sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 3, 2023 4:20 pm  #1

I AM Sure This Band is Not Long For This World/CKPC Falls Silent

Latest Evidence      https://arise1380.com/
(I was going to say "Holy Jesus", but that might be a wee bit on the nose.)

Cheers,
Jody Thornton

August 3, 2023 4:30 pm  #2

Re: I AM Sure This Band is Not Long For This World/CKPC Falls Silent

God works in mysterious ways...

But I think this ends any previous speculation that Evanov would be interested in acquiring CHAM 820 or CKOC 1150 from Bell...

August 3, 2023 4:33 pm  #3

Not that it was a station I ever listened to, but CKPC goes all the way back to 1927, according to the History of Canadian Broadcasting page.

In fact, according to that source, it was all something of an accident when a few tinkerers started playing with the medium as far back as 1923:

"In the garage of his home, Wallace Russ had gathered with friends Tom Mead of Hespeler and Charles Bonner of Galt to putter with radio equipment. One day the phone rang: a neighbour recognized their voices coming over his radio receiver, and wondered what they were up to.

"Inspired by their first taste of audience feedback, Russ shelled out $50 to the federal Department of Marine for a license to broadcast at 5 watts of power. Soon friends, neighbours and acquaintances were streaming through Russ' living room to sing, recite and perform on regular broadcasts. An exception was Preston's Silver Band: Russ ran a microphone to a window as the band performed on his front lawn. The station was essentially a hobby for the original owners."

Maybe if they'd gone back to that kind of really local programming, it might still be here! A shame to see another one die. (And, since it ended on a religious format, likely gone to broadcasting heaven.) 

August 3, 2023 4:33 pm  #4

Glen Warren wrote:

But I think this ends any previous speculation that Evanov would be interested in acquiring CHAM 820 or CKOC 1150 from Bell...

Turn-em-off!  Evanov! - that has a ring to it :D

But yes, I think AM is toast.  And trust me, I loved AM.  In fact of the ONLY radio listening I still do, it's twenty minutes of 680 in the car (just so I can skip social media and get a break from it).  Then - it's OFF!

Cheers,
Jody Thornton

August 3, 2023 4:33 pm  #5

"The Lord will provide."

Oops.

August 3, 2023 6:54 pm  #6

Not sure how many listeners CKPC actually had.  I suppose they can always try and listen to K-Loathe on 102.5 out of Buffalo.

August 3, 2023 8:01 pm  #7

Jody Thornton wrote:

Glen Warren wrote:

Turn-em-off!  Evanov! - that has a ring to it :D

But yes, I think AM is toast.  And trust me, I loved AM.  In fact of the ONLY radio listening I still do, it's twenty minutes of 680 in the car (just so I can skip social media and get a break from it).  Then - it's OFF!

Jody,  give 100.3FM The Rez a try on your car radio before clicking off.  You'll hear all the rock tracks Q107 won't play plus Delbert McClinton, Etta James, George Jones, etc. The voice of the station is Derek Miller. ✌

https://player1.radioplace.co/player/popup/ckrz-fm/

August 3, 2023 9:42 pm  #8

One-time CKPC news director John Best reflects on the loss of yet another radio station where he worked and remembers the role the place played in its 90-year broadcast history. 

"The station made national and US network news during the 1980 Federal election when, then Prime Minister Joe Clark arrived for a talk show appearance with the national media in tow, and broke the news that Canada had helped smuggle US diplomats out of Iran."

Sign of the times –another AM radio station bites the dust

August 3, 2023 9:52 pm  #9

That's two for me.  CHOW in Welland and CKPC in Brantford that I worked at it doing news that are now gone.

August 3, 2023 10:38 pm  #10

Broodcaster wrote:

That's two for me.  CHOW in Welland and CKPC in Brantford that I worked at it doing news that are now gone.

For me it's CKPC and CHNR in Simcoe (though I guess the latter lives on at 98.9 MHz.)

Cheers,
Jody Thornton

August 3, 2023 11:12 pm  #11

NW wrote:

Not sure how many listeners CKPC actually had.  I suppose they can always try and listen to K-Loathe on 102.5 out of Buffalo.

Arise has fallen!

August 3, 2023 11:37 pm  #12

Jody Thornton wrote:

Broodcaster wrote:

For me it's CKPC and CHNR in Simcoe (though I guess the latter lives on at 98.9 MHz.)

AM Radio isn't alone. Newspapers. Paris This Week and the Orillia Packet and Times, my first and second employers, are gone, the latter leaving a legacy in the order of a century. The lesson, I think, is simple. Know how to evolve, and know you will evolve. Or die.

August 4, 2023 3:33 am  #13

Folks, I think this means Evanov is NOT the one buying 1150 and 820, (one of which, could have had Arise radio)   Same for Windsor...

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

August 4, 2023 7:01 am  #14

Here's what's listed on the Evanov website under "stations." They may want to update this!

I guess those "loyal" and "dedicated" listeners didn't listen as much as they thought...

(Also - "one of the biggest radio frequencies in Canada." 1380? Where did they get that from?)

August 4, 2023 7:22 am  #15

Sign of the times –another AM radio station bites the dust
CKPC Brantford to close after 90 years

https://bayobserver.ca/sign-of-the-times-another-am-radio-station-bites-the-dust/

"For this reporter the closure of CKPC represents the fourth radio station to disappear that I worked at in a radio career that lasted a scant five years—CKOX Woodstock, CKSL London, CFCF Montreal (“Canada’s First Radio Station”), and now 1380 CKPC."

August 4, 2023 12:55 pm  #16

And yet with all the doom and gloom over the looming end of the AM band, it's always amazing how there's still one or sometimes two stations in some of the bigger markets that not only do OK in the ratings against tough competition, they still manage to make money. Not really a surprise most of them are heritage stations that have been around a long time. 

This article shows which ones they are and how they've survived the FM surge. 

August 4, 2023 1:23 pm  #17

RadioActive wrote:

And yet with all the doom and gloom over the looming end of the AM band, it's always amazing how there's still one or sometimes two stations in some of the bigger markets that not only do OK in the ratings against tough competition, they still manage to make money. Not really a surprise most of them are heritage stations that have been around a long time. 

I think though the story of how is the market able to support News, News/Talk and Sports based formats. Most have heritage in those formats.   Some also have added FM signals to transition over.   AM playing music, in smaller markets, or in markets that already over served with talk based formats will not be as HUGE for billings.   I also remind you, this is TODAY and not where we are going quickly.  5 years from now, I think these numbers will be much lower if they only have AM as their only signal.   Transitioning now will protect these stations, which is why we see FM's being added to WINS, KNX, etc.    I think over time we will see Canadian owners protecting their crown jewel AM's by adding an FM where possible.   I just hope they don't wait until the damage is done and they can't turn the downward push around.  

August 4, 2023 8:12 pm  #18

August 4, 2023 10:08 pm  #19

RadioActive wrote:

This can be misleading.

Revenue is the total amount of income generated by sales.

Expenses running the business are taken out of "revenue".

Generating revenue does not mean a company is profitable.

It is possible for a company to generate revenue but have a net loss.

August 5, 2023 12:39 am  #20

This is the final transmitter log for CKPC AM. 

Aug 4, 2023

20*C
Cloudy + Lightning
12:43am

Matthew, Aniket & Paul B. on site for the final station shutdown.

100 years ago, your signal started beaming from Wallace Russ’ garage, now, 100 years later, we are here to turn your signal off for the last time.

Thank you CKPC AM for providing generations with quality information and entertainment. You will be missed but your signals are still flying through space for intelligent life forms to receive.

Goodbye old friend.

TX shutdown: 12:07am

FWD: 0W
REF: 0W
MOD: 0%
Phase: All towers 0
Ratio: All towers 0
Frequency: 0khz

August 5, 2023 5:07 am  #21

"Matthew, Aniket & Paul B. on site for the final station shutdown.

100 years ago, your signal started beaming from Wallace Russ’ garage, now, 100 years later, we are here to turn your signal off for the last time.

Thank you CKPC AM for providing generations with quality information and entertainment. You will be missed but your signals are still flying through space for intelligent life forms to receive.

Goodbye old friend."

Due to the vastness of space and the universe , which probably  goes some ways to answer the "Fermi Paradox" where is everybody ( in reference to ET ) and the recent UAP hearings not withstanding. Perhaps the best hope of ever hearing those old signals floating in space is if somehow human tech mastered a way to receive those. All the old air checks available on the internet are just a drop in the ocean just as the earth is a mere grain of sand or less compared to the size of the universe. 

Last edited by Fitz (August 5, 2023 5:08 am)

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/

August 5, 2023 9:27 pm  #22

In the thread "Bell Cuts 1,300, Closes 6 Stns., Including CJBK, Selling CKOC & CHAM" board member paterson1 opines that AM stations will drop like flies. He may be prophetic. Six weeks after the Bell shutdowns another one goes silent.

Although I was out of CKPC 1380's range, it ran 25 KW. The Radio Locator map shows much of it directed to the East over relatively prosperous populated and rural areas. Is there no hope for an AM station? What about a classic country format with a strong morning / afternoon show with emphasis on local events? Or a mix of folk, country and rock? WHLX 1590 / 92.7 Port Huron / Marine City Michigan seems to be doing well with this format. Or is it just that no one is prepared to try?

What station will be next?

I sure hope the CRTC considers these AM shutdowns when the licensees seek to purchase more stations or increase power.

Last edited by darcyh (August 5, 2023 9:30 pm)

August 6, 2023 11:39 am  #23

Along the same lines as in this Thread from Dick Taylor's Blog: DickTaylorBlog | Media Mentorship

August 6, 2023 12:17 pm  #24

darcyh wrote:

In the thread "Bell Cuts 1,300, Closes 6 Stns., Including CJBK, Selling CKOC & CHAM" board member paterson1 opines that AM stations will drop like flies. He may be prophetic. Six weeks after the Bell shutdowns another one goes silent.

Although I was out of CKPC 1380's range, it ran 25 KW. The Radio Locator map shows much of it directed to the East over relatively prosperous populated and rural areas. Is there no hope for an AM station? What about a classic country format with a strong morning / afternoon show with emphasis on local events? Or a mix of folk, country and rock? WHLX 1590 / 92.7 Port Huron / Marine City Michigan seems to be doing well with this format. Or is it just that no one is prepared to try?

What station will be next?

I sure hope the CRTC considers these AM shutdowns when the licensees seek to purchase more stations or increase power.

Those maps don't mean much if people just don't have the receivers, and when they do in denser population areas they are overcome with electrical noise from...everything.

There are a handful of US AMs still playing music, but they are coasting on momentum and often one-man operations. Starting such a thing from scratch today would be impossible.

August 6, 2023 5:46 pm  #25

I find it a little odd that ALL the cities listed on the map are American, and there are NO Canadian cities/towns at all, for this coverage map of a Canadian station.

August 6, 2023 6:06 pm  #26

DeepTracks wrote:

I find it a little odd that ALL the cities listed on the map are American, and there are NO Canadian cities/towns at all, for this coverage map of a Canadian station.

It's from Radio Locator, an American site.
https://radio-locator.com/

August 6, 2023 6:12 pm  #27

If it's not in 'merica, it doesn't exist.