sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 17, 2023 2:35 pm  #1

Controversial Ex-CFRB Host Getting Daily Show On Sauga960

You may remember the name Randy Taylor. He was, for a time, a talk show host at CFRB but also spent time at CKTB, its FM station CHTZ, AM 640 when it was still The Hog, and briefly had his own TV show on Global. The Spirit of Radio website notes he was the afternoon drive guy at CFNY in 1989.

He was an often controversial figure with sometimes "out there" views, if I recall correctly, before becoming a public speaker and leadership mentor for any company that would hire him. 

Now, years later, he's coming back to local radio. Taylor's new show will be on Sauga960 beginning Tuesday, Sept. 5, from 9-10AM weekdays. I remember the name but to be honest, I can't quite recall why his tenure at 1010 was so short. But I don't think his views were exactly, shall we say, mainstream?

If he's as conservative as I remember, that will mean three right-leaning hosts on all at the same time in this area - Jerry Agar on 1010, Alex Pierson on 640 and now Taylor in the middle of the dial at 960. The 9 AM slot had been occupied for many years by Norm Murray, who is still listed there on one page of the Sauga website, but then has been moved to the 7-8 PM period on another. 

August 17, 2023 3:04 pm  #2

Re: Controversial Ex-CFRB Host Getting Daily Show On Sauga960

His real name is Randy Dumont...

Randy Taylor Dumont

Before running for office, Randy Dumont was for many years a popular radio personality on CKTB FM in [url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Catharines,_Ontario]St. Catharines[/url] under the name Randy Taylor. He was laid off from the station in May 2000 by a program manager who argued that he did not fit the station's "moderate approach" (Hamilton Spectator, 6 May 2000), and briefly worked at CFRB in Toronto prior to the election.

He used his stage name as an unofficial middle name for the 2000 campaign (Vancouver Sun, 30 October 2000).One national reporter described him as a "shock jock" in the style of Howard Stern, writing that he once ran a stunt contest won by "a man who nailed his testicles to a board". In response to criticisms, Dumont argued that he was simply playing a character when on-air (Globe and Mail, 22 November 2000). He was quoted as saying during the campaign, "We cannot afford to have an 'everything for everyone' health care system any more...We have the perfect opportunity now to look at private enterprise to deliver much-needed health services." (Canada NewsWire, 10 November 2000)Dumont received 15,871 votes (33.97%), finishing second against Liberal incumbent Walt Lastewka. He returned to CFRB in 2002–2003, before leaving to do a television show entitled "Spirit of Life".[1]

SOURCE: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_Alliance_candidates_in_the_2000_Canadian_federal_election

August 17, 2023 4:16 pm  #3

I recall his CRFB foibles. I suspect the 'Spirit of life' nonsense was following Coren's attempts at whitewashing his garbage reputation. I'm sure he'll fit in nicely with 960's falangist lineup.

August 17, 2023 4:25 pm  #4

August 17, 2023 4:33 pm  #5

Randy is a frequent commenter here. It will be interesting to hear if his views are as radical as I remember.

August 17, 2023 4:43 pm  #6

Chrisphen wrote:

...I'm sure he'll fit in nicely with 960's falangist lineup.

Bingo!

August 17, 2023 7:54 pm  #7

Rune wrote:

Randy is a frequent commenter here. It will be interesting to hear if his views are as radical as I remember.

You might be thinking about the same person I am. Thought he may comment on the passing of Hal Harbour as they were with NY around the same time. I know nothing about the radical past but I do remember him at NY and also Q 107 I think. 

His posts here do not strike me as radical.

Last edited by Fitz (August 17, 2023 7:58 pm)

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/

September 15, 2023 10:07 am  #8

His show started on Monday and I have to admit I kind of forgot about it. It airs 9-10AM weekdays on Sauga960. If you're at all interested in what it - and he - sounds like after all these years, podcasts of it are available here.

September 15, 2023 12:41 pm  #9

I heard a part of his first show online. I had no idea that the former CFRB host and candidate was at one time homeless and an alcoholic, who dropped out of school in Grade 10. He claims despite his reputation, he's not a dyed-in-the-wool Conservative, though he's run for office several times with right leaning platforms. 

Whatever you think of his politics, you have to give him credit for being able to turn his life around. I'm sure that was not easy.

September 15, 2023 2:51 pm  #10

The right-wing, conspiracy-filled, freedom-fighting, yelling-at-clouds cesspool that has become AM talk-radio just keeps getting 'cessier'!

September 15, 2023 3:16 pm  #11

Johnny B wrote:

The right-wing, conspiracy-filled, freedom-fighting, yelling-at-clouds cesspool that has become AM talk-radio just keeps getting 'cessier'!

I agree with everything, Johnny B, except it's 'freedumb'.

September 21, 2023 1:05 pm  #12

I only tune into Sauga960 occasionally to see what they're up to. Which is how I heard a very odd promo for Randy Taylor's new morning show there, in which he specifically mentions John Oakley - who, of course, is the prominent talent on another radio station. 

Not sure I've ever heard a competitor promoted before, but this station has a way of doing things you wouldn't expect. But then again, nothing they do surprises me anymore. 

October 19, 2023 2:41 pm  #13

I just heard Sauga960 run a promo for Randy Taylor's morning show on the station and it was astonishing. The copy, which he reads, claims his AM drivetime audience has quadrupled since he started and that the ratings are up 400%. 

Even if you assume there was no one really there to begin with or that it went from, say, 100 to 4,000 listeners, is that really such a big improvement? You have to question that kind of sudden surge claim. Frankly, I find it very hard to believe. 

October 19, 2023 3:11 pm  #14

RadioActive wrote:

I just heard Sauga960 run a promo for Randy Taylor's morning show on the station and it was astonishing. The copy, which he reads, claims his AM drivetime audience has quadrupled since he started and that the ratings are up 400%. 

Even if you assume there was no one really there to begin with or that it went from, say, 100 to 4,000 listeners, is that really such a big improvement? You have to question that kind of sudden surge claim. Frankly, I find it very hard to believe. 

A 400% increase, if true, gives away the fact that they're dealing with very small numbers. It's the type of increase we normally see for EemntFM or the French CBC.

October 19, 2023 3:16 pm  #15

Or to quote Billy Preston:

October 19, 2023 3:43 pm  #16

you have to work with him to under stand he is a bs broker

RadioAaron wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

A 400% increase, if true, gives away the fact that they're dealing with very small numbers. It's the type of increase we normally see for EemntFM or the French CBC.

October 19, 2023 6:58 pm  #17

Still more watts (daytime) than listeners?

November 28, 2023 4:05 pm  #18

Randy Taylor's side hustle. Or is this his full time job and the morning show on Sauga 960 his side hustle?

https://www.taylormadeleadership.com/randy-taylor-bio