sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 16, 2023 7:07 pm  #121

Re: K-LOVE 102.5 Toronto coming soon...

Whatever you were getting, it wasn't the feed from the now former WTSS. I tuned them in on an actual radio at 102.5 and yep, it's K-LOVE.

Lord help us! 

June 16, 2023 7:31 pm  #122

RadioActive wrote:

Whatever you were getting, it wasn't the feed from the now former WTSS. I tuned them in on an actual radio at 102.5 and yep, it's K-LOVE.
Lord help us! 

https://mytuner-radio.com/radio/wtss-star-1025-fm-394990/
(May need VPN)

Last edited by Radiowiz (June 16, 2023 7:33 pm)

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

June 16, 2023 7:35 pm  #123

Yes, I understand that's what some are hearing online. But tune it in on the radio directly on 102.5 and you will find K-Love. Clearly, for whatever reason, the online sources are either still getting the WKSE feed or haven't made the switch yet. But it's live on the actual over-the-air station. 

June 16, 2023 7:43 pm  #124

RadioActive wrote:

Yes, I understand that's what some are hearing online. But tune it in on the radio directly on 102.5 and you will find K-Love. Clearly, for whatever reason, the online sources are either still getting the WKSE feed or haven't made the switch yet. But it's live on the actual over-the-air station. 

K-Love is a computer at the transmitter. Audacy is still streaming the board feed from the 102.5 studio.

June 16, 2023 8:16 pm  #125

Yes, I understand. But I consider whatever is on the actual over-the-air signal to be the real format and the real station. I'm assuming they'll fix the difference sooner than later. But if not, there are a thousand places to listen to K-Love online if that's what you're looking for. 

Speaking of computers, God, I miss Rock 102!

June 16, 2023 8:22 pm  #126

RadioActive wrote:

Yes, I understand. But I consider whatever is on the actual over-the-air signal to be the real format and the real station. I'm assuming they'll fix the difference sooner than later. But if not, there are a thousand places to listen to K-Love online if that's what you're looking for. 

Speaking of computers, God, I miss Rock 102!

Yep. That stream will stay KISS until Audacy bothers to turn it off. K-LOVE would be a completely different link.

June 16, 2023 8:27 pm  #127

I haven't listened to CCM music in a long time, and after a sample of 102.5 I have to say it's gotten a lot better. Most of it sounds more like modern country-pop than anything.

June 16, 2023 10:27 pm  #128

RadioActive wrote:

I just went down to my car and tuned in 102.5. It is indeed K-Love. What will happen to its original Buffalo home at 89.9?

June 16, 2023 11:19 pm  #129

mace wrote:

I just went down to my car and tuned in 102.5. It is indeed K-Love. What will happen to its original Buffalo home at 89.9?

Both stations will air K Love for now, but 89.9 will become Air1 soon.  (K Love's sister station)

Last edited by Radiowiz (June 16, 2023 11:20 pm)

June 17, 2023 7:40 am  #130

RadioAaron wrote:

K-Love is a computer at the transmitter. Audacy is still streaming the board feed from the 102.5 studio.

Not even a computer at the transmitter site, just an XDS receiver taking the K-Love feed, with the TOH legal ID audio saved in the receiver's local storage and played when the mothership calls for it.

For an example of a newer K-Love install, Mike Fitzpatrick's NECRAT website has some photos of K-Love's Boston area transmitter, WKVB 107.3, the erstwhile WAAF. The facility looks nicely built, with lots of newer gear: https://www.necrat.us/1073worcester.html

Last edited by Forward Power (June 17, 2023 7:42 am)

June 18, 2023 8:09 pm  #131

102.5 has turned off its HD carriers, and now only broadcasting in stereo.  I have noticed an improvement in the stereo signal “locking in”. - in midtown.  Not that I have any interest in listening to the format.

June 19, 2023 11:16 am  #132

tvguy wrote:

102.5 has turned off its HD carriers, and now only broadcasting in stereo.  I have noticed an improvement in the stereo signal “locking in”. - in midtown.  Not that I have any interest in listening to the format.

I noticed this as well... along with some audio processing adjustments.   I'm not sure if they dropped HD for ever, or they are not done getting things setup.   Based on when the switch happened, and some audio level issues still existing, (Over the weekend, they are much quieter than other stations on the dial, which is not normal as they normally are on par)  I'm thinking they put an effort to get KLOVE's main audio on the air, and will address extras in the near future.   EMF isn't against HD as they have history of using it in many other markets. I also wonder if there was some transmitter adjustments made that could have lead to a better "STEREO" lock in Toronto, as I have never experienced analog issues on a HD enabled station.   I have experienced HD lock though from distant stations, so perhaps they could be leaving it off to better serve Toronto?    Only their engineers know/time will tell. 

June 25, 2023 7:12 pm  #133

Star 96.1  WSMX has applied for call sign change to WTSS

June 25, 2023 9:06 pm  #134

The HD is off right now on 102.5 because they don't have the transmitter site fully configured yet. Instead of receiving EMF programming via satellite (which would allow them to bring in the other networks that will run on HD subchannels), they're simply receiving 89.9 over the air until they can get the dish installed.

And 96.1 made the change from WMSX to WTSS at midnight on Wednesday. 

July 5, 2023 9:48 pm  #135

Gave 102.5 a listen earlier today for the first time since the flip.... it sounds like there is a bit of Toronto flavour in the new K-Love.

One of the voices doing the station imaging is none other than Taylor Kaye (CHUM-FM/Bounce Radio). As a fan of her work, it was cool to hear!!!

July 15, 2023 2:07 pm  #136

102.5 Buffalo is off the air (as of this posting) due to "equipment failure".
I have no idea how serious the failure is though, so by the time one reads this, maybe they'll be back on the air?
https://www.klove.com/music/station-finder/stations/WBKV

July 16, 2023 8:26 am  #137

They're back as of Sunday morning.

August 2, 2023 10:01 pm  #138

The Star 102.5 replacement is all religious, normally a format that rates so low and with no commercials, they don't even bother subscribing to a Neilsen service. It's tough to get big numbers for a Christian format.

Which is why this is worthy of note - perhaps the first and only time I've ever seen it happen. A religious station in Ft. Wayne, Indiana, (home of the once legendary WOWO) finished first in the ratings in that city. It seems so unlikely, yet the numbers don't lie.

More on this unusual achievement here. 

August 2, 2023 11:39 pm  #139

RadioActive wrote:

The Star 102.5 replacement is all religious, normally a format that rates so low and with no commercials, they don't even bother subscribing to a Neilsen service. It's tough to get big numbers for a Christian format.

Which is why this is worthy of note - perhaps the first and only time I've ever seen it happen. A religious station in Ft. Wayne, Indiana, (home of the once legendary WOWO) finished first in the ratings in that city. It seems so unlikely, yet the numbers don't lie.

More on this unusual achievement here. 

Being number one is one thing. Actual donations is another thing. 
What if only half that audience (or worse, less) actually donates?

September 23, 2023 3:02 pm  #140

WMJQ, the 100,000 watt Monster station that rocks the docks and shakes the lakes

'Magic 102-5'

that's how I grew up

[img]https://1drv.ms/i/s!AuF8Sd9OzvCbg5oAXaSlHwJVUvLp-w?e=arHBuk[/img]

September 23, 2023 4:16 pm  #141

dmcjeff wrote:

WMJQ, the 100,000 watt Monster station that rocks the docks and shakes the lakes

'Magic 102-5'

that's how I grew up

Yeah I miss that station too. I used to listen to CFTR also, as well as WKSE.

September 24, 2023 10:00 am  #142

There has been a Christian based FM broadcasting out of Barrie for at least 15 years, likely more. They have a repeater in Owen Sound also if I recall correctly. In the early days of their tenure, they aired spoken word shows that also were on the Buffalo station, of which I don't remember the call letters, as well as music. I don't know if that is still the practice. 

September 24, 2023 10:16 am  #143

mic'em wrote:

There has been a Christian based FM broadcasting out of Barrie for at least 15 years, likely more. They have a repeater in Owen Sound also if I recall correctly. In the early days of their tenure, they aired spoken word shows that also were on the Buffalo station, of which I don't remember the call letters, as well as music. I don't know if that is still the practice. 

The Barrie station would be Life 100.3 (CJLF), which launched in 1999 and also has rebroadcasters in Peterborough and Huntsville.

September 25, 2023 11:13 am  #144

what's the 'K' stand for?

Are we really going to see marketing for 'K-love' in bus shelters in the GTA and considering Metro Toronto/GTA's massive population, do we even have a local christian station?  on AM?

How about other religious stations .. islamic, jewish etc, is there any restrictions or regulations on this by the CRTC?
Curious considering Toronto's multiculural make up.

Last edited by dmcjeff (September 25, 2023 11:14 am)

September 25, 2023 12:01 pm  #145

Toronto actually has a Christian Music station - licensed. 105.3.  Don't believe it is operational yet. Application
[list=1]
[*]The Commission has the authority, pursuant to section 9(1) of the Broadcasting Act (the Act), to issue and renew licences for such terms not exceeding seven years and subject to such conditions related to the circumstances of the licensee as it deems appropriate for the implementation of the broadcasting policy set out in section 3(1) of the Act. 
[*]International Harvesters for Christ Evangelistic Association Inc. (International Harvesters) filed an application for a broadcasting licence to operate an English-language specialty (Christian music) FM radio station in Scarborough, Ontario.=12pxFootnote 1 The proposed station would operate at 105.3 MHz (channel 287A1) with an average effective radiated power (ERP) of 89 watts (maximum ERP of 150 watts, directional antenna with an effective height of the antenna above average terrain of 90.7 metres).
[*]International Harvesters is a not-for profit registered charitable corporation controlled by its board of directors. It is the licensee of various English-language specialty (Christian music) radio stations throughout Canada.
[*]The applicant proposed to operate the new station within a specialty Christian music format, and committed to devote, by condition of licence, 95% of the musical selections broadcast each broadcast week to content subcategory 35 (Non-classic religious) musical selections. 
[*]International Harvesters indicated that it would broadcast 126 hours of programming each broadcast week on the proposed station, of which 84 hours would be devoted to local music and spoken word programming. The remaining 42 hours would be devoted to non-local programming in the form of Bible programs to be produced in Canada and intended for numerous Christian stations across the country. It would also broadcast interviews as well as programs offering different views on religion and matters of public concern, featuring teachings from over a dozen world religions, including Buddhism, Judaism and Islam. 
[*]The applicant proposed to devote 40 minutes each broadcast week to news programming, of which 30 minutes would be devoted to local and regional news, five minutes to national news, and five minutes to international news. It further proposed to devote 40 minutes each broadcast week to local weather and traffic reports. In addition, 112 minutes of programming per broadcast week would be devoted to local community announcements, to be provided free of charge, and 100 minutes per broadcast week would be devoted to interviews (conducted over the phone and on-site) with local community leaders, heads of organizations, and singers. 
[*]Finally, International Harvesters committed to make, by condition of licence, a Canadian content development (CCD) contribution of $13,000 over seven broadcast years, to commence in the station’s first year of operations, which would be over and above the basic CCD contributions required pursuant to the Radio Regulations, 1986 (the Regulations). 
[/list]

September 25, 2023 2:20 pm  #146

tvguy wrote:

Toronto actually has a Christian Music station - licensed. 105.3.  Don't believe it is operational yet. Application
[list=1]
[*]The Commission has the authority, pursuant to section 9(1) of the Broadcasting Act (the Act), to issue and renew licences for such terms not exceeding seven years and subject to such conditions related to the circumstances of the licensee as it deems appropriate for the implementation of the broadcasting policy set out in section 3(1) of the Act. 
[*]International Harvesters for Christ Evangelistic Association Inc. (International Harvesters) filed an application for a broadcasting licence to operate an English-language specialty (Christian music) FM radio station in Scarborough, Ontario.=12pxFootnote 1 The proposed station would operate at 105.3 MHz (channel 287A1) with an average effective radiated power (ERP) of 89 watts (maximum ERP of 150 watts, directional antenna with an effective height of the antenna above average terrain of 90.7 metres).
[*]International Harvesters is a not-for profit registered charitable corporation controlled by its board of directors. It is the licensee of various English-language specialty (Christian music) radio stations throughout Canada.
[*]The applicant proposed to operate the new station within a specialty Christian music format, and committed to devote, by condition of licence, 95% of the musical selections broadcast each broadcast week to content subcategory 35 (Non-classic religious) musical selections. 
[*]International Harvesters indicated that it would broadcast 126 hours of programming each broadcast week on the proposed station, of which 84 hours would be devoted to local music and spoken word programming. The remaining 42 hours would be devoted to non-local programming in the form of Bible programs to be produced in Canada and intended for numerous Christian stations across the country. It would also broadcast interviews as well as programs offering different views on religion and matters of public concern, featuring teachings from over a dozen world religions, including Buddhism, Judaism and Islam. 
[*]The applicant proposed to devote 40 minutes each broadcast week to news programming, of which 30 minutes would be devoted to local and regional news, five minutes to national news, and five minutes to international news. It further proposed to devote 40 minutes each broadcast week to local weather and traffic reports. In addition, 112 minutes of programming per broadcast week would be devoted to local community announcements, to be provided free of charge, and 100 minutes per broadcast week would be devoted to interviews (conducted over the phone and on-site) with local community leaders, heads of organizations, and singers. 
[*]Finally, International Harvesters committed to make, by condition of licence, a Canadian content development (CCD) contribution of $13,000 over seven broadcast years, to commence in the station’s first year of operations, which would be over and above the basic CCD contributions required pursuant to the Radio Regulations, 1986 (the Regulations). 
[/list]

105.3 FM has it's complications. I wonder if they'll (also) try to snatch up 103.9 FM now that Proud FM is gone. 
This would strengthen their ability to operate as a Canadian (Toronto) Christian radio station, maybe?
Perhaps giving K love some competition...

September 25, 2023 3:21 pm  #147

use of 103.9 not that simple.  Evanov would have to "consent" in all likelihood.  CIDC has major protection of its 103.5 frequency, relative to 2nd adjacent frequencies.   Evanov was able to "consent" to the use of 103.9, which is 2nd adjacent to 103.5, because it was prepared to accept potential interference from 103.9.

However ISED will not normally grant 3rd party applications for 2nd adjacent frequencies, against the wishes of the incumbent.  There is an exception, which was 98.7 - 2nd adjacent to 99.1 CBLA.   But the federal cabinet intervened in that case, and both stations were co-sited at the same transmitting site - First Canadian Place.    You may observe that there are two other situations of 2nd adjacent usage in Toronto.
The first is 96.7 MHZ used by CFZM.  That was possible because CFMZ (ZoomerMedia) owns both stations.  And, 96.7 is low powered, and transmits from the same antenna site.  Also Durham Radio's 95.9 is 2nd adjacent to ZoomerMedia's 96.3.  But the "synchronous" rebroadcaster for Durham's 95.9 is also co-sited at First Canadian Place, is also low-powered and the parties have "consented" to its operation.   Bottom line, 103.9 would likely need Evanov's consent, and the 2 stations cannot possibly be co-sited.

September 27, 2023 6:08 pm  #148