sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 1, 2024 4:00 pm  #1

Gordon Lightfoot Documentary Is Riveting. See It Free If You Missed It

I was only a so-so fan when it came to Gordon Lightfoot but I was still interested in his story. So when I discovered way too late that YesTV, of all places, was showing "If You Could Read My Mind," the documentary based on his life, I tuned in the last half hour. (It was on New Year's Eve night but I missed the listing.)

I have to say the part I saw, which was about the latter part of his career, was quite engrossing. Among the revelations I never knew: The version of The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald heard on the radio, arguably his biggest hit ever, was the very first take of the tune they put on tape in the recording studio. 

Musicians who played on the track admitted they did a number of versions, but there was something about that first virtually unrehearsed one that was just perfect - and try as they might, they couldn't improve on it. So though it almost never happens, that first take was the one that became famous. 

The film was made in 2019, just four years before Lightfoot passed in 2023. 

In any event, I would like to see the whole thing. And on a hunch, I found that I - and everyone else - can see it for free online. It's on CBC Gem and although you may have to sign up with that website, it won't cost you anything. From the part of it I saw, it looks really worthwhile. (Just make sure your VPN, if you're using one, is set to Canada.)

Find it here. 

January 2, 2024 8:51 am  #2

Re: Gordon Lightfoot Documentary Is Riveting. See It Free If You Missed It

I worked on a promo for this doc a couple of years ago and yes RA, it is a worthwhile watch. I especially enjoyed the vintage performance footage shot in Yorkville in the 60’s and Lightfoot generally reflecting on his career, watch it!

January 2, 2024 10:08 am  #3

A recording of Lightfoot singing a Christmas hymn at 12 years old was recently discovered in the church in Orillia that he was a choirboy at. https://barrie.ctvnews.ca/st-paul-s-church-unveils-rare-childhood-recordings-of-gordon-lightfoot-singing-christmas-carol-1.6697852

January 2, 2024 10:43 am  #4

Gord's documentary was also on The Documentary Channel yesterday.  Actually they had a full day of music profiles with Anne Murray, Carole King Live from Central Park, Charley Pride, Randy Bachman, Doug and The Slugs. 

This is a sometimes interesting channel with some rare docs.  Today they have one on a a 60's and 70's wrestling veteran with Sweet Daddy Siki, Margaret Atwood and Dr. Ruth.   

January 2, 2024 2:20 pm  #5

RadioActive wrote:

I was only a so-so fan when it came to Gordon Lightfoot but I was still interested in his story. So when I discovered way too late that YesTV, of all places, was showing "If You Could Read My Mind," the documentary based on his life, I tuned in the last half hour. (It was on New Year's Eve night but I missed the listing.)

I have to say the part I saw, which was about the latter part of his career, was quite engrossing. Among the revelations I never knew: The version of The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald heard on the radio, arguably his biggest hit ever, was the very first take of the tune they put on tape in the recording studio. 

Musicians who played on the track admitted they did a number of versions, but there was something about that first virtually unrehearsed one that was just perfect - and try as they might, they couldn't improve on it. So though it almost never happens, that first take was the one that became famous. 

The film was made in 2019, just four years before Lightfoot passed in 2023. 

In any event, I would like to see the whole thing. And on a hunch, I found that I - and everyone else - can see it for free online. It's on CBC Gem and although you may have to sign up with that website, it won't cost you anything. From the part of it I saw, it looks really worthwhile. (Just make sure your VPN, if you're using one, is set to Canada.)

Find it here. 

It is being re-run on CBC's Documentary Channel (Rogers 258 I believe) Sunday at 6 a.m.

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

January 3, 2024 12:15 pm  #6

This is a well-researched, very entertaining look back at the stellar career and complicated life of one of Canada's best.

Don't miss it.

January 3, 2024 12:33 pm  #7

paterson1 wrote:

Gord's documentary was also on The Documentary Channel yesterday.  Actually they had a full day of music profiles with Anne Murray, Carole King Live from Central Park, Charley Pride, Randy Bachman, Doug and The Slugs. 

This is a sometimes interesting channel with some rare docs.  Today they have one on a a 60's and 70's wrestling veteran with Sweet Daddy Siki, Margaret Atwood and Dr. Ruth.   

Most (but not all) of the docs you listed are on the CBC Gem site, without commercials. So if you don't have access to this channel or simply missed them, you can find them there for free.

January 7, 2024 4:36 pm  #8

Just watched the Lightfoot doc and it was amazing, Lots of great archival footage.

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram