sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 10, 2018 6:57 pm  #1

The Evanovs’ Latest Plan: Switch Pride FM To 103.5 & CIDC To 103.7

The latest in the seemingly never-ending saga of the Evanovs (aka Dufferin Communications) desperately trying to move its fringe signals into Toronto has taken a bizarre turn with a new proposal to the CRTC.

This time, instead of trying to claim its Orangeville’s Z013.5 is actually a Toronto station, they want to change the frequency altogether and move the station one point down the dial to 103.7. What will go on the abandoned spot? CIRR, more commonly known as Proud FM, which would abandon a weak 103.9 and relocate to its sister outlet’s location

As if that’s not enough, if the request is granted, both stations would be operating at significantly higher powers, with CIRR going from a meagre 225 watts to a much stronger 20,000 watts. Meanwhile, the former Z013.5 (which would have to undergo a logo and brand change) would get a boost from 30,700 watts to 45,000, but the signal would shift from non-directional to directional.

And as they say on those late night infomercials, but wait, there’s more! The Evanvos want to put several HD radio signals on its Proud-FM’s new frequency. And here’s the real surprise. HD1 would use its existing Proud signal, but HD2 is listed as “part simulcast, part unique programs,” whatever those last two words mean.

If I read that correctly, it would effectively give the Evanovs a kind of extra part-time radio station, something I can’t recall ever being allowed in Canada on an HD signal before.

You may remember that last December, the CRTC slapped the company’s hands for trying to argue that CIDC is a Toronto station, despite the fact it’s licenced to Orangeville, prompting a war of words between the regulator and the owners. They were eventually ordered to serve the community, with Orangeville weather, traffic and news.  

Still, in all their filings, the Evanovs continue to plead poverty, warning they’re losing money hand over fist on the frequencies in question, that they can’t sustain the losses much longer and the changes would help them become more financially solvent, without disturbing the existing market status quo. “The future losses that are on the horizon without intervention will be catastrophic to these stations, and to the markets they serve,” they write in the application.

“[The] approval of the applications permits a creative solution to address both financial and technical challenges that are well known to the Commission and fellow broadcasters. This will result in a benefit for listeners both in the Town of Orangeville and the City of Toronto without causing undue hardship to incumbent operators in either of those areas.”

Well, it’s certainly a creative last kick at the can, I’ll give them that. Both stations will have increased output that could help give them a wider access to (surprise!) Toronto. Which of course, I’m sure is only a coincidence!

There are lots of questions about all this. Among them: What do you suppose Rogers, Bell, Newcap and more will have to say about this idea? (Comments are open until June 11.) And second, I wonder what these clearly desperate guys might do next if the powers-that-be say no.

May 10, 2018 8:37 pm  #2

Re: The Evanovs’ Latest Plan: Switch Pride FM To 103.5 & CIDC To 103.7

RadioActive wrote:

There are lots of questions about all this. Among them: What do you suppose Rogers, Bell, Newcap and more will have to say about this idea? (Comments are open until June 11.) And second, I wonder what these clearly desperate guys might do next if the powers-that-be say no.

Newcap? Or Stingray? By June 11th, I suppose you are correct that it's still Newcap.

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

May 10, 2018 9:24 pm  #3

This sounds like a case of 'what goes around comes around.'

If you want new frequencies for your radio stations, you should be required to apply for them against all comers.

May 10, 2018 9:47 pm  #4

I agree, although the Evanovs argue that since they occupy two such close frequencies, no one else can logically make a case for them. After all, there can be no 103.7 if they're still on 103.5 and 103.9. 

But my point has always been that the company knew exactly what they were getting when they applied for both of these stations and the involved frequencies. To claim now that they can't make a go of it, despite having that knowledge, is disingenuous at best. My guess is that they thought they could talk the CRTC into letting them go after the Toronto market proper with the current Z103.5 (or whatever it's called this week) and when the feds said no, they became increasingly desperate.

This is perhaps their final back-up plan and it's pretty strange. You can bet Rogers, Bell, Corus and all the others will be opposed to any of these changes and will fight against any stronger competition in an already saturated GTA market. 

May 10, 2018 11:00 pm  #5

RA..  i agree with much of your premise with one outstanding issue.

Bell corus rogers did not intervene the first time... and newcap and mz only objected on technical issues.  that leads me to believe there will be little objection this time around.  simply put... in toronto isn' evanov simply replacing one blanket frequency with another?

i think the real bun fight will be with the orangeville and shelburne guys again.

May 11, 2018 12:34 am  #6

splunge wrote:

RA..  i agree with much of your premise with one outstanding issue.

Bell corus rogers did not intervene the first time... and newcap and mz only objected on technical issues.  that leads me to believe there will be little objection this time around.  simply put... in toronto isn' evanov simply replacing one blanket frequency with another?

i think the real bun fight will be with the orangeville and shelburne guys again.

Well, you could be right. But while I'm not sure how these new frequencies will propagate (although 103.5 is an OK signal in much of the northern part of T.O.) with a power boost I can only guess there will be two far more powerful entities in the market. And regardless of the CRTC edict, I find it hard to fathom that one of the stations involved will do any more than a token wave to Orangeville if it can be received in other parts of the city.

All of this is moot, of course, if the Commission says no. The Evavovs have made it abundantly clear in all their filings that if they don't get a clear signal of at least one station into Toronto proper, they won't survive financially. Maybe that's true, but can you see a scenario where they'd voluntarily give up either licence?

May 11, 2018 12:22 pm  #7

Tim Brown 2016 wrote:

But In looking at the coverage contours of these latest applications, the Dufferin County station would nest very nicely with the Jewels out of Newmarket and Brantford. That leaves the Toronto station to continue with its LGBTQ programming.

I have a feeling if approved, there will be a programming shift on both stations.

Z1035 will stay on the frequency it's on (under the same name or a new one).   What's left of Proud will move to an HD Sub Channel/Online offering.   It's very doubtful they will keep Proud on a 20K main signal.  

This leaves the NEW CIDC at 103.7 doing something different.   Country is my bet.    Doing the dance leaning CHR on a signal that focuses north of Toronto, isn't going to work.

This is all speculation, but a little common sense says they are doubtful to keep PROUD on the main signal on 1035 in Downtown, and blasting out the dance hits on 103.7 focused on mostly small communities. 

Last edited by radiokid (May 11, 2018 12:23 pm)

May 11, 2018 3:00 pm  #8

I dont' know.  I cant see this being approved.  Their last kick in the bucket try made more sense than this one.  Im also not hearing anything "Orangeville" the last time I tuned in and heard the same hosts since 1995.

May 12, 2018 9:53 pm  #9

Irvine wrote:

And this whole CIDC is an "Orangeville" station is such a moot point.  The station went to Top 40/Dance sometime around 1994-5.  Having been a listener locally & from afar for much of that time I don't ever remember them telling the world they were from Orangeville.  So why is it suddenly an issue now?  Or is this just a "radio" tempest in a tea pot. 

Actually, it was the CRTC that made this a big deal. Evanov tried to make a case that many so-called Toronto stations - Q107, licenced to North York, CFNY, originally a Brampton station, and CFMJ which is legally in Richmond Hill - all get away with acting like Toronto outlets. So why not Z103.5?

In a ruling last December, the Commission ignored those examples and came down on them like a ton of bricks, insisting they serve their area of licence and report Orangeville news, traffic and weather, as well as other local events and to stop courting Toronto listeners and advertisers. It may not be entirely fair, but that was the decision and that's the only reason it ever became an issue.

Many here on the board, including yours truly, were of the opinion that they knew what they were applying for when they got that licence and they should have to live with the terms of the deal. However, I will acknowledge they do have a point about how those other stations don't entirely live up to serving only their areas of licence, either. 

It was a remarkable and very touchy exchange between the Evanvovs and the CRTC, with the former all but accusing the government agency of trying to drive them out of business in this market. And according to the new frequency exchange request, the company says that could still happen if this latest application is denied.

May 12, 2018 11:34 pm  #10

@irvine.  i think you misunderstand the issues at play here.  everyone in radio has the same rules.  cidc was and is licensed as an orangeville station.  the crtc expects them to be an orangeville centric broadcaster which they have not been for a very long time.

comparing toronto 'out of market' stations from north york or brampton to orangeville is apples to... well.. oranges.

as for who cares.... ask radio listeners in dufferin county what they think of this 'local' radio service.  there is a reason why mbc and bayshore got and get so much support while cidc doesnt make a blip.

May 12, 2018 11:42 pm  #11

splunge wrote:

comparing toronto 'out of market' stations from north york or brampton to orangeville is apples to... well.. oranges.

as for who cares.... ask radio listeners in dufferin county what they think of this 'local' radio service. there is a reason why mbc and bayshore got and get so much support while cidc doesnt make a blip.

So, CFNY, CFMJ etc, are really Toronto stations OR the city of license? Those ARE a valid comparisons, oranges and oranges.

As for "who cares"? Your argument includes the notion that someone listens to a specific radio station exclusively because it is strictly originating from their place of presence is false. I don't see someone from Oshawa listening to that gawd-awful Satan-worshipping Rock station if their musical taste reflects classical.

May 13, 2018 12:01 am  #12

i might invite you to read the crtc definition of a local radio station, followed by the local programming policy.  crtc 2006-158.

your broad stroke sentiment is understandable, but rules is rules. 

May 13, 2018 12:32 am  #13

Irvine wrote:

that almost 100% of the people they're serving won't give a sh*t if Evanov keeps doing what he's doing.  

splunge wrote:

i might invite you to read the crtc definition of a local radio station, followed by the local programming policy.  your broad stroke sentiment is understandable, but rules is rules.  

I understand. But, my issue is the notion that the average listener doesn't care if their station is truly local. Sure, they want local news and weather, but even that, can be obtained elsewhere without having to wait until the top of the hour.

People are in the mood for a format of music (or spoken word) and not exclusively because it originates from just up the street.

May 13, 2018 1:10 am  #14

thanks irvine.  you managed to out do cgrant at his best.  i love having a debate about fact with someone focused on opinion.

have a nice night.  #MAGA

May 13, 2018 10:35 am  #15

It's a very important point to note that places like Brampton are not Toronto.
Weather isn't even the same as in Toronto.
Plus also, areas in and around Brampton are growing rapidly.
Population there is growing. More homes etc.
Brampton should get it's own radio station, maybe even a My FM Brampton, but that's not happening...although I do see that there is now a... http://www.miltonnow.ca/ so yay Milton!  
& yes, people DO want something local to their area still, or at least as close as possible...something that says they're not Toronto when they're not in Toronto.
Good point about format, but at least the good people of Oshawa can choose between rock or oldies. 

Last edited by Radiowiz (May 13, 2018 10:38 am)

May 13, 2018 12:00 pm  #16

Irvine wrote:

Your claim that there are people out there upset because of lack of local radio is absolutely nonsense & only something an aging radio insider or grumpy old man in a seniors home would be concerned with.  I realize as a radio insider you haven't yet accepted the reality that radio is not the primary (or even secondary) source that people go to for news or weather anymore.   

Well, in two sentences, you accurately analysed the majority of posters here. This reminds me of going to the "horse and buggy" forum board and the very same people whining about the car. 

Folks, ask 10 of your circle-of-friends whether they own a radio outside of their car -- I bet you'd be surprised of the answer.

And, in my opinion, do you know who else is at fault for the decline of radio? (No, not the corporate players as are the usual tedious targets here), but the cell operators. They demanded that the FM receiver in mobile phone be deactivated. And, if you actually do want to hear radio on cell (who DOES that), the data rates in Canada are so flippin' prohibitive.

May 13, 2018 12:42 pm  #17

Irvine wrote:

I hear about this "radio app" being pushed by many stations and I wonder why.  The concept of the app & the smart phone is a one touch experience.  I don't go to the Canadian Bank app to get to TD Canada Trust, I go to their app.  It should be the same for radio stations. 

I have mixed feelings on the "radio app". It's an odd duck. While I enjoy the convenience of being able to flip the channel, the same could be done by individual apps. BUT, internal memory of the mobile could be an issue: if the aggregated app is 100+-mb, that's it. But, to have 5-10 individual apps, each at 100mb, it's space better suited to some other app.

That said, what's in it for the stations? They want to send you to the super-app, where their competition is also residing. Now, I am NOT the old-school radio person that believes you should treat your audience like they live in a vacuum and profess: there are no other radio stations, but, with features like "if you like X, then try Y" is far too easy to introduce the audience to the competition.

May 13, 2018 1:03 pm  #18

LOL ... sheesh - I mean, when did I ever say I thought AM Stereo had hope?  LOL.  Merit - yes.  I liked wideband AM because of the 10 K audio response.  It made AM sound more like FM (processing differences aside).  And then throw in stereo encoding, and AM could sound amazing.

But I concur that AM Stereo is dead.  I've never tried to counter that.
(I think Irvine's just having fun at my expense ...lol)

Irvine wrote:

Radio apps with 400 different stations are the modern day equivalent of people who listen to "skip" or think AM stereo still has hope (Hi Jody).  For the rest of us we don't care. 

Last edited by Jody Thornton (May 13, 2018 1:04 pm)

Cheers,
Jody Thornton

May 13, 2018 1:28 pm  #19

Jody Thornton wrote:

LOL ... sheesh - I mean, when did I ever say I thought AM Stereo had hope?  LOL.  Merit - yes.  I liked wideband AM because of the 10 K audio response.  It made AM sound more like FM (processing differences aside).  And then throw in stereo encoding, and AM could sound amazing.

But I concur that AM Stereo is dead.  I've never tried to counter that.
(I think Irvine's just having fun at my expense ...lol)

Irvine wrote:

Radio apps with 400 different stations are the modern day equivalent of people who listen to "skip" or think AM stereo still has hope (Hi Jody).  For the rest of us we don't care. 

I have said it here before. I had a Sony  AM stereo receiver and never managed to get a decent sound from it but this station broadcasts in AM stereo now and may have  mastered it :
540 The Goat

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/

May 13, 2018 8:19 pm  #20

If you haven't seen these pages, you'll probably notice a pattern here...

>> CIDC-FM (Z103.5) is a Rhythmic-Leaning CHR radio station that serves Central Ontario and the Greater Toronto Area in Canada. Although the station is licensed to Orangeville, and still has a transmitter there, its studios are located on Dundas Street West in the Eatonville neighbourhood of Toronto. <<

>> The Orangeville area was struck by a massive F4 tornado on May 31, 1985, and the community felt it did not receive adequate warning. As such, an application was made to the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) for a radio station to serve Orangeville. CRTC approval was given for the station on September 10, 1986.[2] The station's frequency allocation was moved from Guelph to Orangeville to allow for the service. CIDC was launched on May 1, 1987 on 103.5 FM <<

Source: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/CIDC-FM

This page below, all of it, is a good read...
>> On September 10, (1986), Dufferin Communications Inc. was granted a licence for a new FM station at Orangeville. It would operate on a frequency of 103.5 MHz and have an effective radiated power of 50,000 watts. CIDC-FM would be the first local radio service for the region. <<

Source: http://www.broadcasting-history.ca/listing_and_histories/radio/cidc-fm

Last edited by mike marshall (May 13, 2018 8:23 pm)

May 14, 2018 10:53 am  #21

cGrant wrote:

splunge wrote:

as for who cares.... ask radio listeners in dufferin county what they think of this 'local' radio service. there is a reason why mbc and bayshore got and get so much support while cidc doesnt make a blip.

So, CFNY, CFMJ etc, are really Toronto stations OR the city of license? Those ARE a valid comparisons, oranges and oranges.

As for "who cares"? Your argument includes the notion that someone listens to a specific radio station exclusively because it is strictly originating from their place of presence is false. I don't see someone from Oshawa listening to that gawd-awful Satan-worshipping Rock station if their musical taste reflects classical.

Actually, there is a difference as Brampton and North York are both part of the GTA while Orangeville isn't.

May 14, 2018 12:00 pm  #22

The market is defined by the CMA (Stats Can / Numeris) or the 3mV contour which ever is smallest.
From the horse's mouth all 3 Evanov stations are in the Toronto market:
(source CRTC) https://crtc.gc.ca/ownership/eng/toronto.htm

May 14, 2018 12:24 pm  #23

]

Irvine wrote:

And really, why should the commission tell a station what market they can sell advertising in?  If there are 40,000 listeners to Z103 in KW why not sell ads here?  If the local stations protest, well amp it up and work a little harder. 

That's a stronger debate for border radio stations.
101.1 FM in Niagara falls made more money targeting Buffalo area listeners, did they not? 
Chez 106 in Ottawa should be thankful that FOX FM's signal is too weak. 
Remember when Fox flew a plane over Ottawa with a banner than read "Go leafs go listen to CHEZ 106" LOL!!!
Priceless! 
Targeting Cornwall  Ontario would have been smarter though, since that's where the Fox's signal is/was stronger.

May 14, 2018 12:46 pm  #24

Well, folks, you can't have it both ways. Either you fully support the dystopian and draconian mandate of the CRTC or "let 'er rip" and drop their manifesto and let broadcasters do what they want.

Personally, I support the latter. I want less government in my life.

May 14, 2018 1:20 pm  #25

Irvine wrote:

@Mike Marshall

That wiki entry has existed for years and in this whole debate it's a moot point.  For several years I lived in the Rocky Mountains. To say winter is extreme there is an understatement as is any back country risk.  I frequently was delayed by avalanches (up to 4 days) and from heavy pounding snow.  Never once did I rely on FM radio as a source for information. 

It's no different in Orangeville whether you're getting your information from Z103 or My FM.  While Z is live most of the time it's unlikely they have a news team waiting around for another F4 tornado.  And it's likely MY FM is simply voice tracked in the evening so the tornado would hit, kill me & they'd hear of my death on the news the next morning when the station went live.  Assuming it was on the air. 

This is the fallacy of the "it's local" that is often referred to on this forum.  It's not even about being live, it's about having the resources to know *if* there is an emergency.  The only stations that do that would be 680 News or maybe 1010 CFRB.  So having a local station to tell me about a local tornado is a moot point.  That type of system is better suited to the smart phone world just like traffic is.   ""Hey Siri, what's the traffic conditions on the 401 to London" garners me a quicker more accurate answer than even 680 News does. 

The CRTC needs to leave Evanov alone and recognize all that his station HAS did for the industry. It's created decent stable jobs.  It's STUCK to it's format for a quarter century.  Along the way more than a few Cancon acts got their break because they took a chance playing them.  And for a while Z was the ONLY Toronto Top 40 station.  And for a longer while it gave us CHR fans outside of the city something to listen too.  It should be commended and recognized for what it's did for radio, not derided by some civil servant of some angry radio "insider". 

Well said.  CIDC was also always one of those out of the box stations and still is.  People who listen to them dont care where its from.  I grew up with the station in my younger years, and the signal was always an issue in the GTA however was cool to have a station you love pull in the GTA and the cottage.

May 14, 2018 5:23 pm  #26

Irvine wrote:

unlike cGrant I'm perfectly content with a national broadcaster but it should be focused on all things Canadian not classical music or Simpson reruns. 

Well, guess what? That's not going to happen. So, for that reason, I detest Ma Corp. Broadcasting ending reruns of an American cartoon or British hee-haw dentally-challenged soap does, unequivocally, NOT bind this country together.

May 15, 2018 8:22 am  #27

I recall hearing a few years ago that Evanov was approaching debt-laden college radio stations like CIUT offering them cash for a frequency swap.

May 15, 2018 12:36 pm  #28

Where is the link to the application file with all the coverage attachments for their latest request? 

May 15, 2018 12:53 pm  #29

They're located in the part of the CRTC website Applications Open for Comment, which isn't always easy to find. The problem with linking to them is that you have to download a .zip file, so there's no pure page to link to. If you're game to see everything and don't mind putting the file on your phone or PC, here are the direct ways to get both

CIDC Application

CIRR Application

If you have trouble with those, you can find the general page here and scroll down to the two Dufferin Communications applications.  

And by the way, it's worth noting that among all the paperwork is a statement from Brookfield Properties confirming that, should the 103.5 swap be given, space would be available for a transmitter on First Canadian Place, combining with the existing CIRV at 88.9, with Dufferin picking up the tab for any costs incurred.

May 15, 2018 1:47 pm  #30

RadioActive wrote:

They're located in the part of the CRTC website Applications Open for Comment, which isn't always easy to find. The problem with linking to them is that you have to download a .zip file, so there's no pure page to link to. If you're game to see everything and don't mind putting the file on your phone or PC, here are the direct ways to get both

CIDC Application

CIRR Application

If you have trouble with those, you can find the general page here and scroll down to the two Dufferin Communications applications.  

And by the way, it's worth noting that among all the paperwork is a statement from Brookfield Properties confirming that, should the 103.5 swap be given, space would be available for a transmitter on First Canadian Place, combining with the existing CIRV at 88.9, with Dufferin picking up the tab for any costs incurred.

Thanks for posting!

Its funny, because they still go on and on about the condos and their signal downtown 

More particularly, there have been more high-rise condominium projects completed
downtown in every year since 2010 than in any other year since 1990. This condominium construction
boom, that is still apparent in Toronto, has caused the topography and the demographics of the city to
change once again. The result is that CIDC-FM’s signal can no longer be heard clearly in many parts of
the CMA where it was traditionally heard. As a result, listeners who wish to tune the station in their car
to and from work, or at home, or in their new condominium downtown are no longer able, and they
have abandoned the station.