sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 12, 2020 7:29 pm  #31

Re: Coronavirus Affecting TV Shows & Pro Sports

NBC/Universal announced this afternoon that they would be cancelling their live Upfront event scheduled for May 11th due to the COVID 19 outbreak.

Instead, NBC/Universal will be mounting a live / streamed offering featuring talent from many of the NBC and Universal platforms. In addition, they will showcase highlights from new program offerings, and returning series.

I was also curious about how NBC will handle SNL, as it relies on a live studio audience. (Actually two audiences, SNL has a studio audience for the full dress rehearsal at 8pm and this show is recorded for air back-up. Then they load out and bring in a new audience for the live telecast at 11:30pm). 

Checking their schedule for this weekend, it shows that they are actually on a 2 week break, and will return live on March 28th...  so they have some time to see how this plays out.

March 12, 2020 10:53 pm  #32

grilled.cheese wrote:

I hope radio doesn't get postponed.  We need guidance in these dark days and only radio can save us. 

We could bring back Candlelight and Wine every evening to relax! Listen to some soft soothing sounds!

March 12, 2020 11:58 pm  #33

I just watched the monologues of Colbert and Fallon, both without a studio audience. It was one of the most painful things I've seen on TV in years. Neither was funny and neither had any life in them. I never realized what a difference a live responsive studio audience makes.

I'm not a huge fan of either one of them, but this was just brutal. Better they should go into reruns than keep trying this.

March 13, 2020 12:26 am  #34

Saul wrote:

https://news.ontario.ca/opo/en/2020/03/title.html?fbclid=IwAR2OIa-FReIZ642SG_YBhgR8D3chnvfvoXKHtt46RL_yx4OXpdMzIpFMQGU

SO WHAT'S NEXT? Shut down every social gathering? Shut down every workplace? Shut down the economy? Everyone stay home for the next month?

Would you have the same sarcastic attitude towards the Governor of Washington State because he ordered the closing of all public schools in Seattle? Or is it because this decision was made by Doug Ford.

March 13, 2020 12:49 am  #35

The PGA is the latest to suspend play in their next three tournaments up to April 5th. Interesting that the next tournament after April 5th is the Masters. CBS would still make boatloads of cash whether "patrons" were in attendance or if they were forced to watch the telecast at home.

March 13, 2020 9:20 am  #36

Glen Warren wrote:

NBC/Universal announced this afternoon that they would be cancelling their live Upfront event scheduled for May 11th due to the COVID 19 outbreak.

Instead, NBC/Universal will be mounting a live / streamed offering featuring talent from many of the NBC and Universal platforms. In addition, they will showcase highlights from new program offerings, and returning series.

I was also curious about how NBC will handle SNL, as it relies on a live studio audience. (Actually two audiences, SNL has a studio audience for the full dress rehearsal at 8pm and this show is recorded for air back-up. Then they load out and bring in a new audience for the live telecast at 11:30pm). 

Checking their schedule for this weekend, it shows that they are actually on a 2 week break, and will return live on March 28th...  so they have some time to see how this plays out.

As expected,  series production is also going to be affected.  Some series will be short a few episodes this season.

https://tvline.com/feature/cancelled-tv-shows-list-coronavirus-production-delays-1171349/

March 13, 2020 9:25 am  #37

Not a financial crisis but a health crisis that is having severe financial impact and hopefully things will bounce back soon.

What amazes me about  the entire crisis is how many misstatements and lies that Donald Trump has told about the situation.

On Feb 26 he said this:

“Because of all we’ve done, the risk to the American people remains very low. … When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero. That’s a pretty good job we’ve done."

Regarding the lies and misstatements there's video of all of them and they are too numerous to outline. Just yesterday he said regarding the testing that we have it well under control and anyone that wants a test can get one. Just as he was saying that Dr. Anthony Fauci, the immunologist who is part of Trump's own task force on the issue, was testifying to congress that the testing in the US had been a "fail"

There was the rather strange address he gave to the country on Wednesday night where his demeanor was odd and he seemed nervous. The stock markets futures started to sink by the minute as he was speaking. Yesterday they continued the massive slide. Was a teleprompter speech during which he got three key things wrong and the White house had to put out clarifications withing minutes of the speech. I don't remember a time where a US leader has given such an important address on teleprompter which would require immediate clarification.

Not sure what his base thinks of his behavior. I'm sure they will come up with some justification. Maybe call it fake news and you did not really see what you saw or he that speaks just like us. Ignorant misstatements should not be acceptable when lives are at stake.

No Trump obviously did not cause the virus but he needs to acknowledge things truthfully and come up with a response closer to South Korea where the virus is already in decline.  Hopefully that will remain the case but we don't know for sure.

Better to have all the closings out of an abundance of caution but I think the markets may react better when there is a more rational fact based response.

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/

March 13, 2020 9:46 am  #38

mace wrote:

Saul wrote:

https://news.ontario.ca/opo/en/2020/03/title.html?fbclid=IwAR2OIa-FReIZ642SG_YBhgR8D3chnvfvoXKHtt46RL_yx4OXpdMzIpFMQGU

SO WHAT'S NEXT? Shut down every social gathering? Shut down every workplace? Shut down the economy? Everyone stay home for the next month?

Would you have the same sarcastic attitude towards the Governor of Washington State because he ordered the closing of all public schools in Seattle? Or is it because this decision was made by Doug Ford.

It's more serious right now in Washington State - there have been deaths. I actually didn't know about Wash State schools, and even so have mixed feelings about closing schools there. Separately, are you assuming sarcastically that my comment was prompted by dislike of Ford, or simply wondering if it might have possibly been? That strikes me as a rather socially awkward thing to ask or say, arguably bordering on rude, but I'll answer nevertheless: I have no idea if the Governor of Wash State is a Republican or Democrat, and my opinion about this doesn't adhere to the political spectrum.

March 13, 2020 10:39 am  #39

mace wrote:

The PGA is the latest to suspend play in their next three tournaments up to April 5th. Interesting that the next tournament after April 5th is the Masters. CBS would still make boatloads of cash whether "patrons" were in attendance or if they were forced to watch the telecast at home.

I just heard on NT1010 that Augusta National has "postponed" the Masters golf Tournament.

March 13, 2020 10:52 am  #40

Saul wrote:

mace wrote:

Saul wrote:

It's more serious right now in Washington State - there have been deaths. I actually didn't know about Wash State schools, and even so have mixed feelings about closing schools there. Separately, are you assuming sarcastically that my comment was prompted by dislike of Ford, or simply wondering if it might have possibly been? That strikes me as a rather socially awkward thing to ask or say, arguably bordering on rude, but I'll answer nevertheless: I have no idea if the Governor of Wash State is a Republican or Democrat, and my opinion about this doesn't adhere to the political spectrum.

I was unaware that there have been 10 deaths in the state of Washington from the Coronavirus. For the record, their Governor, Jay Inslee, is a Democrat.

March 13, 2020 12:24 pm  #41

mace wrote:

I was unaware that there have been 10 deaths in the state of Washington from the Coronavirus. For the record, their Governor, Jay Inslee, is a Democrat.

OK, now we each know these two facts about Washington State, as now does anybody else reading this. I don't think Coronavirus cares much about politics, and this place is about radio. I'll respond to political attacks - or what I perceive as such. But, honestly, this place is much better without going there. I'm here because the medium fascinates me, and sometimes political expression will and perhaps even should come into play. But even though I may stray and perhaps even cling a bit to one side or the other, I do think stupidity and nastiness can be found in all persuasions. More to the point, though - I'd rather think of people here at SOWNY as knowledgeable about or interested in radio than as die-hard political partisans. Besides, we all probably cancel out each others' votes...

March 13, 2020 3:46 pm  #42

A national emergency has been declared in the US. Thank goodness. Not to be alarmist but acknowledge reality to mitigate the spread.

Cool Airchecks and More:

March 13, 2020 4:49 pm  #43

I just heard CFRB's new branding slogan in a promo. And no, I'm not making this up.

"Your self-isolation station."

Sheesh!

March 15, 2020 9:17 pm  #44

CFRB hosts were talking earlier this week about having equipment installed in their homes that would ensure they could still do their shows even if they - or someone else near them - catches the virus and they have to go into a two-week isolation. The show must go on, even if it's not in the studio. 

I wonder if Corus is doing the same thing.

March 16, 2020 12:37 am  #45

Radiowiz wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

what the hell are they going to have to talk about two or three weeks (or worse months) from now?

The same way sports radio made money during a strike or a lock out maybe...(?)

By paying extra attention to the other leagues that aren't on strike or locked out?  Kind of hard when they're ALL on hiatus.

March 16, 2020 10:32 am  #46

One of the big objections to "online courses" is that not all students have the ability to see the programs over the web. Perhaps this solution from the Czech government could be adopted here. TVO could be used to send televised lessons to certain grades. Most everyone has a TV and the ability to receive the channel. 

That could take some of the heat off until schools are back in business. Either way, it's an interesting idea and if this goes on for a lot longer, maybe worth considering.

And besides, it would be worth it just to hear a mother say, "Hey Bobby, stop doing your homework and come over here and watch TV!"

Czech TV To Air Virtual Classroom Shows Until Schools Reopen

March 16, 2020 10:36 am  #47

Some interesting ideas here to help radio stations get through this mess.

10 Commandments of Coronavirus Coverage

March 16, 2020 5:46 pm  #48

Now this is interesting....An Unprecedented DecisionAccording to The Hollywood Reporter, NBCUniversal is taking the unprecedented step of making “its current movies from the Universal Pictures stable — including the upcoming event family movie Trolls World Tour — will be made available on-demand at the same time they hit those theaters that remain open during the coronavirus pandemic.” Starting as early as Friday, March 20, 2020, theatrical films including Universal’s The Hunt and The Invisible Man and Focus Features’ Emma. will be available to stream on a variety of on demand platforms. (Trolls World Tour will hit theaters and on demand on April 10, 2020.) The movies will be available for “a 48-hour rental period at a suggested retail price of $19.99 in the U.S. and the price equivalent in international markets.”

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/nbcuniversal-breaks-theatrical-window-will-make-movies-available-demand-immediately-1284844?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&__twitter_impression=true

March 16, 2020 9:26 pm  #49

It becomes even more interesting now that Cineplex has decided to close all 165 of its theatres across the country until at least April 2nd.

Cineplex Closure Statement

March 17, 2020 10:31 am  #50

Ben Ennis on the Fan 590 is "broadcasting from my bedroom," as he put it on his show Tuesday morning. 

The station also announced it will be re-broadcasting select "classic" Blue Jays games starting at 7 PM. Perhaps we'll hear Tom & Jerry again.

March 17, 2020 11:33 am  #51

I didn't think I'd ever hear this, but Amazon.com/.ca says it will stop shipping non-priority items until at least April 5th. So if you've ordered something on the service that doesn't fall into those narrow categories you may have to wait awhile for delivery.

The restriction comes only from items shipped through Amazon, and vendors who want to try to get products to consumers without the company's help will still be able to do it - but it will make it much more expensive and much more difficult. 

Ironic, considering how many people are now forced to be home and turning to shopping online.

Among the priority items:

• Baby Products
  • Health & Household
  • Beauty & Personal Care (including personal care appliances)
  • Grocery
  • Industrial & Scientific
  • Pet Supplies

Amazon suspends non-essential shipments amid COVID-19 crisis

March 18, 2020 10:16 am  #52

It's hard to imagine there's any sentient adult in the world who doesn't know about the coronavirus and its effects on life as we used to know it.

But it turns out there is. 

By sheer coincidence, there's a group of contestants on the German version of "Big Brother" who have been stuck away from the world since Feb. 6th - seems like a century ago - and the rules of the show state they're not allowed any contact with the outside world, as cameras roll on their every movement. As a result, they've not only been shielded from the virus but news of how much the illness has spread. 

Now the producers of the show have decided to let them in on what's going on outside. Which is an interesting tactic, considering the point of the game is not to get voted out of the "house." And now it appears, in their hermetically sealed bunker, they have more reason than ever to not want to leave for the real world.

Another strange story in a very strange time. 

German ‘Big Brother’ Contestants to Learn of Coronavirus Crisis Almost Two Months Late  

March 18, 2020 10:20 am  #53

This site has the world wide updates for the virus including country by country. The numbers can't be 100 % correct for obvious reasons including the fact that testing is lagging. The site is updated regularly and is more up to date than the media reports which do eventually catch up:

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

Cool Airchecks and More:

March 18, 2020 10:37 am  #54

All the talent doing their shows from home on CFRB have sounded pretty good, considering so many odd remote locations.

But I believe it's Tiffany Hensby who has also been doing her newscasts for the station from her residence and boy, can you tell. The sound is hollow and has echoes, likely because of the room where they set up her equipment. It's very noticeable and I'm actually amazed that so far, it's the only one where you can really tell she's not on site. Not sure if they can fix it but it definitely doesn't sound like a radio studio, whereas the others mostly do.

The only other glitch I've heard this week? On the first day of his remote broadcast, Jim Richards came on during his intro, possibly not knowing his mic was live and said "Guys, I'm getting a five second delay in my headphones. Can you fix it?" I'm assuming they did, because the show went on without a hitch from that point.

March 18, 2020 10:58 am  #55

RadioActive wrote:

All the talent doing their shows from home on CFRB have sounded pretty good, considering so many odd remote locations.

But I believe it's Tiffany Hensby who has also been doing her newscasts for the station from her residence and boy, can you tell. The sound is hollow and has echoes, likely because of the room where they set up her equipment. It's very noticeable and I'm actually amazed that so far, it's the only one where you can really tell she's not on site. Not sure if they can fix it but it definitely doesn't sound like a radio studio, whereas the others mostly do.

I noticed that as well. She sounds a bit echoey. Still quite clear however.

One glitch I heard was Becky Coles dropped off mid-convo with Jerry Agar this morning. They joked that her cat had stepped on the connection.

March 19, 2020 1:13 pm  #56

From the Radio Memes page on Facebook, closer to the truth than you can imagine:

March 19, 2020 1:55 pm  #57

I'm just happy to see that good ol' analog consoles were featured in that post.

Cheers,
Jody Thornton

March 19, 2020 2:57 pm  #58

Nice to see that the two audio boards shown were both manufactured here in Toronto. The top board looks like a McCurdy and the bottom definitely is WBS by Ward-Beck.  Two great Canadian companies that once dominated the radio and TV market all over North America with the best audio consoles in their day.  Some are still used to this day.

March 19, 2020 5:54 pm  #59

I worked on a Ward-Beck board on my first full time radio job at CKEY Toronto. It was a great piece of equipment and it never gave us a second of trouble. Been a long time since I thought about the name. 

March 19, 2020 7:19 pm  #60

Interesting. If you can't find a solution to make the shows during the current crisis, at least let the shows be a solution in the current crisis. 

TV Medical Dramas Donate Their Medical Supplies to Hospitals in Need During Coronavirus Pandemic 

And despite streaming, which I'm sure is also doing well, I kind of expected this might happen. 

TV Ratings Climb As People Rediscover Live Linear Viewing Amid Coronavirus-Imposed Stay At Home