Offline
I was watching CTV News at Noon and there was a story about PEI lowering the suggested age for colonoscopies from 50 to 45.
Reporter Maria Sarrouh said people aged between 45 and 50 would be eligible for a free test every two years. Only she didn't say eligible, she said illegible.
The saddest bit is when I went to YouTube to double check what I heard, I saw that the exact report with the exact mistake also played last night,so editors had at least two chances to fix it.
The offending bit is at the :27 mark. I just watched it again and she makes the same mistake at the end of the report.
Last edited by Tq345 (March 31, 2026 1:09 pm)
Offline
Also speaking of that particular Hyundai vehicle, the Tuscan, I often hear it called a Tuss cun. It is a two san, like the city in Arizona.
Offline
It always irked me when I'd hear Hundai salesman Nav Batia deliberately mispronounce the car brand as Hun-dye, so it would rhyme with "I'm your guy."
He eventually stopped doing that but then the rhyme no longer worked.
It sounded absurd that the man who sells Hundai cars for a living did not seem to know how to pronounce For the record it is HUN-day. A Korean friend of mine also says Koreans would actually pronounce it HYUN-deh. with the deh part spoken softly.
BTW the word means "modern" in Korean.
.
Offline
I grew up in the Windsor area and worked at both Ford and Chrysler and never once there did I hear anyone call it "Cries-ler" yet I hear reporters and anchors say that all the time. It's "Cry-sler"
Last edited by scrand (April 1, 2026 4:55 pm)
Offline
As George Springer says " if you pronounce the second "t" people are going to know you are not from this area "! Then why do I still hear so many Toronto broadcasters mis-pronounce the name of the city where they work. ?
I know I keep harping on this but I cringe when I hear Toron-TOE .
Last edited by fyshtalk2 (April 2, 2026 10:18 am)
Offline
I am used to Trono and Tor-on-o. I heard a new one yesterday from someone doing the top of the hour station ID on CFRB. They referred to the city as Turr-on-o.
Offline
On CFRB's Sunday Morning Trivia, I heard host Jason Agnew call the new leader of the NDP "Eh-vee" Lewis. And it wasn't just an accident. He said it the wrong way about five times in a row within a minute, after it came up as one of his questions.
It is, of course, pronounced Ah-vee, and it's a well enough known name that he should be aware of it by now.
Offline
You can usually tell when a radio person is from Toronto by how they pronounce certain street names. The locals know what they are. The raised-out-of-towners too often don't.
Which brings us to Thursday morning and the terrible news about a Toronto police officer being shot and rushed to hospital. I heard Greg Brady on AM640 talk about the story several times, telling listeners it happened in the Black Creek and Trethewey area.
Except he pronounced the name of the latter street as "Treth-Away." The correct way to say it, of course, is Treth-Thoo-Ee (as in "Phooey!")
I believe Brady grew up in London, Ont., but he's been here long enough that he should know the correct way to say it by now.
Ballioil anoyne?
Offline
I have lived in London almost the entirety of my life and knew how to pronounce it.
Offline
Just heard CFTO anchor Nathan Downer say it wrong on the noon news. You might think a producer would make sure everyone knows how to pronounce it properly, because it's just one of those street names that's prone to be said incorrectly.
Update: he got it right during the 12:30 PM update. Good for him for correcting it.
Last edited by RadioActive (June 11, 2026 12:41 pm)
Offline
RadioActive wrote:
Except he pronounced the name of the latter street as "Treth-Away." The correct way to say it, of course, is Treth-Thoo-Ee (as in "Phooey!")
There used to be a reporter named Trethewey on Ottawa TV, and when he was on CHRO/The New RO, his last name was pronounced treth-thoo-ee, but on CJOH/CTV, it was always treth-away.
Offline
My two favourites are Yun-gee St. and Strach-en Ave. Queens Qwaay is another good one.
Offline
mace wrote:
My two favourites are Yun-gee St. and Strach-en Ave. Queens Qwaay is another good one.
Well, at least you can be sure the folks at Corus will never mispronounce "Quay."
Offline
One of mine is MAHR-cedes or MUR-cedes.
newsguy1 wrote:
It always irked me when I'd hear Hundai salesman Nav Batia deliberately mispronounce the car brand as Hun-dye, so it would rhyme with "I'm your guy."
He eventually stopped doing that but then the rhyme no longer worked.
It sounded absurd that the man who sells Hundai cars for a living did not seem to know how to pronounce For the record it is HUN-day. A Korean friend of mine also says Koreans would actually pronounce it HYUN-deh. with the deh part spoken softly.
BTW the word means "modern" in Korean.
.
Offline
Talk about a disastrous mispronunciation. This took place in 2014 but I’ve never heard of this before now. It happened when China’s President Xi Jinping was in India on a state visit.
A female anchor on an Indian TV station saw the name on the TelePrompter and blurted out “Eleven Jinping.” She obviously mistook his name for the Roman numeral for 11, and, perhaps not having had time to go over the copy, accidentally said exactly what she saw.
The unfortunate incident cost the lady her job, but I can’t help it – I find this one absolutely hilarious!
Reporter fired! 'Eleven Jinping' slip
Offline
Thanks for sharing this RA, I got a kick out of those "deafinitions" and have a new brain game trying to come up with new ones....
Margarine-alized: those poor souls who cannot afford real butter
It's not as easy as you'd think I guess. Puns are so much easier.
Offline
betaylored wrote:
Thanks for sharing this RA, I got a kick out of those "deafinitions" and have a new brain game trying to come up with new ones....
Margarine-alized: those poor souls who cannot afford real butter
It's not as easy as you'd think I guess. Puns are so much easier.
I think Margarine-alized is great. You should submit it next year.
Offline
RadioActive wrote:
betaylored wrote:
Thanks for sharing this RA, I got a kick out of those "deafinitions" and have a new brain game trying to come up with new ones....
Margarine-alized: those poor souls who cannot afford real butter
It's not as easy as you'd think I guess. Puns are so much easier.I think Margarine-alized is great. You should submit it next year.
Great idea RA, I'm going to look into this. Thanks!