sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 9, 2024 7:04 am  #1

One Of PAMS Famous Jingle Singers Has Died

You never knew her name but if you listened to CHUM in the 60s, you almost certainly heard her voice. Trella Hart was the vocalist on some of those famous PAMS jingles that played before songs on Top 40 radio stations across North America in the 60s and 70s. 

"Hart’s distinct voice and laughter became a signature across radio stations that used PAMS’ “Swiszle” and “Fun Vibrations” packages, of which the latter was most famously used on New York City’s 77 WABC. She later extended her talents to commercial jingles and other production companies, including JAM."

I know they're no longer really in favour, but I loved those 60s jingles because they were exclusive to one station to a market (in Toronto, CHUM had many of their packages) and they're are as much a part of what made radio back then so great as the music itself.

You can hear her vocals on these famous PAMS jingles. 

And did you know that Hart actually released a single? It came out in 1970, but only reached #120 on Billboard's Bubbling Under chart. Which is why those 10 second I.D.s will forever be her legacy for 60s radio listeners. 

July 9, 2024 7:31 am  #2

Re: One Of PAMS Famous Jingle Singers Has Died

I didn't care for the PAMS jingles because they were, IMO, too long winded. I much preferred the Johnny Mann Singers. Concise, straight to the point then back to "more music"

July 9, 2024 8:00 am  #3

A lot of the early 60's PAMS jingles had loud blaring horns which really didn't sound that great on a tinny AM radio.  CHUM used various companies for their jingles but did feature PAMS a lot.  Europe has become a hotbed for jingle production today. Jingles seem to go in and out of fashion.   Right now in Toronto at least you don't hear many stations with jingles. In other parts of the country and smaller markets they seem to be used more.  

July 9, 2024 2:48 pm  #4

I hired Trella to sing on many commercials jingles that I recorded in Dallas in the mid to late 1970s and early 80s. She was always fabulous and great fun to work with. Have to dig them out of my archives and listen to them again. 

July 9, 2024 3:34 pm  #5

She is terrific on that WABC "Fun" Package that's linked to in the first post.