sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum


You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 24, 2019 1:36 pm  #1


Matt Galloway announced as new host of The Current

 

October 24, 2019 1:45 pm  #2


Re: Matt Galloway announced as new host of The Current

Moore has been auditioning for his spot for years.

 

October 24, 2019 2:09 pm  #3


Re: Matt Galloway announced as new host of The Current

It's interesting because I've heard Andy Barrie auditioned more than once; before getting the show and doing an excellent job.

 

October 24, 2019 2:14 pm  #4


Re: Matt Galloway announced as new host of The Current

I still miss Joe Cote.
 

 

October 24, 2019 2:17 pm  #5


Re: Matt Galloway announced as new host of The Current

John D wrote:

I still miss Joe Cote.
 

What about Matt Maychack?

I went to Joe Côté's final show at the studio on Parliament Street. Jill Dempsey was there, and she is still there, or at least still reads the news on Metro Morning.

Last edited by 6079 Smith W (October 24, 2019 2:19 pm)

 

October 24, 2019 6:04 pm  #6


Re: Matt Galloway announced as new host of The Current

SteveYYZ wrote:

Moore has been auditioning for his spot for years.

And he’d be a perfect fit.....and would be freed from what he refers to as “the racetrack” - the incessant stream of commercials that private broadcasters need to survive.
Also, because he handles long-form interviews extremely well, he’d be able to branch out.
But I wouldn’t bet on it: Bell Media would be crazy to let him go.

 

October 24, 2019 10:43 pm  #7


Re: Matt Galloway announced as new host of The Current

Not unheard of though. Andy Barrie came from CFRB and moved successfully to CBC Metro Morning. It was with Andy that Metro Morning became one of the most popular morning programs in Toronto.

Believe it or not, I am not sure that CBC would pay quite as well as many of the private stations for morning radio in Toronto. I agree John Moore would be a perfect replacement for Matt Galloway, and Newstalk 1010 would definitely see a chunk of their audience move with him.

Last edited by paterson1 (October 24, 2019 10:48 pm)

 

October 25, 2019 8:55 am  #8


Re: Matt Galloway announced as new host of The Current

Going waaaaaay back, does anyone remember the show that Metro Morning replaced in 1972? "Toast & Jamboree" with Bruce Smith? Walter Bowles did the news. Not sure if it ran on CJBC or CBL but it goes back as far as 1947.  I wonder if Smith was any competition for Wally Crouter.

 

October 25, 2019 9:10 am  #9


Re: Matt Galloway announced as new host of The Current

Not sure what year this was, but here's another CBC Radio morning incarnation. 

https://i.ibb.co/TL7GQ4P/CBC-Radio-Morning-Ad.jpg

 

October 25, 2019 2:47 pm  #10


Re: Matt Galloway announced as new host of The Current

mace wrote:

Going waaaaaay back, does anyone remember the show that Metro Morning replaced in 1972? "Toast & Jamboree" with Bruce Smith? Walter Bowles did the news. Not sure if it ran on CJBC or CBL but it goes back as far as 1947.  I wonder if Smith was any competition for Wally Crouter.

Actually, Toast & Jamboree aired until 1971. What replaced it was "I'm Here Till 9" with none other than Alex Trebek! Apparently, it didn't go over well in the ratings or critics and CBC decided to axe Trebek at the end of 1972, In April 1973 a new morning show a harder news format called "Tomorrow is Here" with Bruce Rogers - the show was renamed "Metro Morning" within the year.

[url=https://torontoist.com/2015/07/vintage-toronto-ads-alex-trebek/]https://torontoist.com/2015/07/vintage-toronto-ads-alex-trebek/

https://torontoist.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/20150715trebek2.jpg
[/url]

 

 

October 27, 2019 10:14 am  #11


Re: Matt Galloway announced as new host of The Current

except for being white and male
doesnt stand a chance

Jay Baxter wrote:

SteveYYZ wrote:

Moore has been auditioning for his spot for years.

And he’d be a perfect fit.....and would be freed from what he refers to as “the racetrack” - the incessant stream of commercials that private broadcasters need to survive.
Also, because he handles long-form interviews extremely well, he’d be able to branch out.
But I wouldn’t bet on it: Bell Media would be crazy to let him go.

 

 

December 3, 2019 10:23 pm  #12


Re: Matt Galloway announced as new host of The Current

Worth noting this is Matt Galloway's final week as host of Radio 1's Metro Morning. His last show is Friday.

Have they named his replacement yet?

 

December 4, 2019 2:02 am  #13


Re: Matt Galloway announced as new host of The Current

RadioActive wrote:

Worth noting this is Matt Galloway's final week as host of Radio 1's Metro Morning. His last show is Friday.

Have they named his replacement yet?

There's nothing fresh on Google RA. If someone knows, they're keeping it under wraps for now. Maybe the mother ship'll give a couple of people a few weeks each on-air doing Metro Morning, to see who's the best fit.

I've always enjoyed Jill Dempsey's voice and personality, it would be great to give the gig to a woman, or do the powers that be still hold on to the notion that a woman makes a good supporting player, but can't carry a show?

I'm looking forward to hearing Matt Galloway on the Current, and hearing him interview people and discuss subjects now that he'll have more time.

Last edited by betaylored (December 4, 2019 2:07 am)