sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 5, 2019 7:42 pm  #1

Is anyone else tired of the media frenzy over the Kawhi watch?

Man, the Fan590 has beat this one to a pulp this week, even the CBC is putting it on their radio newscasts and the gang at Breakfast Television also is on the will he or won't he sign bandwagon! Not to mention Sportsnet TV as well and TSN. 

This is what I dislike about Sports talk...it is the speculation over something that might, will, or not happen and then they drill the topic into the ground and as a viewer, listener, I immediately switch channels.

As I write this, does anyone know if he's signed yet? 

Seriously, it is a bit way too much this past week. 

Has anyone else felt the same?

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

July 5, 2019 7:57 pm  #2

Re: Is anyone else tired of the media frenzy over the Kawhi watch?

A signing of this level doesn’t happen very often in this town and a great story for summer radio

When I get bored with a story I change the channel

July 5, 2019 8:07 pm  #3

Has anyone else felt the same?

Kawhi?

July 5, 2019 10:45 pm  #4

I understand the level of interest given the NBA Championship (not a basketball fan myself);  but the chopper coverage was over the top and borderline embarrassing.  

I'd be interested to hear from those of you who have Newsroom backgrounds,  the cost per hour to put it and a crew in the air vs. the "journalism gains" for this particular story.  As an aviation buff with a law enforcement background,  I am not knocking the helicopter as a good resource overall;  just its use in this case for a glorified paparazzi report.

July 5, 2019 11:30 pm  #5

Boring. Tiresome. Stale

I'm no basketball fan but I did watch the final series & enjoyed it

And I thought that Mr. Leonard was a shy humble fellow with little to no ego

But this delay in his decision clouds my judgement of him & not in a good way

He's entitled to take his time but come on can it really be THAT difficult?

July 6, 2019 12:00 am  #6

it's an "easy" story. an easy story (of national interest) + speculation = lots of laz... um... i mean, effortless ways of waving the flag while giving  the people what they want.  "if we interview different people for their take on what 'could' happen, in this story of interest, we'll increase the freshness of the story! if we run out of 'experts' we'll just head to the streets to chat with.... anyone! all this, and I keep the expenses low! man that was easy!" said today's news director/yesterday's floor sweeper.

July 6, 2019 5:26 am  #7

Personally, I have a lot of respect for Kawai. They're no Bösendorfer or Steinway, but still quality instruments.

July 6, 2019 9:19 am  #8

NY Times announced it in their online edition about 2:15 this morning. Apparently, the key to the deal was if the Clippers could get Paul George out of Oklahoma City, Leonard would sign the deal. Danny Green is departing the Raptors as well, for the Lakers. With the Jays and Argos seasons [based on their first two games] done, will we get three months of Raptors analysis? How could he do this to us? We are such loyal fans! You could have had free food!!! What will we do now! How are we going to repeat as champions? Simple answer. You won't.

July 6, 2019 9:39 am  #9

but, but, their was extensive speculation, chase producers and teams who could not confirm one way or the other...  I mean, their was the Panic24 chopper live over the DVP... (maybe that was just for an update of the bridge reconstruction?) 

How could this happen?

July 6, 2019 9:42 am  #10

it appears, when it comes to winning another nba championship title, the raptors should prepare for another "ice age". (insert rim-shot here... get it... rim-shot.... basketball... never mind).

July 6, 2019 10:22 am  #11

We now return to our regularly scheduled programming

Thank God

I'm going back to sleep

July 6, 2019 10:34 am  #12

unclefester wrote:

We now return to our regularly scheduled programming.   Thank God.    I'm going back to sleep

The man generated millions of $$$ of revenue for local business, sports wear & sports bars in particular.   Don't let the bed bugs bite, pal

July 6, 2019 10:46 am  #13

Kawhi went home, no different than Tavares coming home to the Leafs.  It wasn't the money as Kawhi left $50M on the table, it was about going home.

No one can dispute Kawhi gave his all last year & the Raptors/Masai did everything for a successful Raptors/Kawhi season.  It was a fun, magical run.

Disappointed yes but no hard feelings. 

Thank you Kawhi.  Thank you Masai.

Last edited by g121 (July 6, 2019 10:47 am)

July 6, 2019 11:00 am  #14

Ms. C. wrote:

unclefester wrote:

We now return to our regularly scheduled programming.   Thank God.    I'm going back to sleep

The man generated millions of $$$ of revenue for local business, sports wear & sports bars in particular.   Don't let the bed bugs bite, pal

I thought we were discussing media coverage

But I'll play along

Those "millions of $$$" have been counted & spoken for or are already spent

They're ancient history

The kick in the nuts is what could have been with this guy not what was...

Everybody's eyes lit up!!  

But now the Raptors are headed back down the shitter

And they all know it

July 6, 2019 11:06 am  #15

Shades of Lebron's "The Decision" media circus that was widely criticized. I actually laughed when I saw the chopper coverage. Whatever gets people watching, I guess.

Last edited by Retaw (July 6, 2019 11:06 am)

July 6, 2019 1:27 pm  #16

around 9AM this morning, i tuned into cbc newsworld (i can't remember their new name... damn you old brain). kahwi's departure was front and center (oops, make that centre... hey you can take the kid out of the u.s. but...) and remained that way for the next 30 minutes. then came the station's financial report segment but wait, the departure news took over that segment as well. the commentators discussed how kahwai's change of address would impact the local (and national) economy! at that time, our saturday morning housecleaning was complete and i had more time to focus on the tube. time to watch something that i consider to be a little more informative (than the news bulletin that just won't quit... even if the person did). that said, i'm still amazed how dr. pol can think nothing of sticking his arm up a cow's butt.

July 6, 2019 5:04 pm  #17

the original hank wrote:

i'm still amazed how dr. pol can think nothing of sticking his arm up a cow's butt.

I'm not sure it's the cow's butt his arm is going up.

July 6, 2019 10:30 pm  #18

I woke up early on Saturday (around 6 AM), put on the news and heard it then. So much for getting back to sleep!  Although I'm not a hoops fan and didn't really follow the Raptors as more than a news story, what surprised me most in the morning was what I heard on the Fan and TSN 1050.

Or rather didn't hear. I tuned them in at both 7 and 8 AM and the Rogers outlet was discussing golf and fishing and TSN 1050 was yammering on about the Leafs. I know the Fan was a live show, because one of the hosts mentioned Kawhi's leaving during an intro and then changed the subject. Not sure if 1050's was pre-recorded or not.. 

What a wasted opportunity! I'm quite sure the ONLY thing sports fans wanted to talk about Saturday morning was this story, especially after all the hype that had preceded it. And yet, they were on to other things. Maybe what they were airing was sponsored or leased time. I'm not sure. And they certainly did take up the topic later in the day. 

But what a let down for listeners first thing in the morning. Oddly, the station that had the most talk about it was CFRB, where Dave Trafford spent a good deal of his morning show getting reaction - including from TSN 1050's Matt Cauz, who probably should have been on his own station instead of this one.     

July 7, 2019 2:51 am  #19

the original hank wrote:

(i can't remember their new name... damn you old brain)

It has been 10 years.
A news network run by the CBC and you can't remember it's called CBC News Network?