sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 10, 2024 8:32 am  #1

CBC Radio 1 Announces Some Programming Changes

In some cases, the changes are just time shifts. But at least one is a brand new show that will bring call-in talk to Saturday afternoons.

Among the time shifts, the long running Saturday comedy show The Debaters is heading to a new 1 PM timeslot, with the medical program White Coat, Black Art immediately following, effectively switching places.

They're starting an afternoon live call in show called "Just Asking" that will air Saturdays at 5PM. 

But perhaps the biggest change is also the oddest. Beginning Jan. 29th, they're changing the name of the long running "The World At Six" newscast to "Your World Today." No explanation for why something so highly branded is being altered. 

All the changes are outlined here.

January 10, 2024 9:43 am  #2

Re: CBC Radio 1 Announces Some Programming Changes

Speaking of the CBC, this doesn't happen too often. (Does not seem to be affecting Toronto but this article comes from London)

Can't hear CBC on the radio? Country-wide technical issues hit broadcaster

January 10, 2024 9:43 am  #3

RadioActive wrote:

But perhaps the biggest change is also the oddest. Beginning Jan. 29th, they're changing the name of the long running "The World At Six" newscast to "Your World Today." No explanation for why something so highly branded is being altered. 

Podcasts.

January 10, 2024 10:00 am  #4

...and on Facebook, an Algonquin College professor has turned these tech issues, which are also affecting Ottawa's CBO-FM 91.5 (One) and CBOQ-FM 103.3 (Music), into a great big left vs right/right vs left political debate. There is no need to bring partisan politics into a matter of technical issues, CBC or otherwise... just stop it and grow up.

Last edited by Forward Power (January 10, 2024 10:00 am)

January 10, 2024 10:14 am  #5

RadioAaron wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

Podcasts.

Fair enough, but which podcast is it now? The world at noon or 6 or 11 or hourly? OR WHAT??? 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

January 10, 2024 10:28 am  #6

Radiowiz wrote:

RadioAaron wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

Podcasts.

Fair enough, but which podcast is it now? The world at noon or 6 or 11 or hourly? OR WHAT??? 

This Hour, Today, This Weekend.

January 12, 2024 2:58 pm  #7

Exactly. If you subscribe to the World at Six podcast, the last episode of the day is delivered at 9:30 PM Eastern.

January 29, 2024 6:41 pm  #8

RadioActive wrote:

Beginning Jan. 29th, they're changing the name of the long running "The World At Six" newscast to "Your World Today"...

This starts as of tonight.

CBC rebrands flagship evening radio newscast as ‘Your World Tonight'

January 29, 2024 10:50 pm  #9

I question the thought process of saying "Tonight on the podcast" on a program where the radio listenership is likely much larger than the podcast.  Why not just keep saying "Tonight on the program?"  
On TV they're teasing shows as being on CBC Gem and not mentioning CBC Television at all.  Are they considering themselves to be a podcaster and no longer a broadcaster?

January 29, 2024 11:00 pm  #10

Tomas Barlow wrote:

I question the thought process of saying "Tonight on the podcast" on a program where the radio listenership is likely much larger than the podcast.  Why not just keep saying "Tonight on the program?"  
On TV they're teasing shows as being on CBC Gem and not mentioning CBC Television at all.  Are they considering themselves to be a podcaster and no longer a broadcaster?

I'm on the fence on this one. While you're certainly right about where the bulk of the listeners are, it may make sense to train listeners to think about the shows differently.

Are they podcasts of radio shows, or podcasts being broadcast on the radio? The semantics don't matter, but one is definitely more forward-thinking from a marketing POV.

February 7, 2024 11:25 pm  #11

I have to post a correction.
I try not to offer an opinion on something unless I know all of the facts.

I took a listen to Radio One tonight and they do a completely different version of the show for radio than they do for the podcast.
On the radio it sounds the same as it always has other than the title. The podcast now has different theme music and is completely separate from the radio show.
The podcast just used to be an mp3 of the radio show.

February 22, 2024 2:07 pm  #12

RadioActive wrote:

They're starting an afternoon live call in show called "Just Asking" that will air Saturdays at 5PM. 

Here's more information on the new call-in show and its focus.

CBC Radio introducing new live Saturday afternoon call-in show

February 22, 2024 2:23 pm  #13

A 1 hour national call-in talk show.  What's the point?
Unless it is bumping Saturday Night Blues with Holger Peterson it has only 1 hour available.

February 23, 2024 11:21 am  #14

67GreenRambler wrote:

A 1 hour national call-in talk show. What's the point?
Unless it is bumping Saturday Night Blues with Holger Peterson it has only 1 hour available.

The host tries to explain the point, although I'm entirely sure how successful she is.

Got a question? Saroja Coelho, host of CBC Radio's new show Just Asking, wants to help get you answers

February 23, 2024 4:41 pm  #15

I mixed up Radio 1 and 2. Got a little defensive with the possibility of any program change to a longstanding listening habit. Like many I've been loyal to SNB since year one. (and up until 5 years ago it was carried on both networks)