sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 6, 2020 6:45 pm  #1

What the Rob Ford movie Run This Town gets right / Wrong

A few insights from some of those involved in the Rob Ford saga as it unfolded.      At least it didn't go "straight to DVD" but I'm not impatient to see it.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/entertainment/run-this-town-rob-ford-movie-1.5486112#vf-all_threads-2854100020087

March 6, 2020 7:13 pm  #2

Re: What the Rob Ford movie Run This Town gets right / Wrong

Borrowing a quote from Hunter Thompson's seminal remembrance of Richard Nixon, "He was scum."

March 6, 2020 7:58 pm  #3

Chrisphen wrote:

Borrowing a quote from Hunter Thompson's seminal remembrance of Richard Nixon, "He was scum."

Lots of class Chrisphen.  Unless you knew him personally, you have no idea what he was.

March 7, 2020 9:26 pm  #4

paterson1 wrote:

Lots of class Chrisphen.  Unless you knew him personally, you have no idea what he was.

Sadly, no. Please, for the interests of this audience, let us know how he wasn't scum. We are curious.

March 7, 2020 10:21 pm  #5

Chrisphen wrote:

paterson1 wrote:

Sadly, no. Please, for the interests of this audience, let us know how he wasn't scum. We are curious.

Interesting how you feel you speak for "the audience."  We are curious?   Please re read my original response.
No other explanation is needed.

Last edited by paterson1 (March 7, 2020 10:23 pm)

March 7, 2020 10:42 pm  #6

paterson1 wrote:

Chrisphen wrote:

paterson1 wrote:

Interesting how you feel you speak for "the audience."  We are curious?   Please re read my original response.
No other explanation is needed.

I think it's safe to say the man was deeply complicated, had loads of personal issues, had people close to him who abused him for their own ends. He, himself, also abused the system, and was passionate about matters at hand. In many of these respects, he was no different than a lot of politicians of all stripes, though he did succeed in some respects at portraying himself, falsely I think, as mayor of "the people". Certainly, he had a deeply polarizing influence. A classic populist. Very much like Trump. And definitely a worthy subject and milieu for a film. I haven't yet seen it, so no opinion to venture on that, though I did pay close attention to Kevin Donovan's review in the Star the other day.

March 7, 2020 11:03 pm  #7

I'll say this for sure.  When Rob was Mayor he kept my taxes down.  Since Tory has been in power they have gone up every year.  So I'll say thanks Rob for keeping our taxes down at a decent rate.

Last edited by AMFM (March 7, 2020 11:04 pm)

March 8, 2020 12:16 am  #8

AMFM wrote:

I'll say this for sure.  When Rob was Mayor he kept my taxes down.  Since Tory has been in power they have gone up every year.  So I'll say thanks Rob for keeping our taxes down at a decent rate.

Actually, I think I get a damn good deal for my taxes and some extra fees: fire protection, police service, streets cleared and maintained, infrastructure maintained, library system, schools, hydro service, my garbage disappears weekly, clean water into my home, neighbourhood parks, and so on. 

I don't have kids but benefit many ways indirectly from schools, just as I benefit from a fire service even though I haven't needed to save my own home. I'm think the ambulance attendants who saved my sorry ass when I had a heart attack a few years ago are also municipally paid. Regardless, I am glad my taxes pay them.

The system isn't perfect. But services I have some issues with, others see differently and don't have issues with. There are some services I don't use directly. Like some social services. But others need them and benefit and don't necessarily benefit from what benefits me.

March 8, 2020 6:50 am  #9

Saul, You mentioned that your garbage is picked up weekly. You must live west of Yonge St. where garbage pickup was privatized by Mr. Ford. No more strikes by petulant, whiney city workers whose labour contracts always seemed to end as the warm summer months began.

March 8, 2020 10:17 am  #10

My green bin is picked up weekly, recycling and non-greenbin waste every two weeks. I'm perfectly OK with that. I'm grateful for the workers who do this relatively unpleasant work, and I'm grateful when workers can organize for better pay and working conditions. Looking at the gig economy and other low-wage jobs where people who work long hours in challenging situations either can't afford to live in Toronto or can barely afford to, I wish more petulance and whininess.

March 8, 2020 10:22 am  #11

AMFM wrote:

That's not a fair way to look at it. Tory had to fix the things taxes ended up neglecting.
Remember, eventually we all have to pay the piper.

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

March 8, 2020 10:43 am  #12

Chrisphen wrote:

paterson1 wrote:

I seriously doubt that you are curious considering the extremely incurious and completely false comment you began the thread with.

I knew Rob Ford personally and can attest that he was a very kind man who would give anyone the shirt off his back. He was an absolute pleasure to be with and I always enjoyed his company as did the others around him. Your words belie your ignorance and bias and say nothing that sticks to Rob Ford.

March 8, 2020 10:54 am  #13

6079 Smith W wrote:

Chrisphen wrote:

paterson1 wrote:

I seriously doubt that you are curious considering the extremely incurious and completely false comment you began the thread with.

I knew Rob Ford personally and can attest that he was a very kind man who would give anyone the shirt off his back. He was an absolute pleasure to be with and I always enjoyed his company as did the others around him. Your words belie your ignorance and bias and say nothing that sticks to Rob Ford.

OK, so you're a friend or acquaintance and have no bias? At the very least, we have a case of bias vs bias. Maybe it's time to get back to the intent of the thread ... the movie ...

Last edited by Saul (March 8, 2020 10:55 am)

March 8, 2020 2:36 pm  #14

Why would someone's opinion who knew Rob Ford, like 6079 Smith W automatically be biased?  Smith W could have just as easily confirmed the original comments by Chrisphen but didn't.  So it is not a case of bias vs bias at all.  It is one individual who knew the mayor personally, and responding to another person's comments which were not based on any personal knowledge or dealings with the mayor. The original poorly thought out post seems to be only based on the individuals dislike for the late mayor.

March 8, 2020 2:43 pm  #15

paterson1 wrote:

Why would someone's opinion who knew Rob Ford, like 6079 Smith W automatically be biased?  Smith W could have just as easily confirmed the original comments by Chrisphen but didn't.  So it is not a case of bias vs bias at all.  It is one individual who knew the mayor personally, and responding to another person's comments which were not based on any personal knowledge or dealings with the mayor. The original poorly thought out post seems to be only based on the individuals dislike for the late mayor.

Oh and the movie?  I may go see it, but judging by the reviews I have read, it seems to be more about the reporters  and media relations with the mayor rather than Rob Ford.  So media types will likely find the movie interesting, but the general public, not so sure.  Someday, someone will make The Rob Ford Story and it will be an interesting, complex and likely at times a funny and sad movie.

March 9, 2020 6:50 pm  #16

I recommend this podcast series for those wanting to reacquaint themselves with the history of the Rob Ford Era. It's reasonable.

paterson1 wrote:

It is one individual who knew the mayor personally, and responding to another person's comments which were not based on any personal knowledge or dealings with the mayor. The original poorly thought out post seems to be only based on the individuals dislike for the late mayor.

He sniffed flowers, petted pussy and kissed baby. Doesn't mean he's Great.

March 9, 2020 7:48 pm  #17

paterson1 wrote:

That's a reasonable observation re bias. My comment was prompted in part by a separate memory - of the time I was thick in researching an arms dealer who, evidence suggested, was dealing with some pretty nasty stuff to some pretty unsavoury entities (governments in some cases, rebel factions in others). By a complete fluke, I happened to be inside a courtroom on an utterly unrelated matter and the arms dealer's name came up as involved in something completely unrelated to the arms business that by happenstance shed some unexpected light on said dealer. A year or two later I related the coincidence to a business person I know very well and trust. Further coincidence - that individual said he knew the dealer (not well, not friends, but knew him) through a non arms-related connection. "He's a really nice guy." The comment certainly made me rethink notions about people who furnish land mines, cluster bombs, missiles and other really destructive weapons to feuding factions. In this case I'll defer to the wisdom of someone who I think really hits the nail on the head ... her way of expressing that sentiment always came with a caveat: "He seems like a really nice guy..."