sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 9, 2018 10:32 am  #1

Happy Trails... to me...

I have been…I have been so fortunate to get to know so many of you and to see what you do. You are passionate about what you do and that is the beauty of Ontario.   So, let me leave you with this: whoever you are, in whatever corner of Ontario you have made home, you are part of a beautiful, vibrant place. 

The evil yellow board can can make us feel that we’re divided, that, somehow, we’re not in this together. But, believe me, we are. We are dependent on one another. From Fort Severn across to Moosonee, through Kenora, Thunder Bay, Wawa, Red Lake, Cochrane, Timmins, Renfrew, Cornwall, Ottawa, Kingston, the GTA, Barrie, Bracebridge, Kitchener-Waterloo, Niagara, London, Chatham, Windsor and all the places in between.

I am resigning as moderator. 

I have spoken to RadioActive and asked him to take over as moderator and he has agreed.  And it is the right thing to do. There is another generation and I am passing the torch to that generation.

Thank you so much! Thank you so much! Merci! Merci!

Composed for Iain Grant by Melania Trump.

Anyway, I'm out, RA is in..  have fun with whatever comes next .

Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.

June 9, 2018 10:55 am  #2

Re: Happy Trails... to me...

For some reason that Van Halen song is playing in my head...

Being moderator must be like herding cats... clever cats, and sometimes catty and vicious cats.

Thanks Iain, I appreciate your time spent captaining the big yellow board, and wisdom in choosing RadioActive to take over the moderator duties.

I hope you are sticking around to still pipe up on threads because this wouldn't be the same without your voice.

Cheers

Last edited by betaylored (June 9, 2018 10:56 am)

June 9, 2018 12:09 pm  #3

Good luck. Will you still be posting ?

June 9, 2018 1:10 pm  #4

I'll still be posting.  The main problem is 'real life' is just crazy and doesn't look to be getting saner soon, plus we've got a bunch of trips planned and to be honest, I'd just like to be a spectator for a while.  I kind of lost interest months ago and have just been going through the motions.  So now I'm not .

Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.

June 9, 2018 1:50 pm  #5

Best luck to you & your family Iain.

We've had the opportunity to chat briefly behind the scenes.

You're a class guy.

Thank you for all your efforts.

We'll still catch you on the weekends.

And the bd. is in great hands with RA

Take care

June 9, 2018 4:51 pm  #6

Iain ... you were a great moderator but now with your freeedom to speak your mind, I look forward to your comments on the Yellow Board. Enjoy being a spectator ... it's more fun and less stressful. 

June 9, 2018 5:02 pm  #7

Last edited by Fitz (June 9, 2018 5:02 pm)

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/

June 9, 2018 6:08 pm  #8

This got me wondering about who has served as moderators here over the years. If memory serves, it's been Dale Patterson, Craig Smith, Rob Edds, Iain, and now RA. Thought it was worth naming all of them, as their efforts to keep this forum going have been and continue to be much appreciated.

June 9, 2018 7:21 pm  #9

Lorne wrote:

This got me wondering about who has served as moderators here over the years. If memory serves, it's been Dale Patterson, Craig Smith, Rob Edds, Iain, and now RA. Thought it was worth naming all of them, as their efforts to keep this forum going have been and continue to be much appreciated.

One more just a few years ago Phil A McBride.

Cool Airchecks and More:

June 9, 2018 8:59 pm  #10

All the best Iain.... as Diamond Dave once sang....  bump-a-DEE-da.

June 9, 2018 9:01 pm  #11

Thanks Iain...good luck man...you left the board in great shape!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVRwqUC7K-E

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

June 9, 2018 10:13 pm  #12

I, too, wish Iain well and thank him for all his efforts. I'm told taking care of the Yella Fella isn't always that easy at times and I hope I can live up to the standards he set. As noted, he is, indeed, a class act. (Or is that an acting class? Oh, wait, that's our Prime Minister's old job. But I digress...) 

I'm taking this on simply because I value the board and want to see it continue. Iain told me in a separate communication that he was planning to shut it down completely if someone didn't take his place soon, and I wouldn't want that to happen. I don't expect to make any real changes, because things seem to be working out O.K. 

But for those looking to make trouble, I should mention that I'm recently recovering from a mild case of cancer, so have pity on the new guy! He's already got enough on his plate! 

And Iain thanks for your trust. Or is that your truss from all the heavy lifting you did here? Either way, enjoy your freedom! You've earned it. 

RA
aka What the hell have I gotten myself into now?

June 9, 2018 10:39 pm  #13

You did a first-rate job Iain, and so will you RA.

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

June 9, 2018 10:58 pm  #14

Lorne wrote:

I was moderator from the board's founding in October 1998 until February 2001, when I handed it to Craig Smith. When Craig passed in September 2010, the job fell to Rob Edds. Iain took over in 2015, then handed it to Phil McBride in mid-2016, McBride closed sowny.ca in January 2017 but Ian created a new SOWNY at sowny.net in his second tour of duty on Big Yella. Now it's RA, and I wish him well. Be nice.

June 9, 2018 11:35 pm  #15

Dale Patterson wrote:

Iain took over in 2015, then handed it to Phil McBride in mid-2016, McBride closed sowny.ca in January 2017 but Ian created a new SOWNY at sowny.net in his second tour of duty on Big Yella. Now it's RA, and I wish him well. Be nice.

I had mostly forgotten about that ... shows what a good job Iain did in bringing the forum back to life. But yes, we'd better behave because he's probably not going to come back a third time. Thanks again, Iain. 

June 10, 2018 12:52 am  #16

Dale Patterson wrote:

Lorne wrote:

I was moderator from the board's founding in October 1998 until February 2001, when I handed it to Craig Smith. When Craig passed in September 2010, the job fell to Rob Edds. Iain took over in 2015, then handed it to Phil McBride in mid-2016, McBride closed sowny.ca in January 2017 but Ian created a new SOWNY at sowny.net in his second tour of duty on Big Yella. Now it's RA, and I wish him well. Be nice.

I think the McBride era started in 2014. 

Here is a snip via the Way Back Machine from Jan 2015:

Last edited by Fitz (June 10, 2018 1:08 am)

Cool Airchecks and More:

June 10, 2018 1:08 am  #17

Iain, best of luck and happy "retirement" from running the board.  Not to sound like some sort of deranged stalker but I remember reading your usenet posts on tor.general as far back as 1996.  You can still find them courtesy of google.  There's some radio gold in there.  Hopefully, you'll still be seen here posting.

RA, now that you're wearing the Sheriff's badge, please don't stop your insightful and entertaining posts.  You've dug up some amazing gold in the past little while.

June 10, 2018 7:20 am  #18

Fitz wrote:

Thanks, and yes, it's certainly coming back to me now. I remember the problems, but had forgotten that he was the one who had to deal with them. Glad that we were able to move on from that whole situation.

June 10, 2018 8:07 am  #19

Fitz wrote:

Dale Patterson wrote:

Lorne wrote:

Thanks Fitz. So can anyone confirm when McBride left and Iain took over for the second time?

June 10, 2018 10:52 am  #20

I think we just missed the actual 3-year anniversary. I went back to look and the earliest posts I can find are from May 28, 2015. So that's when this latest incarnation of SOWNY appeared. If memory serves (and these days it so often doesn't!) the board came back the same day that Phil's version disappeared.  

June 10, 2018 11:14 am  #21

Happy trails!

June 10, 2018 11:17 am  #22

By the way, the big story on the first day of this board appears to be the announcement that CKOC was abandoning oldies for all sports, a shift that would take place in September. And, fittingly, it was put up here by none other than Iain Grant. 

Man, does that seem like a long time ago! 

June 10, 2018 11:48 am  #23

Iain, all the very best and thank you for doing such a great job.

Radio Active you know how much I enjoy your posts; but I do have a question.  To the best of my knowledge all former moderators used their Real Name.  Will you be doing  the same?  Just wondering.  It woud be great to know who you really are.

And RA I hope you are recovering well.

Last edited by John D (June 10, 2018 11:57 am)

June 10, 2018 12:37 pm  #24

John D wrote:

Iain, all the very best and thank you for doing such a great job.

Radio Active you know how much I enjoy your posts; but I do have a question.  To the best of my knowledge all former moderators used their Real Name.  Will you be doing  the same?  Just wondering.  It woud be great to know who you really are.

And RA I hope you are recovering well.

Thanks John. I've thought about that, and I'm not yet sure how I'm going to proceed. But while we'll be using the status quo for now, I will be considering it. As for the recovery, they're talking in terms of years not months. So like the old Norman Lear show goes, I'm taking it One Day At A Time. (Where's Schneider when you need him?) 

June 10, 2018 3:30 pm  #25

RadioActive wrote:

I think we just missed the actual 3-year anniversary. I went back to look and the earliest posts I can find are from May 28, 2015. So that's when this latest incarnation of SOWNY appeared. If memory serves (and these days it so often doesn't!) the board came back the same day that Phil's version disappeared.  

Here's what someone here had to say about the second coming of Iain Grant at the time ... seems that he knew what (and whom) he was talking about.
http://kowchmedia.com/why-the-new-moderator-of-the-sowny-board-is-my-hero/

June 10, 2018 9:33 pm  #26

Ian, thank you for keeping the board going. Even though I've been out of radio for quite a while, I'm still interested and enjoy hearing what's going on and what others have to say. RA, thanks for taking over.

June 12, 2018 9:46 am  #27

Iain, wishing you all the best - thank you for your work keeping this going. RA, thank you for stepping up to the plate!