sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 14, 2019 12:33 pm  #1

One Time NYC FM Powerhouse Rocker Going All Christian

This isn't local but I guess this just proves there's nothing sacred when it comes to big corporations selling their radio properties. There was a time when WPLJ-FM New York City ranked high in the ratings, with Scott Shannon and others grabbing huge numbers in the biggest media market on the planet. 

They long ago lost those lofty heights (now about 20th out of 46 according to the last ratings in 2018) with a Hot AC Format. But they're never likely to be so popular again with word that Cumulus has sold the FM outlet to a company called EMF. What's the big deal? The new owner changes all of its properties to all-Christian stations, taking one of the biggest rockers in North America and soon changing it to "All Jesus, All The Time."

I wonder how that's going to play in the Big Apple? I feel bad for the current employees, who will almost certainly all be turfed when the new owner takes over March 1st.

WPLJ has quite a history in New York, having first signed on in 1948, and becoming WABC-FM in 1953. For a while some of the AM side's legendary personalities, like Dan Ingram and Chuck Leonard, did very different kinds of formats on the FM station, in addition to their more famous efforts on 770.

I once remember Bob Holiday, the news director of CFTR back in the 80s, telling me he never thought he'd live to see the day when former rivals CHUM and CFRB would be owned by the same company, let alone located in the same building. I kind of feel the same way knowing what was once part of the legendary WABC would go all Christian. (Then again, if WQXR could go all Disney, I guess anything is possible!)

Not a big deal in the end, I suppose, but I still thought it was worth noting here as something of a sign of the times. 

Cumulus Media Sells Off Six Stations to K-LOVE Christian Radio Owner EMF, Including New York's 95.5 PLJ

February 14, 2019 12:54 pm  #2

Re: One Time NYC FM Powerhouse Rocker Going All Christian

RadioActive wrote:

Not a big deal in the end, I suppose, but I still thought it was worth noting here as something of a sign of the times

The end times? 

February 14, 2019 1:07 pm  #3

What (format) would Jesus do?

February 14, 2019 2:00 pm  #4

Could be oldies ... "...Long-haired freaky people need not apply 
So I tucked my hair up under my hat and I went in to ask him why ..."

Could be country ... "...eleven long haired Friends of Jesus
In a Chartreuse microbus..."

Last edited by Saul (February 14, 2019 2:00 pm)

February 14, 2019 2:06 pm  #5

Saul wrote:

Could be oldies ... "...Long-haired freaky people need not apply 
So I tucked my hair up under my hat and I went in to ask him why ..."

Could be country ... "...eleven long haired Friends of Jesus
In a Chartreuse microbus..."

You can add Sister Janet Mead to the playlist

Cheers,
Jody Thornton

February 14, 2019 2:13 pm  #6

WPLJ's transmitter is situated on the Empire State Building, and its assets certainly worth a lot of money in the New York CIty market, seems Cumulus's financial situation is very desperate for them to sell 95.5 to the EMF (K-LOVE) company. Although PLJ's ratings has been very low among the commercial FMs in the recent years, Cumulus could have sell their suburb 94.7 signal to the EMF, in order to keep the main 95.5 for their NYC revenue. EMF's non-profit status allows them to have positive cash flow, and purchase all the major signals from debt-laden companies. Therefore K-LOVE's officially be able to heard in most major populated cities in US.

A little bit off-topic but, Cumulus even sold mix 107.3 in Washington to EMF, the station has been doing excellent in ratings. Seems Cumulus is putting its shift to medium and small populated markets.

February 14, 2019 2:32 pm  #7

Adrian106072 wrote:

Cumulus could have sell their suburb 94.7 signal to the EMF, in order to keep the main 95.5 for their NYC revenue.

They also offloaded 94.7  (To Entercom)

February 14, 2019 2:35 pm  #8

Jody Thornton wrote:

And don't forget the Singing Nun!

February 14, 2019 7:56 pm  #9

All the on air staff are going, if not gone already.

February 14, 2019 8:35 pm  #10

An interesting analysis about what all this means for the #1 radio market on the planet. 

What Does Cumulus' Sale of WPLJ & WNSH Mean for New York City Radio?

February 14, 2019 9:06 pm  #11

RadioActive wrote:

Jody Thornton wrote:

And don't forget the Singing Nun!

How long until there's a posting with a YouTube link to Frank D'Angelo's rendition of Norman Greenbaum's "Spirit In The Sky"?

February 14, 2019 9:17 pm  #12

RadioActive: Thanks for the story; you always manage to come up with interesting stuff!

February 15, 2019 5:24 pm  #13

Good Gawd!!! 

February 15, 2019 5:42 pm  #14

RadioActive wrote:

Not sure, but God listens to Slayer.

May 8, 2019 1:47 pm  #15

WPLJ started out in life as WABC-FM. As this thread indicates, it was sold to a religious broadcaster that will turn this iconic rock station in the biggest market in the world into a Christian outlet after 50 incredible years. 

It's not often that a station announces its own demise on air or gives staff a chance to say their farewells. But they have until May 31st to do it. This video was posted on the station's Twitter page Wednesday. They're promising a huge farewell, like the one (or two!) CHUM did before it faded into the sunset."We have a great tribute planned, and will be signing off this iconic radio station at 11:59p on 5/31," wrote station DJ Mike Allan.

It's the last tie to the great WABC music days, and will certainly be worth a listen if you can find it online. So far, the only place that I've been able to get a feed that works is here in case you're interested for later this month.  

NY Daily News: 95.5 WPLJ radio will end nearly 50 years of broadcasting at the end of the month

May 30, 2019 10:51 am  #16

Just a reminder for those interested in hearing the death throes of a longtime great station that tomorrow, Friday, May 31st, is the final day for WPLJ-FM in New York before it turns from rock to religion.

The station is promising an all-day tribute to its legacy, and I've been surprised by how much attention this has received in New York and national media.

Even competing stations, like Jersey 101.5, is noting the departure and the station's impact. 

You can listen live here.

May 30, 2019 11:07 am  #17

Update: While tomorrow is the last day, I was just listening online and discovered that today, Thursday, is their "DJ Reunion Day," with former personalities being invited back to reminisce about their days at the station. Great stuff if you like old behind-the-scenes radio stories.