sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 2, 2019 10:30 am  #1

CBSC Comes Down On CHIN’s “Zelda Young” Radio Show

There have been discussions here (and also here) in the past about a show on CHIN Radio that airs six days a week, called The Zelda Young Show. It’s a program aimed at the city’s Jewish community and usually it’s pretty benign.

But the host has been driving people like me crazy for a long time, because she often gets names and facts wrong and claims to know more about Middle East politics than the very pundits she has on her show. And now one of them has gotten her into trouble with the CBSC, the industry watchdog, over comments made regarding Muslims in North America. 

You can read the story here, but it means they will have to broadcast the decision and the panel’s reasons for it during her show, and given her gigantic ego, I suspect this won’t sit well with Ms. Young at all.

CHIN Toronto in breach for discriminatory comments about Muslims: CBSC

August 4, 2019 8:17 am  #2

Re: CBSC Comes Down On CHIN’s “Zelda Young” Radio Show

I heard the mea culpa announcement for the first time on Sunday morning. Here's the text:

"The Canadian Broadcast Standards Council has found that CHIN breached the Canadian Association of Broadcasters’ Code of Ethics and Equitable Portrayal Code in its broadcast of the Zelda Young Show on March 24, 2019. The episode contained abusive and unduly discriminatory remarks and unduly negative stereotyping about Muslims, contrary to those codes." 

It aired right off the top of the show, just after the intro and the normally outspoken host didn't make a single comment about it in any way, simply ignoring it altogether. The discussion with the very first guest was about why there was so much hate in the world and what could be done about it.

I wonder if Zelda understands the concept of irony...

August 5, 2019 3:02 pm  #3

Re: CBSC Comes Down On CHIN’s “Zelda Young” Radio Show

Not the first time people have complained. Anti-Arab hatred on the Zelda Young Show