sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 3, 2024 6:29 am  #1

A Must See TV Episode – But When Does It Air In Canada?

My friend, who has a U.S. satellite dish, introduced me to a show on the History Channel down there called “The Mega-Brands That Built America.” It’s a terrific dramatized documentary on some of the most successful and well known companies in the world and how they got started, usually from very humble beginnings. Somebody had to think up the things we now take for granted. 

So far, they’ve done things like hotels, explaining how Hilton and Marriott came to be. Or the companies that came up with the idea for cell phones. Or the guy who invented the Tootsie Roll.

But on Sunday, they did the best one yet – the development of transistor radios, 8-tracks, the cassette, Boomboxes, the Walkman and CDs, inventions that revolutionized the way people listen to music.

It was a tremendous look at who came up with these innovations and how they worked for years at perfecting them. It was extremely engrossing, especially finding out that just one man came up with a ton of these ideas, a guy named Lou Ottens, who singlehandedly thought up the cassette and CDs. Quite an amazing guy and his story alone is worth watching this one-hour episode.

There's also the tale of how a small one store electronics repair shop in Japan eventually came to be known by a new name - Sony. 

I’m aware this show airs on The History Channel Canada. The only problem is, I’m not exactly sure when. The show is on Canadian cable on Tuesdays at 9 PM, but they’re at least a week behind, so this particular one won’t be on here in the next few days.

But if you get this station on your cable package, I urge you to find it when it airs and DVR it. It was an incredible hour of TV about technology that’s profoundly changed all our lives. But they had to start in someone’s imagination. And this program shows you the who – and the how. Can’t recommend it enough, so check the listings to see when it airs here. 

June 3, 2024 6:48 am  #2

Re: A Must See TV Episode – But When Does It Air In Canada?

According to my Rogers Ignite guide, this weeks episode is a repeat of "Suite Dreams: Birth of the Modern Hotel.

June 3, 2024 8:13 am  #3

I think the interruption is because of Memorial Day in the States, which delayed the schedule. Hopefully, it will air next Tuesday or at least the one following 

June 3, 2024 8:41 am  #4

Worth adding that the show that followed this one was called "How Disney Built America," a 6-part exploration of the genius of Walt Disney. I didn't think it would be all that interesting, but it was excellent. I bring it up because the new episode dealt with the planning for Disney World in Orlando and how it came about. 

And the little nugget that emerged from the show is that several places were considered for the new location of the massive theme park. And one of them was Niagara Falls! They decided the amount of land needed and the weather wouldn't make it suitable, but imagine what might have been if that location had been picked! Who knew?

June 3, 2024 9:05 am  #5

This is right up my alley; thanks for the tip

June 3, 2024 10:14 am  #6

I have been taping the Disney series, pretty good so far.  There are a whole bunch in this series and they have been on for a while.  The Toys That Built America, The Food That Built America, The Mega Brands That Built America, How Disney Built America etc.  If you like business oriented documentaries these would be of interest.  All on History Channel.  The building of Disney World is on tomorrow evening at 10pm.  Two other episodes in the series are also on before Disney at 8 and 9pm. 

June 3, 2024 10:21 am  #7

I honestly thought they were taking these "How ____ Built America" stuff too far with Disney. But it's turned out to be terrific and I learned a ton of stuff I never knew about this amazing man and how forward looking he truly was. 

June 3, 2024 12:52 pm  #8

paterson1 wrote:

I have been taping the Disney series, pretty good so far.  There are a whole bunch in this series and they have been on for a while.  The Toys That Built America, The Food That Built America, The Mega Brands That Built America, How Disney Built America etc.  If you like business oriented documentaries these would be of interest.  All on History Channel.  The building of Disney World is on tomorrow evening at 10pm.  Two other episodes in the series are also on before Disney at 8 and 9pm. 

I have watched all of these series. Absolutely fascinating. Well worth your time.

June 3, 2024 12:58 pm  #9

There is one I've never seen, because it was made years ago (2017) and they don't seem to rerun it. It's called "The Cars That Made America" and it seems to be on the same theme as the others. 

Fortunately, two episodes from Season 1 are available for free with a VPN on the Roku Channel or to those with a box. 

They're here if you're interested in seeing how it stacks up with the others.

June 11, 2024 11:22 am  #10

I stull don't know when the episode of "Mega Brands" that features the origins of transistor radios, cassettes, CDs, Walkmans and DVDs debuts in Canada (keep checking the History Channel Canada listings) but it's bound to turn up here eventually. 

But now there's a new show to look for in the same vein. Beginning June 23rd in the U.S., History debuts an original new series called "The Icons That Built America," about people who made a huge impact on and changed modern culture through their work. Among those being spotlighted: 

Richard Pryor, Bruce Lee, N.W.A., George Carlin and the one I'm most looking forward to, Howard Stern. Each show traces the beginning of their careers and how they ended up influencing society, the movies, the media and more, each in their own way. 

I believe the first episode spotlights Evel Knieval, of all people, with this description:

"In 1965, a struggling motorcycle salesman desperate to juice sales at his small-town dealership comes up with a dangerous publicity stunt that not only launches him into a new career, but changes entertainment forever."

Another one to watch for, although there's no word yet on when Canadians might get the chance to see it.  

June 11, 2024 1:05 pm  #11

I've seen almost all of those shows. What's interesting is how many of these ideas - which are everyday things now - were a tough sell initially. And how many of these product founders nearly went broke attempting to achieve their dream. One wonders how many good ideas never made it to fruition for various reasons.

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

June 11, 2024 1:33 pm  #12

I love all the _________ That Built America.  Especially when they cross over.  On The Food That Built America you will often see the same actors crossing over between Candy, Fast Food, Breakfast Cereals, etc.  The innovations that went into everything that built America is fascinating.  My Journalism Professor, Stephen Kimber, just published a book called The Phelan Feud (The bitter struggle for control of a great Canadian food empire) promises to be a good read based on my fandom for these TV shows. 

June 12, 2024 12:03 pm  #13

Most of these shows are available free on Dailymotion.com

Bonus: Their free app allows you to cast their videos to a TV screen.

July 7, 2024 2:51 pm  #14

For those with access to U.S. cable, via a sat dish or a VPN, this airs tonight (Sunday) at 10 PM. I'm still not entirely sure which "Shock Jocks" (the title of the episode) are featured but you can make a pretty good guess via the description from the History Channel's website:

"For decades, the radio world has been dominated by top-40 music, while the DJ is expected to simply shut up and play the next track. But in the 1970s, two maverick broadcasters take a different approach, challenging their bosses, the rules and polite society to help create a new genre: talk radio. One will launch an all-out war with his own station as he goes to shocking lengths in a bid to for the top spot in New York, while the other will launch a political revolution on the airwaves in an effort to save AM radio from extinction."

Judging by that precis, I feel confident that they're featuring the back stories of Howard Stern and Rush Limbaugh and how both got started.

July 8, 2024 12:01 am  #15

I saw the episode at a friend’s house Sunday night.

And it was absolutely great.

As expected, it was the story of Howard Stern and Rush Limbaugh and contained some fascinating revelations about their early years in the business and how they persevered despite always facing the threat of being fired. And in too many cases, they were.

It recounted Limbaugh’s years as “Jeff Christie,” a rock jock and later, a newscaster who couldn’t keep his own opinions out of the headlines he was reading, which got him canned from KMBZ in Kansas City.

And it told the story of how Stern was fired from WWWW-FM in Detroit and also got let go from DC101 in Washington, where he first honed his now infamous style. Yet, despite taking the station from nothing to #1 in the ratings, it was too radical for management and they cut him loose. That’s when he set his sights on New York City and WNBC.

You don’t have to be a fan of either man (and I’m not) to find the stories of how they made it really interesting.

All in all, a great hour about two radio pioneers in a medium television generally ignores. I’m not sure when it will air here, but if you can see it when it finally does (or find it on the web before then), it’s definitely worth your time.  

July 8, 2024 8:05 am  #16

I missed the 10pm airing but found a repeat at 1am. I did see some of the episode but the lazyboy effect was too powerful. Zzzzzzzz. I will have to wait until it eventually comes to Canada and I can PVR it. What I did see was excellent.