sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 7, 2024 9:46 am  #1

Why Radio Needs to "Look Better" To Secure Its Future

It seems counterintuitive to argue radio needs to improve its appearance, since it's an audio-only medium. But because so much listening is done in cars, as screens continually expand in new automobiles, some consultants are arguing stations need to not only pay attention to what they're playing, but how they look to drivers. 

"The screenification of new cars and trucks is not new, but at events like this year’s Consumer Technology Show, the expansion of this trend has been on full display, raising questions about the implications for radio companies.

“Big screens mean radio has to look as good as it sounds,” said David Layer, vice president of advanced engineering for the National Association of Broadcasters. 

“Those experiences are going to evolve beyond audio; they already have to a degree. The car is its own platform with rich experiences and has to be considered as such.”

Can Radio Keep Its Home Between the Pillars?

July 11, 2024 12:37 am  #2

Re: Why Radio Needs to "Look Better" To Secure Its Future

Radio always has looked good.

After all is said and done, more is usually said than done.

July 11, 2024 9:09 am  #3

Lately I have been test driving a few different vehicles since I plan to get a new one before the end of the  year.  I don't know if it is the look of the radio (if you can find it) or just the overall technology of the entertainment systems in new cars. 

I took out one GM vehicle that had SiriusXM on the screen.  During my test drive, tried to figure out how to tune in the radio and it always went back to Sirius.  Liked the car ok and when I returned after the test dive asked the sales rep. how do you tune in the local radio.  He smiled and said it was a process, whatever that means. 

Also had a Hyundai and Nissan out (not electric) and had no problem getting the radio on in either of those vehicles, and both had AM and FM.  The radios in these SUV's were fine and had graphics to go along with the song and station. 

I don't think it matters so much what the radios look like in cars since they are just a screen, the radios themselves don't have "a look."  Best thing radio could do is get rid of the over modulated and amateurish sound tracking and have the announcers actually talk about real things and the music they are playing. And drop most of the canned and dated material about B- listed has beens from Hollywood.  

July 11, 2024 9:36 am  #4

paterson1 wrote:

Lately I have been test driving a few different vehicles since I plan to get a new one before the end of the  year.  I don't know if it is the look of the radio (if you can find it) or just the overall technology of the entertainment systems in new cars. 

I took out one GM vehicle that had SiriusXM on the screen.  During my test drive, tried to figure out how to tune in the radio and it always went back to Sirius.  Liked the car ok and when I returned after the test dive asked the sales rep. how do you tune in the local radio.  He smiled and said it was a process, whatever that means. 

Also had a Hyundai and Nissan out (not electric) and had no problem getting the radio on in either of those vehicles, and both had AM and FM.  The radios in these SUV's were fine and had graphics to go along with the song and station. 

I don't think it matters so much what the radios look like in cars since they are just a screen, the radios themselves don't have "a look."  Best thing radio could do is get rid of the over modulated and amateurish sound tracking and have the announcers actually talk about real things and the music they are playing. And drop most of the canned and dated material about B- listed has beens from Hollywood.  

The "Statler and Waldorfs" of the world aka most of the SOWNY members are no longer the target market. The youngsters today apparently do care about the lives of Hollywood B-listers. As for the jocks chatting about the music they are playing? Nope! Shut up and play the tunes. The audience already knows everything about the artist and their music from social media.

July 11, 2024 11:36 am  #5

mace wrote:

paterson1 wrote:

The "Statler and Waldorfs" of the world aka most of the SOWNY members are no longer the target market. The youngsters today apparently do care about the lives of Hollywood B-listers. As for the jocks chatting about the music they are playing? Nope! Shut up and play the tunes. The audience already knows everything about the artist and their music from social media.

All true, except the younger generation isn't listening to traditional radio that much.  Why cater to an audience that is using radio less and less?  If they really want only music, likely isn't going to be from their local radio station. 

Last edited by paterson1 (July 11, 2024 11:37 am)

July 11, 2024 6:20 pm  #6

I'm bent out of shape because my car does not have a CD player. Now I have to rip all of my Dan Fogelberg and Jandek CDs to a USB stick.