sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 24, 2019 9:13 am  #1

With the Canadian NHL teams now out, how happy is the CBC/Sportsnet?

All Canadian teams are now eliminated from further Playoff play and it is an all American playoffs now...

How happy are the management/advertising execs at Sportsnet and CBC?  One would believe that this will definitely affect viewership and overall interest in the quest for Lord Stanley's mug!

What is going on in the boardrooms of CBC and Sportsnet now that all Canadian bassed teams are out of the NHL Playoffs?

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

April 24, 2019 10:42 am  #2

Re: With the Canadian NHL teams now out, how happy is the CBC/Sportsnet?

"Canadian bassed teams..."

Ain't that the truth...fishing season is here...

April 24, 2019 11:13 am  #3

Just out of curiosity, does anyone out there have access to the ratings for last night's Leafs and Raptors games? I suspect the Leaf game outdrew the Raptor game by at least a 2 to 1 margin because it was a game 7 for the Leafs and only a clinching series game for the Raptors. The Raptors also turned the game into a blowout rather early. At the local pub watching the game, I noticed four screens had the Leaf game [with sound] and one small screen, normally reserved for CP24, had the Raptors.

April 24, 2019 11:15 am  #4

CBC, I'd wager, is indifferent, as Rogers gets all the revenue earned on games broadcast on its network.

April 24, 2019 11:29 am  #5

mace wrote:

Just out of curiosity, does anyone out there have access to the ratings for last night's Leafs and Raptors games? I suspect the Leaf game outdrew the Raptor game by at least a 2 to 1 margin because it was a game 7 for the Leafs and only a clinching series game for the Raptors. The Raptors also turned the game into a blowout rather early. At the local pub watching the game, I noticed four screens had the Leaf game [with sound] and one small screen, normally reserved for CP24, had the Raptors.

I was hoping to get them to tune into the PEI election returns, but to no avail.

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

April 24, 2019 8:14 pm  #6

This will certainly give me more time to listen to WFIR Roanoke on 960 in the evenings. 

April 24, 2019 9:33 pm  #7

it's not this year's sales revenue that will be the biggest problem.  in most cases, the buys have already been made for all 4 rounds... but imagine being the Rogers sales rep trying to build interest for next-year's playoffs.  tanked ratings this year will limit the rate card for post-season 2020.

based on the performances by the leafs/jets/flames in April 2019, how much confidence will advertisers have in deep playoff buys a year from now?

April 26, 2019 12:26 am  #8

splunge wrote:

it's not this year's sales revenue that will be the biggest problem.  in most cases, the buys have already been made for all 4 rounds... but imagine being the Rogers sales rep trying to build interest for next-year's playoffs.  tanked ratings this year will limit the rate card for post-season 2020.

based on the performances by the leafs/jets/flames in April 2019, how much confidence will advertisers have in deep playoff buys a year from now?

That's not entirely true.  If the ratings fall too far in the next round big national advertisers will sometimes ask for bonus spots on other shows on other Rogers channels to make up the difference in lost viewership from hockey.

May 8, 2019 11:48 am  #9

The numbers are in and they're not good. When a show called "Mary's Kitchen Crush" on CTV outdraws a Stanley Cup playoff game on a weekend, it's a bad sign.

Rogers sings the Blues as hockey hits skids

May 8, 2019 12:03 pm  #10

RadioActive wrote:

The numbers are in and they're not good.  

And with the Blue Jays sucking hind tit this year...

I just laughed out loud as I typed that...

Couldn't happen to a nicer bunch of fellows...