sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 13, 2024 8:34 pm  #1

"Stax: Soulsville U.S.A." Doc Coming To HBO, But What About Crave?

I'm not sure who will air this north of the border, but it's probably going to be Crave. The question is when. Hopefully someone gets to see it because it looks incredible. 

It's a four-part documentary called "Stax: Soulsville U.S.A.", about Stax Records, the second most legendary soulful 60s music label after Motown.

The doc airs the first two parts in the U.S. on May 20 and the last two the next day on HBO in the States, and while I haven't heard of an airdate here yet, I'm positive it will also find a spot on Canadian cable or streaming. 

Part One is about the label's effects on soul music, part two deals with white America's reaction, the third with reviving the label after the death of Otis Redding and a merger with Atlantic Records, and the final segment addresses how this incredible studio met its end in the 70s. 

The tunes turned out from that place read like the ultimate greatest hits album: Jean Knight, Mr. Big Stuff, I'll Take You There by The Staple Singers, Booker T. & The MGs' Time Is Tight & Green Onions, Isaac Hayes' Theme From Shaft, Wilson Pickett's In The Midnight Hour and Dock Of The Bay by Otis Redding. And that's just a partial list.  

For now, I don't see it listed on Crave, but since it's the home of HBO in Canada, it's bound to end up there eventually. Keep an eye out and post the date if you spot it.

Stax Documentary A Soul Survivor

In the meantime, here's a preview:

May 13, 2024 9:31 pm  #2

Re: "Stax: Soulsville U.S.A." Doc Coming To HBO, But What About Crave?

HBO Canada has the documentary scheduled same time as in the US on May 20th.  With Crave I also get HBO Canada.  Honestly RA you always seem to think nothing runs here, or runs "eventually".  

May 13, 2024 11:12 pm  #3

Not true in this case. I checked various sources in Canada for this and all came back as "not found" here. In addition, one article I looked at said Crave is now the sole home for HBO content in Canada and the Crave site did not list the documentary. If it's on HBO Canada, which is great, I hope those who subscribe enjoy it. 

I have a friend who has a small satellite dish which gets U.S. feeds (he pays for everything he receives) and he said he would record it for me, so I'm looking forward to seeing it eventually. 

May 14, 2024 8:06 am  #4

I just subscribe to Crave, and receive 4 Crave Channels plus HBO 1 and 2 which is part of the service.  All six stream HBO material but not together.  The HBO programming is also found on Crave's On Demand service.   So the documentary will be in Craves library and available after it runs week by week on HBO to watch whenever you want. 

The first segment of STAX Soulsville USA runs on May 20th HBO Canada and available on Crave on demand.  Between the six channels none of HBO's original material will be missed and the premieres play at the same time as the US channels. since that seems to be so important.

CNN and HBO in the US is owned by Warner Discovery.  CNN constantly runs promos for new HBO series in the US.  All of the promos that CNN runs for HBO programming are also promoted on CTV's channels.  CTV produces their own promos but are promoting the same  HBO programming as CNN. 

Your friends feed of the STAX documentary will also be on HBO Canada at the same time.   

Last edited by paterson1 (May 14, 2024 8:07 am)

May 14, 2024 8:33 am  #5

I don't doubt what you say, but I visited the Crave website before my post, entered the "Stax" title in its search box and it came back repeatedly as "title not found." Frankly, that surprised me, because most of the high profile HBO programming in the U.S. is carried at the same time in Canada.

Zap2it.com listings also didn't have it. 

I am, however, very happy subscribers here will be able to see it. It sounds like a great special. 

May 14, 2024 9:03 am  #6

The series is running on HBO Canada which is part of Crave's package.  Crave will have it on demand after it runs. 

May 14, 2024 12:11 pm  #7

"Frankly, that surprised me, because most of the high profile HBO programming in the U.S. is carried at the same time in Canada."

It is being carried at the same time....like I have said about 4 times now. 

Last edited by paterson1 (May 14, 2024 12:11 pm)

May 14, 2024 1:19 pm  #8

Yes, I'm aware of that. But when it didn't turn up in the schedules of my many searches, I questioned why it wasn't there. I'm pleased to know Canadians can see this special. It looks great. 

May 14, 2024 1:43 pm  #9

If it helps any, I was able to find the following listing for it at https://www.bellmedia.ca/the-lede/press/may-2024-crave-streaming-overview/
HBO’s STAX: SOULSVILLE U.S.A, Season 1, Episodes 1-4 *Documentary Series Premiere* (May 20 at 9 p.m. ET)

May 14, 2024 1:45 pm  #10

Should have looked there! Not sure if you'll be able to see it Lorne, but as the Oldies Music Board admin, this sounds like something you'd enjoy. 

May 14, 2024 6:11 pm  #11

So far I haven't subscribed to any of the streaming services, but yes, this is certainly the kind of documentary that I'd enjoy. I'll be posting about it on the oldies board soon if no one else does. 

May 16, 2024 12:50 pm  #12

Speaking of shows worth seeing, this one premiering on Disney+ May 24th looks like a keeper. It's said to be the definitive story of The Beach Boys and the original group members have all cooperated in making the documentary. I don't have Disney+, so I won't see it, but I hope those who do subscribe can report back on whether this one has lived up to the hype. 

In the meantime, it sounds like Fun, Fun, Fun.

"It traces the Beach Boys from their humble beginnings with never-before-seen footage and new interviews with Brian Wilson, Mike Love and Al Jardine, plus other music luminaries, including Lindsay Buckingham, Janelle Monae and Don Was.

Most poignant are archived comments from late founding members Carl and Dennis Wilson. Carl died in 1998 of lung cancer; Dennis drowned in 1983 at Marina del Rey."

Beach Boys reunite through music, memories

May 20, 2024 2:17 pm  #13

A review of the Stax documentary indicates it's good - but there are a lot of important omissions.

May 20, 2024 11:35 pm  #14

Interesting that Toronto's Rob Bowman hasn't been mentioned yet. He is, after all, an advisor to this doc and did author the most comprehensive book about the topic. Soulsville U.S.A.: The Story of Stax Records.

I haven't seen Steve Cropper's name in any of the coverage either. How can you reputably reflect 1960s Memphis and the Stax Records label without Steve Cropper?

May 21, 2024 9:27 am  #15

67GreenRambler wrote:

Interesting that Toronto's Rob Bowman hasn't been mentioned yet. He is, after all, an advisor to this doc and did author the most comprehensive book about the topic. Soulsville U.S.A.: The Story of Stax Records.

I haven't seen Steve Cropper's name in any of the coverage either. How can you reputably reflect 1960s Memphis and the Stax Records label without Steve Cropper?

Actually. Steve Cropper was interviewed in several small clips.

May 21, 2024 9:53 am  #16

Watched the first episode and recorded #2.  Radio Caroline in the UK was Stax records CKLW. Their artists initially were much more popular in the UK because of the airplay on Caroline.  And sadly, treated better and respected much more as compared to back home. For the first time artists like Sam and Dave could go to any restaurant or stay at any hotel when they toured the UK.

Episode one was excellent.   The Stax story was very different than Motown, and so was the music. 

Last edited by paterson1 (May 21, 2024 9:56 am)

May 21, 2024 12:11 pm  #17

CHUM and Toronto also had a part to play in the very early success of Stax Records.  The Mar-Keys released the single Pop-Eye Stroll which was only a hit in Toronto.  It reached #2 on the CHUM chart on April 23, 1962 and stayed there for two weeks.  The song only got to #94 in the US and never showed up on the R&B charts. Wonder if CKEY charted this song too.

Last edited by paterson1 (May 21, 2024 12:22 pm)

May 22, 2024 9:41 am  #18

There is another worthy music special in the pipeline, but this one is on streaming only and a service I'm guessing a lot of us don't subscribe to. Paramount+ is debuting a new two-part documentary on a seminal divide in the music industry: the coming of file sharing. It's called "How Music Got Free."

It's about how Napster changed the entire business, affected artists and left ordinary people accused of being thieves. It's from a truly strange duo - Eninem & Lebron James. But if you happen to have this service, the trailer looks good. It debuts online June 11th.