sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum


You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 31, 2026 1:04 pm  #1


Another massive mispronunciation

I was watching CTV News at Noon and there was a story about PEI lowering the suggested age for colonoscopies from 50 to 45.

Reporter Maria Sarrouh said people aged between 45 and 50 would be eligible for a free test every two years. Only she didn't say eligible, she said illegible.

The saddest bit is when I went to YouTube to double check what I heard, I saw that the exact report with the exact mistake also played last night,so editors had at least two chances to fix it.

The offending bit is at the :27 mark. I just watched it again and she makes the same mistake at the end of the report.


https://youtu.be/kZM8Bi0RpBw?si=X-0dqEP00noOVLCf

Last edited by Tq345 (March 31, 2026 1:09 pm)

 

April 1, 2026 6:23 am  #2


Re: Another massive mispronunciation

Also speaking of that particular Hyundai vehicle, the Tuscan,  I often hear it called a Tuss cun. It is a two san, like the city in Arizona. 

 

April 1, 2026 12:04 pm  #3


Re: Another massive mispronunciation

It always irked me when I'd hear Hundai salesman Nav Batia deliberately mispronounce the car brand as Hun-dye, so it would rhyme with "I'm your guy."
He eventually stopped doing that but then the rhyme no longer worked.
It sounded absurd that  the man who sells Hundai cars for a living did not seem to know how to pronounce For the record it is HUN-day.  A Korean friend of mine also says Koreans would actually pronounce it HYUN-deh. with the deh part spoken softly.
BTW the word means "modern" in Korean.
.
 

 

April 1, 2026 4:53 pm  #4


Re: Another massive mispronunciation

I grew up in the Windsor area and worked at both Ford and Chrysler and never once there did I hear anyone call it "Cries-ler" yet I hear reporters and anchors say that all the time. It's "Cry-sler"

Last edited by scrand (April 1, 2026 4:55 pm)

 

April 2, 2026 10:14 am  #5


Re: Another massive mispronunciation

As George Springer says " if you pronounce the second "t" people are going to know you are not from this area "! Then why do I still hear so many Toronto broadcasters  mis-pronounce the name of the city  where they work. ?

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/IuKnH3EBtZY

I know I keep harping on this but I cringe when I hear Toron-TOE . 

Last edited by fyshtalk2 (April 2, 2026 10:18 am)

 

April 2, 2026 11:32 am  #6


Re: Another massive mispronunciation

I am used to Trono and Tor-on-o. I heard a new one yesterday from someone doing the top of the hour station ID on CFRB. They referred to the city as Turr-on-o.

 

April 5, 2026 11:11 am  #7


Re: Another massive mispronunciation

On CFRB's Sunday Morning Trivia, I heard host Jason Agnew call the new leader of the NDP "Eh-vee" Lewis. And it wasn't just an accident. He said it the wrong way about five times in a row within a minute, after it came up as one of his questions. 

It is, of course, pronounced Ah-vee, and it's a well enough known name that he should be aware of it by now. 

 

June 11, 2026 9:55 am  #8


Re: Another massive mispronunciation

You can usually tell when a radio person is from Toronto by how they pronounce certain street names. The locals know what they are. The raised-out-of-towners too often don't. 

Which brings us to Thursday morning and the terrible news about a Toronto police officer being shot and rushed to hospital. I heard Greg Brady on AM640 talk about the story several times, telling listeners it happened in the Black Creek and Trethewey area. 

Except he pronounced the name of the latter street as "Treth-Away." The correct way to say it, of course, is Treth-Thoo-Ee (as in "Phooey!")

I believe Brady grew up in London, Ont., but he's been here long enough that he should know the correct way to say it by now.

Ballioil anoyne?

 

June 11, 2026 11:42 am  #9


Re: Another massive mispronunciation

I have lived in London almost the entirety of my life and knew how to pronounce it. 

 

June 11, 2026 12:06 pm  #10


Re: Another massive mispronunciation

Just heard CFTO anchor Nathan Downer say it wrong on the noon news. You might think a producer would make sure everyone knows how to pronounce it properly, because it's just one of those street names that's prone to be said incorrectly. 

Update: he got it right during the 12:30 PM update. Good for him for correcting it. 

Last edited by RadioActive (June 11, 2026 12:41 pm)

 

June 11, 2026 12:47 pm  #11


Re: Another massive mispronunciation

RadioActive wrote:

Except he pronounced the name of the latter street as "Treth-Away." The correct way to say it, of course, is Treth-Thoo-Ee (as in "Phooey!")

There used to be a reporter named Trethewey on Ottawa TV, and when he was on CHRO/The New RO, his last name was pronounced treth-thoo-ee, but on CJOH/CTV, it was always treth-away.

 

June 12, 2026 8:40 am  #12


Re: Another massive mispronunciation

My two favourites are Yun-gee St. and Strach-en Ave. Queens Qwaay is another good one.

 

June 12, 2026 8:44 am  #13


Re: Another massive mispronunciation

mace wrote:

My two favourites are Yun-gee St. and Strach-en Ave. Queens Qwaay is another good one.

Well, at least you can be sure the folks at Corus will never mispronounce "Quay."

 

June 12, 2026 11:02 am  #14


Re: Another massive mispronunciation

One of mine is MAHR-cedes or MUR-cedes.

newsguy1 wrote:

It always irked me when I'd hear Hundai salesman Nav Batia deliberately mispronounce the car brand as Hun-dye, so it would rhyme with "I'm your guy."
He eventually stopped doing that but then the rhyme no longer worked.
It sounded absurd that  the man who sells Hundai cars for a living did not seem to know how to pronounce For the record it is HUN-day.  A Korean friend of mine also says Koreans would actually pronounce it HYUN-deh. with the deh part spoken softly.
BTW the word means "modern" in Korean.
.
 

 


Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.
 
 

July 12, 2026 5:43 am  #15


Re: Another massive mispronunciation

Talk about a disastrous mispronunciation. This took place in 2014 but I’ve never heard of this before now. It happened when China’s President Xi Jinping was in India on a state visit.
 
A female anchor on an Indian TV station saw the name on the TelePrompter and blurted out “Eleven Jinping.” She obviously mistook his name for the Roman numeral for 11, and, perhaps not having had time to go over the copy, accidentally said exactly what she saw.
 
The unfortunate incident cost the lady her job, but I can’t help it – I find this one absolutely hilarious!
 
Reporter fired! 'Eleven Jinping' slip

 

July 16, 2026 12:11 pm  #16


Re: Another massive mispronunciation

This really isn't about mispronouncing words, but it's just too good not to post here. I love some of these.

 

July 17, 2026 6:47 pm  #17


Re: Another massive mispronunciation

RadioActive wrote:

This really isn't about mispronouncing words, but it's just too good not to post here. I love some of these.

 
Thanks for sharing this RA, I got a kick out of those "deafinitions" and have a new brain game trying to come up with new ones....

Margarine-alized: those poor souls who cannot afford real butter

It's not as easy as you'd think I guess. Puns are so much easier.

 

July 17, 2026 8:19 pm  #18


Re: Another massive mispronunciation

betaylored wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

This really isn't about mispronouncing words, but it's just too good not to post here. I love some of these.

 
Thanks for sharing this RA, I got a kick out of those "deafinitions" and have a new brain game trying to come up with new ones....

Margarine-alized: those poor souls who cannot afford real butter

It's not as easy as you'd think I guess. Puns are so much easier.

I think Margarine-alized is great. You should submit it next year. 

 

July 26, 2026 6:35 pm  #19


Re: Another massive mispronunciation

RadioActive wrote:

betaylored wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

This really isn't about mispronouncing words, but it's just too good not to post here. I love some of these.

 
Thanks for sharing this RA, I got a kick out of those "deafinitions" and have a new brain game trying to come up with new ones....

Margarine-alized: those poor souls who cannot afford real butter

It's not as easy as you'd think I guess. Puns are so much easier.

I think Margarine-alized is great. You should submit it next year. 

 
Great idea RA, I'm going to look into this. Thanks!