sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 9, 2019 11:36 am  #1

New Pending Brampton Station At 1350 AM May Be In Big Trouble

It’s called Radio Humsafar (call letters CIRF) and it’s run into a familiar problem that plagued our old favourite, CKNT: where to put its transmitter.

In a connect-the-dots series of filings previously highlighted on SOWNY, the station, which was licenced to serve the South Asian population in Brampton at 1350 AM, has told the Commission that its plans to place a stick have fallen through not once, but twice. And that’s affecting their ability to sign on and make money, which is apparently now in short supply.

Their solution? Plant the tower in nearby Mississauga at a site that’s now available.

But on Tuesday the CRTC again said no way. Why? It’s not their area of licence and it would shut out some of those who are.

“Although the applicant has restated its commitment to serve Brampton, approval of the present application would result in a 50% decrease in the coverage of its primary target population within its primary service contour, and an 83% decrease within its licensed market of Brampton, as well as a shift of the station’s primary service contour into Mississauga.

“In the Commission’s view, this would result in a significant decrease in the population the station was licensed to serve, and would essentially allow the unlaunched Brampton radio station to enter the Mississauga market without being considered via the Commission’s licensing process.”

Not only that, but similarly formatted CJMR, which IS in nearby Mississauga and close by on the dial at 1320 complained it would receive interference if the newcomer were allowed its new site.

The upshot: the Commission denied the request for the new TX site, all the while reminding the owners they have to be on air at their designated launch time. That’s October 21 (coincidentally, the day of the federal election) which – without a suitable transmitter site – doesn’t leave them much time to get up and running by the deadline.

What happens if they don’t make it? Stay tuned, although perhaps not to 1350…

CRTC Decision

July 9, 2019 12:32 pm  #2

Re: New Pending Brampton Station At 1350 AM May Be In Big Trouble

They have just over 3 months to get a site, build what they need, find a place for their studios, hire a staff (presuming they haven't already done so) etc. That's cutting it close and I wonder if they can actually make it by Oct. 21st or if the CRTC will give them an extension, which is what I expect will happen.

July 9, 2019 1:04 pm  #3

RadioActive wrote:

They have just over 3 months to get a site, build what they need, find a place for their studios, hire a staff (presuming they haven't already done so) etc. That's cutting it close and I wonder if they can actually make it by Oct. 21st or if the CRTC will give them an extension, which is what I expect will happen.

That is an interesting question, since any new site would likely require a CRTC public process and decision, which typically takes six months or more.  If Humsfar can get a new application filed by October, the Commission might give them an extension.  might.

August 26, 2019 12:35 pm  #4

Well, it now looks like they want things both ways. 

The station says it’s finally found a suitable transmitter site just 1.5 km away from its original proposed base, with the new entity located at 100 Rutherford Rd. S. in Brampton. In one filing, it’s asking the CRTC to approve the new chosen space with all due speed because it has an October 2019 deadline to get on the air and it has everything else ready to go.

It says a quick approval of the TX site without all the usual government red tape will help them make that deadline “before October 21.”

Fair enough.

But then in a completely separate filing, it pleads with the CRTC to grant it a one-year launch extension. And guess who it cites as an existing example of being worthy of such extra time? None other than our old friend, CKNT.

The filing notes Sauga 960 got 6 years of extra time after their transmitter location problems. And Humsafar has only been struggling with this for 3 years and 10 months.

“If this extension is not granted, it is highly likely that Radio Humsafar will lose all its sizable investments to date, which will constitute a severe burden on a small broadcaster.”

So if I read this right, they’re prepared to go ahead if the new TX site isn’t delayed, but they’re hedging their bets and asking for more time just in case.

By the way, Radio Humsafar’s company H.Q. and most of its interests appear to be based in Quebec. I wonder if there will even be studios or any live programming done out of Brampton at all?

Humsafar's TX request

Humsafar's deadline extension request

August 26, 2019 4:53 pm  #5

Where will this tower go exactly? On the roof of someone's factory or Truck repair shop?? 
[url]https://www.google.com/maps/place/100+Rutherford+Rd+S,+Brampton,+ON+L6W+3J5/@43.6971311,-79.7360939,3a,75y,34.49h,92.7t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sD1Gi3dsxwSPTNQaHjToIDw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192!4m5!3m4!1s0x882b3e1c7a130b03:0xb7f05d563f46aca4!8m2!3d43.6975248!4d-79.7352554[/url]

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

August 26, 2019 5:31 pm  #6

It will definitely be on someone's roof. Here's the letter supplied to the CRTC. 

August 26, 2019 9:19 pm  #7

Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.

August 27, 2019 11:43 am  #8

One is 102, one is 100 ... with lots in a Brampton industrial area I wonder if both of the two street addresses are actually correct...

August 27, 2019 1:40 pm  #9

Will allow good reception when one is getting their truck tires changed...

August 27, 2019 8:08 pm  #10

Saul wrote:

One is 102, one is 100 ... with lots in a Brampton industrial area I wonder if both of the two street addresses are actually correct...

For what it is worth, the Ontario Land Titles records show that 2494747 ONTARIO (not "ONT") LTD. owns "102" Rutherford Road South in Brampton.   

September 25, 2019 5:18 pm  #11

I wonder how this is going 

October 11, 2019 9:07 pm  #12

The CRTC plans to issue the following decisions, regulatory policies and reports in the coming week. (Oct. 15th to Oct. 18th)
This list may be incomplete and is subject to change without notice.

Broadcasting Decision:

Decision relating to the following applications considered under the Commission’s Part 1 process:

Radio Humsafar Inc.

Ethnic commercial AM radio station in Brampton – Technical changes and extension of implementation deadline

Public record for these applications: [url=http://2019-0706-5 and 2019-0742-9]2019-0706-5 and 2019-0742-9[/url]