sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 3, 2015 4:49 pm  #1

internet radio .. late night talk recommendations?

i like late night talk radio .. 

unfortunately, our 2 Toronto Talk stations have decided to go head-to-head with Coast-to-Coast on one channel & Art Bell on the other. lol/grrr, i HATE paranormal\conspiracy radio .. for me, it's unlistenable.

so .. looking for options .. i just picked up a C. Crane Internet Radio 

it's pretty neat but, with thousands of stations available around the world, it will be a time consuming challenge to find the best choices ..

so, taking advantage of the good folks here being from all over, i'm looking for recommendations on good late night talk show options that isn't Coast-to-Coast or Art Bell. i'll also need the radio station "Call Letters" & frequency (ex. KMOX am1120 St. Louis).

the other issue i have is my C. Crane Internet radio drives off the Reciva "Station Locator" network which doesn't support the iHeartRadio stations. but it appears if one can determine the raw iHeartRadio station URL, you can input it directly. anyone done this? do you have example iHeartRadio URLs that work on Reciva driven Internet radios?

thanks in advance .. cheers from Toronto ..

August 3, 2015 4:53 pm  #2

Re: internet radio .. late night talk recommendations?

Isn't iheartradio geo-blocked to Canadian ip's anyway?

August 3, 2015 5:04 pm  #3

verger wrote:

I have never blocked anyone, while confessing only to changing the station when experiencing Andy Kim & Anne Murray overload

August 3, 2015 7:00 pm  #4

verger wrote:

I heart which used to be clear channel was not geo blocked until recently. I think I listened to their Denver Triple A station not too long ago but when I tried it just now I get the message "not available in your area."  Not sure what the work-around is for C Crane but on Google Chrome there is a extension that allows one to access geo blocked content. I used it recently to listen to to CBS stations such as WXRT Chicago and Free Form BCN from Boston. I only enabled the extension when was listening and then disabled it again.

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/

August 3, 2015 9:26 pm  #5

it's hard to say how many stations are doing live all night talk out there... aside from the syndicated conspiracy shows. gone are the days when you could surf the am dial to find a number of late-night talk shows. i especially miss the larry glick show (may he r.i.p.) on whdh in boston. the station's signal is a night time powerhouse... then again, it's been a long time since i've listened to "radio" (or radio type programing) via tradional airwaves.

August 3, 2015 9:51 pm  #6

larry Glick may have been on WHDH at some point in his career, but i remember him on Boston's true powerhouse, 1030 WBZ. i even remember the phone # 617-254-5678. I don't know who does the midnight-5AM shift on BZ now but I believe it is simulcast on 830 WCCO in Minneapolis. I also believe that 720 WGN Chicago does live local talk shows overnight as well.

August 10, 2015 4:25 pm  #7

yep .. i fondly remember listening to Larry Glick on WBZ1030 Boston back in my teens.

it takes a bit of work .. but google is your friend & you can find direct stream URLs for the iHeartRadio stations which you can add to your Reciva\MyStreams for listening on your C.Crane radio.

well it's been a week hunting for decent late night talk radio &, to be honest, i'm stunned.  i just didn't realize how many ultra conserative bombastic blowhards were out there.   i already knew about rush, hannity & beck but mike savage,  larry elder & michael medved are just as scary.  mike gallagher did seem less extreme.

i had to hunt a bit & did find some more progressive shows like Stephanie Miller & Norman Goldman.  while these were much more listenable they still had their obvious biases (albiet to the left).

what is this penchant most of these host have with insults & name calling.  aren't these folks supposed to be adults?  

what i'm looking for is moderate, unbiased rationale discussion whose primary purpose is facts\analysis\interpretation\opinion ..  not simply to push their own agenda for their own personal gain.  ideas?? 

*chuckles* they all make me glad for our more quiet\civil canadian way .. 

cheers from Toronto .. 

Last edited by g121 (August 10, 2015 4:27 pm)

August 10, 2015 11:25 pm  #8

A lot may depend on how late you're up and what your tastes are. One show that leans right but is a lot less bombastic than the Rushes and the Hannitys is The John Batchelor Show, which airs from 9 PM -1 AM out of WABC New York. (And as a bonus, it's a non-geo blocked stream.) Batchelor first came on the air the day after the 9/11 attack on New York City,and he's been there ever since. He generally features excellent guests, who know what they're talking about. He has an uncanny ability to zero in on things that more often than not wind up making big headlines the next day. He makes no secret of his Republican leanings, but he's generally fair and the info you get out of his four hours are worth the trouble.

The John Batchelor Show 

After he signs off, there's another fairly entertaining all night talker called "Red Eye Radio," also on WABC (and WLS and WJR, to name a few.) This one originates in Dallas, Texas, starts at 1 AM, and features two hosts - Eric Harley and Gary McNamara. The latter used to work in Buffalo, and frequently makes references to his time in radio in that city. Totally right wing, but with a sense of humour often missing from that kind of show. This thing runs up to five hours a night, depending on what station you listen to it on. 

Red Eye Radio

But if you're a real night owl, I'd suggest my favourite overnight marathon - Nick Digilio (pronounced Duh-Jill-ee-oh) on WGN Chicago. This is about as far from the other guys as you can get. He's totally into pop culture and almost never ventures into politics, left, right or otherwise. He's a movie, TV and music critic and fanatic and usually has guests that centre around those three subjects. Some (but not all) of if it is understandably Chicago-oriented, but he's so good and so entertaining, it's fascinating to listen to anyway. Only problem is since they moved him a few years ago from weekends-only to a regular shift, his gig starts at 2 AM Chicago time, which is an hour later here. So unless you're up really late, it's either miss it or listen to the podcast the next day. You can get a better idea of what he does on the station's webpage devoted to his show.

Nick Diglio, WGN

Hope that helps!

Last edited by RadioActive (August 10, 2015 11:26 pm)

August 11, 2015 11:21 am  #9

thanks RadioActive : )) .. much better choices .. 

i caught a wee bit of John Batchelor & concur that it seems like a much more fact based show.  he was a bit dry on presentation but definitely worth checking often to see what topics are being addressed.

i've heard Red Eye Radio a few times before.  yes, they're certainly well on the right side of the spectrum but i agree there's a thread of humour that's persistent in their show.  they wouldn't be my "go to" choice but i can see myself dropping by now & then to see what they're up to.

Chicago is already well represented on my internet radio dial with WGN am720, WCPT am820 & WLS am890. they've got a nice vibe to their hosts & shows.  i was unaware of Nick Digilio but did catch 1/2 hour last night.   my initial reaction meshes with your opinion .. a fun, entertaining show.  & to be honest, during late night a "pop culture" oriented show is often a more welcome offering.  yep, he's on really late, so i'll have to be "inventive".

the other show i caught last night was Mark Levine's Inside Scoop.  definitely left wing but it was amusing listening to the reactions & discussions on the recent GOP debate.  at least with the left wing biased hosts, they aren't nearly as mean-spirited as many of the far right wing hosts.

cheers from Toronto .. 

Last edited by g121 (August 11, 2015 11:23 am)

August 11, 2015 1:07 pm  #10

g121 wrote:

the other show i caught last night was Mark Levine's Inside Scoop.  definitely left wing...

I just about stroked out on that quote, until I noticed the spelling of the host's last name. If you ever require a dose of red-meat ultra-conservatism, there's always the Mark Levin Show http://www.marklevinshow.com/, but be sure your guns are fully loaded before venturing in.

August 11, 2015 2:02 pm  #11

mace wrote:

larry Glick may have been on WHDH at some point in his career, but i remember him on Boston's true powerhouse, 1030 WBZ. i even remember the phone # 617-254-5678. I don't know who does the midnight-5AM shift on BZ now but I believe it is simulcast on 830 WCCO in Minneapolis. I also believe that 720 WGN Chicago does live local talk shows overnight as well.

my bad, i don't know what i was thinking, ... it was indeed wbz where larry became known to many north americans. he left wbz to join whdh to do mid-mornings. that didin't work so they placed him on evenings but whdh's signal was tiny compared to wbz. larry retired to florida when his whdh contract ran out. i had the pleasure of talking to larry on-air (he made me "dean of eskimos, i have the "glick university t-shirt to prove it)! We also had a couple personal chats when he was at his florida home (just before i started hosting weekend shifts at talk 640). although i was a young kid. i remember hearing larry on boston's wmex, back when arnie woo woo ginsberg was doing evenings (the station was all-talk during the late night and early morning hours). larry was a great broadcaster who really connected with his audience.