sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 14, 2024 12:48 pm  #1

John Moore Hints At New Way For Callers To Comment On NT1010

A few days ago, John Moore was talking about how CFRB was looking into the technology that would allow callers to comment on topics that were being discussed on air, without having to actually dial into the station. Call it a sort of audible text.

Apparently, the new tech would allow listeners to make instant comments on their phones, then upload the recording directly to the radio station, where a producer would presumably analyze the contents before putting it to air. It means future chosen participants would not have to wait on hold or even be screened live, but could have their comments aired directly on air with no editing, different than just having the host read a random typed message, comment or question.

He wasn't specific about what the tech was and he didn't actually say Bell was buying into it, only that it was being explored. 

For all the latest bells and whistles in broadcasting, this one sounds pretty old fashioned to me. I remember hearing callers recorded on a station's request lines and that being played back on air as the song rolled in the 1960s and 70s. I guess if they go for it, the tech will be new, but as it was described, the idea seems as old as phones and tape machines themselves. 

June 14, 2024 12:54 pm  #2

Re: John Moore Hints At New Way For Callers To Comment On NT1010

iHeart in the US has been using this for a while. It mostly works well for Top 40 stations as it offers much better audio quality than the phone, and also works well for an audience that doesn't make many traditional phone calls in the first place. Can't imagine much of 1010's regulars embracing it.

June 14, 2024 1:55 pm  #3

Moore's small audience is too old to understand how this would work. Home and flip phones won't work

June 14, 2024 2:59 pm  #4

RadioActive wrote:

He wasn't specific about what the tech was and he didn't actually say Bell was buying into it, only that it was being explored.

I heard this remark of his too. He said NPR in the US is using it. A cursory search didn't find any particular branded technology or app being promoted in connection with NPR using it, but with the nature of NPR they might not advertise or even mention a commercial product like this anyway.

June 14, 2024 4:15 pm  #5

Jiffy-App is working with Moore to promote this new service for the chronically lazy.

June 14, 2024 5:59 pm  #6

Walter wrote:

Jiffy-App is working with Moore to promote this new service for the chronically lazy.

Why would you assume this is for the "chronically lazy"?  Some of us are not very good at tackling home repairs. Personally, anything more than changing a lightbulb, fuse or replacing the batteries in my tv remote, I am totally lost. Technology and me have a complicated relationship.

June 14, 2024 6:55 pm  #7

mace wrote:

Walter wrote:

Why would you assume this is for the "chronically lazy"?  Some of us are not very good at tackling home repairs. Personally, anything more than changing a lightbulb, fuse or replacing the batteries in my tv remote, I am totally lost. Technology and me have a complicated relationship.

Great news for Jiffy-App.  Does your dog rub his nose on the first-floor windows, too?  Oh, the hardship.

June 14, 2024 7:01 pm  #8

Moore does not want to waste his time on household work.
There are golf clubs to play at...cute little bistros to have lunch at with semi-important people he can namedrop.

June 14, 2024 7:10 pm  #9

Walter wrote:

mace wrote:

Walter wrote:

Great news for Jiffy-App.  Does your dog rub his nose on the first-floor windows, too?  Oh, the hardship.

I don't own a dog.

June 14, 2024 7:19 pm  #10

mace wrote:

Walter wrote:

mace wrote:

I don't own a dog.

Bonus!  Think of all that money you're saving on Jiffy-App bills!

June 14, 2024 8:12 pm  #11

you don't have to rub his nose in it.