sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 26, 2024 4:19 pm  #1

The One "Show" You Won't Be Able To Avoid On Thursday

Thursday night, the first U.S. Presidential debate takes place in Atlanta and even if you've decided not watch what could be a train wreck. you may not be able to escape it. It originates on CNN and every other cable news network is showing it, too. It's on MSNBC and Fox News down south, with CTV News Channel and CBC News Network following suit in Canada.

Don't have cable? Not a problem. It's going to be shown on every major U.S. network, including NBC, CBS, ABC, Fox and even PBS. Only the CW is ignoring the event. 

And now CFRB has confirmed it's taking the Great Debate, with coverage kicking off at 8 PM. They've advised that Vassy Kapelos will be giving analysis along with a panel of experts, which makes it appear they'll simply be taking the CTV News Channel feed, since Kapelos has already promoed her involvement with the national CTV news network. 

No word on AM640's plans, but I haven't heard them promote anything. 

Interestingly, the main CBC network isn't going to air it, and neither are CTV or Global. That's not surprising, because it's a U.S. political event. But I'm sure the curiosity factor of this circus will attract many Canadian eyeballs just to see what will happen. 

June 26, 2024 4:28 pm  #2

Re: The One "Show" You Won't Be Able To Avoid On Thursday

RadioActive wrote:

I hope they don't carry it. Somebody needs to offer something for the uninterested audience. Just like election night, there never seems to be any other option in traditional media.

June 26, 2024 4:59 pm  #3

Binson Echorec wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

I hope they don't carry it. Somebody needs to offer something for the uninterested audience. Just like election night, there never seems to be any other option in traditional media.

The Canadian broadcast networks are just offering reruns. They're not even showing any movies with commercials or anything worth tuning in for.

CBC - Dragon's Den, Blackberry: The Limited Series
CTV - Young Sheldon, The Big Bang Theory, The Traitors, Children Ruin Everything
Global - The Neighbourhood, Ghosts, Elsbeth, Border Security
Citytv - Hudson & Rex all night

June 26, 2024 5:21 pm  #4

I wonder which network will land David Frum as a commentator.  Frum has been appearing more on CNN of late, as has Brian Stelter who was let go by the network a few years back.  Stelter had been appearing from time to time on both CBC News Network and CTV News Channel since getting the boot, but I have noticed he has been slowly coming back as a pundit with his old employer.

Still lots of options if you don't want to watch the debate or are not into politics.  Jays will be playing the Yankees tomorrow evening.  But for most, the lure of the drama and potential comedy of the debate will be too much to resist. 

The real winner tomorrow evening could very well be CNN.  Lots of exposure for the number 3 US news channel.  If Dana Bash and Jake Tapper handle the debate well, could pay off for them leading up to the election in November. 

June 26, 2024 9:26 pm  #5

deja 💩 all over again

looking forward to hearing the same Cole's Notes opinions the pundits on 1010's roundtables will offer up on Newstalk's Friday morning and afternoon shows

as someone once said, politics can be entertaining but not entertainment, and it's one of the main differences between the U.S. and Canada, south of the border it's covered like a major sport

Last edited by betaylored (June 26, 2024 9:35 pm)

June 26, 2024 10:36 pm  #6

I look forward to the debate with trepidation and optimism.
I don't know if people here have paid attention to Trump's recent rally appearances but they are spectacularly bizarre. By contrast Biden's appearances since his State of the Union victory have been rock steady and consistent.
I can't believe that he has not been prepped for the debate with extreme preparation and strategy.
Whereas Trump is simply out of control.
He cannot be managed, which is why in his recent 34 criminal convictions he was not allowed by his defense team to testify, because as some experts noted, his team understood he cannot help lying, it's just that pathological.
We know that Trump's cult member base can never be moved, but a solid sane Bident performance stacked up against a deranged and delusional Trump just might convince Americans that they simply cannot accept insanity in a president no matter how uninspiring and elderly his opponent might appear.

June 26, 2024 11:26 pm  #7

I'll be avoiding it like the plague.   I hate political debates on TV because there's not much substance and too much theatrics.   Especially with Trump being involved.   It's good that they finally decided to mute the mics when the other guy is talking because it was intolerable last time.

I'll be at the TD Jazz Festival.   It's a 30 minute walk from my house, has great bands and is free!

Last edited by SpinningWheel (June 26, 2024 11:26 pm)

June 27, 2024 5:42 am  #8

I will be watching because I do love a good train wreck.

June 27, 2024 7:17 am  #9

I likely won't watch the whole debate but will watch the analysis after.  For the recap of how Biden and Trump did I will likely flip around a bit.  Often CNN's pundits are too one sided.  CBC News Network is usually more balanced and their representatives from the Republican and Democratic party more sane and not as confrontational with each other.  Maybe they behave better on a foreign network?

June 27, 2024 8:57 am  #10

paterson1 wrote:

I likely won't watch the whole debate but will watch the analysis after.  For the recap of how Biden and Trump did I will likely flip around a bit.  Often CNN's pundits are too one sided.  CBC News Network is usually more balanced and their representatives from the Republican and Democratic party more sane and not as confrontational with each other.  Maybe they behave better on a foreign network?

It's almost like comparing American and non-American coverage of the start of the Iraq war in 2003. I remember seeing some of the U.S. networks' reporting, and then flipping to the BBC's coverage and noticing that the Beeb had a much different perspective.

June 27, 2024 12:25 pm  #11

Maybe I'll just watch some episodes of The West Wing off my Plex server...

June 27, 2024 4:44 pm  #12

This clip of the U.S. debate with the two politicians morphed back into kids is a hoot.

https://x.com/JerasIkehorn/status/1806258127995572364?t=kraXAlLdxW5eKWevJasGOA&s=19

I'm going to do a riff on pinto's idea and watch The Newsroom. On DVD (going old school)

Last edited by betaylored (June 27, 2024 4:45 pm)

June 27, 2024 5:23 pm  #13

Spider-Man cartoons out trump this 😊

June 27, 2024 5:37 pm  #14

My dream, wholly improbable of course, is that no one watches, the ratings tank spectacularly, and the parties are forced to hold fresh conventions. The whole thing reminds me of cartoon - I can't recall the name - where both candidates turn out to be aliens from the same planet, on the same mission...

June 27, 2024 7:16 pm  #15

Saul wrote:

My dream, wholly improbable of course, is that no one watches, the ratings tank spectacularly, and the parties are forced to hold fresh conventions. The whole thing reminds me of cartoon - I can't recall the name - where both candidates turn out to be aliens from the same planet, on the same mission...

You must be thinking of Kodos and Kang spoofing the 1996 Clinton-Dole election on The Simpsons.

June 27, 2024 7:17 pm  #16

The Simpsons - Kang and Kudos as Bill Clinton and Bob Dole.

"It's true we are aliens. But what are you going to do about it? It's a two party system."

Last edited by BowmanvilleBob (June 27, 2024 7:17 pm)

June 27, 2024 7:22 pm  #17

BB and NW are correct, that's it for sure.

June 27, 2024 7:34 pm  #18

June 27, 2024 8:55 pm  #19

I am impressed.  Vassey Kapelos has a pre- debate program on CTV News Channel with various commentators.  Right now she has both David Frum and former CNN host Brian Stelter on. . Both will also be on with her after the debate.
Nicely played.   

Last edited by paterson1 (June 27, 2024 8:57 pm)

June 27, 2024 9:44 pm  #20

Not sure if Canadians can see this, but Jon Stewart will be doing a live show immediately after the debate ends. 

Jon Stewart hosts 'The Daily Show' live after presidential debate

June 28, 2024 8:43 am  #21

Easy highlight of the pre-show: US journalist Wyatt Sharpe. I saw him on with CBC's Travis Dhanraj.

Wyatt is a 15-year old political whiz with his own YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEI-thoRF6_EGuhc_1eMQYw

I've seen less polished 30- and 40-year broadcasters.

Last edited by Binson Echorec (June 28, 2024 8:46 am)