sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 18, 2020 2:10 pm  #1

Hockey Night In Canada Becomes "Movie Night In Canada" During Layoff

Something had to take the place of three hours of airtime every Saturday night and it looks like the CBC has decided some cheesy Canadian movies are the best substitutes. A few of them are at least hockey themed. The full sked is here:

‘Movie Night in Canada’ to replace HNIC on CBC

March 18, 2020 3:17 pm  #2

Re: Hockey Night In Canada Becomes "Movie Night In Canada" During Layoff

So why are they automatically "cheesy Canadian movies?"   Have you seen any of them RA?   I have and some of them are excellent.     You should watch some of them..you might even like a few. 

March 18, 2020 4:03 pm  #3

Oooh, Anne of Green Gables ... with Don Cherry playing the role of Elwy Yost. I think I'll stay home for this!

March 18, 2020 4:12 pm  #4

I hope they show "Net Worth."

March 18, 2020 4:16 pm  #5

paterson1 wrote:

So why are they automatically "cheesy Canadian movies?"   Have you seen any of them RA?   I have and some of them are excellent.     You should watch some of them..you might even like a few. 

Yeah, I was wondering if someone would comment on that. And you're right, some Canadian flicks can be very good. I just grew up in a time where "Canadian" attached to a media product meant poor production, bad scripts and terrible acting. Tough to shake that impression after seeing the CBC-produced shows in the 60s and The Trouble With Tracy out of CFTO...

That said, if this continues for a very long time, I wonder how they'll keep filling that time slot. 

March 18, 2020 4:41 pm  #6

RadioActive wrote:

paterson1 wrote:

Yeah, I was wondering if someone would comment on that. And you're right, some Canadian flicks can be very good. I just grew up in a time where "Canadian" attached to a media product meant poor production, bad scripts and terrible acting. Tough to shake that impression after seeing the CBC-produced shows in the 60s and The Trouble With Tracy out of CFTO...

That said, if this continues for a very long time, I wonder how they'll keep filling that time slot. 

This is precisely what CBC should be doing on TV.  Partner even more with National Film Board, etc...

March 18, 2020 4:52 pm  #7

*chuckles* i'd love to re-watch the original "Street Legal" series .. i'm serious ..

p.s. but re-watching "He Shoots, He Scores" may be too soon : )) ..

March 18, 2020 6:29 pm  #8

But I must admit, Bon Cop, Bad Cop is pretty cheesy...intentionally so.  But at least it made money at the box office.

March 18, 2020 8:41 pm  #9

During the offseason, they've traditionally aired Canadian features during the HNIC slots. I guess this is one way to brand it.