sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 28, 2024 5:05 pm  #1

Former radio host Jamil Jivani seeking Federal seat in byelection

Jamil Jivani is running for the Conservatives in the byelection in Durham, to fill former Conservative leader Erin O'Toole's seat.

More from CBC News: https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/durham-byelection-called-1.7097055

January 28, 2024 5:27 pm  #2

Re: Former radio host Jamil Jivani seeking Federal seat in byelection

i hope he has lots of staff to do all his work for him.
ugh.

Brad wrote:

Jamil Jivani is running for the Conservatives in the byelection in Durham, to fill former Conservative leader Erin O'Toole's seat.

More from CBC News: https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/durham-byelection-called-1.7097055

January 28, 2024 5:39 pm  #3

He'll probably win - but I suspect Poilievre will end up finding Jivani to be a pain in the caucus.

January 28, 2024 9:49 pm  #4

I  find Jamil to be refreshing, he may bring in the 20 somethings vote and or attract the 30+ year olds too.

He has beat cancer, works hard and is an average guy, going through the challenges many people (36) his age are experiencing. 

Here is a link to a Toronto Sun video, that features Jamil, sharing his background and why he feels he will be a good fit as MP in Durham. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiUBaoXWv6A

This might shift your viewpoints on Jamil. I wish him luck.

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

January 29, 2024 11:52 am  #5

most likely when he pulls the im not deputy leader and we 'all' know why card.

Hansa wrote:

He'll probably win - but I suspect Poilievre will end up finding Jivani to be a pain in the caucus.

January 29, 2024 2:26 pm  #6

I didn't mind him on Newstalk 1010, and read a few of his pieces in the National Post.  He isn't really that well known but will be interesting to see how he does whenever the election is.  He definately will get underneath the skin of the Liberals and NDP during the campaign. 

Last edited by paterson1 (January 29, 2024 2:27 pm)

January 29, 2024 2:57 pm  #7

The by-election has just been called - it'll be on March 4. 

January 29, 2024 3:11 pm  #8

I have a source at 1010 who says he was not well liked there. Apparently, he did almost no pre-show prep and was difficult to get along with. He'll need people skills if he's going to throw his hat in the ring. 

January 29, 2024 5:35 pm  #9

RA you have given us this information twice before. If the source of opprobrium is Mark Tang, then it's easily attributed to politics and animus.
Attentive listeners can tell if a host is tap dancing thru a segment, and I never got that impression with Jivani. I heard a thoughtful person.
So what does 'show-prep' mean here. Topic background? Promo announcing? Timing?

January 29, 2024 5:42 pm  #10

I obviously cannot reveal my source, but I have never met Mr. Tang nor is he part of this. I can say it's someone who would be in a position to know and leave it at that.

It might surprise you to hear that I always enjoyed Mr. Jivani when he was doing his show and so when I heard this info, I was very surprised. But if true, it does explain why his tenure at the place was so short, and he never really landed at any other station. 

That said, I think he has a pretty good chance of winning the riding, based on his experience.

January 29, 2024 5:48 pm  #11

RadioActive wrote:

I obviously cannot reveal my source, but I have never met Mr. Tang nor is he part of this. I can say it's someone who would be in a position to know and leave it at that.

It might surprise you to hear that I always enjoyed Mr. Jivani when he was doing his show and so when I heard this info, I was very surprised. But if true, it does explain why his tenure at the place was so short, and he never really landed at any other station. 

That said, I think he has a pretty good chance of winning the riding, based on his experience.

Let’s be real: he has a pretty good chance of winning that riding because he’s the conservative running in that riding.

Unless a candidate is a stand out (for better or worse) in a close riding, the next election isn’t anything but a referendum on Trudeau.

January 29, 2024 5:54 pm  #12

Yes, but his exposure on media outlets like CFRB and in newspaper columns can't hurt. A known name sells better than an unknown, even in a riding where one party is more popular than another.

He's been in the media for a few years. That will only help him. An incumbent (which he's not) often wins because it's the only name some voters recognize. There's good reason to believe that could happen here. And his party affiliation in Durham won't hurt him, either. 

January 29, 2024 6:04 pm  #13

A few newspaper columns and a late night show on CFRB does not make anyone well-known.

The conservatives need more diversity if they’re going to win in the long term. If someone comes along who can help that, you run them in a safe riding.

That’s the extent of vetting the conservatives have put into this.

January 29, 2024 6:09 pm  #14

Javani is a parachute candidate who has never lived in the riding and has little knowledge of local issues. His campaign is based on focus-group tested hashtags like "powerful paycheques" and "axe the tax" but with no substantive policy initiatives. 

A look at the statement of defence put forward by Bellmedia in response to Jivani's lawsuit last year is illuminating to say the least.

A quick glance at Bellmedia's statement of defence in response to Javani's lawsuit of last year paints a revealing picture.

Last edited by BowmanvilleBob (January 29, 2024 6:11 pm)

January 29, 2024 7:41 pm  #15

Jivani couldn't be discribed as a parachute candidate since he lives in Oshawa and the Durham riding includes a northern portion of Oshawa. So more of an assumption rather than fact that he has little knowledge of the riding and local concerns.

If he is difficult then he won't move up within the party or possibly continue as a tory.  Conservative, Liberal, NDP all expect their members of parliament or candidates to follow party policy and positions on issues.  

January 29, 2024 8:50 pm  #16

I've seen no evidence that he actually "lives" in Oshawa. It's worth noting that the former MP moved his family to Ottawa before he became the OLO and rented a patch of land in Durham to maintain his residency. I'd invite you to check out Javani's website and tell me what specific initiatives he's proposed for Durham that are not Con cookie-cutter solutions.
As for the desire to "move up", the Conservatives have a history of quiet support for people like Cheryl Gallant, Michelle Ferreri and Michael Cooper who will never get to the front benches, but keep their seats because they keep the so-cons in their ridings happy. Who needs a Opposition Critic role when you're already getting a $174,000 a year gig with expenses? It's the perfect grift.

January 29, 2024 9:36 pm  #17

Wiki says he lives with his wife in Oshawa.  If that is wrong take it up with them.  You sure don't seem to like this guy.  I didn't hear him often on 1010 but I thought he was a nice change from their other conservative hosts. Much more positive overall. 

In terms of all of your other comments...too political for a non political site don't you think?

January 30, 2024 8:01 am  #18

Wow, if it's on Wikipedia, I guess it must be true, right?
I dislike what this guy is peddling with his anti-vax and anti-LGBTQ views. Elections have consequences, something we who live in Durham know all too well.
As for my other comments, if you don't like them, feel free to scroll on by. Capisce?

January 30, 2024 12:03 pm  #19

Looking at the edit history for his Wiki page, the Oshawa reference was added on 7 August 2023 by a user named 'Hiyournameis'.

Looking at the history of this user's edits on Wikiwould indicate they are either a political savant or a paid operative. Who knows, could be the fella himself.

January 30, 2024 5:11 pm  #20

The Oshawa reference on wiki was added on Aug 7/23 but came from a National post article ( Alleging Fired From Bell For Not Fitting Black Stereotype) dated September 2/22.  So Bowmanville Bob's comment about Jivani being a parachute candidate is incorrect.  Bob would also have no knowledge if the candidate had a poor grasp of local issues. 

Me or anyone else scolling down about other political comments we don't like is not the point.  There are many other sites to vent regarding politics or a politician you dislike.  Supposedly this normally isn't one of them.

Last edited by paterson1 (January 30, 2024 5:19 pm)

January 30, 2024 5:15 pm  #21

paterson1 wrote:

There are many other sites to vent regarding politics or a politician you dislike.  Supposedly this normally isn't one of them. 

Good point p1, and it's one all of us (including yours truly) need to be reminded of a lot more often. 

January 30, 2024 8:37 pm  #22

You'll note, of course, that any references to Javani's Oshawa residency fail to disclose whether he actually lives within the borders of Durham riding. But this is the type of thing we're accustomed to with our local Conservatives. The former MP tried to brush up his "working man" cred by pointing to the time his father worked at General Motors. While that's true, it also failed to mention that he also served as mayor of Clarington, followed by almost 20 years of being a well-paid backbench MPP for the PCO.

Unlike P1 and our moderator, those of us who live in Clarington/Courtice area have already been hit with waves of Javani advertising and even door-knocking events by the local federal Tories. The ads, which have been stuffed into our mailboxes and under our doors, are a hodgepodge of catchphrases like "powerful paycheques" and "axe the tax" but make no mention of any substantive solutions the candidate actually proposes for local concerns. Check out Javani's website. Tell me if you see a single campaign promise that actually relates to Durham riding's housing crisis, or the lack of access to family doctors or the growing issues of homelessness and drug addiction. I'll wait.

Finally, this whole nonsense of "this site doesn't do politics" is completely undermined by the overexposure to the antics of two low-rated right of center radio stations and regular posting of articles from two newspapers that abandoned any pretense of objectivity years ago in favour of right-wing clickbait. This, coupled with regular CBC-bashing by some posters, makes any claim to neutrality look extremely foolish.

January 30, 2024 9:00 pm  #23

Well, I have to take issue with that last part. I'd say a good 90% of the links to newspapers on this site come from either The Toronto Star or The Canadian Press - hardly bastions of Conservative thought. Most are radio related sites, like Inside Radio or RadioInk.

The fact that Jivani had a radio background is the only thing about this topic that makes it fit for the board. 

His position on issues or his support for one party over another has nothing at all to do with the subject of radio otherwise and that's why it should not be here. I've let this thing go on only because it seemed civil. It does not appear that's the case anymore and I've noticed that both sides go to the extreme with whatever their issues are. 

The fact I happen to be a fan of talk radio and the only two full time talk radio stations in Toronto lean to the right on occasion (although I don't think you can call John Moore, Vassy Kapelos or Ben O'Hara-Byrne right wing) means that those are the stations I feel comfortable posting about because I've heard what's going on with them.

I would encourage anyone to put up news or opinions about CHUM-FM, CHFI, KISS-FM or any other station you'd like. But no one ever seems to, either because they don't make news or they don't listen to them. 

And no, I'm not a fan of the CBC but as they say, that doesn't make me a terrible person. I frequently post non-critical news about Canada's national broadcaster on the site without comment, including recent stories on Claude Feig returning to the airwaves there, some CBC programming changes, a preview of an upcoming Son Of A Critch shownews of a recent management change and a praiseworthy review of a Gordon Lightfoot documentary on Gem. There are five examples just from this month alone, not one of which implied any criticism of the Corp. or its existence. 

Now who's taking liberties?

I have no agenda here left or right or middle. I want to talk about radio and TV here. Not Justin or Pierre or Jagmeet or any of those people or their parties. There is no satisfying anyone when these topics come up, so unless it's legislation like Bill C-11 or C-18 that directly affect broadcasting, I would like to leave this for some other sites. And God knows, there are plenty of those.

Hopefully, with that said, we can now return you to your regular SOWNY programming, already in progress.