sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 1, 2019 5:16 pm  #1

An interesting look at how people get their election news

Pete Toms writes in the Ottawa Citizen how Millennials get their election news versus us over 45 (somethings) get our election news.

As you can imagine, the younguns are going to social media and us older farts are using traditional media...not to mention getting the candidates brochures in the mail.

I was getting emails and texts from my local Conservative candidate, I unsubscribed and blocked both approaches.

But, this election the candidates and parties are using all media platforms strategically.

I tend to agree with Pete Toms as he suggests he's a dinosaur and tends to use traditional media...I still like the CBC scrums, at issue panels and Power and Politics...I find for me, that, that is the more credible election news media I can get. 

Here is more on this in the Ottawa Citizen's article published today...

https://ottawacitizen.com/opinion/columnists/toms-just-where-are-people-getting-their-election-news-in-social-media-age

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

October 1, 2019 6:31 pm  #2

Re: An interesting look at how people get their election news

I like when they're interviewed intelligently by journalists who take at least a relatively objective approach and catch the gaps and cracks in their answers and look for logic and unscripted responses. Opinions, unchecked, do little for me, even when I agree with them. Nor do superficial announcements. A fair and well-reasoned rough ride.

October 1, 2019 8:09 pm  #3

Muffaraw Joe wrote:

the younguns are going to social media

And therein lies the problem. I have no objection to getting news off the Internet - I do it a lot myself.

But whatever you think of the "mainstream media," at least they're forced to check their facts and publish verifiable articles at the threat of legal action. Depending on the site, you can't always say that about social media. Lots of spin, lots of non-facts and opinion passed off as reality.

You wonder how well informed those who depend totally on that sort of media really are. It's kind of worrisome that there aren't always journalistic standards to be met. (And I'm more than willing to admit this site is also part of social media and posts here sometimes touted as factual turn out to be nothing more than rumours, opinions or half truths.) 

October 2, 2019 7:39 am  #4

RadioActive wrote:

Muffaraw Joe wrote:

the younguns are going to social media

And therein lies the problem. I have no objection to getting news off the Internet - I do it a lot myself.

But whatever you think of the "mainstream media," at least they're forced to check their facts and publish verifiable articles at the threat of legal action. Depending on the site, you can't always say that about social media. Lots of spin, lots of non-facts and opinion passed off as reality.

You wonder how well informed those who depend totally on that sort of media really are. It's kind of worrisome that there aren't always journalistic standards to be met. (And I'm more than willing to admit this site is also part of social media and posts here sometimes touted as factual turn out to be nothing more than rumours, opinions or half truths.) 

Because the majority of the contributors here currently work in, or are retired from the media, those rumours, opinions and half truths are challenged rather quickly.