sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 4, 2019 7:09 am  #31

Re: What Happens When You Hire An Uninformed Newscaster

In the UK, several news readers have mispronounced the last name of Foreign Secretery and Tory leadership candidate Jeremy Hunt in the way you're all thinking.

https://metro.co.uk/2019/06/10/times-jeremy-hunts-name-mispronounced-tape-9885440/

Last edited by Hansa (July 4, 2019 7:11 am)

July 4, 2019 7:26 am  #32

RadioActive wrote:

I once heard an obvious newcomer to Toronto go on air and pronounce Yonge St. as "Yunj" St. That's probably the one major artery (next to the aorta) you can never get wrong! And don't get me started on Balliol...  

When I am downtown, tourists have approached me for directions to "Yunj" St. They have also asked me about "Strachin" Ave [Oh you mean Straawwn Ave} and Queens Quay [You mean Queens Key] I wonder if the latter two have been mispronounced on air locally.

July 4, 2019 11:05 am  #33

mace wrote:

When I am downtown, tourists have approached me . . .

We will build a wall and illiterate tourists will pay for it

July 4, 2019 11:46 am  #34

mace wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

I once heard an obvious newcomer to Toronto go on air and pronounce Yonge St. as "Yunj" St. That's probably the one major artery (next to the aorta) you can never get wrong! And don't get me started on Balliol...  

When I am downtown, tourists have approached me for directions to "Yunj" St. They have also asked me about "Strachin" Ave [Oh you mean Straawwn Ave} and Queens Quay [You mean Queens Key] I wonder if the latter two have been mispronounced on air locally.

i can understand the "quay" mix up. it 's one of those words that doesn't have a universal pronunciation. it depends where you are.

July 4, 2019 5:30 pm  #35

Dalhousie is always fun.  Is it Dah-loozi as in the port or Dal-How-zee as in the university? 

July 10, 2019 10:17 pm  #36

Great story and welcome back Mr. Mayberry! You were missed!

July 10, 2019 10:50 pm  #37

Maybo wrote:

This story outlines one of the rare times I got something right.

My very first newscast on CKWW Windsor in 1976 featured a fire on Pierre St. Apparently, after I started the ‘cast, the ND, in mid-panic, asked the other news staffers, “did anyone tell Mayberry it’s pronounced ‘PEER’-ee’?” I pronounced it correctly, exited the booth, whereupon my relieved boss said, “How did you KNOW?” “Easy,” I said. “I was born here.”

A lucky break. Credibility is everything!

Great to see you back here Chris

July 11, 2019 2:22 am  #38

Hi Chris: I always thought you were born in London, but now I know better.

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

July 11, 2019 6:14 am  #39

I too would like to welcome you back Maybo.
I really value your thoughtful contributions.

August 1, 2019 9:29 pm  #40

And then there's this...(You can hear the actual audio at the link.)

BBC Radio Host Says 'Boys Eleven Men' In News Drop About Lil Nas X's Chart Record

November 24, 2019 12:18 pm  #41

Saturday night before last on the CBC ... the female newsreader w the French surname twice in the same story pronounced the capital city of that country in South America where all the drugs come from as "bo-GO-ta." (You know the country ... the one that some young print journalists think is correctly spelled "Columbia."). Really no excuse for this anywhere, especially on something that still calls itself the broadcast news source of record in Canada. "BO-go-ta" Colombia isn't some little burg where only the locals know its name isn't pronounced like the name of the well-known city w identical spelling.  And I'm sure the copy didn't phonetically spell the name, because the the editors / copywriters at wherever didn't think it was necessary for BO-go-ta.

November 24, 2019 2:08 pm  #42

The CBC newscaster was wrong, but the correct pronunciation is with the stress on the last syllable as in Bo-go-TA. The clue is the helpful accent over the "a." In Spanish this "accent aigu" indicates where the stress goes. It doesn't effect the pronunciation of the letter itself. When Bogota is written correctly, there is an accent over the "a,".  hence Bo-go-TAH.

November 24, 2019 2:17 pm  #43

John 8:7 King James Version (KJV)He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her.