hat trick and nailed his 500th goal.  Apparently the league is going to make this a regular thing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNnWcEzXWeE

March 24, 2020 12:07 am  #11

splunge wrote:

NHL's youtube feed is streaming the 1995 Flames/Rangers game where Messier scored a hat trick and nailed his 500th goal.  Apparently the league is going to make this a regular thing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNnWcEzXWeE

Thanks splunge, man I miss hockey,
this is great news 🥅🏒👏

Last edited by betaylored (March 24, 2020 12:08 am)

March 25, 2020 12:19 am  #12

Retaw wrote:

TORONTO (March 23, 2020) – Bell Media’s Crave announced today that it’s providing one month free for any new subscribers with access to the internet, expanding from seven to 30 days the trial period that Canadians can sample the service. Available through April 30, the one-time-only offer is for first-time, direct-to-consumer subscribers, and can be accessed now on the Crave app or Crave.ca.

https://www.bellmedia.ca/the-lede/press/crave-offers-30-days-free-to-canadians/

They love to screw cable subscribers and you wonder why people cut the cord.