sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 17, 2019 10:40 am  #1

Raptors Parade Coverage

There is no doubt that the Raptors’ parade was an historic event worthy of huge coverage, especially in Toronto. But it was simply astounding just how much coverage this thing got.

On TV, you could watch it on CTV, CTV2 Barrie, CP24, TSN, CTV Newschannel, CBLT, CBC News Network, CBLFT (CBC French), City TV, OMNI, Sportsnet and Global. In other words, every Canadian OTA channel (except TVO and the second OMNI) and a plethora of cable networks.

On the radio, it appeared on CFRB, TSN 1050, TSN 1150, The Fan 590 and GNR 640, with frequent updates on 680 News. The FMs referenced the event but stayed with normal programming. (It was business as usual on 740, CKNT, CHLO and CHIN on the AM side.)

And it was being streamed live on more web platforms than I could count.

Overkill or appropriate? I will leave it for those who assemble here to decide that, but all I can say is I haven’t seen blanket coverage like this on nearly every station since the Kennedy assassination in 1963.

June 17, 2019 11:31 am  #2

Re: Raptors Parade Coverage

Plus Peter Mansbridge was hosting with Tim and Sid and Dina (from City TV)

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

June 17, 2019 11:52 am  #3

grilled.cheese wrote:

It's almost as if media outlets are covering a major story in Toronto.  

The last time I saw coverage like this was when Archduke Ferdinand was killed in 1914.

Hey, that's not a fair comment!

We didn't have as many cable stations in 1914. 

June 17, 2019 12:25 pm  #4

I’ll get this in before the Geritol kicks in for some posters and the clouds start getting an earful – “As long as those 2 million, black person loving, foreign, non-white bystanders smoking the whacky tobbacky stay off my lawn, give back their welfare cash, tell Trudeau to fuck off, and Make Canada Great Again I'll be happy! Hey Mabel, where are my goddamn blood pressure pills?!”

June 17, 2019 12:29 pm  #5

Good practice for the Leafs parade next year surely!

June 17, 2019 1:13 pm  #6

Global ended their coverage as planned (even though things are running late) at 1:00 so as not to pre-empt Days of our Lives. (and miss out on the NBC sim-sub)

Ultimately, one has to have priorities.

June 17, 2019 2:20 pm  #7

Johnny B wrote:

I’ll get this in before the Geritol kicks in for some posters and the clouds start getting an earful – “As long as those 2 million, black person loving, foreign, non-white bystanders smoking the whacky tobbacky stay off my lawn, give back their welfare cash, tell Trudeau to fuck off, and Make Canada Great Again I'll be happy! Hey Mabel, where are my goddamn blood pressure pills?!”

A-Freakin'-Amen, bro.

Today's downtown Toronto is what 52 years of the Leafs wandering in the wilderness looks like. Boy, did the people want/need this. It must have many Americans scratching their heads wondering how THAT many people can be having so much fun without guns firing off in all directions. God Bless Canada.

June 17, 2019 3:44 pm  #8

Dial Twister wrote:

Johnny B wrote:

A-Freakin'-Amen, bro.

Today's downtown Toronto is what 52 years of the Leafs wandering in the wilderness looks like. Boy, did the people want/need this. It must have many Americans scratching their heads wondering how THAT many people can be having so much fun without guns firing off in all directions. God Bless Canada.

To be fair, I don't see anyone here dumping on the coverage. But since it's a local broadcast board, it seemed to make sense to note how many stations it was on and how they were covering it.

While GNR640 had their regular hosts come and go on their shifts, I wonder how Ryan Doyle and Jim Richards on 'RB are doing - they've been on the air non-stop for 7 hours and counting as of this posting. 

Even taking in what a remarkable morning/afternoon/(night?) it's been, that's a very long shift to be live on air. And I'm betting they wouldn't change a thing. 

June 17, 2019 3:55 pm  #9

By the way, RB really killed 640 on this, when shots were fired near the scene of the parade.

NT1010 was the only one who had this angle on the story as it was happening, even while their reporters were ordered to get down on the ground. Meanwhile, 640 carried on with the feed of the speeches, apparently either unable or not knowing what was going on until several minutes later.

June 17, 2019 4:12 pm  #10

Any worthwhile coverage of former CFRB asset Doug Ford's chilly reception?

June 17, 2019 5:01 pm  #11

Chrisphen wrote:

Ford said days ago that he wouldn't be there,  stating that the "parade is for the players not politicians";  although the National Post reported that he would "watch from Nathan Philips Square".

Did he participate after all?

Last edited by Media Observer (June 17, 2019 5:13 pm)

June 17, 2019 5:13 pm  #12

Media Observer wrote:

Chrisphen wrote:

Ford said days ago that he wouldn't be there,  stating that the "parade is for the players not politicians".

Video circulating of Raptors Pres Masai Ujiri brushing off Ford and embracing Trudeau...also, interesting that Ford didn't address the crowd while Tory and Trudeau did....he knew it wouldn't be pretty.

June 17, 2019 5:28 pm  #13

At 5:20 the BBC had a 30 second clip dealing with shooting at the parade. Nothing about the actual celebration. Probably the last time the BBC noticed Toronto was the van attack last year.

June 17, 2019 5:54 pm  #14

Dial Twister wrote:

It must have many Americans scratching their heads wondering how THAT many people can be having so much fun without guns firing off in all directions. 

Yeah, it seems we prefer only 2 directions (so far) ...

June 17, 2019 9:32 pm  #15

I really enjoyed Tim and Sid and Dina from City TV today, I was out on a few meetings and listening to them in the car...they were great and of course being sports radio, they cut into the Raptor's media team too...(Brad Fay, Michael Grange, Eric Smith)...

It was well done!

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

June 18, 2019 2:20 pm  #16

RadioActive wrote:

By the way, RB really killed 640 on this, when shots were fired near the scene of the parade.

NT1010 was the only one who had this angle on the story as it was happening, even while their reporters were ordered to get down on the ground. Meanwhile, 640 carried on with the feed of the speeches, apparently either unable or not knowing what was going on until several minutes later.

The rest of the so-called media chose to blow over the shooting and play it down because it ruined their chosen fantasy narrative that this victory represents the victory of unifying the community across the lines which divide us and that we are all the same and one big happy family, blah blah blah.

The media are no longer as interested in reporting stories as they are interested in playing social engineer.

I congratulate Ryan Doyle and Jim Richards for the fantastic job they did yesterday covering an important actual event (shots fired among a massive crowd - this is a story folks) for CFRB. And shame on the media who ignored it because it did not sit well with their fantasy world.

And shame on the police for not identifying the perpetrators and announcing the charges as they would have done and have done in any and every other violent episode of this gravity. Because we all know what that means. If they had been white dudes in MAGA hats their names, faces, and entire life stories would have been everywhere instantly.

And shame on the media for not calling the police out on their attempt to whitewash reality.

Last edited by 6079 Smith W (June 18, 2019 2:23 pm)

June 18, 2019 6:17 pm  #17

Global's Catherine McDonald tweeted:
"None of the 3 men arrested are believed to be the suspect wanted for the shooting yesterday. That suspect is still at large. He’s a white man, 5’9” with light brown hair and a heavy build wearing a white button down shirt fleeing WB on Queen"

June 19, 2019 2:42 am  #18

Funny how the shooting was covered by the media, but the stabbing that occurred earlier in the afternoon during the festivities...not so much.

June 19, 2019 9:11 am  #19

6079 Smith W wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

The rest of the so-called media chose to blow over the shooting and play it down because it ruined their chosen fantasy narrative that this victory represents the victory of unifying the community across the lines which divide us and that we are all the same and one big happy family, blah blah blah.

The media are no longer as interested in reporting stories as they are interested in playing social engineer.

I congratulate Ryan Doyle and Jim Richards for the fantastic job they did yesterday covering an important actual event (shots fired among a massive crowd - this is a story folks) for CFRB. And shame on the media who ignored it because it did not sit well with their fantasy world.

And shame on the police for not identifying the perpetrators and announcing the charges as they would have done and have done in any and every other violent episode of this gravity. Because we all know what that means. If they had been white dudes in MAGA hats their names, faces, and entire life stories would have been everywhere instantly.

And shame on the media for not calling the police out on their attempt to whitewash reality.

You are a fool. 

Guess this doesn't fit YOUR narrative.....

"The suspect police are looking for is described as a male with a heavy build, around five-foot-nine, short brown hair and wearing a white button-down shirt"

June 19, 2019 9:28 am  #20

6079 Smith W wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

This is some funny shit...again, this is why I keep coming to this board...not sure if this guy means what he says or he's just looking for reaction ala twitter bot/troll style...but this kinda old white man, racist, right wing shit is gold!...MAGA! #KeepAmericaGreat 

June 19, 2019 1:05 pm  #21

Johnny B wrote:

...this is why I keep coming to this board...

I'm only here for the beer.

June 19, 2019 4:56 pm  #22

If Linden MacIntyre & Grilled.Cheese are selected to host the Maple Leaf's victory parade, the celebration can be promoted as "Mac and Cheese"

June 19, 2019 5:12 pm  #23

Dial Twister wrote:

Johnny B wrote:

...this is why I keep coming to this board...

I'm only here for the beer.

When does the Moderator open the bar?

June 19, 2019 5:50 pm  #24

geo wrote:

If Linden MacIntyre & Grilled.Cheese are selected to host the Maple Leaf's victory parade, the celebration can be promoted as "Mac and Cheese"

I know cheese ages well, but even cheese won't wait long enough for a Leafs victory.

June 19, 2019 5:54 pm  #25

9.5 million Canadians watched the Toronto Raptors parade on TV

https://mobilesyrup.com/2019/06/18/9-5-million-canadians-watched-raptors-parade/

Last edited by cash (June 19, 2019 5:54 pm)