Offline
One group thinks so. The Friends of Canadian Media is suggesting certain events are so important to Canada's cultural identity that to take them off so-called "free media" should not be allowed. The campaign has been spurred by the recent announcement that there will no longer be any way to see an NHL game - regular season but especially playoff - without having to fork out a small fortune to a company like Rogers.
As the article below outlines, many countries actually have rules like that in place. And the Friends believe it should apply to the NHL in Canada.
“The issue isn’t whether Rogers has a legal right to negotiate these deals. Of course they do,” (spokesman Raj Shoan) added. “The question is whether Canada’s broadcast policy should continue to guarantee some measure of public access to events that have some sort of cultural value, public value over and above their commercial value.”
If that name sounds even remotely familiar, it's because Shoan was once a controversial CRTC Commissioner, who regularly had disagreements with his fellow members. He believes the government could work out a way that would restore at least some games to free TV, without compromising Rogers ability to sell or keep the rights to whomever it wants.
But they shouldn't shut out Canadians who either won't - or can't - afford to pay some outrageous rates for what they used to get free.
No NHL games on free Canadian TV? This group thinks there should be a law against that
Offline
Yes.
Hockey should be protected.
Same with baceball.
Hockey should have stayed on the CBC, the cbc has national reach.
And instead of rogers, The CBC should have gave the rights to bell, if they want to take hockey off the cbc, if they put it on ctv, they will still get national reach even in some northern communities in ontario.
But, the cbc has the largest reach, so the cbc and rogers should have kepped hockey night in Canada.
Last edited by Scarboroughbluffsradiof99 (September 28, 2026 7:20 pm)
Offline
Scarboroughbluffsradiof99 wrote:
And instead of rogers, The CBC should have gave the rights to bell, if they want to take hockey off the cbc, if they put it on ctv, they will still get national reach even in some northern communities in ontario.
But, the cbc has the largest reach, so the cbc and rogers should have kepped hockey night in Canada.
It wasn't up to the CBC. They essentially "rented" the games from Rogers in a long term agreement that finally ran out. Rogers owns the Leafs and the rights to the games, so they could do what they want. That would never include selling anything to Bell.
Offline

NO
Offline
For the vast majority of viewers, the NHL hasn't been on "free" TV for decades.
Offline
If you can't fully connect to the story, try this link.
Offline
RadioAaron wrote:
For the vast majority of viewers, the NHL hasn't been on "free" TV for decades.
The CBC wasn't free? I'm not sure I understand your logic, unless you're indicating most people were paying for cable to get it. That's the only way it makes sense. But still, if people wanted to get it free, there were ways to do it in most big cities.
Offline
This story focuses on how the move to restrict the NHL to pay-only and its affect on bars and fans. One expert predicts losing Hockey Night In Canada could affect fan bases in future generations.
“This is the type of thing that, 10, 20 years out, you're going to find there's an entire generation of fans who say, ‘The only thing I know about hockey is the 30-second clip that I get on Instagram or on TikTok, and beyond that I don’t really know anything about that,’” (sports economist Moshe) Lander said."
Not sure I entirely buy that conclusion, but if it comes to pass, it's certainly a warning sign for the sport's future. But I doubt the NHL will lose its grip on people, even if you have to pay to watch it - especially if the Leafs finally win something.
Local hockey fans adjust to watching NHL games without Hockey Night in Canada on CBC
Offline
I don't think Rogers should be forced to carry hockey on City TV (since it won't be CBC)
BUT
I do believe that if advertisers want a general viewing audience that might not pay for cable, those advertisers should be respected.
Last edited by Radiowiz (September 29, 2026 9:26 am)
Offline
John Moore and Mark Towhey just discussed this on Moore in the Morning. It seems to be the consensus is that hockey is Canada’s game and therefore we shouldn’t have to pay to watch it.
Rogers just forked out $11B to the NHL to hog hockey, so I wouldn’t bet on them giving anything away for free. Although it sucks, there’s no freebies anymore. The last few years on CBC, I believe, was Rogers weaning us off the Corp for our hockey fix without pissing fans off. I bet they couldn’t wait to drop CBC.
I will continue to watch hockey where I can, but we have decided that we’re not signing up for any new services to watch the Leafs, as we know how that story ends every season. Go Leafs Go!
Last edited by Shorty Wave (Yesterday 10:32 am)
Offline
For better or worse (and I definitely think it's worse) Rogers has snagged the legitimate rights to this property and sadly can charge whatever they think they can siphon out of people's wallets to see it.
Much as it pains me to say it, I cannot see a scenario where any government could usurp those rights with a decree that Canadians should be able to watch it for free. It seems to me that's just not something any ruling body could legally do.
Nice idea, though. Not possible in the real world, until, perhaps the rights come back up again some day.
Offline
RadioActive wrote:
For better or worse (and I definitely think it's worse) Rogers has snagged the legitimate rights to this property and sadly can charge whatever they think they can siphon out of people's wallets to see it.
Much as it pains me to say it, I cannot see a scenario where any government could usurp those rights with a decree that Canadians should be able to watch it for free. It seems to me that's just not something any ruling body could legally do.
Nice idea, though. Not possible in the real world, until, perhaps the rights come back up again some day.
& again, in a world where there is no force to do anything about how hockey airs, what about the advertisers?
Shouldn't they have a say? Maybe they want at least one game a week to air on City TV to reach those who might not be willing to pay for Sportsnet, but still love to watch hockey...
Offline
RadioActive wrote:
Much as it pains me to say it, I cannot see a scenario where any government could usurp those rights with a decree that Canadians should be able to watch it for free. It seems to me that's just not something any ruling body could legally do.
Not quite the same circumstance, but in 1962 the BBG (Board of Broadcast Governors) ordered CBC to carry CTV's otherwise exclusive coverage of the Grey Cup. CTV was a nascent network with coverage limited to a few major cities.
Offline
Only 12% of Canadians watch TV OTA, and it's only been a fraction of available games there for a long time.
Offline
RadioAaron wrote:
Only 12% of Canadians watch TV OTA, and it's only been a fraction of available games there for a long time.
It's closer to 30%. If you're only going by actual TVs that are on, vs number of people in a room watching, I guess you have a point. Many "common room" places using antenna...
Offline
Radiowiz wrote:
RadioAaron wrote:
Only 12% of Canadians watch TV OTA, and it's only been a fraction of available games there for a long time.
It's closer to 30%. If you're only going by actual TVs that are on, vs number of people in a room watching, I guess you have a point. Many "common room" places using antenna...
"Common room" would obviously tilt in the other direction, as bars and pubs are never OTA.
Offline
I assume Rogers customers can get Bruins-Rangers which started at 8pm and then the later game at 10:30 pm? Or do you need Sportsnet+ to get those games. I noticed neither are on the Centre Ice package.
Offline
cash wrote:
I assume Rogers customers can get Bruins-Rangers which started at 8pm and then the later game at 10:30 pm? Or do you need Sportsnet+ to get those games. I noticed neither are on the Centre Ice package.
That's interesting. I thought Centre Ice brought you all out of market games except those that are available on TSN and SNO.
Offline
mace wrote:
cash wrote:
I assume Rogers customers can get Bruins-Rangers which started at 8pm and then the later game at 10:30 pm? Or do you need Sportsnet+ to get those games. I noticed neither are on the Centre Ice package.
That's interesting. I thought Centre Ice brought you all out of market games except those that are available on TSN and SNO.
not anymore it seems
Offline
RadioAaron wrote:
Radiowiz wrote:
RadioAaron wrote:
Only 12% of Canadians watch TV OTA, and it's only been a fraction of available games there for a long time.
It's closer to 30%. If you're only going by actual TVs that are on, vs number of people in a room watching, I guess you have a point. Many "common room" places using antenna...
"Common room" would obviously tilt in the other direction, as bars and pubs are never OTA.
I wasn't talking about a bar or pub. Many common room areas in buildings where people gather around to watch TV but nobody agrees to pay for the cable for that space. It's just an antenna.