sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 22, 2019 8:48 am  #1

Who in your opinion won the election night media coverage?

I was surprised City TV had regular programming... I watched a bit of CP24 to get local results but CBC was my go to choice...I liked the coverage, however they had so many panelists...it was a bit of overkill...

But what media coverage did you like and why?

Chime away and I promise no more posts about elections for 3 years at least (Provincially and 4 Federally)...

Cheers!

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

October 22, 2019 9:33 am  #2

Re: Who in your opinion won the election night media coverage?

Россия-1

Last edited by Saul (October 22, 2019 9:33 am)

October 22, 2019 10:04 am  #3

grilled.cheese wrote:

Twitter

I think the question should have read "credible" media overage.   Twitter is only as good as the people you follow.   Sadly the crap outweighs the credibility on there most times.  

October 22, 2019 10:28 am  #4

The only individual local station that had coverage was CHCH in Hamilton and they went to air at 8pm until 11:30.

I liked CTV's coverage although they got a little balled up with some of the technology. They had over 65 live remotes last night. Good to see Lloyd again and Lisa did a good job. Overall CTV's coverage was well done and they had excellent panelists in my opinion.

CBC had the best set and best tech with the cool animated graphics and I liked the way that they had the leaders image walk onto the set when they won their ridings. Rosie talks and laughs too much and shouldn't interrupt as much as she does. CBC had a bit of humour with Mark Critch of 22 minutes and he was pretty good. CBC panelists overall were strong.

Didn't watch any of Global's coverage, or City TV.  CP 24 was good, at least they tried somewhat to bring back the feel of the original City TV with the block party in the parking lot, which did attract people later in the evening.  Not as festive and party like though as the CHUM/Moses era from years ago. CP 24 coverage was the most relaxed and conversational.

October 22, 2019 10:45 am  #5

Every election, I'll wander a bit up & down the dial. 

But by far, i spend the lion's share of time on CBC.

October 22, 2019 12:08 pm  #6

I went for CTV as they had "real people" involved who actually had an interesting POV.I'm tired of the constant comm people viewpoint, they are always schilling for some group.

October 22, 2019 12:47 pm  #7

I know that Fox News won't win any awards. Just went to their website and I couldn't find anything about our election, even in the international tab.section.

On their homepage one of their lead stories is about Scientists being stunned to catch killer monkeys eating huge rats.

Kind of says a lot right there...  

October 22, 2019 5:40 pm  #8

paterson1 wrote:

I know that Fox News won't win any awards. Just went to their website and I couldn't find anything about our election, even in the international tab.section.

On their homepage one of their lead stories is about Scientists being stunned to catch killer monkeys eating huge rats.

Kind of says a lot right there...  

Just underlines the fact that to them Canada is just what comes out of a monkey's butt. Wasn't there even a half-hearted congratulatory tweet from Trump to Trudeau?

October 22, 2019 5:43 pm  #9

CTV.ca  is claiming ratings victory for last evenings election coverage. Average audience was 1.9 million viewers on CTV, CTV News Channel and BNN Bloomberg. CBC's main network had an average of 1.1 million viewers, it's not clear if this includes CBC News Network. CTV's audience peaked at 2.9 million viewers right after the Liberal minority was declared around 10:11pm.  Global's audience average was 470,000 and CP 24 peaked with 547,000 viewers just after 10:30 pm. CTV claims that over 10.6 million viewers watched some of their coverage, and the networks various digital platforms had more than double the usual daily traffic. 

October 22, 2019 6:02 pm  #10

Who cares what media outside the country broadcasts or cares about us?

October 22, 2019 6:09 pm  #11

Was out of the country...Global and CTV make you sign in with a cable account, CBC was geo-blocked, so CPAC it was. 

Last edited by RadioAaron (October 22, 2019 6:09 pm)

October 22, 2019 6:10 pm  #12

Charlie wrote:

grilled.cheese wrote:

Twitter

Anybody who relies on Twitter for news is ill-informed, subject to bias, spin, and drunken (and or) stoned opinions.  No wonder this country is screwed.

Or, they could, y'know, follow reputable news sources and get updates faster than about anywhere else. 

October 22, 2019 6:52 pm  #13

I thought that Lisa Laflamme did a very good job, handling the panel(s). We started watching CBC and Rosemary Barton didn't seem to be handling the panel well.  Too many people talking over each other. We also noticed that in the on-screen graphical results (early in the evening), the CBC had apparently omitted "INC" - incumbent, so there was no way of knowing who was the incumbent sitting MP.  It was clearly visible on the CTV graphics.  I also thought that CTV did a better job of getting in and out of candidates' concession or victory speeches later in the evening, to go to another venue or a pending final result.   As someone else noted, 85 year old Lloyd was in good form, and it was great to see him on the air again.  He did not pontificate, but provided valuable insight regarding previous minority gov'ts.   I'm not a great fan of Evan Solomon, but I thought he did a good job.  There was a female commentator from QC, Antonella (did not see her last name).  She provided excellent context on the development results/story out of QC involving the BQ.   I believe that she is affiliated with one of the universities in Montreal.  She's very media savvy and a great resource.   Rona Ambrose did not appear to be overly. partisan, I thought she provided great (candid) commentary on "what went wrong" with the PC's campaign and when "asked" always responded with concise commentary.  

October 22, 2019 8:20 pm  #14

kevjo wrote:

Wasn't there even a half-hearted congratulatory tweet from Trump to Trudeau?

He did issue one,  although it probably was ignored among the dozens he sends each day.

Last edited by Media Observer (October 22, 2019 8:25 pm)

October 22, 2019 9:45 pm  #15

TheConsultant wrote:

Who cares what media outside the country broadcasts or cares about us?

More interested what they say and how it was covered rather than caring. I always enjoy how other media outside the country reports on us. Some of my US friends sometimes ask me how our media is reporting on their national politics. They assumed that it was all Trump all the time on CTV,  CBC and print. But of course it isn't, and becoming less and less as time goes on.

Thought it was kind of telling that Fox didn't seem to have anything about our election, at least on their website.  CNBC did a nice piece today naturally more from a business point of view. And as I mentioned on another post,  "the beebs" had extensive coverage on air and on their website.  I have noticed that they tend to cover politics within the Commonwealth countries a fair bit, and BBC is always very factual and balanced in their reporting. 

October 23, 2019 1:02 am  #16

CTV News says its election night coverage was the most-watched in Canada

https://mobilesyrup.com/2019/10/22/bell-ctv-news-federal-election-coverage/

Last edited by cash (October 23, 2019 1:05 am)

October 23, 2019 8:27 am  #17

One of the things I noticed was the statement that CTV is available through cable, the web, and Android, IOS and Apple TV apps. No mention of OTA. Of course, Bell doesn't want to encourage cordcutting.

October 23, 2019 9:34 am  #18

Was there any good local radio coverage or did they all run network stuff?

October 24, 2019 12:00 am  #19

RadioAaron wrote:

Was out of the country...Global and CTV make you sign in with a cable account, CBC was geo-blocked, so CPAC it was. 

Did you try CTV and CBC on YouTube?

November 7, 2019 9:32 am  #20

Just looking at the Numeris television ratings for October 21-27/19, looks like CBC actually won the ratings race for the Federal Election.

According to Numeris CBC was sitting at 2,118,000 on election night, vs CTV with 1,670,000. In fact the CBC election coverage was the number #1 "show" that week.

I was wondering a little about the CTV press release claiming that they were the most popular coverage.    It included the main CTV network, CTV News Channel and BNN Bloomberg for their total viewership.  When they mentioned CBC, it only referred to the main network and no mention of CBC News Network.

Regardless, both networks did do a great job of the election a few weeks back. Looks like Global's coverage didn't make the top 30.

November 7, 2019 11:28 am  #21

paterson1 wrote:

I was wondering a little about the CTV press release claiming that they were the most popular coverage..

EVERY station claims it's "#1". Take radio, for instance: this has long been a hook. "XXXX, the number one xxx station on the planet" is the usual wordage.  It's verbal rhetoric.

November 7, 2019 3:03 pm  #22

TheConsultant wrote:

paterson1 wrote:

I was wondering a little about the CTV press release claiming that they were the most popular coverage..

EVERY station claims it's "#1". Take radio, for instance: this has long been a hook. "XXXX, the number one xxx station on the planet" is the usual wordage.  It's verbal rhetoric.

Little more than verbal rhetoric when Numeris is showing that CBC has the numbers to prove they won the night over CTV with the largest audience. Obviously Numeris also included the numbers from CBC News Network which the CTV press release didn't do. 

November 8, 2019 10:20 am  #23

So if you add CBC + CBC News Network. Then add CTV + CTV News Channel you are now comparing apples to apples. Now who wins. Not that I care. Just curious.

November 8, 2019 3:17 pm  #24

Numeris is showing CBC News Special on election night as the number one program that week (Oct 21-27/19) with 2,118,000 viewers average from 9pm to 10:30pm. I would think this was including CBC News Network since the CTV press release said that CBC main network had 1.1 million viewers.

CTV had 1,640,000 viewers but according to the press release this included the main network, CTV News Channel and BNN Bloomberg which also picked up the CTV feed.

CBC News also showed up as the #19 and #22 most popular program on election night as well.  So over the whole evening 7pm to 2am CTV likely had a larger average, but from 9pm until 10:30pm (they announced the minority government around 10:20) CBC had the most viewers.