sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 1, 2018 7:29 am  #1

The Motts retire

For all haters of Paul and Carol they have just announced that today is their last day. They are "retiring" to concentrate on the family equestrian business

Last edited by Calhame (April 1, 2018 7:45 am)

April 1, 2018 7:54 am  #2

Re: The Motts retire

I used to listen to The Motts back when they were on 710 CJRN Niagara only, and then they went big-time to 610 CKTB St Catherines.
Enjoy Retirement

April 1, 2018 11:16 am  #3

Heard most of the last hour of their show this morning.

Mike Bendixen & John Moore made the trip out to the Mott's home studio for an in-person on air chat

Nice run -- enjoy retirement!  

April 1, 2018 11:55 am  #4

Toodles to 2 people I NEVER/EVER heard do a radio show.  No offense intended.  That is true of almost everyone who has ever hosted a talk show.  [at least since the days of Larry Solway and John Dolan... ... ...and even then I loathed it...with a passion.]  2 words have always come to mind when it comes to talk shows...and they aren't "Happy motoring."  No...they aren't 'that' either.  They are...in fact...

"S H U T   U P!"

April 1, 2018 7:20 pm  #5

THE best 1-2 punch in talk radio, hands-down, was (the late) John Michael in the mornings followed by the Motts in the aft when they all were on 610 CKTB.  I gladly also tuned in when they were on their predecessor, CJRN 710.  With extreme respect, I rather preferred them in the St. Kitts/Niagara (format) area as opposed to Toronto's clock.

Damn.  I miss the Great John Michael.

April 1, 2018 10:02 pm  #6

unclefester wrote:

Mike Bendixen & John Moore made the trip out to the Mott's home studio for an in-person on air chat

I was just thinking -- did Bendixen pack up the Mott's studio equipment once they signed off?

April 1, 2018 10:20 pm  #7

No idea, but Bendixen did talk about how they were once fired by the former brass at the old 1010 and how unfair he thought it was. Carole Mott briefly recalled that they hired a lawyer and went after the company, although that on-air conversation was cut short. 

April 2, 2018 6:07 am  #8

Aytononline wrote:

Does any one know what Bell will do with this time slot. Will they go back to 3 local shows or keep it as it is now.

Not sure on the GTA vs. other-area shows question, though John Moore on Newstalk 1010 this morning mentioned that it would be announced "this week" who would replace The Motts on-air starting this coming weekend.

April 2, 2018 9:53 am  #9

Announcement will apparently be made on air Wednesday morning. 

April 3, 2018 5:56 pm  #10

I don't know why broadcast media is so addicted to "point/counterpoint" shows featuring a conservative versus someone who is slightly less conservative - covering the entire ideological spectrum from A to B. 

April 3, 2018 6:07 pm  #11

Hansa wrote:

addicted to "point/counterpoint" shows featuring a conservative versus someone who is slightly less conservative - covering the entire ideological spectrum from A to B. 

Yes, The Motts WERE very guilty of this for many, many, MANY years.  It was beyond obvious that Carol would utter, "oh, Paul" as she was going to offer her leftist counterpoint to his hard right-wing stance.  But, in the last couple of years when they went on RB weekends, that seemed to magically disappear.  I'll tell you this: as much as I enjoyed them over the years, those forced point/counterpoints where predictable and tedious.  Thankfully, someone asked them to just be themselves and they were quite pleasurable.

I'll tell you this... if I disagreed with as much as they pretended to, I would have either been divorced or in federal maximum lock-up for murder-one.