sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 26, 2023 11:31 pm  #1

Non-Christmas Music

Over the years several non-Christmas songs have found their way into radio's Christmas music repertoire. Songs like Pachelbel Canon, Baby it's Cold Outside, My Favourite Things (from Sound of Music), I've Got Your Love to Keep Me Warm.

Any others?

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

November 26, 2023 11:40 pm  #2

Re: Non-Christmas Music

It drives me crazy when they play Jim Croce's "It Doesn't Have To Be That Way" at this time of year. The lyrics mention "crowded stores, the corner Santa Claus," to set the scene that it takes place in the winter. But otherwise, it has nothing whatsoever to do with Christmas or the holidays. 

On the plus side, I suppose, is it gets played at all, because it was never a hit when it was released on his Life & Times LP - and in fact, was the B-side to "One Less Set Of Footsteps."

November 26, 2023 11:44 pm  #3

Gordon's Lightfoot's "Song for a winter night" comes to mind.

November 26, 2023 11:54 pm  #4

According to Wikipedia, "Greensleeves" is an English folk tune written in the 1500's. The original song actually had lyrics, which were interpreted by some to be about a promiscuous woman, possibly a prostitute (hence the "green sleeves" on her gown from rolling around in the grass).

The song was given a new set of lyrics in 1865 by William Chatterton Dix, and became the popular Christmas carol that we all know today, "What Child is This?"

PJ

ClassicHitsOnline.com...The place where all the cool tunes hang out!

November 27, 2023 12:00 am  #5

Greensleeves always conjures up for me, the image of a kid wiping his snotty nose on his sleeve.

November 27, 2023 12:37 am  #6

Northern Lights- Tears Are Not Enough and USA for Africa- We Are The World both get airplay this time of year.  Let It Snow,  Winter Wonderland, Wasn't That A Party and Eve Maria technically aren't Christmas specific but get lots of airplay right now.    

November 27, 2023 12:41 am  #7

Someone on CBC called Leonard Cohen’s Hallelujah (performed by a local musician on their show) a “seasonal song” and it just made me cringe.

The song is beautiful, but it’s NOT a Christmas song.

Last edited by ED1 (November 27, 2023 12:41 am)

November 27, 2023 9:27 am  #8

Where's the Chanukah music?

November 27, 2023 10:17 am  #9

This album is a preferred alternative in our household to most of the uninspiring Christmas music released in the last 50 years.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Du-xTAmMKH0 Thank you Bob Rivers!

November 27, 2023 10:47 am  #10

Joni Mitchell's River-to the point where when I hear it outside of the Christmas season it bothers me! Also, I forget which station it was-might've been the now defunct Star 102, but they played Michael Buble's "Home"-kind of a stretch eh?

November 27, 2023 12:46 pm  #11

I often wonder how winter songs like Jingle Bells and Frosty the Snowman became Christmas songs.  South of the equator, they wouldn't work at all.
On the other hand, I would not want to be programming music for an all-Christmas radio station.

November 27, 2023 9:10 pm  #12

I hate Christmas music, holiday-related or not.

November 27, 2023 11:16 pm  #13

Walter wrote:

I hate Christmas music, holiday-related or not.

I like Christmas music (at Christmas time). Not six weeks before.

November 30, 2023 10:59 pm  #14

While there is no mention of Christmas, these two songs seemed to have crossed over and can be heard in the UK during Christmas season:

Aled Jones - Walking in the air
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQt6NmOKzYw&pp=ygUdYWxlZCBqb25lcyB3YWxraW5nIGluIHRoZSBhaXI%3D

East 17 - Stay another day
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wNhdjoF-6M&pp=ygUYZWFzdCAxNyBzdGF5IGFub3RoZXIgZGF5

November 30, 2023 11:10 pm  #15

Norman peters wrote:

This album is a preferred alternative in our household to most of the uninspiring Christmas music released in the last 50 years.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Du-xTAmMKH0 Thank you Bob Rivers!

Hmm.. Christmas sabbath.  There's apparently a matching festive sweater for that:

https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/1570756228/black-sabbath-band-3d-ugly-sweaterblack

December 1, 2023 10:43 am  #16

Norman peters wrote:

With the exception of the "Peanuts" Christmas album, The Twelve Pains of Christmas is my favourite. It gives the finger to the CHFI's of the world.

December 1, 2023 11:15 am  #17

I have noticed more stations this year mixing in some Christmas music with the regular playlist.  This is what was done normally years ago before the ALL CHRISTMAS stations took over.  The stations that mix in the seasonal tunes will increase the amount as we get closer to the big day.  

December 1, 2023 12:14 pm  #18

paterson1 wrote:

I have noticed more stations this year mixing in some Christmas music with the regular playlist.  This is what was done normally years ago before the ALL CHRISTMAS stations took over.  The stations that mix in the seasonal tunes will increase the amount as we get closer to the big day.  

When I worked for a few stations years ago on-air, we’d start Christmas music mixed in with regular Dec 1.   We’d have a schedule starting with one song per hour then increase once a week to start and then every few days till we get to Christmas Day when we are 100% Christmas.      This was late 80’s and 90’s when there wasn’t a lot of current Christmas music.   Now, it’s easier to program 100% Christmas since there’s a lot of artists putting out Christmas albums.      Thank goodness the album project “A Very Special Christmas” in 1987 kicked off the novice idea of current artists taking on classic Christmas music then eventually artists and writers were composing new Christmas songs.      We would decrease seasonal music on Dec 26 & 27.   Notice I said seasonal music.  We would only play winter-themed songs after Christmas because Santa Claus had already come to town so any Santa songs would not be played on Boxing Day and the 27th.  After the 27th we would go back to our regular format as listeners are then thinking New Year’s Eve.

I’m glad the all-Christmas format always gets 98.1 CHFI the #1 spot here in Toronto!   They go all-Christmas in late November and go right through till Dec 31.   Glad the Christmas format is usually a #1 format in North America.

Last edited by djwildbill (December 1, 2023 12:42 pm)

December 5, 2023 3:32 pm  #19

just came across this today... it has a certain bah humbug appeal that may come in handy in select social situations during the Christmas season and maybe as a quick clip on-air during a break if you're a cheeky soul.

https://youtu.be/Dy20llJrahk?si=YtZKhr-EbppNAojg

December 5, 2023 8:13 pm  #20

I walked into the dentist's office for my cleaning, this morning. Continuous Christmas music was flowing from the speakers.

"CHFI?", I queried.
"How did you know?", was the response. 

I was never so glad to leave the dentist's office. 

December 5, 2023 8:34 pm  #21

Listening to it was like pulling teeth...

December 5, 2023 9:19 pm  #22

RadioActive wrote:

Listening to it was like pulling teeth...

Ba-da-boom!

December 5, 2023 9:30 pm  #23