sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum


You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 1, 2019 6:56 am  #61


Re: WIVB/WNLO/WUTV/YesTV Confirm OTA Frequency Shift

RadioActive wrote:

 If you watch OTA and haven't tuned in their new frequency, how will you be able to see this announcement?

Reminds me of the old trick we used to play on newbie radio announcers... "Quick, open the mic and tell the listeners we're off the air"
 

 

August 1, 2019 11:05 am  #62


Re: WIVB/WNLO/WUTV/YesTV Confirm OTA Frequency Shift

Tim Brown 2016 wrote:

Glen Warren wrote:

The radome for the microwave area was replaced about 14 or 15 years ago (IIRC).

The microwave radome is the white ring or donut around the lower area of the 360 restaurant.

The radome panels that run up the mast are the originals from the 1970s.

Here they are being installed.

In this case since its fibreglass (probably something you'd see on a typical body of a boat) its being cleaned/polished/waxed who knows....to renew appearence and its working.

Just dont know how its happening in the middle of the day as they are up there now around the first portion which is the FM area above skypod.

Last edited by markow202 (August 1, 2019 11:05 am)

 

August 1, 2019 2:00 pm  #63


Re: WIVB/WNLO/WUTV/YesTV Confirm OTA Frequency Shift

RA - WPXJ has NOT changed channels. It is still on the pre-repack assignment of Ch. 23.  It cannot move until WJET-TV Erie (the next market over) vacates Ch. 24.  WJET is scheduled to make the change to Ch. 28, Friday evening - Aug 2nd, at 6:30 pm.   The likelihood is that WPXJ will move to Ch. 24 sometime over the weekend.   It may also broadcast on a temporary antenna until it re-locates to the WNLO-49 tower.   WNLO (repack Ch. 16)  is scheduled to re-locate to the Grand Island WUTV Tower, but that may take some time.

 

August 1, 2019 2:36 pm  #64


Re: WIVB/WNLO/WUTV/YesTV Confirm OTA Frequency Shift

So how come I couldn't get it until I rescanned on 23 and my DVR said "6 new channels found?" That's why I thought the change had been made. Very odd, since I've had it tuned in for years. Thanks for the update in any case. A very weird set of circumstances at play here. I will rescan for 24 over the weekend and hope it's one of those days when it's coming in.

I wasn't aware that WNLO was going back to Grand Island - that's very good news, since the move to Colden has resulted in a less stable signal into Toronto. As stated before, it used to be one of the strongest ones into the GTA from across the border. 

Any idea where the channel 67s will be going (and when)? They're on VHF 7 now if I recall, but I'm guessing they won't be staying there. It's unlikely any move will improve reception here, but of all the channels that are iffy in T.O. (26, 51, etc.) this is the one I'd most like to get on a regular basis, thanks to MeTV. Alas, as long as it's an LPTV, there's not a lot of chance of that.  

     Thread Starter
 

August 1, 2019 5:00 pm  #65


Re: WIVB/WNLO/WUTV/YesTV Confirm OTA Frequency Shift

RadioActive wrote:

So how come I couldn't get it until I rescanned on 23 and my DVR said "6 new channels found?" That's why I thought the change had been made. Very odd, since I've had it tuned in for years. Thanks for the update in any case. A very weird set of circumstances at play here. I will rescan for 24 over the weekend and hope it's one of those days when it's coming in.

I wasn't aware that WNLO was going back to Grand Island - that's very good news, since the move to Colden has resulted in a less stable signal into Toronto. As stated before, it used to be one of the strongest ones into the GTA from across the border. 

Any idea where the channel 67s will be going (and when)? They're on VHF 7 now if I recall, but I'm guessing they won't be staying there. It's unlikely any move will improve reception here, but of all the channels that are iffy in T.O. (26, 51, etc.) this is the one I'd most like to get on a regular basis, thanks to MeTV. Alas, as long as it's an LPTV, there's not a lot of chance of that.  

Sorry a typo. Did not mean to get you hopes up.  It is WNYO (not WNLO) that is going to Grand Island.  WNYO is Ch. 49 and owned by Sinclair that also owns WUTV.  the plan is to co-locate on WUTV's tower.  So there should be an improvement in Toronto,.  See earlier post about WNYO going ATSC-3.   That would remove the signal from 100% of installed TV's.

The Colden issue is far from final.   At the current antenna height, the horizon would not be very far out.  At the top of the tower, the horizon will extend considerably.   WIVB was consistently reliable in mid-town from I believe the early 2000's to 2018 from that tower so I don't see any reason why the signal, when the tower work is completed, and power goes back to 800KW, at 1,362 feet, would not have the same reliability in Toronto.

If my memory - which is not as good as it used to be, is correct, WIVB was the first station in this region, to transmit in HD, - probably around the early 2000's - I bought an HD tuner module in Arizona to upgrade a receiver as there were no HD tuners in TV sets (or satellite receivers) at that time.   The chief engineer at WIVB at that time, phoned me to alert me the day they started testing HD transmissions.   From my receiving site, WIVB at Colden was less prone to fade-outs due to weather conditions. The tuner module was way less sensitive than today's TVs and CFTO did me no favours when it initially transmitted on Ch. 40, but WIVB hung in there, from Colden.

Channel 67- WBZZ is staying on Channel 7.  One of the inducements for it to retain spectrum was for the owners to move to high-band VHF.  They are not required to make any changes during this, or any future phase of re-pack.  No changes to power or tower have been applied for.   

Without shilling, I have seen a significant improvement of WGRZ and WKBW by replacing an existing antenna with the Antenna Direct 91XG which is available in Canada from Amazon Prime for under $80 delivered to your home or office.  It is a well-made antenna with significant gain.   I anticipate a very stable signal from WNLO/WIVB using the antenna direct yagi.


 

Last edited by tvguy (August 1, 2019 5:03 pm)

 

August 1, 2019 5:56 pm  #66


Re: WIVB/WNLO/WUTV/YesTV Confirm OTA Frequency Shift

Thank you for the detailed answer - except for the typo! That one hurt! I'd rather not lose any signals, but I can't recall the last time I watched WNYO. There's simply no programming on "MyTV" that's worth it. Of course, that could change in the future.

I'm glad to hear things may improve for WIVB/WNLO. The former was a constant issue for me before they temporarily relocated it to the WNLO tower, and I was sorry to see that go. So far, conditions have been good enough that it hasn't been an issue. We'll see what the fall and winter brings, although given my past experience, I think I already know. 

My current antenna is admittedly pretty old but it's up high on a rotor on a tower attached to my house. There's an amplifier there, too and it generally works well. But I'm willing to consider anything that could improve it. As I'm sure you can appreciate, the rotor is a handy tool when chasing these sometimes elusive signals and even a slight adjustment can make a huge difference.  I wonder how ATSC-3 will affect propagation if at all. 

I've come to believe that at some point in my lifetime, OTA TV will disappear, replaced entirely by streaming. I hope that day isn't soon. I will always find free better than fee! 

     Thread Starter
 

August 1, 2019 6:12 pm  #67


Re: WIVB/WNLO/WUTV/YesTV Confirm OTA Frequency Shift

I finally got around to rescanning my TVs following this week's repack (location: Cabbagetown in Toronto)

Super annoyed as always that both sets have no facility for manually adding channels. You have to rescan the whole lot, and if you miss one, rescan again when the conditions are better, and hope you do not lose a channel you had before.

The livingroom set, using an 8-bay rooftop antenna, fared really well. All the Buffalo suspects were locked in: WGRZ, WIVB, WKBW, WNED, WUTV, WNLO and even the 51-ION in Batavia which is hit and (mostly) miss came in on this evening's scan. All the Toronto channels came in, except oddly for the pirate Star Ray on 15, which is usually rock solid. I got nothing from Hamilton but have never had much luck with that and my antenna is aimed at Buffalo.

the upstairs set, using one of those antennas that are kind of gun-shaped with a set of smaller and smaller fins and a powered amplifier, fared less well. It did not pick up WIVB, WNLO or WUTV.

If I ever upgrade one or both of those TVs, I will definitely make sure the tuning interface includes manual add and remove.

 

August 1, 2019 6:43 pm  #68


Re: WIVB/WNLO/WUTV/YesTV Confirm OTA Frequency Shift

6079 Smith W wrote:

If I ever upgrade one or both of those TVs, I will definitely make sure the tuning interface includes manual add and remove.

I'm not entirely sure that will make any difference, although I will bow to the superior knowledge of those who gather here. My DVRs have the manual scan option and my TVs have the option to hide and show any channels I choose. But once they're in the memory, it does seem they can't be wiped out without starting from scratch. 

All of them would not recognize the new channel placements once the big move took place this week. For instance, I was getting Charge TV, Channel 29.3 on 4.1, and no amount of manual rescanning would fix it. Similarly, I was getting WUTV on Channel 23 and I couldn't regain WNLO. 

In the end, I reluctantly had to do a complete rescan on everything, losing all the Channel 67 stuff in my program guide, because it wasn't coming in at the time. I'm not sure what will happen when ION goes and I have to go through this all over again. 

     Thread Starter
 

August 1, 2019 9:16 pm  #69


Re: WIVB/WNLO/WUTV/YesTV Confirm OTA Frequency Shift

WPXJ 51 was on both channels 23 and 24 at times this morning and early afternoon. From Cobourg, the new signal seemed a little bit weaker than the old. I guess they were just testing things out. As to WUTV on its new channel, for the most part I am getting a 100% signal here. I didn't even get that from WNLO/WIVB, but they were close. No other station comes in here at that strength. However, on a bad day, it likely won't show up at all. I have an outdoor antenna indoors and am not situated in a great location. As a result, I can't even get CHEX Peterborough or CKWS Brighton. I don't get Rochester as much as I get Buffalo and Rochester is right across the lake. Hamilton stations are spotty. Toronto stations are almost always there but generally are not the strongest. A LOT of changes this week. Interesting times for us TV DX'ers. Here's the link to what I am getting (map) via Rabbit Ears (look for Cobourg):
https://rabbitears.info/tvdx/many_tuner_map/103063F1/tuner0/10339D74/tuner0/101B48F4/tuner1/10343DC8/tuner0/101BF6A5/tuner0/101A7E39/tuner0/103031F4/tuner1/10345B47/tuner0/10152083/tuner0/103B22D6/tuner1/103A0FDF/tuner1/10399A8B/tuner0/103AB6AA/tuner1/103A0AE7/tuner0/10399B09/tuner1/10391284/tuner0/101CAC81/tuner0/101CAC81/tuner1/101CA4A8/tuner0/103A05E8/tuner1/1038BCFA/tuner0/1039A02D/tuner1/10393DBC/tuner0/1016193C/tuner0/10317DF4/tuner1/1038D861/tuner1/103DB6F5/tuner0/10180B55/tuner0/107241E4/tuner3/1019DEC0/tuner0/101106C9/tuner0/101106C9/tuner1/1013024C/tuner0/1013024C/tuner1/1019DEC0/tuner1/1038781D/tuner0/10349662/tuner0/10349662/tuner1/101B8901/tuner0/101677D9/tuner1/103D530B/tuner0/1041F899/tuner0/101C926D/tuner0/1032AA35/tuner0/10537D4B/tuner1/103A3769/tuner0/1042D5BB/tuner1/10464E3B/tuner0/1045F614/tuner0/10461CB0/tuner0/10482196/tuner0/10482196/tuner1/10754A0C/tuner0/10316CFF/tuner1/1038E55C/tuner1/10343612/tuner1/1041B33B/tuner0/10196A90/tuner0/10196A90/tuner1/1048C780/tuner1/1015B815/tuner1/1046E025/tuner0/101B94C9/tuner0/104A609B/tuner0/1045243A/tuner0/10418E7F/tuner0/10311B6D/tuner0/10140755/tuner1/10140755/tuner0/10170ED0/tuner1/105700C0/tuner0/10621A3F/tuner0/10489621/tuner1/1044CBDA/tuner1/1071CC28/tuner1/1061A9AC/tuner0/101803EF/tuner1/104DE161/tuner1/10751075/tuner0/104986EA/tuner0/1049E0F5/tuner0/1065573C/tuner1/10468B29/tuner1/10180B55/tuner1/1047FCDA/tuner0/1047FCDA/tuner1/103258C1/tuner1/1061FE57/tuner1/1063F42C/tuner0/104C1A5D/tuner0/1039C29E/tuner1/10402468/tuner1/1062B171/tuner1/1035BBF0/tuner0/1073283C/tuner3/10133F83/tuner0/10497533/tuner1/1011EFA8/tuner1/101BCCC7/tuner0/10758710/tuner3/1017E8F1/tuner0/1017E8F1/tuner1/1076AA4D/tuner3/1060BD7F/tuner1/106548B3/tuner0/104ADF11/tuner1/1049EE57/tuner1/1034703A/tuner1/1067A183/tuner0/1064C447/tuner0/10733D29/tuner0/10727987/tuner0/

 

August 2, 2019 3:10 pm  #70


Re: WIVB/WNLO/WUTV/YesTV Confirm OTA Frequency Shift

WPXJ is transmitting on Ch. 24 as of 4 pm Friday.  Much improved signal in mid-town Toronto.  Looking forward to Law & Order marathons.

 

August 2, 2019 3:16 pm  #71


Re: WIVB/WNLO/WUTV/YesTV Confirm OTA Frequency Shift

Wow. Just looked at it on Channel 23 and it was breaking up. Rescanned for 24 and the difference is palpable here in northern North York. At least one good thing appears to have come out of all these musical chairs! 

     Thread Starter
 

August 2, 2019 4:01 pm  #72


Re: WIVB/WNLO/WUTV/YesTV Confirm OTA Frequency Shift

WPXJ is still on 23 as well as 24. From the WJET/WFXP website:The big switch happens today!At 6:30 p.m. just as JET 24 Action News concludes its evening news broadcast, JET 24 (WJET) and sister station FOX 66 (WFXP) will change frequencies.

 

August 3, 2019 6:44 am  #73


Re: WIVB/WNLO/WUTV/YesTV Confirm OTA Frequency Shift

Phase 4 is now over.  The next phase that will impact Buffalo stations is in Feb-March 2020.
At that time, WNED will move to Ch. 31,  WKBW will move to Ch. 34 and WNYO (MyTV) now on Ch. 49 will move to Ch. 16 - and relocate to Grand Island.

I checked Phase 8 of the repack and WNYO-TV (MyTV) Ch. 49 does not move until then.  Sorry I may have mis-read one of the repack sites and suggested it would move yesterday.    In any event, City, Global, and the Omni TV stations will also move in Phase 8.   But in terms of antenna re-aiming, the big winner in Phase 4 was Ion TV (Ch. 51) which is much more stable here.  Over the next weeks or months, probably before fall sets in, we will have the final verdict on WNLO/WIVB when they install their new antenna.  Also expect a possible signal adjustment when WUTV relocates back to their own tower on Whitehaven Road on Grand Island.  They are temporarily on the (former) WNLO/WIVB Grand Island tower.

 

August 3, 2019 8:41 am  #74


Re: WIVB/WNLO/WUTV/YesTV Confirm OTA Frequency Shift

Much improved reception on stations.  I receive ION-51 in almost full strength!  I still have no idea what is with CFMT on my set.  CIII-6 Paris also coming in strong all day.  Did they change something aswell? 

 

August 3, 2019 9:39 am  #75


Re: WIVB/WNLO/WUTV/YesTV Confirm OTA Frequency Shift

Interesting reading. These musical chairs must be costing the stations a lot of money!

 

August 3, 2019 12:29 pm  #76


Re: WIVB/WNLO/WUTV/YesTV Confirm OTA Frequency Shift

Global Paris moved to RF 23 August 2nd and according to the ISED database, they increased power as well. Now they are at 140kW up from 97k.

 

August 5, 2019 6:08 pm  #77


Re: WIVB/WNLO/WUTV/YesTV Confirm OTA Frequency Shift

Wikipedia - which is not often the most reliable source - states that WNYB, Channel 26, moved to VHF channel 5 on August 2nd as part of the repack. If that's true, I'm not sure we'll be able to get it here in the GTA anymore. I've been checking periodically and I haven't seen it in days, despite the fact it used to come in very well here. Efforts to rescan using channel 5 show a signal too weak for my DVR to grab hold of.

Also I'm wondering if anyone else is having this problem. Once YesTV moved off of channel 36 and onto channel 14 - without restoring its PSIP to appear on its old location - my DVR's TV guide continually says "No information" about what's on the station.

Not that I watch it a lot, but it would be worthwhile having that info - YesTV just began a new overnight strategy of showing some rarely seen vintage shows like "Chicago Hope" and "The Wonder Years" and it would be nice to be able to record them without having to set it manually. 

     Thread Starter
 

August 5, 2019 6:51 pm  #78


Re: WIVB/WNLO/WUTV/YesTV Confirm OTA Frequency Shift

The Beverly Hillbillies follow the Wonder Years from 2:30-3:30am.

 

August 5, 2019 7:23 pm  #79


Re: WIVB/WNLO/WUTV/YesTV Confirm OTA Frequency Shift

Hey Radioactive....

Although it's apples and oranges, WNYB 26 operated at 5 million watts ERP with a directional antenna that focused the power to the north (ie. Canada). With their tower height, some great UHF propagation on the escarpment near Arkwright NY, and that directional beam they had one of the greatest signals in all of north america.  Think back to those border-blasters in Mexico in the 60's - it was a no-lose situation..  The channel 5 assignment is only 5,000 watts.  But here's the problem.  Yes, you need more power to propagate a signal on Ch 26, but this was a super-powered beast.   However even though digital ERP on VHF is lower than Analogue for 60 mile coverage, the propagation of digital signals on Low-Band VHF isn't cutting it.  WGBH PBS Boston moved to lowband VHF this past weekend, and they are scrambling to deal with the poor propagation and viewer complaints. I believe they added a sub-carrier onto sister station WGBX to retransmit WGBH in standard definition. For the past number of years, most stations have been broadcasting on UHF so anyone using OTA equipment has probably upgraded or replaced their antennas with UHF antennas that have reasonable gain.  A UHF antenna simply won't work on low-band VHF - CHCH found out the hard way, and went to Ch 15 (from 11) after the initial digital transition in the 2000' - and CHCH was on high-band VHF on top of the Niagara Escarpment!.  And that's the rub.  Very few people have high-gain VHF antennas that perform comparably to good UHF antennas.  And, most likely unless you have a massive deep fringe Channel master antenna, the VHF low-band performance is just not there.   BTW, I have long suspected that the hundreds of high-rise buildings that line Toronto's downtown and west end, also contribute to weak VHF reception from the US.  WNYB's owners got paid a major ransom to transition to VHF low-band - so it is likely they are satisfied with cable carriage in Western NY and Eastern Pa.  Not to get too geeky, but a $76 UHF yagi on Amazon.ca will deliver up to 16.5 DB of UHF gain, in the "repack" band of UHF channels.  You'd need a monster VHF antenna costing hundreds of bucks to give you any significant gain.

Last edited by tvguy (August 5, 2019 7:26 pm)

 

August 5, 2019 7:39 pm  #80


Re: WIVB/WNLO/WUTV/YesTV Confirm OTA Frequency Shift

tvguy wrote:

Hey Radioactive....

Although it's apples and oranges, WNYB 26 operated at 5 million watts ERP with a directional antenna that focused the power to the north (ie. Canada). With their tower height, some great UHF propagation on the escarpment near Arkwright NY, and that directional beam they had one of the greatest signals in all of north america.  Think back to those border-blasters in Mexico in the 60's - it was a no-lose situation..  The channel 5 assignment is only 5,000 watts.  But here's the problem.  Yes, you need more power to propagate a signal on Ch 26, but this was a super-powered beast.   However even though digital ERP on VHF is lower than Analogue for 60 mile coverage, the propagation of digital signals on Low-Band VHF isn't cutting it.  WGBH PBS Boston moved to lowband VHF this past weekend, and they are scrambling to deal with the poor propagation and viewer complaints. I believe they added a sub-carrier onto sister station WGBX to retransmit WGBH in standard definition. For the past number of years, most stations have been broadcasting on UHF so anyone using OTA equipment has probably upgraded or replaced their antennas with UHF antennas that have reasonable gain.  A UHF antenna simply won't work on low-band VHF - CHCH found out the hard way, and went to Ch 15 (from 11) after the initial digital transition in the 2000' - and CHCH was on high-band VHF on top of the Niagara Escarpment!.  And that's the rub.  Very few people have high-gain VHF antennas that perform comparably to good UHF antennas.  And, most likely unless you have a massive deep fringe Channel master antenna, the VHF low-band performance is just not there.   BTW, I have long suspected that the hundreds of high-rise buildings that line Toronto's downtown and west end, also contribute to weak VHF reception from the US.  WNYB's owners got paid a major ransom to transition to VHF low-band - so it is likely they are satisfied with cable carriage in Western NY and Eastern Pa.  Not to get too geeky, but a $76 UHF yagi on Amazon.ca will deliver up to 16.5 DB of UHF gain, in the "repack" band of UHF channels.  You'd need a monster VHF antenna costing hundreds of bucks to give you any significant gain.

Thanks for that TVguy. I still have a VHF antenna - along with the UHF one that's on my rotor - from days of yore. But yore - er, you're - right, I think WNYB may be gone for good. I can't even get a sniff off of channel 5. It's not a big deal if it's gone in the end. But it was another signal to get and I like pulling in all that are out there to be gotten.

I guess this is just another victim of the repack here in the GTA. 

Farewell WNYB. We hardly knew ye. (But then again we hardly ever watched ye!)

     Thread Starter
 

August 5, 2019 7:53 pm  #81


Re: WIVB/WNLO/WUTV/YesTV Confirm OTA Frequency Shift

This page from the AVS forum may be helpful to some. Many of the changes listed have already taken place. 

     Thread Starter
 

August 6, 2019 9:30 am  #82


Re: WIVB/WNLO/WUTV/YesTV Confirm OTA Frequency Shift

tvguy wrote:

Hey Radioactive....

Although it's apples and oranges, WNYB 26 operated at 5 million watts ERP with a directional antenna that focused the power to the north (ie. Canada). With their tower height, some great UHF propagation on the escarpment near Arkwright NY, and that directional beam they had one of the greatest signals in all of north america.  Think back to those border-blasters in Mexico in the 60's - it was a no-lose situation..  The channel 5 assignment is only 5,000 watts.  But here's the problem.  Yes, you need more power to propagate a signal on Ch 26, but this was a super-powered beast.   However even though digital ERP on VHF is lower than Analogue for 60 mile coverage, the propagation of digital signals on Low-Band VHF isn't cutting it.  WGBH PBS Boston moved to lowband VHF this past weekend, and they are scrambling to deal with the poor propagation and viewer complaints. I believe they added a sub-carrier onto sister station WGBX to retransmit WGBH in standard definition. For the past number of years, most stations have been broadcasting on UHF so anyone using OTA equipment has probably upgraded or replaced their antennas with UHF antennas that have reasonable gain.  A UHF antenna simply won't work on low-band VHF - CHCH found out the hard way, and went to Ch 15 (from 11) after the initial digital transition in the 2000' - and CHCH was on high-band VHF on top of the Niagara Escarpment!.  And that's the rub.  Very few people have high-gain VHF antennas that perform comparably to good UHF antennas.  And, most likely unless you have a massive deep fringe Channel master antenna, the VHF low-band performance is just not there.   BTW, I have long suspected that the hundreds of high-rise buildings that line Toronto's downtown and west end, also contribute to weak VHF reception from the US.  WNYB's owners got paid a major ransom to transition to VHF low-band - so it is likely they are satisfied with cable carriage in Western NY and Eastern Pa.  Not to get too geeky, but a $76 UHF yagi on Amazon.ca will deliver up to 16.5 DB of UHF gain, in the "repack" band of UHF channels.  You'd need a monster VHF antenna costing hundreds of bucks to give you any significant gain.

I think this might be also the case for CKVR - a station that was always VHF in analog with a big signal on channel 3!  Now its VHF but a weak signal.  Anyone pick it up in the Toronto area?  I never did in Etobicoke despite using a VHF dipole to try. 
 

 

August 6, 2019 9:46 am  #83


Re: WIVB/WNLO/WUTV/YesTV Confirm OTA Frequency Shift

I can get it if I turn my rotor up north. Otherwise, nothing. Of course, if I do that, I lose just about everything coming from the south. As a result, I can't recall the last time I ever watched anything on CKVR aka CTV2.

     Thread Starter
 

August 6, 2019 10:39 am  #84


Re: WIVB/WNLO/WUTV/YesTV Confirm OTA Frequency Shift

Can you not receive its Hamilton repeater in your normal aim? My cheap indoor antenna gets it fine.


 
 

August 6, 2019 10:51 am  #85


Re: WIVB/WNLO/WUTV/YesTV Confirm OTA Frequency Shift

Nope, I have to turn my rotor to the west to get that one to come in. It's not there unless I'm aiming away from Buffalo. 

     Thread Starter
 

August 6, 2019 11:13 am  #86


Re: WIVB/WNLO/WUTV/YesTV Confirm OTA Frequency Shift

RadioAaron wrote:

Can you not receive its Hamilton repeater in your normal aim? My cheap indoor antenna gets it fine.

I do receive that one - sometimes finnicky 

 

August 6, 2019 1:15 pm  #87


Re: WIVB/WNLO/WUTV/YesTV Confirm OTA Frequency Shift

I guess it's my location. I'm got much less of a 'pro' setup than you guys seem to have.


 
 

August 6, 2019 2:34 pm  #88


Re: WIVB/WNLO/WUTV/YesTV Confirm OTA Frequency Shift

I can get WSEE and WJET with the recent tropo, but can't hold a strong signal on CFTO.. maddening.  All other Toronto/Hamilton/Buffalo channels are fine
 

 

August 6, 2019 4:21 pm  #89


Re: WIVB/WNLO/WUTV/YesTV Confirm OTA Frequency Shift

I had a call back from John Carrol, the engineer at WNLO/WIVB.  Good news I believe.   They don't have a date scheduled for the installation of the new antenna at the top of the Colden tower.  But it will be done this fall, perhaps by late September.   They will gain at least 300 feet over the current antenna and he is confident of reliable reception in the GTA.  More than that, they will add a 2nd polarity - which will be an improvement for penetrating walls of buildings.   The power will increase slightly - by about 20 kw from what they had when they were on Channel 39 a few years ago.   All in all, if you had consistent reception (which I had) from WIVB for many years on Ch. 39, you may see an improvement this fall.

 

August 6, 2019 4:30 pm  #90


Re: WIVB/WNLO/WUTV/YesTV Confirm OTA Frequency Shift

tvguy wrote:

I had a call back from John Carrol, the engineer at WNLO/WIVB.  Good news I believe.   They don't have a date scheduled for the installation of the new antenna at the top of the Colden tower.  But it will be done this fall, perhaps by late September.   They will gain at least 300 feet over the current antenna and he is confident of reliable reception in the GTA.  More than that, they will add a 2nd polarity - which will be an improvement for penetrating walls of buildings.   The power will increase slightly - by about 20 kw from what they had when they were on Channel 39 a few years ago.   All in all, if you had consistent reception (which I had) from WIVB for many years on Ch. 39, you may see an improvement this fall.

Awesome information of details youve been posting tvguy!  With all these antenna changes...does the CN Tower have to do the same?  I would think that VHF/UHF transmitting antennas were capable like receiving antennas (2-13 and 14-69) but I guess not.