sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 6, 2023 5:52 pm  #1

Local Radio Stations That Don't Exist Anymore

It's not often that radio stations go off the air or disappear. CJBK and CKSL London are two of the rare recent examples that went silent. But there were others in Toronto's past that are late and somewhat lamented. 

One that I really miss is CKFH, which, in the early 70s, tried and ultimately failed to take on CHUM for Top 40 ratings gold. But they were great while they lasted. FH eventually was bought by Telemedia, changed into CJCL and ultimately became the Fan 1430, before moving to 590. (Dale Patterson has a great tribute site to the Foster Hewitt-owned station here.) 

Which brings up another one. CKEY was a legendary Toronto radio station that first tried to take on CHUM and then gave market leader CFRB a run for its money. It left the airwaves when CJCL took over its frequency and became what we now know as the Fan 590. It's also one of the first places I ever worked and it was filled with some astounding talent. And the view from the 25th floor of the Toronto Star Building at 1 Yonge St. wasn't bad either!

Although I wasn't a listener, CFGM in Richmond Hill was the longest-lasting country outlet Toronto ever had. It boasted a great roster of talent and has its roots in what is now AM640. Although several others have tried, no one else has managed to establish country as a workable format in the city proper, even if a few on the fringes are still trying to attract a bigger audience. 

CKO was a poorly run all-news network across Canada that never really caught on and despite some great on air people, left the air for good in 1989. That freed up its 99.1 frequency in Toronto that allowed the CBC to transition from 740 AM to FM. 

And CKLN is now Indie 88.1, but the Ryerson run station that preceded it is long gone and lamented by some. 

Elsewhere in the GTHA, CHSC was once a huge presence in St. Catharines, but it was taken over by a company that refused to meet its conditions of licence and the CRTC finally forced them off the air. CFAJ is now on the 1220 frequency in its place. 

And CJRN was a Niagara Falls original, once the home of the legendary John Michael and the Motts. It left the air for good in 2012. 

I won't even mention CFYZ at 1280, which was one of the most bizarre outlets in the city's history. Pearson Airport running its own radio station? And then a business format? It wasn't here long and most don't remember it, which is probably for the best!

October 6, 2023 6:33 pm  #2

Re: Local Radio Stations That Don't Exist Anymore

don't forget CHIC 790

October 6, 2023 6:36 pm  #3

Since you're counting CKFH (which still exists as the FAN/CJCL), there was 1280 CJJD Hamilton (which I know was CHAM before), but it morphed into 1280 CHAM in 1982, then went country in 1983, and moved to 820 KHz in late 1984.

I worked at CHNR 1600 in Simcoe, which moved to FM some time in 1994, and then became CD 98.9 (CHCD were its calls, I think).  I think it's a MyFM outlet now.

I got my feet wet at CIAM 960 in Cambridge (I think it originally was CFTJ).  When I worked there, Power Broadcasting ran a dayparted CHR/AC hybrid on it.  When they moved to FM, they were the Zone@92.9, but eventually became modern-day Dave FM.

Cheers,
Jody Thornton

October 6, 2023 6:52 pm  #4

Going back a bit further, 1280 in Hamilton was originally CHIQ and the Cambridge station started out as a daytimer in Galt. 1110 CFTJ.

October 7, 2023 2:01 am  #5

RadioActive wrote:

CKEY was a legendary Toronto radio station that first tried to take on CHUM and then gave market leader CFRB a run for its money.
It left the airwaves when CJCL took over its frequency and became what we now know as the Fan 590.

WRONG! With the absence of CFGM, and no further desire to compete with CHUM for the oldies ear,
CKEY left the airwaves believing that there is a hole in the market for Country Music.
The new call letters for Country 59 were CKYC. 
This all happened a few years BEFORE CJCL took over.  CKYC/Country 59 had a good run but the sale to Telemedia caused 590 to become Fan 590.  1430 was sold to Fairchild radio.

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

October 7, 2023 6:26 am  #6

What about 1610-CHEV ?

October 7, 2023 6:32 am  #7

Ah, CHIC the house on Ellen Street.  Spent some time there in the 60's.  Remember station manager Harry Allen bounding down the stairs with an LP in his hand wanting to change the music format in the middle of the day!.  That's BC radio ( before computers). 

October 7, 2023 8:17 am  #8

CHIC's last incarnation was CKMW 790. I was the last morning man before the change to the ethnic format and it was also the end of my time as a broadcaster. The only co-workers that I am aware of still on GTA airwaves now is Maie Potts and Craig Venn [ who was a high school intern then ] . It was a great time for me, CFNY shared studio and office space with us, I was able to rub shoulders with David Marsden, Fred Patterson,  Live Earl Jive and Beverly , Jim James, Ron Bruchel , Mike Stafford and the list goes on. Gene Stevens hired me and I thank him for that oppurtunity. 

Last edited by mic'em (October 7, 2023 8:27 am)

October 7, 2023 8:54 am  #9

My career in radio began at the former CKDK 1340 in Woodstock. I was one half of a two-person news department, was paid the princely sum of $720 per month and the "news cruiser" was my ten-speed bike. Shortly after I left, the station moved to FM and had a variety of rock formats over the years.The owners occasionally had their knuckles rapped by the CRTC for ignoring Woodstock and focusing its coverage on London and the surrounding area. Around a decade ago, Corus gave up the pretence of having a presence in Woodstock and moved the whole thing to London and adopted a country format. Heart FM 104 is now Woodstock/Oxford County's local station.

Last edited by BowmanvilleBob (October 7, 2023 9:00 am)

October 7, 2023 9:39 am  #10

One of my first stations straight out of college was Cornwall's CJUL 1220 "The Jewel", an AM 740-like standards/oldies station which used the former CJSS(AM) transmission facilities; the site was left intact after CJSS moved to 101.9 FM. What I did on CJUL was a bit minimal compared to the two FMs in the building, CJSS, and CFLG 104.5.

CJUL went dark in 2010, with CFLG and CJSS ramping up their local news coverage.

October 7, 2023 12:05 pm  #11

CKCB AM (I think it was 1400 khz) Collingwood was an affiliate to CKBB Barrie it morphed into a FM outlet.

1490 CFPS Port Elgin started as a rebroadcaster of CFOS 560 Owen Sound. It was part of an interesting move. In the early 1970's CHYM 1490 Kitchener moved to 570 (now CKGL) which opened up 1490 for CFPS. And I think CFOS also got a power increase to offset the potential adjacent channel noise from CHYM. Eventually CFPS moved to the FM dial and is a separate station. It might have a rebroadcaster in Tobermory.

Perhaps paterson1 may comment with more detail.

Last edited by darcyh (October 7, 2023 12:07 pm)

October 7, 2023 2:01 pm  #12

NW wrote:

What about 1610-CHEV ?

I'm originally from Markham. I remember this station.

They stopped transmitting on AM in 2004.

Totally ceased operations in 2011.

October 7, 2023 2:22 pm  #13

DOPEfm wrote:

NW wrote:

What about 1610-CHEV ?

I seem to recall a very short lived "Magic 1610", which was expected to become a Spanish station. 

October 7, 2023 3:12 pm  #14

Have not seen a mention yet of CKAN in Newmarket.  My home town, I applied while in College.  Heard nothing.  Got a job at another small market station and then a medium market TV station.  Finally got the rejection letter about 5 years later.  Had to laugh.

October 7, 2023 3:59 pm  #15

CKSL 1410 London went silent in 2016.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

October 7, 2023 11:23 pm  #16

Just a Radio Fan wrote:

Have not seen a mention yet of CKAN in Newmarket.  My home town, I applied while in College.  Heard nothing.  Got a job at another small market station and then a medium market TV station.  Finally got the rejection letter about 5 years later.  Had to laugh.

1480 CKAN gets it's own interesting story. In a perfect world one could say they moved to FM.
Not a perfect world though, lol
A "cash shortage" silenced the station for a bit. It signed back on as CKDX, only to go FM @ 88.5 shortly after.

Today they exist as Lite 88five FM, but are they serving Newmarket properly? 
CKAN used to broadcast from Newmarket. 
Lite 88.5 (as far as I know) is broadcasting from a building close to Kipling subway station in Toronto.

October 8, 2023 12:07 am  #17

530 CJFT Fort Erie
1380 CKPC Brantford
1390 CHOO Ajax
1450 CHUC Cobourg
1470 CHOW Welland

Last edited by Dale Patterson (October 8, 2023 12:17 am)

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

October 8, 2023 2:43 pm  #18

There was also CHLO 1570 in St. Thomas. Though that was another FM flip. If I recall correctly they initially remained in St. Thomas but have been based in London since about 1999 or 2000, when they were acquired by Corus and then took over the Energy format from CKDK Woodstock.

Last edited by MJ Vancouver (October 8, 2023 2:44 pm)

October 8, 2023 9:53 pm  #19

RadioActive wrote:

CKO was a poorly run all-news network across Canada that never really caught on and despite some great on air people, left the air for good in 1989. That freed up its 99.1 frequency in Toronto that allowed the CBC to transition from 740 AM to FM. 

One of CKO's major problems, aside from being on FM at a time when many cars still didn't have FM and when FM was strictly for music, is that they weren't local. As I recall even the morning and afternoon drive shows were "national", at least for part of CKO's existence. I do remember listening to it occasionally after midnight for breaking ìnternational news stories - back in the days before all-news cable channels - when the only other choice was watching the "Broadcast News" teletext crawl (remember that?)

Last edited by Hansa (October 8, 2023 9:54 pm)

October 8, 2023 10:58 pm  #20

BN's cable news channel, from 2004. Did many a cable package back in the day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzIZ89hh6RU&t=220s

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

October 9, 2023 12:02 am  #21

Hansa wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

One of CKO's major problems, aside from being on FM at a time when many cars still didn't have FM and when FM was strictly for music, is that they weren't local. As I recall even the morning and afternoon drive shows were "national", at least for part of CKO's existence. I do remember listening to it occasionally after midnight for breaking ìnternational news stories - back in the days before all-news cable channels - when the only other choice was watching the "Broadcast News" teletext crawl (remember that?)

I agree CKO suffered from too often being a national service, with only a few hourly breaks for local news. Really, how many stories about a small town in, say, Saskatchewan did the folks want to hear in Montreal or Ottawa? It's one of the reasons it was doomed from the start.

But it was also run on the extreme cheap, which didn't help. I knew a fair number of people who worked there and in the days before computers, they were working with reel-to-reel tape so overused, it often had leader tape and excess splices in it. They just wouldn't buy fresh and expected people there to reuse it forever, which was impossible.

But my favourite CKO story (other than CKEY scooping them on their own demise) had to be when former Saskatchewan politician Colin Thatcher was found guilty of murdering his wife. CKO had someone in the courtroom and he rushed out to phone in the story, which they had an exclusive on. 

The anchor let the reporter go on for a few minutes and then actually asked him this on air. "Frank, was Colin Thatcher in the courtroom when the verdict was announced?"

There was a very, very long pause as the guy on the other end of the phone tried to process what he'd just heard. Finally he said "Uh, yeees..," too stunned by the stupidity of the query to say anything else. (I wish he would have responded, "no, he just went out for coffee when they convicted him of murder...")

While they did have some excellent people there, including the great reporter Jim Morris working out of their Carlton St. studios, there was a little too much of that going on to give them any real credibility. Still, because I was friends with so many of those on the Toronto side, I was sad when it went off the air for good after its noon newscast on Nov. 10, 1989.

October 9, 2023 1:19 am  #22

Although I lived in an area where reception of CKO was not always possible, I was a fan. They did a good job and always sounded professional.

One night, back in the early 80s there were several federal by-elections. CKO covered the entire evening, outlasting even CBC.

I was in Toronto in my car on the day they announced they were shutting down.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

October 9, 2023 4:22 am  #23

Dale Patterson wrote:

BN's cable news channel, from 2004. Did many a cable package back in the day.

At the local cable company, we had a dedicated channel displaying the Broadcast News service for cable.
It was a very popular service based on subscriber/customer comments.
We had the service on cable channel 16 back in the day. Late 70s to 1990 or so...

The CG box was a MSI Datacasting unit with three zones or fields...  the top field was the company name via a flashed PROM.  The larger mid screen field displayed the BN service on a slow vertical roll. And the bottom field displayed the time and "roof top" temperature from the temp prop mounted on the office roof.

We used the CTL music library service for the background music/audio. 14" open reel tapes playing back on a Sony TC-758 w/auto reversing playback.

The "wire" service was delivered to our building via a circuit from CNCP...  I remember on weekend where the service went dead...  lots of subscriber complaints to the service department, and an "inquiry" from our Gen. Mgr., so I figured I should look into this further...  Calls to BN Desk, and maybe CP ???  which confirmed that they were not having any technical problems.  I was eventually able to reach CNCP and they dispatched a technician who was MISERABLE (must have interrupted his weekend football viewing).  He had to punch down a new pair to our line...  took him all of five minutes to repair it.

We never did ad insertion on our channel for BN like the example that Dale has linked to.  This was most likely due to CRTC regulations back in the day....

October 9, 2023 7:54 am  #24

Dale Patterson wrote:

530 CJFT Fort Erie
1380 CKPC Brantford
1390 CHOO Ajax
1450 CHUC Cobourg
1470 CHOW Welland

1450-CHUC (Cobourg) became 107.9-CHUC (Classic Rock).

October 9, 2023 8:31 am  #25

In the Southwest 1290 CJBK and 1410 CKSL from London simply shut down. 710 CHYR, 1110 CKTY, 1570 CHLO, 1240 CJCS, and 1340 CKDK all moved to FM. Even CBC Radio One in Windsor did that. 

October 9, 2023 9:14 am  #26

DOPEfm wrote:

NW wrote:

What about 1610-CHEV ?

To me, this is the oddest radio station that's ever been on the air in the GTA. I'm not sure how many people were even aware of its existence. Not only was it on the so-called "X band" before it even had that name, it's the only radio station I've ever heard of that was only on at certain hours of the day. It wasn't 24 hours, it wasn't even daytime only.

It came on only when there was some kind of "event" to cover, like a local fair or a minor league hockey game. Once the game was over, the station signed off. And it didn't matter whether it was 4 PM or 11 PM. I have to say, I wasn't even aware you could get a licence just to broadcast "special events." It's not surprising it didn't work or most people weren't even aware of its existence.

Has anyone ever heard of another station like this any other place in Canada? I find it extraordinary that anyone thought this would work in such a big city. 

And by the way, those call letters still exist. CHEV-FM is a low power local community station at 94.5 FM in Grand Falls-Windsor, Newfoundland and goes by the moniker "Valley Radio." It never really uses its call letters. 

October 9, 2023 9:32 am  #27

One other station that springs to mind is Seaside FM in Halifax, which started as an event-based station for the Eastern Passage Summer Carnival back in the early 2000s. After puling together the expertise of a lot of retired broadcasters in the Halifax area and some volunteers, the station applied to the CRTC and got a low-power FM licence for a full-service community radio station several years later.

https://seasidefm.com/

Last edited by BowmanvilleBob (October 9, 2023 9:34 am)

October 9, 2023 9:37 am  #28

BowmanvilleBob wrote:

One other station that springs to mind is Seaside FM in Halifax, which started as an event-based station for the Eastern Passage Summer Carnival back in the early 2000s. Pulling the expertise of a lot of retired broadcasters in the Halifax area and some volunteers, the station applied to the CRTC and got a low-power FM licence for a full-service community radio station several years later.

Thanks for that, Bob. Never heard of them, but it's amazing to me that anyone else ever tried this. If I recall correctly, CHEV tried to hang on over the Internet, but they eventually gave up and disappeared into history. 

SeasideFM had a rather prominent announcement on its home page that I don't think I've ever seen on a radio website before: Help Wanted.

"Interested in doing radio voiceovers? We're looking for mature female voices for commercials we produce In-house. Must have own recording equipment and be able to produce high-quality tracks. Send your examples to salesmanager@seasidefm.com. Payment is on a per commercial basis."

October 9, 2023 9:57 am  #29

RadioActive wrote:

BowmanvilleBob wrote:

One other station that springs to mind is Seaside FM in Halifax, which started as an event-based station for the Eastern Passage Summer Carnival back in the early 2000s. Pulling the expertise of a lot of retired broadcasters in the Halifax area and some volunteers, the station applied to the CRTC and got a low-power FM licence for a full-service community radio station several years later.

Thanks for that, Bob. Never heard of them, but it's amazing to me that anyone else ever tried this. If I recall correctly, CHEV tried to hang on over the Internet, but they eventually gave up and disappeared into history. 

SeasideFM had a rather prominent announcement on its home page that I don't think I've ever seen on a radio website before: Help Wanted.

"Interested in doing radio voiceovers? We're looking for mature female voices for commercials we produce In-house. Must have own recording equipment and be able to produce high-quality tracks. Send your examples to salesmanager@seasidefm.com. Payment is on a per commercial basis."

No problem. I followed this saga for a few years. The station was largely the brainchild of a single local guy in Halifax, who loved radio but was rebuffed repeatedly when he tried to get an on-air job due to a speech impediment. Undaunted, he created Seaside FM as an event-based station first, and then leveraged his community connections to get a community radio licence using volunteers and a few paid staffers. From my perspective, the only drawback was that the founder put himself into the afternoon drive position five days a week and well, let's just say he was an "acquired taste." Unfortunately the founder passed away from cancer a few years ago but the station lives on.

October 9, 2023 10:09 am  #30

Bomanvillebob, do any of the AM stations in Halifax still exist or have they all jumped to FM ? I worked the overnight shift at CHNS in the summer into fall of 1976 while also attending the broadcasting college [ name escapes me ] that was in the basement of the Scotia Square building. I was there under a Canada Manpower/ UI program. 

Last edited by mic'em (October 9, 2023 10:09 am)